PDA

View Full Version : Politico: 99 Democrat House seats in danger

BJJ-Blue
10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
"With two weeks remaining until Election Day, the political map has expanded to put Democrats on the run across the country — with 99 Democratic-held House seats now in play, according to a POLITICO analysis, and Republicans well in reach of retaking the House.

It’s a dramatic departure from the outlook one year ago — and a broader landscape than even just prior to the summer congressional recess. As recently as early September, many Republicans were hesitant to talk about winning a majority for fear of overreaching.

Today, however, the nonpartisan Cook Political Report predicts a GOP net gain of at least 40 House seats, with 90 Democratic seats in total rated as competitive or likely Republican.

"When Chairman [Pete] Sessions and Leader [John] Boehner said that 100 House seats were in play, Democrats scoffed,” said Ken Spain, the National Republican Congressional Committee’s communications director. “Today, they aren't laughing anymore."

The number of Democrats in danger is more than double the 39 seats Republicans need to seize control of the House. It reflects an elastic electoral environment that favors the GOP by every measure: money, momentum and mood of the country — in this case, sour on Democratic incumbents.

“This year is shaping up to be something of a repeat of the 52-seat House and eight-seat Senate rout of Democrats in 1994,” handicapper Charlie Cook wrote last week. “Sure, the circumstances and dynamics are different from then, but the outcome seems to be shaping up along the same lines.”

At one time, there was serious doubt the GOP would have the financial resources to compete effectively for the House majority. The thinking was that scores of potential opportunities could go unexplored due to the cash disparity between the NRCC and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

While the NRCC still trails in cash on hand, its fundraising has picked up — the September total was the committee’s largest one-month take since 2006 — and independent groups have helped fill the void. And with anti-incumbent, anti-Obama and anti-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi sentiment running so high in many districts, even a relative pittance has been enough to push a few Democrats onto thin ice."

Complete article:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/43814.html

When Politico predicts a bad day for the Democrats, you know it's gonna be bloodbath. Recovery should begin soon. :)

David Jamieson
10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
keep your hope alive I guess.

it's going to come down to an election and the republicans nad their supporters look like a lot of fruitloops though.

so, what happens if there is a tie or horrors! the democrats retain their seats and take whatever republican ones are left over?

whatever shall you do then? lol

solo1
10-25-2010, 10:24 AM
How is it that the republicans look like fruit loops? exactly?

David Jamieson
10-25-2010, 11:09 AM

do you read any newspapers? watch any tv? been following 1bads threads?

if you answered "yes" to any of these, why are you even asking that question?

:rolleyes:

BJJ-Blue
10-25-2010, 11:13 AM
are you even asking that question?

Maybe he wants to see you duck his questions as well.

David Jamieson
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Maybe he wants to see you duck his questions as well.

what's that quacker?

ducking is your specialty. That and licking the balls of anyone who you even think is agreeing with your half-assed world view. lol

trying to make friends by diminishing someone else's point of view is for people in grade 3 bud.

grow up, grow a pair and become a man.

MasterKiller
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2010/09/20/values_voter_slide_show/06.jpg

BJJ-Blue
10-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Come on David, explain how Bush's policies/legislation caused the mess.

Stop calling names and telling me I'm too stupid/dense/slow to understand it. Just rationally explain your position and see if I can grasp it. So far the only replies to my simple questions have been name-calling from you.

Of course I'm betting you're name-calling in yet another desperate attempt to get all the threads locked so we can't see your ducking.

solo1
10-27-2010, 07:06 AM
From Drudge:

REID 'FREE FOOD' AT TURNOUT EVENTS...

Nevada voting machines automatically checking Harry Reid's name;

voting machine technicians are SEIU members

Democratic allies such as teachers' unions are offering gift cards in return for a vote for Reid.

SPRINGFIELD – Illinois may not be finished investigating those late military ballots.

Members of the House Elections Committee say they're considering formal hearings into how and why 36 counties missed the deadline to send ballots to deployed servicemen and other overseas voters.

and so it begins.

David Jamieson
10-27-2010, 07:13 AM
From Drudge:

REID 'FREE FOOD' AT TURNOUT EVENTS...

