PDA

View Full Version : The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman

GeneChing
10-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I could have sworn we had a thread on this but it didn't come up in a search.

Wed, Oct 20, 2010
China Daily/Asia News Network
Answering the kungfu call (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Showbiz/Story/A1Story20101020-243255.html)

Hollywood director Doug Liman is producing his first China film, The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman. Liu Wei reports

Doug Liman, director of Bourne Identity and Mr. & Mrs. Smith, is producing a Chinese film for the first time.

The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman is a kungfu comedy directed by Chinese filmmaker Wuershan for Fox International Productions (FIP), a division of 20th Century Fox that produces and acquires local language films of other countries and territories, including China.

"My role is to introduce Wuershan to the world, and the world to Wuershan," the 45-year-old filmmaker says.

Wuershan, 38, has built a reputation as a commercial director.

Butcher is his first feature film for theatrical release.

Earlier this year, his producer Daniel Yu showed a rough cut to Sanford Panitch, who runs FIP and liked what he saw.

Panitch then invited Liman to become involved in the post-production, trailers and now, promoting the movie.

"I am introducing the world to a new wave of Chinese filmmakers," Liman says.

"There is an attitude in Wuershan's film - it's a kind of confidence to borrow from the past but also break with the past."

One example is a brothel scene, where it feels like any other Chinese period drama, until the madam breaks out into a rap.

"This is not your grandfather's type of Chinese movie," Liman says.

The film's structure, telling a story from three different points of view, has been seen in many movies, including Liman's Go, but Wuershan "is jumping through time in a way I cannot think another movie has quite done", Liman says.

The film tells the story of a mystic blade with the power to change its owners' fates.

It is expected in theaters on Nov 25.

Tony Safford, executive vice president, Worldwide Acquisitions for 20th Century Fox, Searchlight and FIP, said at a news conference last week he thought the film was playful and surprising.

Clearly, the soaring domestic Chinese box office is drawing Hollywood's attention.

China's box office gross hit 4.8 billion yuan (S$950 million) in the first half of 2010, about the entire earnings of 2008.

At the Full Blossom Film Festival, held this weekend by the China Filmmakers' Association, it was anticipated that China's box office gross would reach between 30 billion yuan (S$5.9 billion) and 40 billion yuan (S$7.9 billion) in 2015, making it the world's second-largest movie market.

Additionally, China will build 1,500 cinema screens this year, raising the total to 6,000 and the number is expected to double by the end of 2015.

Though China imports just 20 foreign films a year for theatrical release, Hollywood studios have found a way to gain market share, by co-producing with local filmmakers.

Disney made three co-productions in 2007 and followed up with another in 2009. It even created a local version of its smash hit, High School Musical.

Fox's first Chinese-language co-production, Hot Summer Days, with Huayi Brothers last year, cost $2 million (S$2.6 million) and grossed more than $19 million (S$25 million).

The potential of the market appears to override fears over censorship.

"I do feel like filmmakers all work within limitations," Liman says, citing Fair Game, his new film that is critical of the US government.

"The film might not have been made in the US because of capitalism. Audiences don't like political movies, so you don't need to censor them. For the most part the system just automatically censors them."

What's inspiring about teaming with Wuershan, Liman says, is that whatever space they are given, some filmmakers are telling great stories.

"And these collaborations with artists, even if we live in different systems, build roads for the future," he says. -China Daily/ANN

GeneChing
03-18-2011, 10:18 AM
This needs a trailer link: The Butcher, the Chef, and the Swordsman: Trailer (http://vodpod.com/watch/4432313-the-butcher-the-chef-and-the-swordsman-trailer)

The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman (http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/03/18/movies/the-butcher-the-chef-and-the-swordsman-review.html?nl=movies&emc=mua4)
Fox International Productions
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/03/18/arts/18butcher-span/18butcher-span-articleLarge.jpg
Masanobu Ando in “The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman.”
‘The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman’
By ANDY WEBSTER
Published: March 18, 2011

“The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman,” a dizzying period pop extravaganza from China, explodes with brio. Directed by Wuershan, a veteran of commercials who is making his feature debut, the film ricochets in a breakneck delirium from ham-fisted comedy to solemn revenge drama to antic martial-arts thriller, a crazy quilt of energy and style.

