PDA

View Full Version : Who here has sparred a Western Martial Artist?

Water Dragon
10-30-2001, 04:21 AM
BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman?

As for me, all of the above except for Muay Thai.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Stranger
10-30-2001, 04:29 AM
That's a questionable definition for "Western Martial Arts" (just to bust your bullocks a bit).

Oh, and Yes I have. :D

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Water Dragon
10-30-2001, 04:33 AM
Point taken. How about "Martial Arts with a heavy emphasis on the full-contact sporting aspect"

Better? :D

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

SevenStar
10-30-2001, 04:47 AM
I have. Next on my list is a tae bo instructor. ;)

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

Kung Lek
10-30-2001, 04:55 AM
sevenstar, that's nothing, you should check out the "step club step destruction" system ®

man that's nasty stuff.
Didn't know Muay Thai was western, but I too am "busting" you on that.

I have sparred and fought with all kinds.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

MixedMartialArtist
10-30-2001, 05:07 AM
I train in, and regularly spar against Muay Thai...why do you ask?

Watchman
10-30-2001, 06:25 AM
All of the above for me.

Chris McKinley
10-30-2001, 06:29 AM
Yes, yes, yes, and no...respectively.

Sharky
10-30-2001, 06:31 AM
yes yes no no

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

straight blast
10-30-2001, 06:35 AM
Yes, yes, yes, no. Irregularly, regularly, all the time, not at all. I like sparring boxers & Thai Boxers 'cos they usually know how to fight. I.e. they learn stuff, then have to immediately be able to determine its worth in the ring or else get hurt. Good way to learn yourself.
BJJers are also good. I'd like to spar them more. One or two of them have showed me that BJJ is NOT all about groundfighting. Their standup skills weren't up to par with any of the boxers/Muay Thai boxers, but they're still fun. :cool:

"Pain is merely weakness leaving the body"

Johnny Hot Shot
10-30-2001, 06:47 AM
I think it's best to spar as many different people/styles as you can.

Why?

"Life's a great Adventure, Mate"
Jacko Jackson

Mr. Nemo
10-30-2001, 07:15 AM
yes(BJJ), yes(boxing), no(thai boxing), yes(greco).

yenhoi
10-30-2001, 07:31 AM
I have.

strike!

Wongsifu
10-30-2001, 03:15 PM
does kickboxing count... if yes , then o**** me in

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

shaolinboxer
10-30-2001, 04:45 PM
Dozens of times.

JWTAYLOR
10-30-2001, 04:59 PM
Yes all, often.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

LEGEND
10-30-2001, 05:11 PM
yes.

A

apoweyn
10-30-2001, 05:25 PM
i've never thought of muay thai as a western art before, but okay.

boxing, yes (just last night, as it happens)
greco, no

fencing (european vs. eskrima), yes

shaolinboxer
10-30-2001, 06:42 PM
BTW, when did Thailand move to the west?

MonkeySlap Too
10-30-2001, 06:46 PM
Yes to all.

I think Thailand became part of Canada, didn't it?

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

Ryu
10-30-2001, 07:01 PM
I have.
Every single one. BJJ guys used to be the only sparring partners I had for about a year or so :D

Wrestlers are extremely tough, and can hurt you if you're not careful. Awesome fighters.
Boxers are great too. Just because a lot can't fight on the ground doesn't mean it's a piece of cake to get them there...
I sparred one Muay Thai guy, but I don't think he was really good. We had a "you can't take me down" challenge match.....I took him down quite easily. :)

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimuraosawa.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Water Dragon
10-30-2001, 07:24 PM
How (if at all) did it change your views/training of the CMA? I for one, was the "Ultimate Warrior" until I got my clock cleaned by wrestler.

MonkeySlap Too
10-30-2001, 07:40 PM
Straight boxing didn't impact me.

Neither did Muay Thai - although I fought one guy from Iran who was so relaxed and fast that whenever my timing on the throw was off, he punched the Sh!t out of me.

Wrestlers, confirmed what I already beleived. They learn fast too. Early on thier hard core approach to training impacted my mind set and influenced my training from then on.

BJJ - ticked me off, because they did all these things that I got yelled at for doing in my Judo days. Then they took it all light years ahead. I woke up one day and discovered my groundwork was still in the Axial age, while everyone else was in the industrial age. Groundwork isn't my primary thing, but it is important. I'm really digging all the things that I am picking up from my friends who are focusing on it.

I'm still not conviced ground pounders can deal with a knife tho...

