PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if I should have...

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
but i took the resident pills off ignore, so yes, I can see your stuff and you can be all that you can be army trong and all that.

I'll actually give it an eye if it's worthwhile!

big deal right?

just sayin...

Hebrew Hammer
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Very noble of you Dave...it must have weighed heavily on your soul.

EarthDragon
10-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I was thinking about taking knifiefighter of mine cuz I would really like to read his posts and reply to them...... that is if he stopped making personal attacks on someone whom he never met but who knows maybe he has calmed down a bit, time will tell

MasterKiller
10-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Isn't this sort of like posting that you'll never post here again?

Regardless of what this ridiculous facebook culture says, you don't have to advertise everything on the internet.

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Regardless of what this ridiculous facebook culture says, you don't have to advertise everything on the internet.

shut up SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!!

that's it, I'm putting you on ignore!!!! :mad:

Iron_Eagle_76
10-14-2010, 12:22 PM

I am currently thinking about posting about this post, but not sure if I should or not. How about my peeps help me out, should I post on this post?:D

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 12:23 PM
But in all seriousness... lol

I felt like I had to tell them. seriously, they were whining about it so a public announcement was easier than sending each of them a PM.

MasterKiller
10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
I am currently thinking about posting about this post, but not sure if I should or not. How about my peeps help me out, should I post on this post?:D

Make sure to tell us if you have to poop, while you're at it. We're on pins and needles.

EarthDragon
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
as you said FB is the number one website in the world because people really like to know when other people eat, s h i t and sleep.

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 12:37 PM
as you said FB is the number one website in the world because people really like to know when other people eat, s h i t and sleep.

i've got an idea for a new status! :p

SPJ
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
face book, you can have our own group.

I usually just post video music and karaoke clips.

so people may sing along.

events announcement usually ignored.

can not attend most of the time.

I received many seminar notices but, they are in taiwan mostly.

comments on video clip you like dislike, it is like waste of time.

I have collected many links, I may go back to profile and search them again.

that is kind of cool.

----

GeneChing
10-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Good one MK. That goes out to all my so-called facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kung-Fu-Tai-Chi-Magazine/135964689362) friends too.

MysteriousPower
10-14-2010, 02:24 PM
but i took the resident pills off ignore, so yes, I can see your stuff and you can be all that you can be army trong and all that.

I'll actually give it an eye if it's worthwhile!

big deal right?

just sayin...

I am much nicer to you than others. I do not call you Davey Boy. I just have one question for you? How many more years, on top of the initial 16 years, do you have to do nei gong before you are immortal?

Lucas
10-14-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm immortal, but only because I brutally chopped the head off this guy in reno with a blunted double crescent battle axe by the rising light of a new dawn.

im a special case though.

there can be more than one!!!

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
I am much nicer to you than others. I do not call you Davey Boy. I just have one question for you? How many more years, on top of the initial 16 years, do you have to do nei gong before you are immortal?

I'm immortal now. So are you. Physics dictates "matter changes, but enegy is never lost". It's out there, but people don't see it in context to themselves because let's face it, that's a brutal noodle twister. We are all in fact immortal if by that simple law alone. :) Buddhism describes it as transmigration, the judao-christian desription is your eternal soul. But more concretely, Physics and the laws of nature demonstrate it for us.

Dale can call me davey boy. He only does it cause I call him lawn jockey or garden gnome. :p

Lucas
10-14-2010, 02:47 PM
ya, my immortality is so much cooler than yours. and i fight demons from hell too!

Violent Designs
10-14-2010, 02:48 PM
putting people on your ignore list is for pussies and f@ggots.

take it like a fukcing man.

EarthDragon
10-14-2010, 02:51 PM

LOL keep going violent perhaps one day you'll earn those M's

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 02:52 PM

lol. said the ***got *****.

who takes it like a man nightly, eyebrows to the pillow and tuck em! :p

Lucas
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I take silence as agreement, i am the best.

thank you for the silent validation.

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I take silence as agreement, i am the best.

thank you for the silent validation.

put that shroom down man

hskwarrior
10-14-2010, 03:43 PM
who takes it like a man nightly, eyebrows to the pillow and tuck em!

