PDA

View Full Version : Best Bachelorette Courtship EVER!

GeneChing
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
- 12th October, 2010
Kung fu sisters stage combat tournament to find men to date (http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/843781-kung-fu-sisters-stage-combat-tournament-to-find-men-to-date)
A pair of deadly kung fu sisters have given traditional dating the chop - to hold a challenge tournament where only the survivors will get the chance to date them.

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/12/article-1286896702142-0B945BBE000005DC-460733_636x488.jpg
Defeat me and then marry me Defeat me and then marry me: The two sisters set the challenge

Marital arts experts Xiao Lin, 22, and little sister Yin, 21, are to stage a three day fighting festival in Foushan, south east China, where only the toughest suitors stand a chance of getting through.

First contestants must show off their archery skills, then they must carry a heavy weight over sharpened bamboo spears, and finally they have to defeat one of the sisters in full contact combat.

Only then will contestants earn the right to remove the girls' masks and propose to them.

'They can chose open hand or any weapon they wish but we won't be holding back. If they can't beat us they aren't worthy," explained Lin.

'We tried dating agencies but the men we met were all to weak. We could beat them easily,' said Yin.

'So we went back to ancient ways called Bi Wu Zhao Qin - which was the way warrior princesses would find their men.'

But so far, only a trickle of brave contestants has come forward.

'I'm a very good martial artist - but I think I'd want to see them with the masks off before I decided whether I wanted to fight for them,' said one doubtful suitor.
coming strait outta Fong Sai Yuk (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58333), man...

David Jamieson
10-12-2010, 11:15 AM
even with the masks on... I don't think they'll get too many offers.. :p

solo1
10-12-2010, 11:37 AM
thats an understatement.

GeneChing
10-12-2010, 12:27 PM
I'll be scanning for follow-up news on this one. I'd love to see that tournament. It sounds so medieval. I'd watch that over the Bachelorette anyday.

sanjuro_ronin
10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I can tell the one on the left is the real deal by how she is holding her sword, LOL !!
Maybe she got her Jian confused with a rapier :D

jdhowland
10-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I can tell the one on the left is the real deal by how she is holding her sword, LOL !!
Maybe she got her Jian confused with a rapier :D

That grip is actually common in several styles of Chinese jianshu. Used for some kinds of slicing moves. Then you straighten the index finger against the blade for ci or straight thrust.

SPJ
10-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Jian is my specialty.

I will stand up to the challenge of any sword fight.

but not necessarily want a marriage right away.

there is always a dating phase first, right.

by the way. in certain part of china, there are more girls than boys.

so eligible bachelor beware.

the girls may pretend to lose sword fight to you since they want to bind you in a marriage.

:eek:

David Jamieson
10-13-2010, 05:41 AM
yeah, those two aren't exactly nacho ninjette material are they.

they probably would pretend to lose just to snag you! lol :p

solo1
10-13-2010, 10:22 AM
nacho ninjette! classic...

sanjuro_ronin
10-13-2010, 10:34 AM
That grip is actually common in several styles of Chinese jianshu. Used for some kinds of slicing moves. Then you straighten the index finger against the blade for ci or straight thrust.

Maybe someone needs to actually FIGHT with those things and see how silly that really is.

MightyB
10-13-2010, 10:37 AM
You lose the fight, you lost to a chick - you win that one... :eek:

TaichiMantis
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
This guy is way too smart...

'I'm a very good martial artist - but I think I'd want to see them with the masks off before I decided whether I wanted to fight for them,' said one doubtful suitor.

:eek:

SPJ
10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
the other way

would be all the suitors fight among themself, whoever wins gets the trophy wife.

she needs not to fight.

however she needs to let people know her cooking, and sawing skills first

those were the yester years of agricultural and no gun society.

---

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 01:49 PM
someone said they should wash, maybe that's why they need the masks.

I lol'd.

GeneChing
10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Historically, and by that I mean based upon back when we did 'actually FIGHT with those things', having your finger cross the guard was common, at least in the West. If you chart the development of the Western sword, you see the addition of a finger-ring with arming swords at the end of the medieval period. This evolves into the pas d'ane in swept- and cage-hilt guards of Renaissance swords, and remains within cup-hilt rapiers. One of my fencing friends (who now runs Victory Fencing Gear (http://victoryfencinggear.com/)) did his provost thesis on the evolution of the modern fencing sword and traced this progression to modern pistol and spur grips.

I've seen some old diagrams of antique Chinese swords that had finger-ring-like adornments on the front of the guard, but I've never seen an actual antique with such trappings. The Chinese sword guard didn't undergo that much evolution. A modern jian (http://www.martialartsmart.com/weapons-chinese-weapons-tai-chi-swords.html) guard echos an ancient one fairly closely.

Here's some more (nothing new but it's spreading across the web as it is so odd):

Xiao Lin & Xiao Yin Stage Kung-Fu Wedding Tournament (http://www.nowpublic.com/strange/xiao-lin-xiao-yin-stage-kung-fu-wedding-tournament-2698193.html)
by Jordan Yerman | October 13, 2010 at 09:34 am

Sister Kung-Fu Experts Hold Marriage Tournament: Only the Strong Survive

Xiao Lin and Xiao Yin are looking for husbands, but have forsaken the bar scene. Both experts in Kung Fu, the sisters are holding a full-contact martial arts tournament, in which male contestants must pass a series of physical challenges (we're talking bamboo spikes, not Nickelodeon-style slime) and then fight one of the sisters. You win, you may marry one of them. You lose... well, you lose.

Xiao Lin and Xiao Yin are only 22 and 21 respectively, so one can see how they'd be frustrated by not meeting guys that they like. However, "online dating or full-contact martial arts tournament" is what's known as a false dichotomy.

The article below did not mention whether or not the tournament would be staged on a private island.