PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Reasons to do MMA

Eric Hunstad
10-19-2010, 06:39 AM
10. I look great in spandex shorts!
9. It gives me something to do between episodes of Jacka$$ and Jersey Shores.
8. I love the variety- gi, no gi, or Greek.
7. Social skills are not required!
6. It gives me the opportunity to act out my inner urges to roll on the floor with young, muscular men without looking too gay!
5. It's a great outlet for my anger at my father now that I'm too old to pull the wings off of flies and kick puppies.
4. Chicks dig it- at least that's what we tell each other in the MMA chat rooms that I spend all my Saturday nights in.
3. It gives me the ability to spend countless hours posting on online kung fu forums. Wait a second I have to Google something...."What's a Glock9?"
2. It's a great distraction from the fact that the ability to hit people is my only marketable skill...UUUURRRGGG! Hulk angry!!! Hulk smash!!!!!
1. It's a hell of a lotta fun!!!!

Eric Hunstad
www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

bawang
10-19-2010, 07:13 AM
ur face looks like my ass

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Eric, no offense man, but that post has as much value as Knigfefighters insights into Kung Fu.

There's nothing wrong with practicing mma.

The problem is the disconnect in trying to reconcile it against what is Kung Fu.

MMA is one thing, Kung Fu is another entirely. If they were the same, they'd be the same, plain and simple.

I find it interesting that it is Chinese Martial Arts that get attacked and yet others often go unnoticed regardless of how silly they seem. IN fact, you'll find guys propping up unrealistic stuff as if it is the real to the detriment of their own position.

In every art form, there is something to criticize, that much is certain.

intention is everything.

MasterKiller
10-19-2010, 07:45 AM
MMA is one thing, Kung Fu is another entirely.

And yet, it doesn't have to be this way.

Eric Hunstad
10-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Guys, I'm just trying to point out that we all have things we can make fun about ourselves. Everyone needs to lighten up. I flammed TMA equally.....

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 07:54 AM
And yet, it doesn't have to be this way.

I think the component of san shou meets that, but still, overall practice of traditional chinese martial arts is not like that. there is more to it. Doesn't make it better, but I think that anyone past the gate understands that "Kung Fu" does NOT equate to simply martial arts and as a term, never has.

I don't see classical weapons making it into the mma clubs around the world anytime soon though.

Dragonzbane76
10-19-2010, 07:55 AM
yeah whats the big deal he posted one on TMA's as well.

everyone needs to take a deep breath and remember this is the internet... that's it plain and simple.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-19-2010, 08:00 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/funny_mma_shirt-p235467004944260730troh_525.jpg

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 08:27 AM
yeah whats the big deal he posted one on TMA's as well.

everyone needs to take a deep breath and remember this is the internet... that's it plain and simple.

if we are to ever get anywhere, we have to form community. If we always take the position that there is no value because "it's internet" then there is NO value at all in anything on the net.

that's an easy out to having to deal with others or to try and resolve problems in a relationship. be it online or for real.

Have you not met with guys and befriended them in real life from internet? I have. I'm not indiscriminate about it, but I've made some great friends through martial arts sites and have even trained with a few and maintain long term friendships with some.

But hey, its only internet right?

I don't think it's any different than being in a large group having a discussion.

Kids screaming in the background are annoying there too. :)

Dragonzbane76
10-19-2010, 08:33 AM
if we are to ever get anywhere, we have to form community. If we always take the position that there is no value because "it's internet" then there is NO value at all in anything on the net.

that's an easy out to having to deal with others or to try and resolve problems in a relationship. be it online or for real.

Have you not met with guys and befriended them in real life from internet? I have. I'm not indiscriminate about it, but I've made some great friends through martial arts sites and have even trained with a few and maintain long term friendships with some.

But hey, its only internet right?

I don't think it's any different than being in a large group having a discussion.

