PDA

View Full Version : Kote Uchi (sao chui) demonstration

Violent Designs
10-11-2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im9NzBciths

5:30 begin

You must be conditioning the forearm A LOT. Also all other parts of the body to make them into weapons, require a lot of proper conditioning.

One thing that I really love about Uechi Ryu.

hskwarrior
10-11-2010, 04:40 PM
This is applied similarly in my lineage as well. We would DEF grab your hand and control you that way while striking you with that sow choy.

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Ah Shinjo sensei, a freak if there ever was one.
Whiel sanchin training is crucial in Uechi-ryu, many don't realize that it is only the beginning, they also have more "dynamic" training regimes in which they are hit WHILE hitting, this keeps the body from getting used to "taking hits" in the highly specific "sanchin state" and gets it used to getting hit while in a "fight".

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 08:42 AM
question...

what is the style of karate that takes the hits, pretty much a garbage style IMO. In hits I mean they will literally kick each other in the junk or ribs or other points and shrug it off or say they shrug it off. Can't remember the name i think it was on human weapon or another program. American style for sure, it's on the tip of my tongue but can't remember. Someone help me out here. :)

hskwarrior
10-12-2010, 08:48 AM
kajukenbo?

goju
10-12-2010, 08:48 AM
it looked like he broke that bat with his wrist bone:eek:

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2010, 08:56 AM
question...

what is the style of karate that takes the hits, pretty much a garbage style IMO. In hits I mean they will literally kick each other in the junk or ribs or other points and shrug it off or say they shrug it off. Can't remember the name i think it was on human weapon or another program. American style for sure, it's on the tip of my tongue but can't remember. Someone help me out here. :)

The Combat KI guys that Genki Sudo did a demo with, right?
Juko Kai I think

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
thats the ones ronin. knew someone would know

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 09:25 AM
:)here they are after you gave me the name. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-5SVkgRTVs

hskwarrior
10-12-2010, 09:37 AM
what is the style of karate that takes the hits, pretty much a garbage style IMO. In hits I mean they will literally kick each other in the junk or ribs or other points and shrug it off or say they shrug it off. Can't remember the name i think it was on human weapon or another program. American style for sure, it's on the tip of my tongue but can't remember. Someone help me out here.

why is this style garbage in your opinion?

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
standing taking punishment and not learning evasion instead of head on collision is dumb.

hskwarrior
10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
standing taking punishment and not learning evasion instead of head on collision is dumb.

so you don't believe in conditioning your body to take strikes? how do you handle a kick to the gut? or to the thigh if you don't condition your body? because i too have my students training to take a blow, especially while striking.

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 10:10 AM
so you don't believe in conditioning your body to take strikes? how do you handle a kick to the gut? or to the thigh if you don't condition your body? because i too have my students training to take a blow, especially while striking.

If you fight you take punishment of some sort but to subject yourself, stupidly, to taking instead of teaching evasion tactics and blocking is IMO dumb... period. you can condition to a point and after that it's silly to push past.

some spots on the body you can't condition and they are the most dangerous.

Chin, temple, head period.
them subjecting themselves to neck strikes when learning to tuck the chin is more adaquate. why? why punish the body when evasion and simple techniques can replicate.

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2010, 10:12 AM
If you fight you take punishment of some sort but to subject yourself, stupidly, to taking instead of teaching evasion tactics and blocking is IMO dumb... period. you can condition to a point and after that it's silly to push past.

Chin, temple, head period.
them subjecting themselves to neck strikes when learning to tuck the chin is more adaquate. why? why punish the body when evasion and simple techniques can replicate.

Ah dude, anyone that has ever been "on the ropes" can answer your question, LOL !
Boxers do the same conditioning, they just make it part of sparring, that's all.

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Ah dude, anyone that has ever been "on the ropes" can answer your question, LOL !
Boxers do the same conditioning, they just make it part of sparring, that's all.

that was what i meant by my first response, if you fight you take punishment, but the name of the game is to take less. That's fine if you wanna do iron crotch whatever. It's your sack or whatnot.

my point is instead of teaching people to take the "train" head on, teach them to side step it. It's dumb to teach this, people get a false sense of what is real and then think they can take that kind of punishment for real.

hskwarrior
10-12-2010, 10:20 AM

wouldn't you feel better knowing that you can take a blow, evade a blow, or able to block one? if you got one helluva a kicker, he will chop you down if your legs can't take a full on kick.

some people get hit and crumble immediately. i would think that getting struck while training would reduce that fact a bit.

which is why you protect them.

what do you do when you are not in a ring and you don't have luxury of movement? what happens when you go to protect your head and he lands a kick on your legs? if they are not conditioned you may just crumble from the pain of being kicked.

