PDA

View Full Version : 三招了(San Zhao Liao) - 3 moves combo

YouKnowWho
10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Back in the 70th, I subscribed a CMA magazine from Hong Kong. It was called 新武侠(Xin Wu Xia). There was a section in that magazine called "三招了(San Zhao Liao) - 3 moves combo". Every month, different CMA styles would show their 3 moves combo set up. It interested me a great deal because I could see different style used different set up. Some pre-defined combo such as:

- right jab, left hook,
- nuts kick, face punch,
- shoulder lock, reverse elbow lock,
- leg catch, foot sweep,

worked in the past 1000 years. It will continue to work for the next 1000 years. It will be fun that if we can have a section like this in this forum. We can start from 2 moves combo, so different styles can share their different set up ideas. Let's have a discussion on the PRO and CON on this approach. All opinions are welcome.

Let me to start the 1st combo here. You use "hip throw (O Goshi)" to set up your "inner hook (Ouchi Gari)". When you apply "hip throw", if your opponent resists, you can borrow his resistence and use your "inner hook" to throw him backward.

http://johnswang.com/sc5.wmv

EarthDragon
10-14-2010, 02:29 PM
thats nice counter, its taken from SC adn we use it often usually on opponets who are much larger and are harder to throw.

one of my favotires is a simple parry, backfist, uppercut, hammerfist works incrediablly well adn is extremly quick, notice I parry low then go high , then low again... this totaly confuises the opponent and can be executed very quick and easy

SPJ
10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
3 to 5 move combo drills are common in both mantis and tong bei.

in tong bei, it is like left and right same move and end with fatal strike at mid, high or low.

so the first 2 moves are expecting defense or counters.

the last move you move in and strike hard, that is if there is an opening to do so.

come to mind, there are 24 combo hand drill sets from tong bei

the front, middle and rear hand sets, each set is comprised of 8 combo's, thus total 24 hand sets. 前八手 中八手 后八手 these sets were used and proven in fights. each has apps, tactics and strategy in poems or songs.

there can be more. such as kick combo, elbow combo, knee/kick combo on and on.

--

bawang
10-15-2010, 08:20 AM
longfist has some basic combos. 实捶虚捶 solid and fake punches 短红锤 telegraph and real hook punches,神拳下插 overhand singleleg 冲天锤朝阳手 uppercut hip throw

David Jamieson
10-15-2010, 08:23 AM
1. left jab/right cross/left hook

2. left jab/right cross/ cutting kick above the knee

3. left jab/shovel kick/ right cross

These are really direct and high percentage combos extrapolated right out of kung fu sets.

Michael Dasargo
10-16-2010, 02:24 AM
Ohhhhhhhh....NOW I know who =P

copied and pasted:
My teacher calls it "the rule of 3's", which is inclusive of defensive/counter movements. The least acceptable result is to connect with the 3rd action. Any greater number of actions to hit, throw, or break is either greatly flawed, or greatly outclassed.

Best case scenario is to succeed in every single action.

That being said, each attack, minus one or two "feelers" if you're sparring or in sport, is executed with a minimum of 3 actions/combo., with at LEAST the 3rd connecting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz-qSqK4OK4

Violent Designs
10-16-2010, 03:53 AM
So a combination from Buk Sing CLF, right side forward:

1. 前標吊馬 - 右插捶 (dash + right charp chui)
2. 上左步 - 左插捶 (left foot switch step, left charp chui)
3. 上右步 - 右插捶 (right foot switch step, right charp chui)

This one is good for closing the distance especially if your opponent has limited space to run. Very, very basic stuff, three straight punches, you can go between body and head anyway you want. The first dash is to close the gap ASAP. It's less telegraphic to hit him with you lead hand and a dashing step-in, than throwing your rear power punch from the get go.

If he's backed up against a wall, you might not want to use two switch hits, maybe you only need one, then just dig your feet and pound on him. But yeah, after you hit him with your lead punch (or miss, doesn't matter), then switch hit with the power hand, and really try to hurt him.

