PDA

View Full Version : CLF and Mantis

SanHeChuan
10-13-2010, 08:30 AM
would these two styles work well togther?

sean_stonehart
10-13-2010, 09:04 AM
They share stuff, don't share stuff...

It wouldn't hurt to study both, but only when you have a handle on one before starting the other.

hskwarrior
10-13-2010, 09:22 AM
i was just watching the video below with your question in mind. Maybe some techniques, but this type of mantis movement is totally different that CLF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLjZ2ml6cE&feature=related

Violent Designs
10-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Go with CLF.

EarthDragon
10-13-2010, 11:21 AM
first may i ask why are you asking the question? do you have experience in one and wish to train the other? are you thinking about combining them in your training?

most styles can work together but few compliment each other, adn these two would not compliemtn if thats your question.
PS go with mantis, its a much more complete fighting art, provided you have a good teacher, otherwise no art will work for you

mooyingmantis
10-13-2010, 01:53 PM
i was just watching the video below with your question in mind. Maybe some techniques, but this type of mantis movement is totally different that CLF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLjZ2ml6cE&feature=related

LOL!

Work together? No idea.

However, the man who oversees the school in the video is Mike Biggie who teaches Northern Praying Mantis and Choy Li Fut (Doc Fai Wong lineage). So I guess it works for him. :)

Violent Designs
10-13-2010, 01:58 PM
first may i ask why are you asking the question? do you have experience in one and wish to train the other? are you thinking about combining them in your training?

most styles can work together but few compliment each other, adn these two would not compliemtn if thats your question.
PS go with mantis, its a much more complete fighting art, provided you have a good teacher, otherwise no art will work for you

Depends on how we are defining "complete."

Michael Dasargo
10-13-2010, 02:10 PM
A friend of mine trained TLQ with Xiao Peng in Taiwan, then CLF with Primicius in San Diego. The principles laced well together.

It's essentially what Cha Chui would have been if you added more angular movements.

M.

Violent Designs
10-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Cha chui also happens to be the most staple CLF technique. :cool:

EarthDragon
10-13-2010, 02:36 PM
violent,
I meant complete as 8 step has a lot to offer, more so then a lot of styles out there, we incorporate herboloy, tui na, bone setting, anatomy, tai ji, IP, qigong. Not just the exernal stuff. Though you can find alot of old school techers who will teach all side of thier art, but its getting harder and harder to find.

Violent Designs
10-13-2010, 02:37 PM
violent,
I meant complete as 8 step has a lot to offer, more so then a lot of styles out there, we incorporate herboloy, tui na, bone setting, anatomy, tai ji, IP, qigong. Not just the exernal stuff. Though you can find alot of old school techers who will teach all side of thier art, but its getting harder and harder to find.

In that case I agree with you.

Although Chan Family CLF (which I do not study or endorse) probably is the most "complete" and comparable to 8-step.

But that is not for me to speak about, I only know Hung Sing & Buk Sing.