David J, are you saying that it is YOU who are facedown eyebrows to the pillow? I had no idea.....:p

Syn7
10-14-2010, 03:43 PM
im drinking orange juice and wondering what im going to have for dinner tonight... just thought you guys would want to know... i'll update and post a new message when i finally decide on dinner... dont worry, i'll keep you all posted...

Syn7
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM

what are "M's"....??? :confused:

Violent Designs
10-14-2010, 04:01 PM

it's true, the only way to redeem ur manhood is to become a trained assassin and kill everyone on your ignore list.

that way they dead.

A REAL MAN'S "IGNORE LIST."

is a list of those he killed with his BEAR HANDS.

KC Elbows
10-14-2010, 04:07 PM

This is related to the sources of taoism. Mystical taoist, which is an outgrowth of previous indigenous Chinese folk religion, leans towards ideas of immortality and immortals, among other things.

Philosophical taoists, who tend to consider zhuangzi and not just laozi, remember that zhuangzi mocks the idea repeatedly, as did many other taoist philosophers. Preserving one's life by healthfulness=good. Pretending that you're not human and thus, not mortal=against the tao of being a human.

If you own a copy of the tao te ching that has no commentary, odds are good that you have no idea of the thoughts of traditional Chinese intellectuals, and no idea of the meaning of what you're reading.

Tao te ching=related to ruling.

Zhuangzi=related to the individual.

That said, I still have you on selective ignore. It's a special feature that Gene only allows his most mature members.

KC Elbows
10-14-2010, 04:08 PM
it's true, the only way to redeem ur manhood is to become a trained assassin and kill everyone on your ignore list.

that way they dead.

A REAL MAN'S "IGNORE LIST."

is a list of those he killed with his BEAR HANDS.

Bear hands? Is that a doughnut?

EarthDragon
10-14-2010, 04:24 PM
sny7
what are "M's"....???
its from the M&M's commerical

Syn7
10-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Bear hands? Is that a doughnut?

no its a type of northern iron palm... although there are doughnuts in the training diet... no sprinkles tho, i mean come on, it is training after all...

Syn7
10-14-2010, 04:27 PM
sny7
what are "M's"....???
its from the M&M's commerical

yeah ok... i dont even have cable... so that means nothing to me... i dont do commercials, sorry... tv is for fat and lazy people... like the net...

MysteriousPower
10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
This is related to the sources of taoism. Mystical taoist, which is an outgrowth of previous indigenous Chinese folk religion, leans towards ideas of immortality and immortals, among other things.

Philosophical taoists, who tend to consider zhuangzi and not just laozi, remember that zhuangzi mocks the idea repeatedly, as did many other taoist philosophers. Preserving one's life by healthfulness=good. Pretending that you're not human and thus, not mortal=against the tao of being a human.

If you own a copy of the tao te ching that has no commentary, odds are good that you have no idea of the thoughts of traditional Chinese intellectuals, and no idea of the meaning of what you're reading.

Tao te ching=related to ruling.

Zhuangzi=related to the individual.

That said, I still have you on selective ignore. It's a special feature that Gene only allows his most mature members.

You have me on ignore because you are slightly more wussier than David J. Atleast his wife finally let him have some Canadian bacon, he felt the blood swell to his unused loins, and then he took everyone off ignore.

As to your other comments...

If you cannot SPEAK, READ, and WRITE Chinese than you have no idea what the ancients were writing about.

taai gihk yahn
10-14-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking of keeping everyone off ignore; just saying; I'm sure that when I have a moment I'll write a long, pedantic exegesis assessing the relative permutations and associated randomized, double-blind research studies; just 'cause;

EarthDragon
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
sny7

eah ok... i dont even have cable... so that means nothing to me... i dont do commercials, sorry... tv is for fat and lazy people... like the net...

come on brotehr we are all addicted to KFM 15 posts a day? your hooked

stats for sny7
Total Posts: 860
Posts Per Day: 14.59
Find all posts by Syn7
Find all threads started by Syn7

taai gihk yahn
10-14-2010, 04:48 PM

If you cannot SPEAK, READ, and WRITE Chinese than you have no idea what the ancients were writing about.
well, um, there ARE people who are trained scholars on the subject who have read what "the ancients" wrote, and translated it with annotations to boot; for example, the Chuang Tzu / Zhuang Zi has been extensively researched and translated by many folks, such as Thomas Cleary, Thomas Merton, A C Graham, Burton Watson and Arthur Waley, to name a few; reading different translations, one can arrive at a reasonable estimation of what the texts were talking about; having studied such texts at the collegiate level is another way to gain access somewhat reliably; also, having a Taoist Sifu who IS Chinese and who majored in classical Chinese literature at Princeton, provides one with yet another resource by which one can approach such texts...