But sometimes you don't wanna do the switch advance, I mean you don't want to miss your target and hit a wall or something. Just use common sense, that's all.

YouKnowWho
10-16-2010, 04:01 AM
My teacher calls it "the rule of 3's",
Combo is the highest level of CMA training. Combos can help us to understand combat in much detail level and not just

- I punch you, you move back, and
- you kick me, I move back.

Violent Designs
10-16-2010, 04:06 AM
You mean combination striking for example?

Jab, cross, hook, low kick? Just one idea.

Sometimes combinations are hard to pull off.

Different fighters also have different styles.

Some look for more methodical, prodding type of striking. Trying to land heavy shots, 1-2 at a time, using good distance control and timing.

Some like to be more combination, use speed, explosiveness, and being deceitful/overwhelming.

But the best fighters will always try to use the best approach depending on the situation and of course the opponent.

YouKnowWho
10-16-2010, 04:14 AM
You mean combination striking for example?
All combos are "principles" such as:

- Get one first, then get the other afterward.

The "leg catch" is a good example that "get one leg first, then get the other leg afterward".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2-yD8dBF5E&feature=related

lkfmdc
10-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Since the late 80's there was a study that under pressure conditions (read "competition" or "combat" or "da str33t") people are only roughly 80% effective. IE at your "best" you can only defend 80%

If I throw one punch, or attempt one throw, you have a good chance of defending it

If I throw five punches, one will land, it's math people ;)

TenTigers
10-16-2010, 07:12 AM
lead leg kick to groin/knee/ankle, lead gwa choy to the head(while crashing through the guard) ,rear hand ping choy or pow choy to kidney/floating ribs, lead hand grab, rear hand sow choy to base of skull, rear hand grab (anything-hair, collar,jacket) and leg sweep, stomp(anything-head,ribs,pelvis,knee, ankle, cellphone...)

Knifefighter
10-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Back in the 70th, I subscribed a CMA magazine from Hong Kong. It was called 新武侠(Xin Wu Xia). There was a section in that magazine called "三招了(San Zhao Liao) - 3 moves combo". Every month, different CMA styles would show their 3 moves combo set up. It interested me a great deal because I could see different style used different set up. Some pre-defined combo such as:

- right jab, left hook,
- nuts kick, face punch,
- shoulder lock, reverse elbow lock,
- leg catch, foot sweep,

worked in the past 1000 years. It will continue to work for the next 1000 years. It will be fun that if we can have a section like this in this forum. We can start from 2 moves combo, so different styles can share their different set up ideas. Let's have a discussion on the PRO and CON on this approach. All opinions are welcome.

Let me to start the 1st combo here. You use "hip throw (O Goshi)" to set up your "inner hook (Ouchi Gari)". When you apply "hip throw", if your opponent resists, you can borrow his resistence and use your "inner hook" to throw him backward.

http://johnswang.com/sc5.wmv

Works great when you do it like that. Even better when you practice it against resisting opponents. Doesn't work so well when you do it in a solo form.

mickey
10-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Greetings,

Deflect right attacking arm outward while

1- attack eyes or throat while kicking groin

2- jump stamp in left slamming elbow strike to temple or jaw while right hand gently cradles head.

3- Left reverse head lock to hold or hyperextend with assisting left knee strike to spine.

Time to execute: 1 to 1.25 seconds

mickey

Knifefighter
10-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Greetings,

Deflect right attacking arm outward while

1- attact eyes or throat while kicking groin

2- jump stamp in left slamming elbow strike to temple or jaw while right hand gently cradles head.

3- Left reverse head lock to hold or hyperextend with assisting left knee strike to spine.

Time to execute: 1 to 1.25 seconds

mickey

See what I mean about the fantasy fu?

mickey
10-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Oh my GAWD!!!!

I've been accused of fantasy fu!!!

I would ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU if nothing was done at the outset to impair the opponent in order to make the folowing techniques work.