Nevada voting machines automatically checking Harry Reid's name;

voting machine technicians are SEIU members

Democratic allies such as teachers' unions are offering gift cards in return for a vote for Reid.

SPRINGFIELD – Illinois may not be finished investigating those late military ballots.

Members of the House Elections Committee say they're considering formal hearings into how and why 36 counties missed the deadline to send ballots to deployed servicemen and other overseas voters.

and so it begins.

yep, and you are beginning it here with an accusation that has no backup. lol

solo1
10-27-2010, 07:14 AM
DJ!!!! good morning, I knew youd be the first. you frigging rock!!!!

David Jamieson
10-27-2010, 07:16 AM
always up for crashing the republican rants about the evils of democracy. lol

MasterKiller
10-27-2010, 07:16 AM
They learned from the best:

http://www.sustainabilityninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/george-bush.jpg

GLW
10-27-2010, 08:07 AM
I can't resist pointing out that back in '08 and '06, there were those of us here that pointed out that the voting machines COULD be rigged.

The right-wing response then was no way - in spite of a couple of tests that showed it WAS possible and how...and the fact that the voting machine companies refused to allow their software to be security reviewed...software best practices of a full acceptance test when patches were made...being mandatory... (You see, in '04, there were patches that went out to the machines less than a month before the election...and the acceptance test prior to all of that was NOT done..and could not have been done because the time before that when they DID an acceptance test, it took several months)...

The response was NO WAY they could be hacked...even though there was and still is no audit trail on the machines...and such a thing would be EASY to implement.

But this time around, they are crying "Voting machine tampering" BEFORE the fact...hmmm... but they have not changed....so what is it tampering possible or not?

Now, the Democrats have always been about getting out the voters... Republicans have been traditionally about suppressing voter turnout... There are easily found reasons for this...low turnout usually means that lower income voters did not vote...and that helps the Republicans.

But, if the machines can be rigged, when are you right wing folks going to join those of us on the left who want them either changed in a significant way or abolished in favor of a more auditable system...

OR do you only want to complain about them when it looks like you can use that as an excuse for your chosen guy losing?

Now, I personally would like to see the machines changed in a major way...and audit trails added....and multiple levels of verification from all parties added. An OPEN electoral process tends to be a more fair and honest one...

But claiming that union members volunteering for voting duty means that the machines were rigged...well, you DO realize that you are contradicting all of your postings from as little as 2 years ago on the subject.....

MysteriousPower
10-28-2010, 12:46 PM
How do you all plan on celebrating when the Republicans win the House of Representatives an possibly the Senate?

You guys had all the power and did not fix a thing. The people are making a come back.

Tell me: How do you have control of all three tiers of power...and make the country worse off?

Do not forget to blame Bush.

David Jamieson
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
hi 1bad, finally couldn't take it and made the leap over eh? lol

MasterKiller
10-28-2010, 01:04 PM

They have different IPs.

MysteriousPower
10-28-2010, 01:26 PM

I actually just found out there was a huge political debate going on here. I never thought to even check outside of the Kung fu forum for anything interesting.

Thanks, guys! This is a bit more interesting than Kung fu. So how are you all going to celebrate?

MasterKiller
10-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I'll probably crank a few out to this:

http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2010/09/Christine-Odonnell.jpg

David Jamieson
10-28-2010, 01:32 PM
They have different IPs.

Im sure i show a few different ones eh. :)

meh, no worries, lol

p.s there are no political discussions here. Just polarized bickering like the main forum.

Reality_Check
10-28-2010, 01:44 PM
How do you all plan on celebrating when the Republicans win the House of Representatives an possibly the Senate?

You guys had all the power and did not fix a thing. The people are making a come back.

Tell me: How do you have control of all three tiers of power...and make the country worse off?

Do not forget to blame Bush.

Didn't the Republicans control all three branches for the first 6 years of President Bush's time in office?

Lucas
10-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Having diff IP doesnt necessarily mean anything...just sayin :eek::p

MysteriousPower
10-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Having diff IP doesnt necessarily mean anything...just sayin :eek::p

That means you could technically be him. :)