Kids screaming in the background are annoying there too.

sorry not my reasoning for being here. It's entertainment for me, if I happen to make some friends along the way or learn something, then all the better. If your here to make friends more power to you. But you have to understand not everyone shares your point of view or your "needs". Everyone has different motivation from wanting to learn to trolling. both ends of the spectrum. My thoughts are it's all open ended, and I like it that way.

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 08:39 AM
sorry not my reasoning for being here. It's entertainment for me, if I happen to make some friends along the way or learn something, then all the better. If your here to make friends more power to you. But you have to understand not everyone shares your point of view or your "needs". Everyone has different motivation from wanting to learn to trolling. both ends of the spectrum. My thoughts are it's all open ended, and I like it that way.

you can have thousands of people driving down the road all in harmony.

all it takes is one ******* to destroy that harmony. It is that ******* who thinks his needs and desires are more important than the groups. so that *******es error in thinking brings harm to all the others effected by his desire and his needs.

I do think the internet offers the anonymity that people use to vent their frustrations because that is their needs.

I don't need anything from here, but I would like to see and participate in a more solid and thoughtful community instead of a community that is fending off obtuse fools and belligerent kids.

There is little value in chaos and less in promoting it. It's easy to wreck things and difficult to build them. The right path is never the easy one and more often than not, community and good will is lost through negligence more so than a plan.

Dragonzbane76
10-19-2010, 09:40 AM
people are people, you can't have total "harmony" within a virtual environment when there is no face to face. Believe me a lot of people would be totally different in the real setting.

water down the river in my book.

haha my advise... you should put your ignore option on. You seemed to no be having a break down when you had it on. just my thoughts though. :)

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 09:56 AM
do you honestly think that my expression is like a breakdown?

really?

dude. this is a forum. ideas are thrown out, discussed, debated etc.
I don't take issue with that.

drive by sh1t talkers such as we have been seeing are in my opinion not really conducive to a sense of community.

If you don't want that, ok. Go elsewhere? I dunno. People want different things and have a different understanding of personal responsibility for their words and actions.

I made a choice to be real here in this forum and to get rid of my anonymity and to really get involved with people because this forum and only this forum is the only one I have YET to physically meet anyone from! lol

However, It is a forum where I find a lot of people who are interesting in their experiences and chosen arts.

I'm all down with fun and whatnot, but thugs should be discouraged in any environment. TRolling is one thing, being a constant bane and a thug is pitiful.

Dragonzbane76
10-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I made a choice to be real here in this forum and to get rid of my anonymity and to really get involved with people because this forum and only this forum is the only one I have YET to physically meet anyone from! lol

what ever floats you boat but you might not like what you find.

good luck.

Lucas
10-19-2010, 10:13 AM

its because you live in the arctic frozen north, where the sun only shines once a year and you live in a state of perpetual darkness. and watch hockey.

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 10:29 AM
what ever floats you boat but you might not like what you find.

good luck.

i've been active here since '95. I've pretty much seen it all, or whatever there is to be seen on a forurm, I've seen it here. lol :p

and you're right, sometimes I don't like what I find.

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 10:31 AM
its because you live in the arctic frozen north, where the sun only shines once a year and you live in a state of perpetual darkness. and watch hockey.

I live an hour and a half away from Niagra Falls New York.
I'm across the Lake from Rochester NY.
I'm a 1 hr plane ride from NYC
I live on the same parallel as Marseille France.
I don't watch Hockey.

:)

Iron_Eagle_76
10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I live an hour and a half away from Niagra Falls New York.
I'm across the Lake from Rochester NY.
I'm a 1 hr plane ride from NYC
I live on the same parallel as Marseille France.
I don't watch Hockey.

:)

Wow, the only good thing about Canada and you don't watch it! Come on, man.:D

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Wow, the only good thing about Canada and you don't watch it! Come on, man.:D

I liked it in the 70's when the talent pool was deep.
nowadays, there are so many guys out there, it's not the same.
I blame Gretzky and Gary Bettman for turning Hockey into mud.

there's plenty of good things about Canada, you, being a mercan, probably just don't realize how much goodness in the world Canadians are responsible for.

