PDA

View Full Version : Let Me In

Jimbo
10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I saw this today and was pretty impressed. Because I really like the original Swedish version, Let The Right One In. I was concerned they might flub this remake, but was glad they did it as well as a remake could be done.

Chloe Grace Moretz plays the girl who moves in next door to a lonely, bullied 12-year-old boy. Moretz seems to be developing a pattern of screen characters who kick @ss, just like the title of her last(?) film. This one is different, and though set in New Mexico instead of Sweden, it stays true to the original. The young stars do a great job in the acting department, as well. It's a very good remake of my all-time favorite vampire film. Let Me In, and esp. the original it's based on, have to be the most believable movies dealing with the genre of traditional cinematic vampire lore. But if you're looking for lots of action, like the Underworld series, or underwear model-looking types as in the Twilight movies, you might be disappointed.

Another extra for me is that it's by Hammer Films, the British film company that made all the great Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee (and others) horror films from the 1950s into the '70s. I thought that Hammer Films had ceased existing sometime in the '70s, and I'm not sure if they've been around this whole time or have been resurrected. Hammer was to British horror what Shaw Brothers was to HK kung fu films.

ghostexorcist
10-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I've been wanting to buy the novel the original movie is based on. I will definitely go see the move a.s.a.p!

Jimbo
10-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Box-office numbers were pretty low this week overall, but I'm surprised at how weak the opening was for Let Me In. It ended up at number 8 with only $5.3 million. Especially considering the time of year it is.

mickey
10-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi Jimbo,

Thank you for the review. I will be looking out for it. I saw the Swedish version and thought it was one of the best that I have seen.

Since you like vampire flicks keep a lookout for "Blood and Donuts." It came out several years ago and slipped under the radar of a lot of people.

mickey

Jimbo
10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
mickey,
I'll keep that title in mind. Thanks.

A bit off-topic, but one good movie that's no longer available that I've been wanting for a long time is Quartermass and the Pit, (a.k.a., Five Million Years to Earth). It was made by Hammer Films, about the ancient remains of alien invaders discovered in a London subway. It's an odd film but is very atmospheric.

darnoc
10-25-2010, 09:58 AM
jimbo and mickey
fyi Hammer did shut for a while and the problems now they have been resurected (no pun intended) is that they do not own alot of their films as they were done in partnership with other distributors so copyright is a major problem. But you can get DVD box sets from the official sites, www.hammerfilmsart.com, www.hammerfilms.com.

ghostexorcist
10-25-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm about 170 pages into the novel. The whole pedophile thing was an angle that you don't really read about in traditional vampire novels.