PDA

View Full Version : 8 cardinal points

EarthDragon
10-06-2010, 08:43 PM
In 8 step we have what we call the 8 cardinal points which remind us of what to think about while in combat situations, they are as follows
1. continous movemnet with each technique giving birth to the next.
2. close the enemy using the long hand, destroy the enemy at close range using the
short hand
3. attack high to open the low area, attack low to open the high area
4. when attacking right defend the left when attacking left defend the right
5. attack and defend simultaniously since all actions are neither offensive nor defensive
6. all actions must be natural and reflexive, dont think act
7. stay relaxed and change the stepping pattern
8. in action there is stillness, in stillness there is action

I am curious to see what other styles share simular rules of engagment adn how they are used in fighting situations

Dragonzbane76
10-07-2010, 04:42 AM
fighting happens to fast you don't have time to think back to a form or whatever to remember how to fight. whatever you've learned better be muscle memory not cognative thinking in that situation.

Just my opinion on that.

David Jamieson
10-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Why are they called cardinal points?

For instance, on a compass there are four cardinal points and four ordinal (intercardinal) points.

This is the only definition of the term in a dictionary.

Does this stem from a language barrier?

Shouldn't they be your 8 precepts? or Axioms of the style?

EarthDragon
10-07-2010, 08:21 AM
dragon,

fighting happens to fast you don't have time to think back to a form or whatever to remember how to fight. whatever you've learned better be muscle memory not cognative thinking in that situation.

Perhaps I said that wrong, I obviously didnt mean thinking of these WHILE you were fighting, but more or less rules to follow and ingrain so you use them while you are fighting.

David J, I am not sure where the name came from this is what we are taught.

David Jamieson
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
David J, I am not sure where the name came from this is what we are taught.

yes, i had assumed that. That's why i wonder if it's a language barrier thing. It's an interesting use of the word in context to how it's being used.

cheers

EarthDragon
10-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Possibly, my teacher is from Tawian and his english is limited, so while learning from him I had to understand Chinese... that was easier said then done.

mooyingmantis
10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Earthdragon,
Yes, very similar principles to ours. Thanks for sharing those!

-N-
10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I am curious to see what other styles share simular rules of engagment adn how they are used in fighting situations

Doesn't everybody fight like that?

EarthDragon
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
LOL you would think so but after talking with many other styles you would be suprised how simplified they seem, but maybe I'm just biased.

YouKnowWho
10-08-2010, 12:53 PM
In "戰跤 Chan Chiao (CC)" the engagment rules are much simpler. You have your 1st fight this way. You have your 1,000 fight still the same way.

- contact your opponent's leading leg.
- contact his leading arm.
- use his leading arm to jam his back arm and enter his side door, or
- get inside both of his arms and enter his front door.
- apply your favor "finish moves".

Here is an example: http://johnswang.com/Paul_knee_seize.wmv