PDA

View Full Version : kajukenbo?!?

hungga_disciple
11-30-2000, 09:53 PM
I heard of kajunkenbo but my knowledge stops at which arts it has taken from. Is this any good as a mixed martial art style? does it have any internal if so anything in the ny,nj area?

MASTERMAN
11-30-2000, 11:54 PM
Check out Long Island NY. Look for Tracys Kenpo in Masapequa and Plainview NY. Very good traditional Kenpo with Chinese sets. They have parallel roots to Kajukenpo. Chow, Emperado and James Mitose and the rest.

Good Luck,

Dave S

Stranger
12-01-2000, 06:11 AM
Ka = Karate (both Japanese and Korean style were incorporated

Ju= Danzan Ryu Jujutsu and "old school" Kodokan Judo

Ken= Kenpo (I believe William Chow style via Emperado himself)

Bo= Chinese Boxing (I have no idea what style)

yamato_damashii
12-01-2000, 07:04 AM
Ka for karate; actually Tang Soo Do
Ju for judo and jujutsu, although I do not recall ever hearing a specific jujutsu ryu mentioned
Ken for kenpo; Emperado sifu studied directly under Chow's teacher, James Mitose
Bo for Chinese boxing, again no specific style

Emperado also brought a knowledge of Filipino Kali into the mix. I have heard some students say that there are some very basic qigong exercises at the high dan levels.

Overall, it is definitely one of the best eclectic styles available--not one guy getting a couple of black belts, but five instructors comparing notes for years.

Jason C. Diederich

Co-Founder, Yiu Dai S'uun Ancient Martial Arts
10,316th generation Dai Soke in an unbroken line of NHB Shaolin Ninja Marine successors
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/rightway/yamato_damashii/

Stranger
12-01-2000, 07:46 AM
Danzan Ryu was a modern eclectic jujustsu popular in Hawaii during this period. I beleive Danzan is a Chinese word and serves as an indication of the multi-cultural influence on the founders training. Wally Jay was a student of this style, before he created Small Circle Jujutsu.

Kempomon
07-02-2001, 05:13 AM
Just wanted to mention that my style of Kempo is directly descended from Kajukenbo. From what I understand,what we use is almost exactly like Kajukenbo, we just use less. For example, technique #4 in our system exists in Kajukenbo along with about 3 or 4 variations. As far as how good it is, I personally think that Kempo is very effective for self-defense and since it is basically simplified Kajukenbo, I think Kajukenbo would be good as well. That's assuming you find a good teacher. I do know that the guys who invented Kajukenbo would go get in bar-fights and stuff and only use techniques that worked, so if you find a good school you can bet on it being effective on the street.

phantom
07-02-2001, 06:31 PM
I think it is overrated. Two different kajukenbo guys lost against Shotokan guys, and I do not think Shotokan is anything special.

JerryLove
07-02-2001, 07:03 PM
If I understand yamoto properly, the deriviations include...

Kara'te, literally "Chinese Hand" (prior to being changed) an Okinawan art based of CMA.

Kempo, literally "Chinese fist", an Okinawan art based off CMA.

And Tang Soo Do, literally "Way of the Chinese hand" (Tang referring to the Tang's, or Tang dynasty), an Okinawan art based on CMA.

I see a pattern.....

Budokan
07-02-2001, 09:38 PM
I agree with Phantom. I take shotokan and it's not anything special. Neither is any other martial art.

But he forgot to mention that.

K. Mark Hoover

phantom
07-02-2001, 11:52 PM
I apolgize if I offended you, Budokan. I just thought I should mention what my research has shown me.

phantom
07-03-2001, 12:10 AM
For more info on that, see my response in the karate thread. No hard feelings, okay? Peace. :D

Laine Nakachi
07-23-2001, 09:58 AM
I heard of Kajukenbo but my knowledge stops at which arts it has taken from .
Is this any good style ? does it have any internal if so anything in the ny ,nj
area ?

The Bo section of the kajukenbo system comes from chinese boxing , kung fu.Clarence Chang .

There are 4 branches:
Kajukenbo kenpo Karate,Kajukenbo Tum Pai,
Kajukenbo Chuan Fa,Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do.Wun Hop Kuen Do
( Combination Fist Art ) Developed by Sifu
Al Dacascos,in 1969.One of the 4 branches of the Kajukenbo system.

Check out www.Dascoscos.com (http://www.Dascoscos.com) or Kajukenbo.
The tum pai section is basically the tai chi set.The Chuan Fa section is basically Hung Gar.
For an idea of kajukenbo, get the instructional video of Sifu Al Dacascos.
It's good because,I have it.

Take Care ,

Fe luk

Kempo
12-10-2001, 08:08 PM
Hi. If your interested in studying kempo karate your best bet it to go to a Kempo Martial Arts Dojo. This is a school that is devoted to teaching and preserving the art of kempo, rather then commercializing it. The head of our system, Master Rich Fescina, has been a student of both Professor Nick Cerio and Professor Walter Godin (a Pioneer of Kajukenbo). If you would like any more information just ask, i'll be glad to help.

You can also check out our webiste at
www.kempomartialarts.com
www.nickcerioskenpo.com

feluk
12-12-2001, 10:51 PM
Hi .
If you 're interested in studying kempo karate your best bet is to go to a kempo Martial arts Dojo.
This is a school that is devoted to teaching and preserving the art of kempo , rather than commercializing it .

The head of our system,
Master rich Fescia , has been a student of both Proffessor Nick Cerio and Walter
Godin ( a Pioneer of Kajukenbo ).
If you would like any more information just ask , I'll be glad to help .

Kempo,You probably may or may not know already that Proffessor Walter Godin had died already.

About 3 or 4 months ago,he died of conjestive heart failure.
I knew people who workout with proffessor Godin.

I know that Sijo Adriano Emperado the founder of the kajukenbo system also had a younger brother.
Is it true,that he died from stab wounds which he got from disagreements, in a bar fight back in 1958.
I also heard that proffessor Godin is suppose to author a book written about his late teacher Joe Emperado.
The news about Joe 's death was published in a martial arts magazine in Hawaii.
Proffessor godin was a nice man,I shook his hands many times.
His student Martian T. Buell,is also a wellknown teacher in Hawaii.
He teaches Chinese kenpo ,and does a tremendous job in teaching.
Mainly, because he had open a lot of schools in Honolulu.

Take Care

Kempo
12-13-2001, 11:22 AM
Hi. Yes i do know that Professor Godin passed away from heart complications. Actually a few weeks before Master Fescina had been visiting him in Hawaii.

Is it true, that he died from stab wounds which he got from disagreements, in a bar fight back in 1958.

Yes. Godin had told us this story at a seminar he did in March of 2000. He was there the night Joe got stabbed.

I also heard that professor Godin is suppose to author a book written about his late teacher Joe Emperado.

Godin was still writing his book when he passed away. As for how much of the book was completed I don't know.

feluk
12-14-2001, 12:32 AM
I think it is over rated.
2 different kajukenbo guys lost against
Shotokan guys , and I don 't think
shotokan is anything special.

Phantom,before it was shotokan karate,it
was also shorin karate.

I do know this because,I met and talked

to a shorin karate master.

And kajukenbo was suppose to be good,but
shotokan karate guys winning over