PDA

View Full Version : Yeay Or Nay?...

Faruq
09-18-2010, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmp2_WdFoPE

This is an interesting clip as far as I'm concerned. I like the speed, but of course the question is can this be executed in actual combat as usual....

Syn7
09-19-2010, 02:39 AM
i counted 7 knives... think he needs more... dude prolly has four around each ankle...

SanHeChuan
09-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Cool Techs., but pretty standard fair, not impressive.

taai gihk yahn
09-19-2010, 11:18 AM
I think that anyone who wants to talk about breaking anything, especially necks, should first be able to discuss the specific anatomy of what exactly they believe is going to break, and to provide some sort of evidence that the techniques they are using are actually capable of doing so with predictable consistency (or at all, even) against someone who is not just standing there after they throw one punch; otherwise, they should just stick to "if you manage to hit someone here like this, it will hurt" which can be demonstrated, and not make claims that they really have no way of substantiating

Xiao3 Meng4
09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
I think that anyone who wants to talk about breaking anything, especially necks, should first be able to discuss the specific anatomy of what exactly they believe is going to break, and to provide some sort of evidence that the techniques they are using are actually capable of doing so with predictable consistency (or at all, even) against someone who is not just standing there after they throw one punch; otherwise, they should just stick to "if you manage to hit someone here like this, it will hurt" which can be demonstrated, and not make claims that they really have no way of substantiating

LOL!

What, you mean I can't just twist someone's neck and break it? :rolleyes:

We were taught two "Atlas/Axis combination lock methods." One a snap, the other a tear. The tear is way crazier, it's easier and makes much less noise because there's no bones breaking.

There're also "anti-neckbreak" twists... methods of manipulating the neck (relatively) safely.

SanHeChuan
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
We were taught two "Atlas/Axis combination lock methods." One a snap, the other a tear. The tear is way crazier, it's easier and makes much less noise because there's no bones breaking.

Prove It. :p

lkfmdc
09-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I broke Taai Gihk yaan's neck once, but he just kept talking, so I walked away :p

Syn7
09-19-2010, 12:27 PM
come on man, dont yall watch the movies??? you can break a neck with a simple twist as you run through 15 opponents... its easy, palm on chin, palm on back of head and twiiiist... dead... its easy...

Xiao3 Meng4
09-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Prove It. :p

Hold on, lemme get a wheelchair. :)

Seriously, if you look at neck anatomy, there's only the two ways to break it with torque.

Syn7
09-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Seriously, if you look at neck anatomy, there's only the two ways to break it with torque.

expand please... we both know you wanna:D

yeah these kinds of moves are the ones that are "too deadly to practice" so the ignorant and naive go on training with the false belief that it would actually work against someone in a coma, let alone a resisting opponent... any situation where you had the right position and lack of resistance to pull it off is gonna be murder, not self defence...

taai gihk yahn
09-19-2010, 01:07 PM

unless someone goes and checks out a standard orthopedic textbook, they will not understand the various structures that can be fractured / avulsed in the case of a "neck break", nor will they understand the amount of force / specific circumstances that are typically required in order for these to occur;

also, you can have a cervical vertebral fracture that will not be life threatening either, it really has to do with what part of what vertebra is involved, the direction of force, and impact on blood supply / spinal cord

to think that you have a chance of breaking someone's neck with the old "grab the chin with one hand, the back of the head with the other and twist", they will be in for a rude surprise when they encounter a little thing known as the velocity-dependent myotactic reflex arc...

Xiao3 Meng4
09-19-2010, 01:39 PM
expand please... we both know you wanna:D

yeah these kinds of moves are the ones that are "too deadly to practice" so the ignorant and naive go on training with the false belief that it would actually work against someone in a coma, let alone a resisting opponent... any situation where you had the right position and lack of resistance to pull it off is gonna be murder, not self defence...

Well, how's about I expand on something related... I'm sure people can figure out the "unsafe" method if they so choose.

There's probably not a neck or back around that hasn't felt this way, nor hasn't been cracked on purpose or inadvertently by their owners without any negative consequences. Gently turning, rotating, or rolling one's head and neck can alleviate some tension and stiffness while stretching, doing flexibility and strengthening exercises, and taking frequent short breaks from studying will also relieve back pain. Hot baths, soft music, massage, and meditation can help as well. On the other hand, having friends, partners, or other acquaintances crack your neck or back for you can cause serious damage to your vertebrae. ( http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2043.html )

A typical case was that of 24 year old Kristi Bedenbaugh who saw her chiropractor for sinus headaches. During a neck manipulation she suffered a brain stem stroke and she died three days later. Autopsy revealed that the manipulation had split the inside walls of both of her vertebral arteries, causing the walls to balloon and block the blood supply to the lower part of her brain. Additional studies concluded that blood clots had formed on the days the manipulation took place. ( http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=94 )

This risk is aggravated when the adjustment occurs during cervical extension (looking down.) A relatively small amount of torque is needed. Be warned, there are cases of people actually doing serious damage to themselves by simply trying to do a macho neck crack. Cervical compression (looking up) locks the cervical vertebrae together and actually prevents much damage. If, however, the thoracic vertebrae are isolated in 3 dimensions, then large amounts of torque can crack through the bone guard.

Xiao3 Meng4
09-19-2010, 01:40 PM
unless someone goes and checks out a standard orthopedic textbook, they will not understand the various structures that can be fractured / avulsed in the case of a "neck break", nor will they understand the amount of force / specific circumstances that are typically required in order for these to occur;

also, you can have a cervical vertebral fracture that will not be life threatening either, it really has to do with what part of what vertebra is involved, the direction of force, and impact on blood supply / spinal cord

to think that you have a chance of breaking someone's neck with the old "grab the chin with one hand, the back of the head with the other and twist", they will be in for a rude surprise when they encounter a little thing known as the velocity-dependent myotactic reflex arc...

yeah, why do I bother, you're the physio here. Check my answer and correct/add please :)

teetsao
09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
yes. this guy knows whats up. i think he has probably used this more than once. the phillipines is a rough place. he has the presence of mind and body and flow of technniques that lends me to beleive he is for real.

Faruq
09-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I'm with Teetsao. Plus Bruce, Dan and Paul Vunak all held the Filipino and Indonesian arts in the highest esteem. Of course I'd still like to see the guy in the octogon just to be sure, but it stands to reason that an elbow would be hard enough to break a knuckle, a wrist, or an elbow-joint. But back to the original question: yes I do think this guy's speed in executing his technique is impressive. But of course I'm not as skilled as you guys, so this is just a lay opinion. I mean, opinions are what keep this forum going, right? lol

ShaolinDan
09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I doubt he could make all those breaks that quick, but one or two would suffice. If the neck doesn't actually break there are still some easy take downs from that position. I think he's quite skillful, and I think the techniques are good ones. 'Course, I'm one of the people who thinks chin na can work. :)

Violent Designs
09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Catching punches in reality?

Not gonna happen.

Try to use this stuff as someone is trying to brutally break your face?

Gonna cause you to get your ass kicked.

Syn7
09-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Catching punches in reality?

Not gonna happen.

Try to use this stuff as someone is trying to brutally break your face?

Gonna cause you to get your ass kicked.

i catch arrows blindfolded as morning reflex practice... super hearing:D

Faruq
09-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Don't pro boxers catch punches on their elbows all day long protecting their ribs? I mean, at least that first break could be possible 50% of the time, couldn't it?