I would not consider what I posted as carved in stone either. What if the initial attempt at impairment fails? What then? The real question is not just "Are you ready for 'what then?' "; but simply, "ARE YOU READY?"

Such trainings should be considered lessons in body mechanics, techniques, and possibly theory. The real deal (ability) comes from FIGHTING. You cannot get around it.

Knifefighter, don't you know this stuff already?

mickey

Knifefighter
10-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Oh my GAWD!!!!

I've been accused of fantasy fu!!!

I would ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU if nothing was done at the outset to impair the opponent in order to make the folowing techniques work.

I would not consider what I posted as carved in stone either. What if the initial attempt at impairment fails? What then? The real question is not just "Are you ready for 'what then?' "; but simply, "ARE YOU READY?"

Such trainings should be considered lessons in body mechanics, techniques, and possibly theory. The real deal (ability) comes from FIGHTING. You cannot get around it.

Knifefighter, don't you know this stuff already?

mickey

I rest my case.

goju
10-16-2010, 10:52 AM
I rest my case.

Your case for what. You being a lonely midget who has insecurity issues? Me and Kc already proved that in court months ago to much applause.

Really man get a glass of prune juice and wheel you hover round over to a gal friday next door at the old folks home and make a night of it. Wasting your days on here isnt good for you:p

TenTigers
10-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Dudes, does every thread have to become rife with personal attacks?
Ever read Bullshido? You find a thread and then you have to wade through page after page of personal attacks and bullshido to find a decent post.
Please, don't let this forum turn into that.

goju
10-16-2010, 11:27 AM
yes when i came back here it apparently turned into a flame board

so join in ten tigers you ******* **** jerk:D

mickey
10-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Knifefighter,

I had the opportunity to view the fight clip you posted of yourself. I think is a great thing to want to take your ability to the next level. From what I saw, and I write this not to diss, you could actually benefit from 3 moves combo training. Sometimes it is necessary to take a step back in order to take a few steps forward. What did I find missing in your clip? The ability to finish off your opponent. Just being in the ring with someone sticking, jabbing and clinching will not save you in a street encounter. And the element of surprise is such a great equalizer.

mickey

YouKnowWho
10-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Even when you fight 24/7, you still need to know strategy, set up, ... The worst fight will be:

1. I punch you, you move back.
2. You kick me, I move back.
3. repeat 1 or 2, ...

Another "principle" for combo is to "attack one side and then attack the other side". When you attack one side, your other side will be exposed. When your opponent attacks that exposed side, you can take advantage on it. Here is a short clip for that:

http://johnswang.com/left_right.wmv

TenTigers
10-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Another "principle" for combo is to "attack one side and then attack the other side". When you attack one side, your other side will be exposed. When your opponent attacks that exposed side, you can take advantage on it. Here is a short clip for that:

http://johnswang.com/left_right.wmv
I always use the example of "Ring and Run," also known as "Ding-Dong Ditch."
When I ask my students how they play it, they say they ring the doorbell and run.
"Ha! Amateurs!" I say. "The way a pro does it, is you go to the front door and ring the bell, then run around to the back and ring the back doorbell, then back to the front-unless they have a side doorbell.. This keep them running all over the house!"
This is the same philosophy I teach with fighting-High, Low, right, left.

mickey
10-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Greetings,

I agree with the above two posts.

mickey

Knifefighter
10-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Knifefighter,

I had the opportunity to view the fight clip you posted of yourself. I think is a great thing to want to take your ability to the next level. From what I saw, and I write this not to diss, you could actually benefit from 3 moves combo training. Sometimes it is necessary to take a step back in order to take a few steps forward. What did I find missing in your clip? The ability to finish off your opponent. Just being in the ring with someone sticking, jabbing and clinching will not save you in a street encounter. And the element of surprise is such a great equalizer.

mickey

LOL... another clueless dumb@ss with nothing to back it up. I think breaking someone's shin with a low kick and ko'ing another one through a head gear in stickfighting would be finishing people off. As would choking them out, armlocking them and finishing with punches on the ground. But please feel free to enlighten me and post one single bit of evidence of you finishing someone off with those 3 move combos you can supposedly do. Then I'll take your advice.

