PDA

View Full Version : New DUI Sanctions In B.C.

Syn7
09-19-2010, 11:52 AM
so they have really toughened up the DUI laws where i live... and i agree 1000%, its about time...

if you blow over 0.8 in addition to criminal charges you get:
~a 90 day driving ban
~30 day vehicle impoundment
~mandatory responsible driving program
~mandatory ignotion lock for one year (the thing you blow in to start your ride)
~Any and all costs associated to your crime including fines, court fees etc etc...

if you blow between 0.5 and 0.8 you get
~3 day driving ban on first offence
~7 day on second offence
~30days on 3rd offence plus all other sanctions, same as blowing 0.8

LOVE IT couldnt agree more, its about time... this even seems a bit lax to me... every few weeks some kid gets run down by a drunk... anyone driving under the influence risks other peoples lives and to me, thats just unacceptable... throw the book at these selfish pussies... i feel that anyone caught DUI for the second time blowing over 0.8 should face a lifetime ban in all provinces... i dont care how easy it is to make this mistake with drunken judgement or anyones special circumstances... first time, 6 month driving ban and vehicle impoundment for that 6 months, you pay towing, processing and storage costs... after that, 2nd offence, lifetime ban and permanent vehicle impoundment... the proceeds from the vehicles sale can go to a DUI victims fund...

now here's the real irony tho... our premier was convicted of DUI in hawaii a few years back on vacation while he was in office, and he's still in office... his party applauds the new rules and says that DUI is simply "unacceptable" (unless youre on vacation in hawaii and too much of a selfish prlck to cab it or walk)... sort of reminds me of how you cant be a cop with a criminal record, but if you get a record while you are already a cop, you dont automatically lose your job... criminals telling others how to act... criminals arresting criminals... nice...

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/impaired-driving/index.htm

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/03/05/bc-impaired-driving-sanctions-changes.html

MasterKiller
09-20-2010, 06:37 AM
According to 1BlueBJJ, DUIs are no big deal. Almost as bad as Jaywalking.

BJJ-Blue
09-20-2010, 07:15 AM
According to 1BlueBJJ, DUIs are no big deal. Almost as bad as Jaywalking.

Just shut up, I never said that.

I agree with the OP, it's about time. DWI/DUI has always been pretty much decriminlaized in many areas. IMO, it's because it's hard to find lawmakers who want to toughen penalties for crimes they and other lawmakers commit. Look up the "Hobby rule" in Texas, and you will see a good example.

Look at what happened to Nick Adenhart last year. Mr Adenhart was the LA Angels pitcher who was allegedly struck and killed by a drunk driver (the trial is currently ongoing). The alleged drunk driver fled the scene, was on probation for a previous DWI, and had a suspeded drivers license. And he still isn't facing life in prison. That's wrong.

Here where I live, I see that tough enforcement helps. I live in Travis County, a liberal county. Just north is Williamson County, a 'redneck', conservative county. Travis has a big DWI problem, while in Williamson it's not near as bad. Every now and then you hear about people getting 50+ year DWI sentences in Williamson County on their 1st conviction up there. Then you find out many of those same guys had like 8 previous DWI convictions in Travis County and never did more than 30 days in jail at one time.

MasterKiller
09-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Just shut up, I never said that.

By that logic, anyone who has had a speeding ticket can be branded a criminal for life. .

Going 5 mph over the speedlimit = to getting a DUI.

BJJ-Blue
09-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Going 5 mph over the speedlimit = to getting a DUI.

Agian, I never said that. I lumped them all into "traffic offenses", yes. But different traffic offenses are worse than others.

Can you ever act like an adult? I'm really curious here. :rolleyes:

MasterKiller
09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
No, he did not. Again, please stop making things up.

It's moot. We are not discussing DWIs from the 1970s.

So was I making it up, or did Bush plead guilty to being a criminal?

David Jamieson
09-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I personally am in favour of a complete zero tolerance policy.

IE: if you are going to drive, you can't drink period. so, take a cab if you're going out, or public transit or arrange a designated driver.

If you can't do that out of respect for your fellow citizens, then I put it to you that you have a drinking problem. Or you are a narcissist who doesn't care about other people at all.

drunk driving kills hundreds if not thousands of people every year in north america.

And while millions may be responsible, it only takes one moron to change a million lives forever.

So, the laws have to be written towards those morons out there.

If you drink and drive, you are a moron. Deal with your stupidity moron.

Syn7
09-20-2010, 02:21 PM
getting behind the wheel of a deadly weapon while intoxicated is not only one of the most wantonly disrespectful things i can think of because of the randomness of the consequences... and its hardly a minor infraction... everyone who drives drunk should be treated as if they did hurt someone... just cause you got lucky doesnt change the fact that it could have happened...

to me a DUI is far worse than any property crime like burglary, even over $5000... its up right beside assault, attempted murder, negligence causing....

i have no tolerance for it... our premier did it, and he's a scumbag for it... bush did it, he's a scumbag for it... you know he was just some pompous richboy douchebag, its written all over him... he was a waste of space as a youth, and now we have to deal with the product of that waste of space who was actually given power... thats not a political opinion, thats a social opinion, he's a scumbag peice of sh!t as a human being... his father should have disowned him 30 years ago...

BJJ-Blue
09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
I agree that it's a horrible crime and that as of now the punishments are far too lenient. But I noticed that you didn't include Ted Kennedy in your rant about "scumbags" and "pompous richboy douchebags", yet he actually killed someone while drunk driving, unlike President Bush and the current Canadian Premier.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Mary_Jo_Kopechne.jpg

Syn7
09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
I agree that it's a horrible crime and that as of now the punishments are far too lenient. But I noticed that you didn't include Ted Kennedy in your rant about "scumbags" and "pompous richboy douchebags", yet he actually killed someone while drunk driving, unlike President Bush and the current Canadian Premier.

him too... he just wasnt relevant... like i said, it wasnt a political opinion and i didnt feel the same need as you to balance that out with a democrat... petty stuff man... all the kennedys are douchebags... i guess bobby wasnt as bad, but still...

whos the canadian premier again??? :rolleyes: americans know so little about other countries... probably think other countries know american news because americans are awesome... but newsflash, we also look at other countries just as much... i bet i can name more states than the average american, and i doubt many americans can name canadas provinces... or name every central american country of the top of their heads...

David Jamieson
09-20-2010, 05:34 PM
him too... he just wasnt relevant... like i said, it wasnt a political opinion and i didnt feel the same need as you to balance that out with a democrat... petty stuff man... all the kennedys are douchebags... i guess bobby wasnt as bad, but still...

whos the canadian premier again??? :rolleyes: americans know so little about other countries... probably think other countries know american news because americans are awesome... but newsflash, we also look at other countries just as much... i bet i can name more states than the average american, and i doubt many americans can name canadas provinces... or name every central american country of the top of their heads...

shhhhhh.

They must not become aware yet.

:p

Syn7
09-20-2010, 05:42 PM
just dont tell the canadian premier... :p he mustnt know or he'll warn the north american president...

MasterKiller
09-21-2010, 06:18 AM

Stop making things up.

BJJ-Blue
09-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Stop making things up.

Start acting your age.

BJJ-Blue
09-21-2010, 06:48 AM
i bet i can name more states than the average american,

Sadly, you are probably right.

MasterKiller
09-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Start acting your age.

If being an adult means accusing others of lying anytime documented facts are stated about their heroes, I'll decline.

I don't call women "dykes," either. ;)