PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Mats

Iron_Eagle_76
10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Looking for a good set of mats reasonably priced for my new school, found these online and was wondering if anyone uses them or knows anything about them:

http://www.realjitsuacademy.com/mats.html

They are decently priced but being how thin they are (I read somewhere 5/8 or 1/2 inch thick) I don't think they would be good for throws and takedowns, even though the website claims they are. Anyway, if anyone has experience with these I would appreciate your opinions on them.

EarthDragon
10-04-2010, 08:17 AM
I would stay away from these cheap mats, they are very thin and have no shock absorbtion for falling, even controled falling, and they dont last too long.
I contacted a bunch of high school and colleages in my area and asked about purchasing old wrestling mats......................many a calls did I make, so be prepared but then the director of P.E called me from a college and dontated one to my school, its beautiful 30x30 and free! try that route first.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-04-2010, 08:18 AM
I would stay away from these cheap mats, they are very thin and have no shock absorbtion for falling, even controled falling, and they dont last too long.
I contacted a bunch of high school and colleages in my area and asked about purchasing old wrestling mats......................many a calls did I make, so be prepared but then the director of P.E called me from a college and dontated one to my school, its beautiful 30x30 and free! try that route first.

Already have, none of the schools or colleges in my area have any to donate, believe that would be my first choice.

EarthDragon
10-04-2010, 08:25 AM
ahh, thats sux, OK then try this frame 2X4's around the section of floor you want mattedr and purchase genaric foam pads (very inexpenasive), then go to a near by tarp store and have them make you a tarp with gromet holes then you can strech and screw them down.
This is very inexpensive to do, you can choose the color of the floor and also the thickness off the pad.

MasterKiller
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Looking for a good set of mats reasonably priced for my new school, found these online and was wondering if anyone uses them or knows anything about them:

http://www.realjitsuacademy.com/mats.html

They are decently priced but being how thin they are (I read somewhere 5/8 or 1/2 inch thick) I don't think they would be good for throws and takedowns, even though the website claims they are. Anyway, if anyone has experience with these I would appreciate your opinions on them.

Those are basically just good for floor covering. You can roll on them, but you CANNOT!!!! throw people or spar on them.

You need 1.5- to 2.0-in. mats for sparring. Mats are the most expensive thing you'll need for a school, but also the most necessary piece of safety equipment you'll own.

I use Dollamur roll up mats and Zebra mats. I got the Zebra mats about 1/2 price from a BJJ school that was closing.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Those are basically just good for floor covering. You can roll on them, but you CANNOT!!!! throw people or spar on them.

You need 1.5- to 2.0-in. mats for sparring. Mats are the most expensive thing you'll need for a school, but also the most necessary piece of safety equipment you'll own.

I use Dollamur roll up mats and Zebra mats. I got the Zebra mats about 1/2 price from a BJJ school that was closing.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have 2 6 x 4 x 2 dollarmur mats to use, which is small but useable, just trying to look at other cheaper alternatives, although cheaper I know is not always better. But right now I am working with what I have and don't have 1500- 2000 to drop on matting a large area.

MasterKiller
10-04-2010, 09:25 AM
this place isn't bad

http://www.matsmatsmats.com/wrestling/

dimethylsea
10-04-2010, 09:35 AM
We have Zebra striking mats..

1" thick. This is what they look like (on the Zebra mats site btw)
http://www.zebramats.com/images/cache/en/ecommerce/catalogItem/image2/56/Conscious_dancers3.jpg-237

TenTigers
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Diethalymide-I have the same ones-what do you clean'em with?

TenTigers
10-04-2010, 10:06 AM
I have a bunch of unused red century mats-too hard for throwing, but you would need to pick them up
they are listed on craig's list
20 pcs of RED interlocking puzzle mats. Covers 185.2 sq. ft.
never used, still in plastic wrapping.
$ 430.

mooyingmantis
10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Mats!?!?!? You are suppose to use mats for throwing arts? :confused:
Back in the day our instructor only threw us on CRUSHED GLASS.
You bunch of nancy-boys!!! LOL!!!

Tongue firmly inserted in Cheek!

MasterKiller
10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Tongue firmly inserted in Cheek! That's not KC's tongue....

KC Elbows
10-04-2010, 01:31 PM
If the uki kept their tongue firmly inserted in cheek on the throw, they wouldn't need mats.

Too many of the traditions have been lost.

TenTigers
10-04-2010, 01:35 PM
and for good reason, too.

KC Elbows
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Like your form doesn't do Wu Song licks the split baozi.

dimethylsea
10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Diethalymide-I have the same ones-what do you clean'em with?

Water with a touch of pine-sol. It's not like they get really dirty cause I don't let the newbs wear shoes on them, and we try not to bleed on the mats. We have class twice a week so it's not like they get the wear and tear you'd get in a commercial gym.

MasterKiller
10-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Water with a touch of pine-sol. It's not like they get really dirty cause I don't let the newbs wear shoes on them, and we try not to bleed on the mats. We have class twice a week so it's not like they get the wear and tear you'd get in a commercial gym.

If you're only striking, that might be fine. If you do ANY wrestling at all, you need to use bleach/ammonia.

TenTigers
10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
um, MK meant Bleach OR ammonia. If you mix bleach with ammonia, you make chlorine gas, which will kill you.
unless...MK is really HW in disguise, and he's trying to kill all the clueless MMA guys..?
Hey..you don't suppose....?

Nah.

MasterKiller
10-06-2010, 06:10 AM
um, MK meant Bleach OR ammonia. If you mix bleach with ammonia, you make chlorine gas, which will kill you.
unless...MK is really HW in disguise, and he's trying to kill all the clueless MMA guys..?
Hey..you don't suppose....?

Nah.

D'oh!

Right! One or the other. Never both.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/df7aebaf-32d9-4d17-ad68-15e5872b16de.jpg