PDA

View Full Version : Attention everyone on the forum this concerns you !!!

Wongsifu
10-30-2001, 03:19 AM
Its 3:00 am +++ and i have had an inspiration
What could the whole of us guys here do on the forum to further the good of martial arts , we spend ages and ages every day on the forum we are sick with martial arts, and yet we have never undertook a project we can all help with. Wether we are video game warriors or we hate ashida kim , wether we practise bjj or chen tai ji. THere must be something we can do, even if its wirte an e-book with what we believe to be the essence of martial arts and our training.

THis came to me when i said on one of my posts that kung fu is dying and it is a sad fact that traditional kung fu will dissapear in china before it does in the west.

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Richie
10-30-2001, 03:22 AM
That is one of the reason I'm trying to start this tournament.

Wongsifu
10-30-2001, 03:26 AM
oh **** sorry richie i thougt you were just another lamo, trying to make a buck out of kung fu looking stupid. Listen i'll drop you an e-mail and we can talk more seriously.

They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

ma_newbie
10-30-2001, 03:39 AM
I will gladly put together a web site all about martial arts techniques etc. if people will submit articles and such to me. Seriously.

Someone will have to host it though. It could include techniques and such, because there really aren't any good technique sites around.

It could include training, all styles, specific techniques, drills, etc, etc, etc.

I am good w/ web pages, and I could eventually add vids and pics if anyone has means to create them. I will also give credit where it's due.

--------------

Xebsball
10-30-2001, 03:45 AM
Yea, lets do something. If someone comes up with a good idea i give total support.

The tournament is a good idea that could be worked on.

I was thinking of writing an article on Yin/Yang Footwork on martial arts, but then i didnt know if had the skills to write such thing since im kind of a newbie. But now i guess i'll try to do it anyway.

-------------------------
I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt
I'm too sexy for your mother, too sexy for your mother
So sexy, YEAH

HuangKaiVun
10-30-2001, 04:11 AM
Traditional kung fu is alive and well in China, though it's not always visible to the media eye.

The lineages of closed-door training persist. In fact, nonChinese are becoming disciples at a rate unequalled in history.

Similarly, each one of you guys who posted here is keeping kung fu alive and well. Even Ralek has his part in doing this - by stirring us to practice harder to refute his claims.

An e-book would be great, but you guys are already doing your part to keep the traditions going.

gazza99
10-30-2001, 04:13 AM
For a website I believe you can get a free one through freeservers.com?

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

Water Dragon
10-30-2001, 04:18 AM
Well, you can start by posting on my Ultimate Body Mechanics thread. It'd be kinda nice to have a thread full of power development exercises.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Kung Lek
10-30-2001, 05:00 AM
guys, I have been asking for link submissions as a resource for all martial arts from you for about a month now.

you can also submit links to pretty much any martial art here at kungfu/qigong magazine as well as other sites.

Martial arts is growing in the minds of many again. It is not dying, it is continuing to evolve and spread.

Never before in history has Chinese martial arts been so wide spread across the world.

There are many who are forwarding the propogation of them, many resources are available. Unfortunately, some questionable material gets mixed in, but a lot of it is good.

Look around, you will see.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Royal Dragon
10-30-2001, 05:08 AM
Add my link to the melting pot!! I even have a message board there!!! :cool:

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

Kung Lek
10-30-2001, 05:12 AM
ok, rd, the links will be updated this weekend coming up.

I'll browse through your site. Thanks.

peace

Kung Lek

ma_newbie
10-30-2001, 05:13 AM
Don't do that. Instead, link here! It's better to have everyone in one place, in my opinion.

--------------

ma_newbie
10-30-2001, 05:16 AM
... but anyway:

If we do a collaborative effort and make a good web site with lots of articles and such, we would want a decent host and such. Freeservers or whatever wouldn't cut it for what I have in mind.

If everyone wrote the same kind of stuff they write on the board in a "formal" article, it would be quality web site material. I would have someone(s) evaluate it to ensure nothing incorrect is posted.

If everyone submitted a few articles or techniques, we could have a hundred or so right off.

--------------

ma_newbie
10-30-2001, 05:20 AM
My e-mail is robertadams21@yahoo.com

Anything of substance relating to MA or MA fitness is okay. Anything from a couple good drills to planning an exercise regiment would be great. Wouldn't you want a lot of this kind of information all in one place? It could eliminate the need for many simple questions on the board.

I can make it tommorow, I have a library aid class where I do whatever I want.

--------------

tsunami surfer
10-30-2001, 08:36 AM
GREAT idea wongsifu. I would love to contribute an article.