as far as Chuang Tzu, "he" (or more likely, "they") does mention some aspects of "inner practice", for example, "the superior man breathes straight down to his heels"(of course, if one has no notion of what sort of practice might engender such an experience, one will have no idea what this means; but it's actually a physiologicaly plausible proposal...); but mostly, as KC points out, he encourages people to move beyond the notion of being attached to "artificially" preserving life - to wit: "forget the years, forget distinctions; leap into the Boundless and make it your home" (in regards to that statement, I believe there is ample evidence that Kafka was profoundly influenced by this sentiment when he wrote "The Judgement"; but anyway); this may or may not have been in reaction to the mystical Taoists who ingested lead and mercury in hopes of gaining immortality; in this regard, it's not dissimilar to Buddhist thought, which often poked fun at Taoists seeking immortality by admonishing them to loose their attachment to their "walking corpse"

ok; what were we talking about again?

KC Elbows
10-14-2010, 05:01 PM
You have me on ignore because you are slightly more wussier than David J. Atleast his wife finally let him have some Canadian bacon, he felt the blood swell to his unused loins, and then he took everyone off ignore.

I can more than passably read classical chinese from an intensive program superior to New York's Columbia program, and have a degree in mandarin, but thanks for the lecture.

Syn7
10-14-2010, 05:07 PM
sny7

come on brotehr we are all addicted to KFM 15 posts a day? your hooked

stats for sny7
Total Posts: 860
Posts Per Day: 14.59
Find all posts by Syn7
Find all threads started by Syn7

case and point... last month i was very lazy... in the last two weeks ive left only like 10 or 15 posts... in august and early sept. i left that many per day... but it was my time off and i had no intention on being productive in any way shape or form...

so whats your point???

everyone here is fat and/or lazy if their amount of posts are anything like mine...

EarthDragon
10-14-2010, 05:11 PM
LOl relax syn deep breath... no point trying to be made, lighten up brother smile:D

KC Elbows
10-14-2010, 05:16 PM
well, um, there ARE people who are trained scholars on the subject who have read what "the ancients" wrote, and translated it with annotations to boot; for example, the Chuang Tzu / Zhuang Zi has been extensively researched and translated by many folks, such as Thomas Cleary, Thomas Merton, A C Graham, Burton Watson and Arthur Waley, to name a few; reading different translations, one can arrive at a reasonable estimation of what the texts were talking about; having studied such texts at the collegiate level is another way to gain access somewhat reliably; also, having a Taoist Sifu who IS Chinese and who majored in classical Chinese literature at Princeton, provides one with yet another resource by which one can approach such texts...

as far as Chuang Tzu, "he" (or more likely, "they") does mention some aspects of "inner practice", for example, "the superior man breathes straight down to his heels"(of course, if one has no notion of what sort of practice might engender such an experience, one will have no idea what this means; but it's actually a physiologicaly plausible proposal...); but mostly, as KC points out, he encourages people to move beyond the notion of being attached to "artificially" preserving life - to wit: "forget the years, forget distinctions; leap into the Boundless and make it your home" (in regards to that statement, I believe there is ample evidence that Kafka was profoundly influenced by this sentiment when he wrote "The Judgement"; but anyway); this may or may not have been in reaction to the mystical Taoists who ingested lead and mercury in hopes of gaining immortality; in this regard, it's not dissimilar to Buddhist thought, which often poked fun at Taoists seeking immortality by admonishing them to loose their attachment to their "walking corpse"

Graham's Disputers of the Tao is an EXCELLENT source for the debates between the major schools of thought as they were forming and how those debates shaped Confucianism, taoism, et al.

As for the zhuangzi, the inner chapters are considered to have had most likely had one main author, and since the rest is built upon that or referencing debates with the other schools, they are probably a good authority on what master zhuang thought, whether or not he wrote them.

David Jamieson
10-14-2010, 05:26 PM

dude, you realize this is the 21st century right?

I can fll you in about a lot of the things the ancients were talking about. Is there anything specific you ahve in mind? If you don't want to hear it or read it here, I'm sure many of us can point your to reliable and accurate translations of numerous texts ancient and martial.

