PDA

View Full Version : Dwight C. Edward Article: Credit When Credit is Due!!

Nathan
10-02-2000, 06:44 AM
Dwight C. Edward Article in the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, Volume 9-Number 3~2000. ISSN 1057-8358 WWW.GOVIAMEDIA.COM (http://WWW.GOVIAMEDIA.COM)

Mr. Edward article, I would say represents a level of scholarship that has long been forgotten by some in the Northern Mantis English writing and publishing community in America. Of course, Hong Kong and Mainland Chinese writers on our system are way ahead of western ones, in producing technical articles on our system.

In Mr. Edward's the article it says he is a student of Jon Funk. While our sects in the past have had differences of opinion, they are in the same general mantis family and devoted martial arts, and should get credit of their work. So to Mr. Edward, Mr. Funk and those who helped get this article published you have done a fine ago.

It is a clear article, which states that facts and DOES NOT was the reader times on mantis gossip.

While the material some may say is not new, that is not the point. The article presents the material in an academic format, which means it has references that reader can research on their own.

It is also published in mostly the most serious no nonsense English martial art publication in the western.

I highly suggest that our younger forum reader take Mr. Edward's example and research not gossip.

An example been made or rather a standard or sorts has been set, who will meet it? We are trying in our small and slow rather way through our website, www.DigitalAvatar.org/7star.htm. (http://www.DigitalAvatar.org/7star.htm.)

I would love for others in the northern mantis community to better us old men in research and scholarship. It really would not be that hard, after all not that much has really been done. Excuse me, Mr. Edward and Mr. Funk I am sure you’re at least a little younger than me, I hope.

Once again, nice article.

Nathan
Northern Sil-lum Temple Seven Star Praying Mantis Association
nathan@digitalavatar.org

Nathan
10-02-2000, 06:55 AM
Resubmitted because of error. Now, you know why I don't write myself, I ‘m a bad editor of my own work.

Dwight C. Edward Article in the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, Volume 9-Number 3~2000. ISSN 1057-8358 WWW.GOVIAMEDIA.COM (http://WWW.GOVIAMEDIA.COM)

Mr. Edward's article, I would say represents a level of scholarship that has long been forgotten by some in the Northern Mantis, English writing, and publishing community in America. Of course, Hong Kong and Mainland Chinese writers on our system are way ahead of western ones, in producing technical articles on our system.

In Mr. Edward's article it says he is a student of Jon Funk. While our sects in the past have had differences of opinion, they are in the same general mantis family and devoted martial arts, and should get credit of their work. So to Mr. Edward, Mr. Funk and those who helped get this article published you have done a FINE JOB.

It is a clear article, which states that facts and DOES NOT was the reader times on mantis gossip.

While the material some may say is not new, that is not the point. The article presents the material in an academic format, which means it has references that reader can research on their own.

It is also published in mostly the most serious no nonsense English martial art publication in the western.

I highly suggest that our younger forum reader take Mr. Edward's example and research not gossip.

An example, been made or rather of standard or sort has been set, who will meet it? We are trying in our small and slow rather way through our website, www.DigitalAvatar.org/7star.htm. (http://www.DigitalAvatar.org/7star.htm.) I would love for others in the northern mantis community to better us old men in research and scholarship. Excuse me, Mr. Edward and Mr. Funk I am sure you’re at least a little younger than me, I hope.

Once again, nice article.

Nathan
Northern Sil-lum Temple Seven Star Praying Mantis Association
nathan@digitalavatar.org

wisdom mind
10-04-2000, 08:05 PM
the url does not seem to work for 7star....

Nathan
10-05-2000, 08:54 PM
try it without the period on the end

Nathan

www.DigitalAvatar.org/7star.htm (http://www.DigitalAvatar.org/7star.htm)

wisdom mind
10-05-2000, 09:24 PM
I can see! Thanks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

molum_jr
10-13-2000, 07:55 AM
As you had mentioned, the article was a re-introduction/rehash(?) of character formulas that had been previously introduced in martial arts magazines (Inside Kungfu w/Brendan Lai, and w/Jon Funk...).

It was short and not as interesting (compared to some of the informative debates on this forum) as your build up. The notes and the bibliography does not really make the short article (less than four pages of written text) more scholarly. It is just English 101A of referencing written sources. Aren't most of the info a translation from Wong, Hon-Fan's 7* series? IMHO it seemed more of a technical protocol article, and less thought provoking. I am definitely spoiled due to your previous postings and your sihing's. I was hoping that there would be some more extensive info concerning Wong, Hon-Fan(sp?)and his peers.

In other word, I think you would have written a much better article. Hope you do!