PDA

View Full Version : I'm not quite sure what to make of this...

LSWCTN1
10-12-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV1xJZBY_mg

Watch

Discuss

Knifefighter
10-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Like the subtitle says, "Choreographed but entertaining."

Like the "amazing" Mook Jong demo in the other thread, looks speedy and impressive to the uninitiated, but has a negative correlation to actual fighting ability.

Dave McKinnon
10-12-2010, 10:14 PM
This is great fun. I love it except for all the hand play. Not a WCK trait in my opinion. But a lot of fun to watch. Kind of like a Jackie fight scene.

k gledhill
10-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Like the subtitle says, "Choreographed but entertaining."

Like the "amazing" Mook Jong demo in the other thread, looks speedy and impressive to the uninitiated, but has a negative correlation to actual fighting ability.

Dale you dont know what your talking about...;)

t_niehoff
10-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Dale you dont know what your talking about...;)

Says the theoretical nonfighter to the fighter.

Dragonzbane76
10-13-2010, 06:47 AM
says "Choreographed" so any attempts to justify actual fighting with this is null and void.

She has fast hands, but i've seen many a boxer with lighting in their fist as well.

m1k3
10-13-2010, 06:58 AM
I don't understand what there is to discuss. :confused: I agree with Dale that this has nothing to do with fighting any more than tap dancing does. It was just more compliant BS posing as fighting skill. I believe the correct term is snake oil.:D

t_niehoff
10-13-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't understand what there is to discuss. :confused: I agree with Dale that this has nothing to do with fighting any more than tap dancing does. It was just more compliant BS posing as fighting skill. I believe the correct term is snake oil.:D

Serious question: why do you think that YOU can look at that and see it is complete nonsense?

Knifefighter
10-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Serious question: why do you think that YOU can look at that and see it is complete nonsense?

Because he knows what it takes to do fully resistant training and what it has to look like to generate the power it takes to be effective.

Unlike the theoretical, non-fighting, fantasy, people like gledhill who wouldn't know the difference if it bit them in the @ss.

m1k3
10-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Because he knows what it takes to do fully resistant training and what it has to look like to generate the power it takes to be effective.

Unlike the theoretical, non-fighting, fantasy, people like gledhill who wouldn't know the difference if it bit them in the @ss.

Thank you Dale, that was a much better answer that I was thinking of.

What stuck in my mind was this "Choreographed". I don't see how this is any different than the "wire fu" seen in a lot of CMA movies. Unless, T., you consider that to be worthwhile skillz. :D

Now that I have noticed the YOU in t.s question I'm going to answer in a little more detail. As a kid and young adult I used to enjoy watching pro wrestling. As I got older I just became ambivalent about it. Since I started training BJJ I can't stand watching it. It isn't because it isn't real, I new that a long time ago, but because of how sh1tty the grappling was, it wasn't even close to being realistic. Cartoonish would be the best description.

I got the same feeling about that vid. The poor movement, bad balance the slightest touch behind her partner's head and he went flying. It wasn't that it was choreographed, it was because it was badly choreographed.

Frost
10-13-2010, 10:35 AM
you can always look fast when theres no power in the shot, your partner is being compliant and you are simplt demoing a set of moves

t_niehoff
10-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Thank you Dale, that was a much better answer that I was thinking of.

What stuck in my mind was this "Choreographed". I don't see how this is any different than the "wire fu" seen in a lot of CMA movies. Unless, T., you consider that to be worthwhile skillz. :D

No, I consider it complete nonsense. Yet, what I find interesting is that there will be people that don't seem to see it. And, also don't see how much of TMA "training" is really counter-productive and simply training to fail.

What I find disturbing is that many of these people refuse to see it. I don't know if it is the brainwashing that goes along with TMA "training"or what.

sanjuro_ronin
10-13-2010, 10:48 AM

Watch

Discuss

Her chin is up, enough said.

mjw
10-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Just a preplaned demo with non resitant opponent.....

Knifefighter
10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
No, I consider it complete nonsense. Yet, what I find interesting is that there will be people that don't seem to see it. And, also don't see how much of TMA "training" is really counter-productive and simply training to fail.

What I find disturbing is that many of these people refuse to see it. I don't know if it is the brainwashing that goes along with TMA "training"or what.

Same reason I used to think pro wrestling was real when I was a 10. Same reason I thought knowing karate made you invincible when I was 12.

Lack of actually doing things for real with skilled people.

k gledhill
10-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Says the theoretical nonfighter to the fighter.

says the fighter who trains in VT to a fighter who doesn't train in VT ;) or at least doesnt sound like it from his responses ;)

Knifefighter
10-13-2010, 05:20 PM
says the fighter who trains in VT to a fighter who doesn't train in VT ;) or at least doesnt sound like it from his responses ;)

Says the theoretical, fantasy, nonsense, non-fighter (at least going by everything he has ever posted about technique).

Liddel
10-13-2010, 05:59 PM
If you believe all arms, chin up and using five actions when one will do the job, is a good representation of fighting skill... your kidding yourself :o

But hey guys she is 15. Shes got more opportunity to improve and realise there are more realistic ways of training than most of the old grumpy crowd posting here.

Laughed out loud, at the head pull take downs, lunch time entertainment.

YungChun
10-13-2010, 07:49 PM
The problem is when the student in question becomes aware of their training deficiencies when they really need it.................

k gledhill
10-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Says the theoretical, fantasy, nonsense, non-fighter (at least going by everything he has ever posted about technique).

at least by everything he has posted :D so there is hope for me yet ? :D

jesper
10-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Well it would look cool in a film

m1k3
10-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Well it would look cool in a film

I think that was pretty much done in the Bourne Identity.

Frost
10-14-2010, 05:02 AM
The problem is when the student in question becomes aware of their training deficiencies when they really need it.................

oh snap thats so fecking true

Hardwork108
10-16-2010, 11:34 AM

Watch

Discuss

"Nice" choreography, shame about the lack of intention, roots, and principles.....

But I guess, it will be attractive enough to bring in some new students for that school, who will go on to learn how to do WC without intention, roots and principles....LOL!

taai gihk yahn
10-16-2010, 01:53 PM
ok, it's choreographed, but hopefully she doesn't think that what she is doing is going to have ANY bearing on her ability to actually defend herself if she gets attacked...:(

although addendum: I found the part where the guy actually leans his head forward so she could grab it to do the knee at ~1:33 painful and aesthetically offensive...

Hardwork108
10-16-2010, 08:08 PM
ok, it's choreographed, but hopefully she doesn't think that what she is doing is going to have ANY bearing on her ability to actually defend herself if she gets attacked...:(

Luckily, where I live, people like her would be unconscious long before realizing that they needed to defend themselves...LOL!

although addendum: I found the part where the guy actually leans his head forward so she could grab it to do the knee at ~1:33 painful and aesthetically offensive...

It just shows that there are still "gentlemen" in kung fu Mcdojos.....;)

grasshopper 2.0
10-17-2010, 10:35 PM
yea i remember seeing this clip. Choreographed yes, but i think many WC'ers lack the ability to even do this. usually stiff, tense, choppy, etc. although won't translate to fighting, i think it's a start and can only help that transition at some level.

m1k3
10-18-2010, 06:09 AM
yea i remember seeing this clip. Choreographed yes, but i think many WC'ers lack the ability to even do this. usually stiff, tense, choppy, etc. although won't translate to fighting, i think it's a start and can only help that transition at some level.

Just curious, what do you find useful about the clip?