My wife loves me. I love her. We're in love. It's really nice. :)

taai gihk yahn
10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
I can more than passably read classical chinese from an intensive program superior to New York's Columbia program, and have a degree in mandarin, but thanks for the lecture.
what program? CU has an excellent Asian studies dept. (I've actually done some research in the dept's library!), so to b better than that is not insignificant...

Graham's Disputers of the Tao is an EXCELLENT source for the debates between the major schools of thought as they were forming and how those debates shaped Confucianism, taoism, et al.
although I have not read that particular text, I like how Graham writes: he is a sight more "intellecshul" than some of the other translators (Watson jumps to mind), it makes for a much clearer take on the text, while not being as dry as Cleary can (unfortunately) be at times;

As for the zhuangzi, the inner chapters are considered to have had most likely had one main author, and since the rest is built upon that or referencing debates with the other schools, they are probably a good authority on what master zhuang thought, whether or not he wrote them.
yeh, inner chapts r the crux of the matter, specifically "Discussion on making all things equal" (Watson trans. title) pretty much sums it up nice and neat; covers everything from meditative practice (the Prince leaning on his armrest bit "forgetting" himself) to poking fun at Legalists (white horse≠horse and all), to the way in which reality / suchness (transcendental signified, as per Jacque and co.) when perceived moves from one to three (the thing itself, the observer and the observers act of observation) - pretty much what you gotta know 'bout stuff and all...

KC Elbows
10-15-2010, 10:23 AM
what program? CU has an excellent Asian studies dept. (I've actually done some research in the dept's library!), so to b better than that is not insignificant...

I literally just completed the last of my work for my bachelors at KU. Their program is small and intensive. I actually did two years of Chinese at a local community college, and thought I'd do two years at KU to complete the degree. My second year didn't even transfer, and so, my first week in the second year program at KU, the teacher asked if anyone there had done their initial work at that community college, two of us had, so she asked us to come to her after class, at which point she said "I'll be surprised if you last half a semester."

In the first month, because my earlier coursework only worked with the simplified script, and KU requires being able to read both and write the complex script, I had to learn everything I knew and everything I was learning in the traditional script as well.

The program was designed to drive out most casual students, really. By third year, there are usually from 8-12 hardcore students. The class I was part of was considered a good batch in a diverse and crazy way. My main contribution was coming back from China with a plethora of drinking games, most popular of which was la mei/hua quan/hua chuan(people called it different names depending on what area they were from)- I also took Mongolian, and discovered that they play the same game in Mongolia, but with Mongolian songs used to represent the numbers.

I was also pretty strong, in the end, in the philosophy of Mencius.

I'm biased, but one classmate, who was one of the last to go to China, went in a program of CU's, and he was pleased to discover that his Chinese was the best in the group compared to Columbia students, and he was a very modest guy(honestly, the program was so rough, no one felt like they were good, mostly from lack of sleep and fear of the native speakers). I ended up doing five years in KU's program.

However, my time in China was in Henan, a place called Zhumadian, so my accent is considered poorly by Beijing standards, just can't say "arrrrrrr" well enough at the end of every sentence. There's an expression in China about zhumadian, something like "The biggest cheats come from Henan, and Zhumadian is their capital."

although I have not read that particular text, I like how Graham writes: he is a sight more "intellecshul" than some of the other translators (Watson jumps to mind), it makes for a much clearer take on the text, while not being as dry as Cleary can (unfortunately) be at times;

Disputers is awesome. It's not specifically about taoism alone, but about the debates about the way between the major schools and how they influenced each other.

yeh, inner chapts r the crux of the matter, specifically "Discussion on making all things equal" (Watson trans. title) pretty much sums it up nice and neat; covers everything from meditative practice (the Prince leaning on his armrest bit "forgetting" himself) to poking fun at Legalists (white horse≠horse and all), to the way in which reality / suchness (transcendental signified, as per Jacque and co.) when perceived moves from one to three (the thing itself, the observer and the observers act of observation) - pretty much what you gotta know 'bout stuff and all...

Most of my work with classical Chinese was Mengzi, Kongfuzi, Xunzi, and Hen Fei zi, so I'm really looking forward to delving into my copy of zhuangzi and finding some Sun Bu-er.