Kristoffer
10-30-2001, 11:29 AM
It could be linked to Kungfuonline.com (or that new jkdhardcore-something.com) this place is a heaven for martial artists. greatest forum in the world, all other MA forums on the internet really SUCK when compared to this. This site should therefor have alot of artickles about training, "real fights" that some might have and an analasys of these by great martial artists. like, "what u should do in a situation like that" with tecniques, not only written but explained in images. articles on power building ( ;) ), ground fighting and chi!! How martial arts affect us in our life, at work, in marriage and in a crowded bar or whatever :D
Articles on old masters, founders like uhh O-sensei (not sure about this but you know, he who made Aikido. the one with the beard.)
*martial art quotes. funny, true or whatever.

Philosofy from great texts like art of War, the I-ching and Book of 5 rings and Lao Tze.

I think that http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan/index.html is what I would like to see kungfuonline become. Only about ALL MA, not only a few styles. Great lay-out, amazing old cool pics mixed with new ones. Alot of detailed articles that really makes u think. and whatever,,, check it out!

I think that Kung lek's site with links is good. That is a small step to what I dream of seeing on a martial arts web-page that could be called, complete.

I wish you all good luck!!

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

freestyler
10-30-2001, 01:16 PM
I think a dedicated site with a library of styles and their forms (or drills, etc) in the form of drawings/descriptions and video demonstrations would be an awesome way to make a central reference to martial arts techniques. It can be in directory format with a search function.
I haven't seen one yet, but think of how many millions of martial artists would be looking at it, there would be lots of revenue potential here.
This would of course **** off alot of book publishers. :-)
I'm working for a web company, anyone want to help out?

Kung Lek
10-30-2001, 01:40 PM
ma-newbie

by your own admission you know very little about martial arts with your single week of jkd.

How do you intend to evaluate the arts of people here?
What is wrong with teh archived articles here and having only "one" site is not a good idea at all.

eggs/basket

peace

Kung Lek

Wongsifu
10-30-2001, 03:03 PM
boy its great to see so many people coming together for a project like this , i think it would be great to have a library of things here on the forum like freestyler said , or link to it from the forum, because it can be things we have done to promote martial arts , wether its video clips of us demonstrating how to do a technique correctly to our articles, because lets face it , the internet is the future.
Or we could start out designing a website and find some hostign and it could evolve from there, you know good stuff on it, like how to really train iron palm, recipies for jow, bagua footwork, pressure point striking, the ultimate fighting thread ;) and raleks video game techniques.

I believe once it starts rolling we can organise things from there.

Xebsball
10-30-2001, 04:57 PM
There is already a site with many of the feature you guys said, but you have to pay for membership to get the forms and other stuff. The articles are free.

So sexy, YEAH

HopGar
10-30-2001, 05:12 PM
I'm all for it. Here's two links for Hop Gar - one is mine, (btw - if your computer uses arial as the default font, it'll look messed up but it isn't): www.hopgar.com (http://www.hopgar.com) and www.atlchai.org/yastudents/02karz/webdesignpages.htmlI'm (http://www.atlchai.org/yastudents/02karz/webdesignpages.html[b]I'm) all for it.

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

HopGar
10-30-2001, 05:13 PM
sorry that last link it www.atlchai.org/yastudents/02karz/webdesignpage2.html (http://www.atlchai.org/yastudents/02karz/webdesignpage2.html) Again, I'm all for this.

Zvika

"He's not dead, 'es resting! Well if 'e's resting, I'll wake him up! 'Ello Mr. Polly Parrot...." -Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch

ma_newbie
10-30-2001, 05:24 PM
I didn't say I would evaluate them myself (at least I don't think I did), I said I would have OTHERS evaluate them. I am aware I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

I also just mean not to make another forum. For forums, people can come here. For techniques, articles, and everything else informative people can go to the web site I have in mind. I can build it, I just neet people to write the information. I will give credit to everyone. I also figure that if a lot of people submit work and such, I could get it hosted myself, but that's just looking into the future.

This would be independent from KFO but I would make a link here for forums, and links to all other informative pages or pages with links or anything else.

There just aren't any good, comprehensive technique sites around.

Also, this wouldn't be anything like "Kung-Fu Technique" or "JKD Technique" it would be ANYTHING people submit that is worth reading and martial arts or fitness related.

Here are the four broud categories I can think of off the top of my head:

Techniques
Drills
Fitness
Opinion

What else?

--------------

sultanpro
10-30-2001, 07:05 PM
I do graphic art,i'am willing to help in any way possible!!(logo's,pictures,typesetting,buttons,
jpeg's)

Skard

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

Shaolin36
10-30-2001, 07:28 PM
I think we need to have a section on mental awareness and spirituality. We dont want people thinking Kung Fu is for violence. If at all, this is the first part that I see would go-we must keep it alive!

