PDA

View Full Version : I chuan/ Yi quan...

Nfrisco4now
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I've heard there are two versions (styles?). One is an abridged form having only chi kung, and the other is the full form having equal parts chi kung and martial art. Anyone know how to designate one from the other? Are the names different, or different lineage, etc? Thanks.

TaichiMantis
10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
cantonese/mandarin pronunciation...

woliveri
10-14-2010, 01:43 PM
I would say it's the type of romanization used rather than Cantonese/Mandarin.

Wade–Giles (I-Chuan)
vs
Pinyin (Yi Quan)

Anyway, same art, different romanization

bawang
10-15-2010, 08:49 AM
if u have ipod and iphones u gotta have the i chuan. its the latest craze

jdhowland
10-15-2010, 05:04 PM
if u have ipod and iphones u gotta have the i chuan. its the latest craze

I have an iQuan. You have to stand very still while using it or you don't get good reception.

andyhaas
10-25-2010, 02:21 PM
I've heard there are two versions (styles?). One is an abridged form having only chi kung, and the other is the full form having equal parts chi kung and martial art. Anyone know how to designate one from the other? Are the names different, or different lineage, etc? Thanks.

Somewhere, long ago, I saw a I Chuan presentation, and it didn't seem there was a whole lot to it.

Then, later, I was doing research and came across some book or video someplace that showed that it WAS a WHOLE STYLE. Along with some info that how some of the makers of modern karate studied I Chuan (I think Kyokushin or Oyama or somebody like that). Anyways they had a lot more than just a few things. I think it was some Japanese videos.

Oh, here it is. They call it in Japan: Taikiken.

jdhowland
10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
A version with only standing exercises doesn't make sense--it would no longer be yiquan without the fight training.

The confusion may come from the fact that Wang Xiangshai taught health cultivation techniques at hospitals, based on his own experiences. Beginners in yi quan usually start with the basic "health posture" to tone the body for later work. Perhaps this has lead to the assumption that yiquan has a branch that is only for health cultivation.