PDA

View Full Version : Are there benefits in combining these types of training in combat training?

MysteriousPower
10-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Push hands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSnUDkCQ0WU

Sparring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAxfXCl_tfQ

Chen Village push hands is standing wrestling and not the crap in the first clip. Unfortunately, I am only going by the soft clip shown above. Will the push hands training in this video aid in helping one learn COMBAT?

Who would you all rather have helping you in a fight? Person from clip A or person from clip B.

I am really really really trying to keep an open mind here about the first clip. Please provide some good arguments about its relative combat applications. And be honest with yourselves about who you would rather have at your back in a real fight.

Would mma fighters benefit COMBAT wise from the above push hands training? How so?

Dragonzbane76
10-12-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm still scratching my head over the first video. More theatrics from the students than actual apps. garbage.

the second clip typical sparring about 40% speed/power.

I think its a no brainer on your question.

TenTigers
10-12-2010, 08:32 AM
yeah, I couldn't watch the whole first clip. That is definatley one of the biggest problems with these "internal" "Masters."
The second clip was good. Nice, even-paced cooperative sparring, which can lead to more intense sparring as the student progresses-or not. I've known people who have never gone beyond that level and they did just fine in self-defense encounters.
Mystery-when you post like this, people will take what you say seriously.
This was a good post. keep it up.

MasterKiller
10-12-2010, 09:26 AM
http://images.memegenerator.net/goddess-of-fatness/ImageMacro/3014915/goddess-of-fatness-commands-twinkee-filling-to-appear.jpg

MysteriousPower
10-12-2010, 09:41 AM
yeah, I couldn't watch the whole first clip. That is definatley one of the biggest problems with these "internal" "Masters."
The second clip was good. Nice, even-paced cooperative sparring, which can lead to more intense sparring as the student progresses-or not. I've known people who have never gone beyond that level and they did just fine in self-defense encounters.
Mystery-when you post like this, people will take what you say seriously.
This was a good post. keep it up.

Your mistake is thinking that I need or want your approval. Keep in the topic stated before I have to smack you with posts again.

yutyeesam
10-12-2010, 09:44 AM
6366 vs 232

yutyeesam
10-12-2010, 09:54 AM
http://images.memegenerator.net/goddess-of-fatness/ImageMacro/3014915/goddess-of-fatness-commands-twinkee-filling-to-appear.jpg

just ONCE i'd like to see someone out link-fu MK. just once. iron palm and dragonbzane had good pix today. but ****, MK.

to the topic on hand, i don't care much for push hands or sensitivity drills. sparring is the fastest way to build proficiency...start with parameters, then eventually start stripping away the parameters.

but who cares. people will do what they will do. there are all sorts of communities and support groups that reinforce untruths.

we don't need daylight savings time anymore, and columbus didn't discover america, yet we still celebrate/abide by these traditions.

MysteriousPower
10-12-2010, 10:21 AM
just ONCE i'd like to see someone out link-fu MK. just once. iron palm and dragonbzane had good pix today. but ****, MK.

to the topic on hand, i don't care much for push hands or sensitivity drills. sparring is the fastest way to build proficiency...start with parameters, then eventually start stripping away the parameters.

but who cares. people will do what they will do. there are all sorts of communities and support groups that reinforce untruths.

we don't need daylight savings time anymore, and columbus didn't discover america, yet we still celebrate/abide by these traditions.

Just wanted to point out one thing wrong in your post. America existed. No one discovered it. Its common nowadays to say Columbus did not do anything and the native americans actually discovered it. Columbus discovered America to Europe and at that time Europe was the center of the world. They were reading and writing and wrote about America after Columbus found it. Then the rest of the world found it. The native americans just lived on the land. I like these kinds of discussions.

EarthDragon
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
your comparison is un- comparable if that makes sense. My point is if you are trying to compare this skill, the style, the combat part, the understanding etc etc of these together you cant.

(tui sao) Push hands is just a way to feel and be in tune with ones/opponents (Yi) intent.
it is a way to help you understand movement so you can move to block, parry or evade an attack before its thrown based on intention or trajectory of movement.

sparring is designed to be in tune/learn, timing, distance, speed, angles, defense, etc etc
but to compare them together is not going to work. hope this helps

PS columbus was not the first NON native american that sailed to North america

David Jamieson
10-12-2010, 11:19 AM
why don't we need DST anymore?

sun rises early in the summer and late in the winter, if we don't fall back we start our day in deeper darkness during winter months, if we don't spring forward, the sun is high in the sky before waking.

We do need the DST, but Columbus day is indeed a wasted veneration. lol

Maybe you could change that to "family" day or something. People still get the holiday, but don't celebrate a blatant lie. :p

MasterKiller
10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
http://i.imgur.com/janMd.gif

MysteriousPower
10-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Masterkiller,

Is that the singer, Katie Perry?

Sanjuro Ronin,

Are you going to let Masterkiller's continued challenge to your hot girl pic posting supremacy stay...or are you going to fight back? :)

TenTigers
10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
They should celebrate Lief Eriksson Day instead....
(I realize that by continuing this hijacked discussion, I do indeed run the risk of being post smacked by Mysterious P...but I'm a risk taker.
I live on the edge, baby.):cool:

YouKnowWho
10-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Push hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSnUDkCQ0WU

In the whole clip, his feet was never left the ground. If we play PH like this, we will soon forget how to use our legs. What I don't understand is instead of just "push", why not use your leg to hook/sweep/scoop/ ... when you push. The day when Taiji guys can integrate their leg moves into their PH, their PH training will be one step closer to the real combat. Until then, I will call the "legless PH" has little combat value.

It's not that easy to contact your arm on your opponent's arm in true combat. When that happen, if all you are thinking is to push your opponent away, instead of pull his head into your punch, or throw him down below your knee, then the more that you have trained this format, the more bad habit that you will build.