Watchman
10-30-2001, 11:00 PM
Everything you guys are harping on is already being done over at Cyberkwoon.

ma_newbie
10-30-2001, 11:32 PM
I am talking about something free to all, and he says he has "over 100 techniques..." which means we could do better than that. He is also limited to Kung-Fu, whereas what I have in mine would be all forms, which means ALL legit forms. Not just Chinese, or anythin.

Get what I'm sayin?

Yeah spirituality and such would be nice to add as well. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I wouldn't put it in the site. :)

Also... sorry I couldn't get a basic site up today I had some unexpected work to do. I can do it by Friday most likely.

--------------

Shooter
10-31-2001, 02:04 AM
Watchman is correct...

Royal Dragon
10-31-2001, 02:49 AM
You listening? Great Idea's here for KFO!!!!

No need for a new site guys, let's just make Gene do it here!!!

"Chi is Chinese for Spinach"

Check out the Royal Dragon Web site

http://www.Royaldragon.4dw.com

bamboo_ leaf
10-31-2001, 03:00 AM
I also posted this at cyberkwoon; I would like to share the idea here. How about starting an informal regional meeting plce with some of the members on the this BBS. Not about competition but just to see and share some ideas with people on something that we all care deeply about. Even if it’s just meeting to drink some tea it would be good.

If people travel it would also be a way of hooking up with other CMA to train or find places / people that train their in their styles.

bamboo leaf

Polaris
10-31-2001, 05:39 AM
Do you really think you could keep it free, I mean wouldn't the bandwith get pricey?

herring
10-31-2001, 06:20 AM
How bout a sparring partner locating feature.

Ever have trouble locating a sparring partner? I do and I am ssure others do also. Perhaps a listing by state of available and willing sparring partners(no names needed for the weary).

S.Teebas
10-31-2001, 04:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Everything you guys are harping on is already being done over at Cyberkwoon. [/quote]

LOL...i was thinking the same thing.

Kaitain(UK)
10-31-2001, 05:23 PM
that we can use - no ads, 200MB space, PHP, ASP, streaming media

email me on:
chutney_boy@lineone.net

I'll happily provide space and I can code a bit, but I don't have huge amounts of time (family, job, training etc)

The bandwidth concerns are valid but since I pay 200 pounds a year for the space I think we can cope to start with...

Sounds good anyway

and if Cyberkwoon do it already, it's not important is it? As long as we do something sufficiently different...

BTW the URL I have at the moment is www.debouch.com (http://www.debouch.com) - nothing there at the moment as I use it for SQL stuff

btw - Debouch means "move into less confined area: to move from an enclosed or confined area into more open terrain"

I liked the name so I registered it a long time ago :)

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Kaitain(UK)
10-31-2001, 05:29 PM
I'll chuck it on my office server - but keep that vewwy qwuiet :)

we pay 400 pounds a month for that bandwidth - so nay hassle :)

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Xebsball
10-31-2001, 05:38 PM
I like the sparring partner idea.

So sexy, YEAH

ma_newbie
11-01-2001, 12:24 AM
Good ideas. I like the sparring partner thing too. I start working on the site tonight...

Anyway, WHO DELETED MY THREAD SEEKING INFORMATION!?

And why?

That wasn't very nice. :(

--------------

ma_newbie
11-01-2001, 04:15 AM
Please send submissions to :

robertadams21@yahoo.com

I haven't gotten a single one.

--------------

ffab@cyberkwoon.
11-01-2001, 07:38 AM
I spent at least the last 6 years doing all you proposed. CyberKwoon has now forms and video from most MA around [by some of the most capable experts]. Our site takes now up to 800 Mb of disk space, with a monthly bandwidth of 28 Gb.
You will realize one day that Internet is not free anymore.
Bandwidth/server costs money, acquiring content costs money, editing content costs money.
Most of the ppl running big MA sites are really dedicated. See here, costs more than $1500 [wild guess] / mo for this forum only. If Gene and his company were not dedicated they would have stopped for a long time [I do believe that what the users of this forum buy on MartialArtsMart.com is far to balance the expenses].
Cyberkwoon model is pay membership, our members pay to access our graphical and video database, thus they help to cover the cost created by the service.

Ok this said, if you want to contribute to cyberKwoon, ie. write articles, send forms and stuff like that, it was, is and will still be our policy to grant free membership to contributors.
As I often say, you always have to pay but sometimes not with money.

We also help and support valid projects, like the NorthStar Project or communities for non-english speaking users.

Finally, many seems interested with this project, but how many can really do something to make it work ?

--------------------------
CyberKwoon.com Forums (http://www.cyberkwoon.com/html/)
Martial Arts Databases

Watchman
11-01-2001, 08:58 AM
What I said. ;)