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 10:29 AM
conditioning comes with training, I'm commenting on the static stance taking punishment. This mentality that they go into a mental state of meditation and can take it. that is my concern.

I have legs knotted up and calcium buildup on my shins from years of sparring, my wife says its gross that my shins are knotted. That is different conditioning, it's conditioning while resisting in an environment where i'm not accepting the punishment but trying to evade it and learning a hel1 of a lot more about fighting than standing there taking a kick to the junk.

what do you do when you are not in a ring and you don't have luxury of movement? what happens when you go to protect your head and he lands a kick on your legs? if they are not conditioned you may just crumble from the pain of being kicked.

haha i'm very comfortable in the clinch and grappling, and in those types of environments you have a lot more opportunities to put yourself out of harms way. So lack of space does not bother me.

hskwarrior
10-12-2010, 10:36 AM
conditioning comes with training, I'm commenting on the static stance taking punishment. This mentality that they go into a mental state of meditation and can take it. that is my concern.

its just a conditioning drill bro. nothing wrong with it. you know, some people like to get struck and actually FEED off of that pain to push forward. static training has its place at the beginning levels.

haha i'm very comfortable in the clinch and grappling, and in those types of environments you have a lot more opportunities to put yourself out of harms way. So lack of space does not bother me.

so you think its a waste of time for thai boxers to kick on tree's to condition their legs?

goju
10-12-2010, 10:42 AM
yeah i do that body conditioning common in goju and uechi buti still to prefer to evade an attack entirely..The conditioning is just a back up if i get caught.

hskwarrior
10-12-2010, 10:49 AM
yeah i do that body conditioning common in goju and uechi buti still to prefer to evade an attack entirely..The conditioning is just a back up if i get caught.

exactly. its not the answer, its a back up for those just in case situations. i too prefer to evade, and if i can't i'll attack the leg or punch or even catch the leg and throw him.

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 10:52 AM

guess this was what i'm trying to get at.

HSK have you actually listned to these guys philosophy? if not you should i think you would change you opinions.

I'm not against conditioning as you seem to think i am. I'm against needless conditioning, conditioning your "junk" to take a hit is dumb. conditioning the neck? really, it's soft tissue, any part of the head should be protected, the arms and legs provide this.

hskwarrior
10-12-2010, 10:58 AM
HSK have you actually listned to these guys philosophy? if not you should i think you would change you opinions.

no, i see training methods. i don't like to others philosophies. Choy Lee Fut has its own and i like to keep my CLF just that...CLF or HUNG SING KUEN as we call it in our branch.

i feel you bro. and i agree, standing there getting kicked in the nuts is not what i plan to do either. i will protect the family jewels before anything else haha.

David Jamieson
10-12-2010, 11:30 AM
@Dragonzbane

Matsubayashi ryu. It is associated with Shorin ryu (shaolin).

You aren't really interested in this training. LOL, most people aren't.

Goju ryu and Shorin Ryu in general have a lot of emphasis on conditioning.

Isshinryu as well because it is comprised of both goju and shorin.

If you are thinking of the american group that punches each other in the necks and kicks each other in the groin, that ain't it.

Learning to suffer well is key to success in martial arts. :p

Uechi, as demonstrated is realted again to Goju as well as southern shaolin of fujian.

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
If you are thinking of the american group that punches each other in the necks and kicks each other in the groin, that ain't it.

these are the ones i'm talking about. the american branch of whom ever.

I don't know the above stated you pointed out. Like I said I'm not against conditioning. I was listening to some of the philosophy behind their training and it's out there, past the fringe. meditative states to absorb pain through protective layers of psych. energy? come on. Just my opinion, if you wanna kick each others junk into oblivion go for it. just not my doctrine for sure.

bawang
10-12-2010, 06:35 PM
its a trick. u shift forward so u get kicked in the anus instead of the balls.

TenTigers
10-13-2010, 09:02 PM
you guys speaking of juko kai's ki training? From what I've heard, many of those guys suffered injuries as a result of that training.

Dragonzbane76
10-14-2010, 03:29 AM
you guys speaking of juko kai's ki training? From what I've heard, many of those guys suffered injuries as a result of that training.

that's the ones.

its a trick. u shift forward so u get kicked in the anus instead of the balls. so your shifting to take a kick in the taint? WTF.

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM

yep, they are epic when it comes to fail.

tough guy mentality is the only thing they used. no medicine, no gongs, nothing but just standing there and taking it.

silly is an understatement.

humans are surprisingly resilient and the fact of the matter is you can withstand quite a bit of abuse.

If you haven't ever been hit before, you would probably view that and say "ouch".
Truly though, it's not smart to do such things without medicine, massage and gongs for breath and blood flow.

the juko kai people are really putting themselves at risk with their inadequate training model.