PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Martial Formulas for Health and Healing by Rodney Morgan & Wolfgang Kruger.

Eric Hunstad
10-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Book Review: "Ancient Martial Formulas for Health and Healing" by Rodney Morgan & Wolfgang Kruger.

This book is volume 1 of 2. Volume 1 is "Authentic Rare External Formulas" while the second volume will address internal formulas.

The book is broken down into sections on introduction, history, and preparation, and it has separate chapters on Injury Management Formulas, All-Purpose Formulas, Iron Palm Formulas, Hand Soaks, Speciality Formulas, and Public Domain Formulas. The formulas are listed in pinyin, English, and in many cases latin and/or Chinese characters. It appears that they kept the format of each formula exactly as it was when they received it. In all cases, the formulas are written in such a way that you could take it to an herbalist and they could fill it for you. The book also provides suppliers of the necessary herbs.

Overall, this book is a welcome addition to my kung fu library. It makes it possible for anyone to make your own formulas instead of relying on others and "hoping for the best". It also allows you to make several different formulas and compare them to see which suites your purposes best.

This is a gem of a book. It has a personal feel to it, unlike the books of say "Unique Publications", etc. It is obvious that it was written with the intention of being a true contribution to the field, as it certainly is. The only other book that has been published on this type of information (to my knowledge) is "Secret Shaolin Formulas for the Treatment of External Injury" by Blue Poppy Press, and to be honest, I like Rodney Morgans book much better. Why? It is certainly more user-friendly and what I like most is that it contains formulas that I have heard about through the grapevine but didn't have access to. Now I have them. Very cool.

Another thing I really enjoyed about the book is the personal notes regarding each formula. I found this particularry interesting and my only wish is that there was more of the authors personal commentary and supplemental info regarding each formula. For example, there is an iron palm formula called "Dr. Leung Jan Wing Chun Jow". I was unfamiliar with Leung Jan and had to look him up to see who he was. (I know, I know, why did I not know this name?). Anyway, now that I know who he is, it adds to the value of having his formula.

Bottom Line- this is an awesome book that I will actually USE. I think it will become a common reference manual in the future- in other words, you will be able to call up any herbal supplier and say "Give me Rodney Morgan Northern Praying Mantis Dit Da Jow" and they'll know exactly what you want and be able to make it (hint- Rodney: pitch this to major herbal suppliers and acupuncture schools- thay should all have this book).

The book is available at www.theironlotussociety.com

Disclosure: I have no ties whatsoever to anyone associated with this book. It is my honest opinion as an acupuncturist, herbalist, and martial artist.

Eric Hunstad
www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

teetsao
10-10-2010, 10:54 AM
thanx eric, glad you liked it and will be able to use it. this was our goal, to contribute soemthing to the tcma community and give back for what we have received over the years.
it should give the user freedom. freedom to get any of trhe mst popular formulas filled without having to jump through hoops.

David Jamieson
10-10-2010, 06:45 PM
how long should i soak the book in vodka? :p

TenTigers
10-10-2010, 07:40 PM
no, you should soak yourself in vodka, then read it.

David Jamieson
10-11-2010, 04:24 AM
hmmm , i'll have to reconsider my approach here it seems..

adb
04-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knows much about either volumes or had a review of the books. Looking for strong points and/or weak points.
Since the books are $50 and $ 25 respectively, I figured asking for a review would beat a $75 gamble....
Thank you!

mawali
04-02-2012, 10:00 AM
I read parts of it and it may be good depending on individual inclination.

Bob Flaws site has a similar view where he takes an 'ancient' prescription and show how it is adjusted to the needs of today's health factors so in a roundabout way Mr Flaws changed to match individual constitution and describes why he does what he does. Bansky's classic is still relevant but a comparison is great to see what was left out or added toa herbal prescription and why? Or try to figure out the rationale of Warm School vs Cold School!

It has been a long time so you can check with Googlefu!
be safe!

Dale Dugas
04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
I also can fill any formulas from Rod and Wolf's book

Let me know how I can be of service.

I will beat anyone's prices hands down

www.coilingdragon.com