PDA

View Full Version : IS IT INSANITY?

MAXY-DEVINE
09-29-2000, 09:32 PM
MY QUESTION IS FOR ALL THE SERIOUS LONG TIME PRACTITIONERS OF THE CHIU CHI MAN LINIAGE. I HAVE WITTNESSED QUITE A FEW OF THE OLD CHIU LUEN STUDENTS PRACTICING THEIR SETS AND FOR SOME REASON OR OTHER THE MAJORITY OF THEM WILL PERFORM THE SAME SETS DIFFERENTLY? I MEAN TOTALLY DIFFERENT MOVES, NOW WHY IS THAT? I HAVE SEEN THE WONG HON FUN GUYS AND THEY ALL DO THE SAME STUFF. WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS KIND OF TEACHING? I AM SPEAKING TO ALL SIFU AND LONG TIME SI HINGS AND I MEAN NO DISRESPECT WHATSO EVER.ALSO HAS ANYBODY EVER HEARD OF A 7 STAR SIFU NAMED CHEUNG WAH FROM NEW YORK CITYS CHINA TOWN? I TRAINED WITH HIM YEARS AGO BUT NOW I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE HE MAY BE FOUND.

AND I BEHELD SATAN CAST OUT OF HEAVEN LIKE LIGHTNING!!!

LawClansman
09-30-2000, 11:49 PM
There are several reasons why students of Sifu Chiu play their forms differently. The foremost reason is that many students "shared" forms with each other. Meaning that they did not learn all their sets from Chiu Leun personally. Sifu Chiu has been known to kick people out for that. This sharing meant that if one made a mistake, it was passed on to others.

The second reason is that not all students are alike. Some learn better and remember better than others. So the human factor is present. The next thing is the time frame in which you were at the Mott St. school.

If you were there early enough than you saw Chiu Leun execute forms with power and proper speed. He also sparred a lot with the students. If you came later, he did the forms slowly and some students never saw it the way it should be done. These students also would not take advice from older students stating that "they learn from Chiu Leun" .

As Sifu Chiu got closer to his retirement in 1983, he corrected less and less. He saw students come and go and got very disenchanted. Hence another reason for differences.

Many students stopped training for a time and started back relying on memory instead of notes.

And some students payed for private classes and learned a form in a day. Easy to forget something or misremember that way.

But there is hope! Sifu Chiu has been working closely with all aspects of my school. We had our Grand opening of the school on Thursday. Sifu Chiu demonstrated techniques and Mantis principles. He is becomming more involved with what is going on in Mantis today.

There are actually only a few of us that were certified to teach by Sifu Chiu.
Sifu Chiu has told us that he will oversee uniformity in our forms (the older students) We are planning to work together (all that are willing) for greater organization. Since this is headed by Chiu Leun personally, there really should not be any objection. In addition to this, I am working on a book or books to document many forms according to Sifu Chiu's wishes. The future looks good.

Sifu Cheung Wah has been contacted but has made no commitments. We hope to see him soon.

Sifu Car

[This message was edited by LawClansman on 10-01-00 at 04:56 PM.]

MAXY-DEVINE
10-01-2000, 12:38 AM
sifu carl albrright many thanks for your wonderfull reply,its good to know that one can ask an honest question and receive an honest reply. again many thanks

AND I BEHELD SATAN CAST OUT OF HEAVEN LIKE LIGHTNING!!!

Nathan
10-02-2000, 07:38 AM
As one of the people working on this project that Carl is speaking of, I would just like to say officially:

Any old Chiu Luen students interested in getting involved in the standardization of Chiu Luen forms please contact us. All OLD students are welcome, if interested. Part of the this standardization is not only, which move goes into a particular form, but also what name each movement will be called. Some moves have more than one historical name. We will try record the various names a move it called for preservation reasons, but will choose one or two versions of what a movement is called for standardization purposes.

Many of martial and ther physical movement art systems have done through this process of fine tuning, with survived and enjoyed it.

Please Note: This refinement of forms first relates to particular number of forms that Chiu Luen has outlined to us recently. These forms represent the core of what most teachers and students know in our sect, who have studied the system over the years. These forms will also be PART OF the basis for various levels of certification the under Chiu Luen's Northern Sil-lum Temple Seven Star Praying Mantis Association revised curriculum.

The more advanced forms are less of an issue because very few people know them and the ones that do know them pretty much know each other. Although, those forms will also be reviewed in time.

Nathan

Northern Sil-lum Temple Seven Star Praying Mantis Association
nathan@digitalavatar.org