PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Films making a comeback

Jimbo
10-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Hammer Films, the British film company that was famous mainly for its many horror movies in the 1950s through the 1970s, has been resurrected again after more than 30 years. Among the notable actors who gained stardom in Hammer Films were Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. As I've mentioned in another thread, Hammer was to British horror films what Shaw Brothers was to HK kung fu movies.

Their first new production is the current remake of of Let the Right One In, which is titled Let Me In.

Other new films that the new Hammer Films has in the works are The Resident, starring Hilary Swank, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Sir Christopher Lee; The Woman in Black, starring Daniel Radcliffe; and also planned is a remake of The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. They are also planning to relaunch the studio's Professor Quartermass and Captain Kronos characters.*

*This is a summary of info I got out of Fangoria magazine.

It would be very interesting to see how the Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires remake would go. A couple of things might be *very* interesting; if they could somehow re-team with whatever's left of the Shaw Brothers for it; also, if somehow they could get Christopher Lee to appear in some capacity. Of course, him playing Dracula at 80-plus years old wouldn't really be practical, but maybe as Van Helsing?

darnoc
10-25-2010, 09:50 AM
hi jimbo
jut returned last week from the Bram Stoker Film Festival, where i set up a Hammer exhibition of memorabilia and where they showed 3/4 Hammer Films including the Wicker Man. Marcus Hearn, who writes the Hammer Glamour and The Hammer Story books, had seen the showing of 'Let Me In' and says it has all the hall marks of the great Hammer Films and he was ready to dismiss it if it wasn't up to much. Nick Ransome of Hammer was also there doing a question and answer session and mentioned they were hoping to have three more finished in the next year or so. Check out my sites www.art4walls.com and www.hammerfilmsart.com where you catch a glimpse of the fine art from the hammer archives. Agree with you regarding 'The Seven Golden Vampires' a remake would be interesting.

Jimbo
10-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks, darnoc! This is great news.