PDA

View Full Version : Isshin-Ryu?

Black Jack
01-14-2001, 11:49 PM
I was wondering if any of you who have experiance with the Isshin-Ryu system of karate can give me a description of its common methods and principles that a person may see a Isshin-Ryu fighter use?

I know the system is supposed to be very self defense focused and the result of blending both Goju-Ryu and Shorin-Ryu.

What types of ranges or movements does this system work with the most and what are some of it's signature tools.

I know that they use a vertical fist over the standard karate striking fist and was wondering what else is there?

Just curious and thank you in advance.

Regards

rogue
01-15-2001, 12:06 AM
I'm a newbie to it Black Jack and I'm just learning the 15 upper body excercises but here goes. Another feature is the way an Isshinryu fellow will block, he'll use the meaty part of the forarm and not the inner or outer boney parts. I find this method of blocking faster.

Any reason why you're asking?

Black Jack
01-15-2001, 12:15 AM
I met a 4th degree Isshin-Ryu blackbelt a few days ago who impressed me with some of his handwork and in doing so made my interest shoot up in the style thats all.

I find it interesting to understand those I meet and the styles they represent.

Do you mean that you find the narrow part faster for blocking or the meaty part? I am more of a open handed blocking kind of guy if I am going to use a block.

If you would not mind what type of upperbody excercises are you in reference to in general what do you think of what you have seen so far?

Thanks again bud. ;)

Regards

rogue
01-15-2001, 12:43 AM
The upper body excercises are the basics. The meaty part. Instead of thumb or pinky out in a side block the back of your hand would be outermost. It seems to have fewer moving parts than a traditional block. So far it complements my TKD.
Sidenote: There is a lot of politics in the system, it's like Wing Chun or Mantis in white PS's :)

Kung Lek
01-15-2001, 01:56 AM
Hi-
I have experience with Isshin Ryu.
It is a pretty interesting system of Karate in comparison with the more well known styles such as Shotokan.
There are some fairly decent close range fighting techniques and bears a lot of Chinese martial arts flavour.
There is a significant amount of handwork involved and there is a tendency for traps and blocks to lead strikes.
The footwork is planted when striking but that is not to say the person isn't mobile.

It is not linear in attack and there are side and back entry striking techniques.

Upward palm strikes and downward palm presses are found in the style with as much emphasis on them as the punching techniques.

It's been a long time since I practiced the style but I will say that it like other Okinawan styles of Karate is closer to Kung Fu in flavour although it does not have such huge variety of techniques as most Kung Fu systems do.

peace (it's a decent karate style if you're looking to learn it)

Kung Lek

Budokan
01-15-2001, 02:26 AM
I too studied isshin-ryu in my younger days. I enjoyed it and found it to be a decent and effective fighting style. That vertical fist (with the thumb on top) took some getting used to, but eventually I learned to trust it.

K. Mark Hoover

Kung Lek
01-15-2001, 02:39 AM
Hi-

Yes the vertical fist formation is like that of a Five Animals fist formation. CMA flavour again.

peace

Kung Lek

rubber legs
01-15-2001, 03:50 AM
I am a black belt in isshinryu. I started out with fifteen lower and upper basics. In our school we are tought to block with the nuckles
with a snapping motion to the inside of the attackers arm on vital pressure points. Over all
I find isshinryu an effective style.

rogue
01-15-2001, 03:36 PM
Is that version of the verticle fist what CMAs call the Sun Fist?

Hey welcome aboard Rubber Legs.

Kung Lek
01-15-2001, 06:20 PM
Hi -

Rogue, the Sun Fist that I am familiar with has the thumb below the curled fingers and in the palm.

the fist described above has the thumb pressed to the outside of the index finger and not over the fingers or below them.

peace

Kung Lek