PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find the correct spelling of an old form I learned years ago

AdamO
10-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone out there. My name is Adam and I'm new to the forums. I used to study Northern Shaolin Kung Fu when I wa younger, I trained for about 6 years, then graduated high school and joined the Army. Well after serving 10 years in the Army I am now out and currently wanting to go back to my Kung Fu training.
I love the art..... it has always been more about the art of Kung Fu for me than the self defense or fighting.

Anyways..... I started this thread because I am trying to get the correct spelling of a form that I learned about 17 years ago, lol. It was the first form I learned and I can still remember how to do it after not doing it for a very, very long time, lol. I just can't remember how to spell it. Here goes my attempt at it though.....

Shi Bok Lohan Kuen

If anyone out there knows the correct spelling or has any links for it, I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks. :)

bawang
10-22-2010, 10:29 AM
shiba luohanquan 18 saints

David Jamieson
10-22-2010, 11:34 AM
18 lohan skills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFor5q8fDms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXSi_zzhfzA&NR=1

David Jamieson
10-22-2010, 12:09 PM
拳擊方法十八聖人
:)

wenshu
10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
18 lohan skills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFor5q8fDms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXSi_zzhfzA&NR=1

罗汉十八手/拳?

really?

AdamO
10-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Thank you all so much for your quick responses..... Unfortunately, I've watched the youtube links and neither one of them are the form that I learned. They are very similar in techique but not it.

I'll try to sound out the name again for you all... it sounds like what I'm spelling.

she - bock - Low - Han - Que - en

Maybe that will help out?

That's why I asked for links... that way I could watch them and make sure it was the right form. Once again thank you guys for all the quick responses.

bawang
10-22-2010, 01:39 PM
it means 18 luohan

AdamO
10-22-2010, 02:17 PM
I understand that it means 18 Luohan, but when I try to google it for images or videos to check that it is the right form the results I'm getting do not match up to the form that I learned. Also when I googled 18 Luohan it told me that there are six different open hand forms that go by that title. I'm so confused, lol. Someone please help me out with this.

YouKnowWho
10-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Either the Northern Shaolin master 高芳先(Gao Fang Xian) or the White Ape master 王得勝(Wang De Sheng) taught this form in Taiwan. I'm not sure which one because my friend who taught this form had trained from both masters.

David Jamieson
10-22-2010, 05:22 PM
罗汉十八手/拳?

really?

lol, i used "Boxing methods of the eighteen saints".

as opposed to yours which translates out weirder. lol

1/8 hands :)

although, i defer as i do not read or write Chinese and use software to do the transliteration as opposed to dialect translation

TenTigers
10-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I think they mixed dialects-shi ba? Manderin for 18, But Kuen is Cantonese
Manderin I believe it would be shi ba lo hon quan (Ch'uan)
In Cantonese it would be sup bot lo hon kuen (kyuhn)

David Jamieson
10-22-2010, 10:16 PM
or my favourite "law horn".

which is on police cars mostly over here... :p

RenDaHai
10-22-2010, 11:00 PM
To concur with others,

Shi Ba Luo Han Quan

18 Luohan Fist

It will be very hard to find the exact same version of your form. 18 Luohan is one of the more common names of a kung fu form. The majority of large kung fu styles that exist in china will have at least one form called luohan quan, and many of those will be referred to as 18 luohan quan or luohan 18 hands (luohan shi ba shou). THere are literally hundreds of luohan quan in china.

I estimate the northern shaolin temple itself has at least 50 forms currently associated with luohan quan.....

AdamO
10-23-2010, 07:04 AM
@ RenDaHai ......

See... That's what I thought. Like I said earlier when I googled it I found many pages that said it just wasn't one form, but a system of up to 108 different forms.... All with the same name. Lol. It's just so confusing. At lest I got the correct spelling though, hahaha. But I'm on a quest. There has got to be some sort of video on the web somewhere of someone doing this particular version of the form. Thank you though for the info. I greatly appreciate it. That goes for everyone else that helped me out with this too. Everyone was so eager to try and help me out...... That's cool. Thanks again everyone.

wenshu
10-23-2010, 10:06 AM
lol, i used "Boxing methods of the eighteen saints".

as opposed to yours which translates out weirder. lol

1/8 hands :)

although, i defer as i do not read or write Chinese and use software to do the transliteration as opposed to dialect translation

One of the videos you posted is Da Tong Bei. It says so in the comments of the video.

ShaolinDan
10-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Check the thread on 'lohan quan' ... I found my version of shibashou there.

bawang
10-23-2010, 01:14 PM
good luck adam. maybe one day you will find the magical special luohan form. then you will win.

AdamO
10-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Hahahahahaha

Northwind
10-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Yup, although i'm a Northern Shaolin practitioner, we don't have a beginner form called this, so you most likely studied with a different line than I. But I bet you'll have some fun searching, as "lohan" is popular and I'm sure many different styles etc. have forms with lohan in the name...

Royal Dragon
11-11-2010, 06:27 PM
One idea, video yourself doing the form, and post links to it. There may be a lot of people who recognize it. You may find all sorts of interesting info and history not only of the form itself, but the lineage and style it comes from.

iron_silk
11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Any chance your form is similar to his one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSvF3CiLx4&feature=related

xcakid
11-18-2010, 02:19 PM
at our Kwoon its called Shi Ba Lohan Shou. I have also come across other kwoons that call it Lohan Shi Ba Shou.

Here is one version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXSi_zzhfzA