"Poor is the pupil who
does not surpass his
master" - Leonardo Da
Vinci

SevenStar
10-30-2001, 07:53 PM
It didn't, as I was into muay thai and grappling before I got into CMA. What really woke me up was karate (seriously) I had never met a good karateka until I met a friend of mine. He is so fast and relaxed - no rigidity, he utilizes more than just srtaight line attacks, and he has awesome power. He actually moves the way a good CMA should move.

My other big wake up call came from a hellified spinning back kick from a TKD stylist. There is a korean teacher here who is excellent. he coached the female 88 gold medalist, and his students are very skilled.

From this I learned never to underestimate anyone just because of the style they train in

" - nightair

wu_de36
10-30-2001, 08:02 PM
i had a sabre fencer whoop my ass :)

Water Dragon
10-30-2001, 08:05 PM
I think the biggest thing I learned from these guys is that you MUST I repeat MUST work this stuff in all out full contact sparring on a somewhat regular basis. Otherwise, it's just pretty forms and theory that will probably get you killed.

nightair
10-30-2001, 08:20 PM
I used to study boing and kickboxing. So whenever I spar my buddies that is what they use. I also spar a lot of street fighters (My cousins don't really belive that any martial arts work, so they always try to hurt me when I least expect it. They have not succeeded yet.) Also my brother in arms studies small circle jujitsu and other japenese styles. So whenever we spar it ends up being Japenese vs. Chinese styles. :D

DOH!!

nightair
10-30-2001, 08:23 PM
It made me learn a little more about those arts so that I know the way some of those guys fight. And whenever I lost it just made me train harder.

DOH!!

SevenStar
10-30-2001, 08:51 PM
Agreed, WD. believe that is a necessity. That is how you are able to determine if what you are using will work (techniques you are using, not your style) and will point out what you need to work on more. It will also aid in teaching you how to deal with a hard hit, as there are many factors involved other than pain - spinning, if it's a solid shot to the jaw, the tendency to flinch after you're been hit hard, etc.

nightair, you studied boing? it's good to train boing under (and over) a good shapely partner! :D

" - nightair

yenhoi
10-30-2001, 08:57 PM
Sparring against different styles, and even more importantly, a range of persons from different styles and systems is just good for your abilitys in general - not sure what you mean by 'view' of CMA. I do have faith in my art.

Remember, most humans have 2 arms, 2 legs, head, elbows, etc.

Muy Thai fighters are usually the most brutal that I have sparred.

I have also expierenced some surprizes against some Karate people and TKD people.

I regularly sparr against a college bud of mine who is a 'expert' in TKD. I dont know his belt level, etc, but he has been training under his father - his whole life. Quite a talented fighter.

strike!

SevenStar
10-30-2001, 09:18 PM
I'm sure that by "views" he means in reference to the way that you train. As we all know, not all schools spar, and mainly focus on forms and drills. What he is saying is that if that applies to you, and you then sparred full contact with someone who does so on a regular basis (which is why he used they styles that he did - they are used to contact, even if they aren't all western :) )did it change your outlook on the way you should train? If you only do forms, you may be giving yourself a false sense of confidence if you thnk you will be able to handle yourself in a confrontation

" - nightair

nightair
10-31-2001, 04:42 AM
Hey sevenstar, It seems you find my stupidity humorous, well, SO DO I!!LOL. I really need to type more carefully don't I? :( :D :p :) :D :p :) :D :p :) :D :p :)

DOH!!

Piccolo Junior
10-31-2001, 05:59 AM
Muay Thai is a Traditional Southeast Asian Martial Art.

"It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art of someone who is too serious has no flavour."- Choki Motobu

SevenStar
10-31-2001, 06:52 AM
yes, I do. You usually misspell word that turn the sentence from something serious into something seriously hilarious! :D

" - nightair

Stranger
10-31-2001, 08:37 AM
I learned that while the "WMA" (as defined in this thread) were not the ultimate, they could provide a different perspective for determining "true combat effectiveness" which could compliment any stylistic approach. Any art I observe, I now gauge by what I percieve as it's ability to cope with spontaneous, unrehearsed, full-speed exchange.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

KnightSabre
10-31-2001, 02:20 PM
Well I've sparred more than just those.
I've sparred Boxing,Thai,BJJ,Judo,Karate,Tae Kwon Do,Wing Chun,Northern Long Fist,5 Animals,Ninjitsu,Wrestling and some others.

It's good to experience different styles.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".