BTW, did you notice the three arm locks? In "da str33t" those are broken arms.

mickey
10-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Hello Knifefighter,

Just to let you know that I did see your post before you edited it.

As for the combination I presented, my guess is that you tried it and could not do it. I noticed that you changed your response from "see what I mean" to what it is presently.

You call someone a dumb@ss and then ask for them to post up footage? Hilarious!! But I will share that the sequence is not entirely linear. And depending the person as well as the opponent (size, etc.) the technique can take just a little longer to execute. I was using the concept of Intercept. My question is if you had difficulty with the technique, what did you do to make it yours, to make it fit in with your abilities?

I see your skin is a little thinner than mine. I will leave you to your world. I hope you will give 3 move combos an exploration for your own growth and development.

Take good care,

mickey

Knifefighter
10-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Hello Knifefighter,

Just to let you know that I did see your post before you edited it.

As for the combination I presented, my guess is that you tried it and could not do it. I noticed that you changed your response from "see what I mean" to what it is presently.

You call someone a dumb@ss and then ask for them to post up footage? Hilarious!! But I will share that the sequence is not entirely linear. And depending the person as well as the opponent (size, etc.) the technique can take just a little longer to execute. I was using the concept of Intercept. My question is if you had difficulty with the technique, what did you do to make it yours, to make it fit in with your abilities?

I see your skin is a little thinner than mine. I will leave you to your world. I hope you will give 3 move combos an exploration for your own growth and development.

Take good care,

mickey

Another clueless kung fu guy who posts fantasy foo, theoretical techniques that he cannot practice full-on, can provide no evidence that he has ever done so, and then tells someone he can do it better when they do put up full-contact videos doing what they say they do.

And people wonder why I give kung fu guys such a hard time.

mickey
10-16-2010, 05:43 PM
HAHAHAHAHHA!!! You are too much.

Knifefighter,

I am starting to like you. You are really an okay guy. :)

mickey

dimethylsea
10-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Something I was wondering about.. do any other gungfu styles have a specific set of 20+ Zhao that are trained as solo forms? Gao houtien work like this and I as far as I know having set piece specific combos practiced and laid out as solo forms is pretty unusual for baguazhang. Is this uncommon in other styles of gungfu ? (I ask because I recognize I'm pretty ignorant when you get beyond bagua, taiji and xingyi).

EarthDragon
10-19-2010, 07:22 AM
TT

Dudes, does every thread have to become rife with personal attacks?
Ever read Bullshido? You find a thread and then you have to wade through page after page of personal attacks and bullshido to find a decent post.
Please, don't let this forum turn into that.

unfortualty any thread that knfiefighter posts in which is EVERY ONE, turns into name calling. Its the only way he knows how to communicate, funny thing is he posts on every thread that talks about kung fu yet says hes a MMA and hates kung fu:confused:

Knifefighter
10-19-2010, 07:36 AM
TT

unfortualty any thread that knfiefighter posts in which is EVERY ONE, turns into name calling. Its the only way he knows how to communicate, funny thing is he posts on every thread that talks about kung fu yet says hes a MMA and hates kung fu:confused:

Nope, wrong again. What I disagree with is making claims about things there is no verifiable evidence for and then not supplying any evidence for those claims.

Case in point. I used to thing John Wang was making things up. As soon as there was some evidence to support what he was saying, I no longer have an issue with him.

Another case in point: You say the MT athletes are kicking incorrectly, yet you can supply no evidence for fighters kicking the way you say it should be done. Of course I have a problem with that and think you are making stuff up.

EarthDragon
10-19-2010, 07:38 AM
LOL did you say something negative again dale franks
Knifefighter This user is on your Ignore List.

go buy some rogain for that cul de sac