PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Kung Fu: Sifu Cunningham or Sifu Wright?

weissgurt
10-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I have a Kung Fu School question I need to throw out there.
I just moved to Redondo Beach and have two Kung Fu Schools near by: South Bay Kung Fu Club - Sifu Richard Cunningham - Style: Hung Ga and Wrights Kung Fu - Sifu Derrick Wright - Style: 7 Star Praying Mantis.
I cant make a fully educated decision just based on just what I see and from reading their bio's and as I cant find any comments, reviews, stories etc. about these two, I am hoping some of you will be able to share some additional insight as to what you know about these two schools and their reputations - Thanks

Violent Designs
10-20-2010, 09:44 PM
If you can make the drive, the best teacher for Hung Kuen here in socal is Donald Hamby.

Shaolinlueb
10-20-2010, 09:44 PM
take the free class from each and go with whatever you like more. someone could argue 1 is better then the other, but if you don't like it, whats the point? do what you like.

Paul T England
10-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Hi I have met Sifu Wright and thought he was very good and also a gentleman. He has good lineage.

As said, the best thing is to go and watch a class or take a class and decide. Its really about how much you want to pay, what sort of kung fu you want and if you like the teacher and students you will spend a lot of time with.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

EarthDragon
10-21-2010, 06:50 AM
If you really want to learn form a old school teacher, my old sensei Les Heri teaches Okinwan Go Ju ryu 3 blocks form the beach, Tiger dojo.
I know its karate but he is incredible, his skill level is unmatched and a awesome teacher adn all around great guy, you will get your monies worht but I want to let you know he is from the school of hard knocks you will usually walk with a bruise, bloody or at least a limp after class LOL not right awsy but shortly there after hope this helps

weissgurt
10-21-2010, 10:31 AM
First, thank you all for giving me your time and thoughts.
Yes, I will definitely take intro classes with both to see how they are run to determine which appeals to me the most from that standpoint. I was also trying to determine where they both stand on the Kung Fu World Stage. I have looked at Donald Hamby but he is out of my reach from a distance standpoint (have a family/kid and need to keep "my" time local to RB, HB & MB). I will also look up Sensei Les Heri, he was studying at the Tiger Dojo Institute in NYC in the 70's/80's the same time i was studying Judo under Sensei Nobuyoshi Higashi at the Kokushi Budo Institute NYC as a kid. Also, as many of you know, being in RB/HB & MB I am surrounded with a huge variety of BJJ schools that cant be overlooked. Yet, I travel to China every 6-12 months for work, so i thought I would embrace Kung Fu to make the experience parallel & complete. Thus my question regarding their and their schools reputation. If anyone has further insight, greatly appreciate all the input i can get.