Partly midwifed by the director-producer Doug Liman, the movie comprises three interlocking stories linked to a vice. Ignorance is represented by the hapless butcher (Liu Xiaoye), who foolishly covets a courtesan (Kitty Zhang, evincing Anita Mui poise). Vengeance is embodied in the thief (the Japanese actor-director Masanobu Ando), undercover as a chef and on a mission of payback for his father’s murder. Covering greed is the swordsman (Ashton Xu), who covets a mystical blade. Their narratives — the thief’s is the most interesting — ultimately entwine, somehow connected by a black iron meat cleaver.

According to the press notes, there are philosophical underpinnings to this high-speed blender of a movie. But they are buried in stylistic indulgences of Western films: whiplash editing, electric guitars, hip-hop beats, overhead angles, candy-colored romantic interludes, split screens, animation, food-preparation montages, sepia sequences, even a swordfight rendered as a video game. In his embrace of American sensibilities, Wuershan seems to have mastered a Hollywood specialty: empty calories served loud, flashy and fast.

“The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman,” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned) for stylized violence and brief crude humor.

THE BUTCHER, THE CHEF AND THE SWORDSMAN

Opens on Friday nationwide.

Directed by Wuershan; written by Zhang Jiajia, Tang Que, Ma Luoshan and Wuershan, based on a script by Wuershan, Tang Que and Tang Xiru and a short story by An Changhe; director of photography, Michal Tywoniuk; edited by Huang Zhe; music by Gong Geer, Dead J and Miquia; production and costume design by Hao Yi; produced by Daniel Yu and Tang Xiru; released by China Lion Film Entertainment. In Mandarin, with English subtitles. Running time: 1 hour 35 minutes.

WITH: Kitty Zhang (Madam Mei), Liu Xiaoye (Chopper), Swanson Han (Chunge), Masanobu Ando (the Mute), You Benchang (Fat Tang) and Ashton Xu (Dugu Cheng).

BoxOfficeMojo (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=butcherchefswordsman.htm) reports this will have a release of 47. It's showing in here in the S.F. Bay Area in a few houses. To be honest, I've been anticipating Sucker Punch (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57945) next week and forgot about this one.

Hebrew Hammer
10-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Another interesting film choice for me this weekend...was expecting something off beat...like a Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and wasn't disappointed. The film starts at the end and works itself backwards interlacing the lives of the three main protagonists...its a film that doesn't take itself two seriously, with memorable characters and unexpected twists. A fun film, not for everyone, I do wish it had more fight scenes or extended ones, its not true martial arts film...more like martial comedy cult film.

GeneChing
01-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Another great kung food film in the tradition of God of Cookery and Kung Fu Chef (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57615). A flashback within a flashback. Comic-book cinematography with that Stephen Chow style irreverence on story arc and filmmaking. Psychotropic. Frenetic visuals, absurd quirky caricature roles for a lot of really ugly actors, engaging story telling with some nice twists, quite funny as in strange and haha. Don't see it for the martial arts; it's mostly wire work and special effects. See it for the film itself, which borders on visionary.

Zenshiite
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm watching this now... the rapping prostitutes are hilarious!

GeneChing
02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
That scene got me too. That's right about when the film really got my attention. What did you think of the rest of it?

Zenshiite
02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I really liked it. Pretty off the wall. What first got my attention was the heavy metal playing when the bearded swordsman came in... then that prostitute rap kicks in. I almost fell off the couch. Then when the Chef and the kid were "fixing" the toilet I was just waiting for something to happen right then and there.

Lucas
03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
loved this one. i'd have to agree that the prostitue rap was the shizzle..the madam can really bust it out!