Eric Hunstad
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
David J.-

I respect you 1) because you use your real name, and 2) because you started you initial reply with 'Eric, no offense man......". I appreciate that. You seem like a genuine guy and a good one at that.

Everyone (including David)- I started this post because as it has been pointed out before, that in converstaions like the MMA vs TMA issue (and most political "debates" too) all that really happens is that everyone walks aways with a reinforced sence of their original position along with high blood pressure. I am just saying that maybe through humor and understanding we will find common ground and hopefully move forward.

So maybe now we can all chuckle, relax, let our guard down, stop judging each other, and get back to doing martial arts (or whatever it is we do).

Further, as everyone probably knows by now, I have a TMA background (25+ years) with a dabbling of BJJ, MMA, TKD, Philipino knife, and who knows what else. I'm not listing this to brag or to say I am a bad a$$ cause I'm not. But in an effort to expand my horizons, I am willing to take the plunge and join a local MMA school at least for a few months. Why? I have always wanted to but have never had the time. Now seems like a good time. As I have said before, I'm a TMA guy but do like MMA and even tried to bring in BJJ into my school, but it never got off the ground.

My friend John Gorsuch teaches here: www.nucfl.com but it is too far to go on a regular basis.

So I'll probably go here www.forcefitnessgym.com which is an American Top Team gym in Cocoa Beach. Still a hike for me, but closer than John's place.

Now having said that I'll have to take it easy for a few months as I rehab my neck. For those that don't know I had an epic fail while surfing the awesome swells from Hurricane Earl last month and sufferred a concussion, class III whiplash injury and herniated 2 disks in my neck (one has an annular tear). To add insult to injury, I lost my surfboard too!!! I have had lots of pain and numbness in my fingers of my left hand, but using the things I have learned from TCM/TCMA I have had a great recovery so far and expect to be able to exercise again very shortly.

Don't expect any fights anytime soon (I'm 43 years old!!!), but I'll post my experiences once I get up and running.

One last thing- many guys are going to my website and signing up for my free email tips, but you are apparently mispelling your email address. Please make sure it's correct before you submit it.

Eric Hunstad
www.OldSchoolKungFuNow.com

YouKnowWho
10-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I think the component of san shou meets that, but still, overall practice of traditional chinese martial arts is not like that. there is more to it.
Agree 100% there. The Sanshou is only the "sport" training. There is much more to it. In CMA, there is a set of training that you only apply to "unfriendly challengers". Those moves may look like regular moves but there are some small tricks involved. Here are 2 clips in Chinese but you may still be able to see the difference between "sport" and "combat". At the end of the 2nd clip, the teacher put a metal bottom in his shoes. It was beyond "sport" and that's for sure.

http://johnswang.com/sc19.wmv
http://johnswang.com/sc23.wmv

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Agree 100% there. The Sanshou is only the "sport" training. There is much more to it. In CMA, there is a set of training that you only apply to "unfriendly challengers". Those moves may look like regular moves but there are some small tricks involved. Here are 2 clips in Chinese but you may still be able to see the difference between "sport" and "combat". At the end of the 2nd clip, the teacher put a metal bottom in his shoes. It was beyond "sport" and that's for sure.

http://johnswang.com/sc19.wmv
http://johnswang.com/sc23.wmv

what movie is that anyway? You've posted clips from it before and it looks like it's a pretty good movie. I am wondering if I can get my hands on it from a local chinese movie distributor.

Is it a very popular film?

YouKnowWho
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
It's called 跤王(Jiao Wang) - the Wrestling King. You can watch it online (but it's in Chinese). I just took out the CMA part and made it into 24 short clips.

In those 2 clips, the teacher tried to teach his students how to intentional hurt their opponent in "sport". Today we call those moves as "illegal" moves. IMO, those moves have great "combat" value. I'm glad that TCMA will still be able to pass those skill down to the future generation.

http://v.sogou.com/series/jiaowang.html