PDA

View Full Version : Are traditional arts making a come back.

rogue
02-04-2001, 03:06 AM
Welcome to the back of the KFO bus.

Are traditional arts making a come back? Not that they've ever gone away but I've noticed people bringing the martial back to their arts. There's a movement that is studying their arts traditional kata/hyung/forms to find out what's been buried in them and some of the finds are really something.

So have any of you disected your forms and what did you find?

Robinf
02-04-2001, 04:58 AM
I'm afraid to find out it's all just a recipe for McDonald's secret sauce :D

Actually, so far I've only found weight transferring and how effective it is in self-defense.

I don't know what it is you're looking for. Maybe the secrets to Stonehenge?

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

MASTERMAN
02-05-2001, 06:52 PM
I agree the traditional way is being sought by disenchanted MA's. I have a few students who want to learn my system, Traditional Kenpo A-Z.

Surprisingly, this includes our forms etc. Years ago the prospective students wanted only reality approach... It's nice to pass along my system legacy.

You Have The Power,

Dave S :D

Kempo Guy
02-05-2001, 08:41 PM
I am not quite sure if traditional arts are making a comeback or not but I feel people are getting more aware of the intricacies of the Kata, i.e. the bunkai(applications).

Having trained in Okinawan and Japanese Karate, I have seen the differences in regards to the applications of the kata between the two.
Where many of the Okinawan Karate styles teach the not so obvious bunkai, the Japanese Karate I have trained in (primarily Shotokan and Kyokushin) only taught the obvious block and punch combinations. (Of course, this is now starting to change)

Having said this, I have taken it upon myself to delve a little deeper into the meaning of the kata. There are many sources out there, some good and some bad...

As most of you probably know, many of the applications in kata are either joint locking techniques or throws. Along with the corresponding pressure point strikes to "weaken" the attacker prior to executing the locks/holds/throws.

Most people when teaching kata show the interpretation in the exact sequence of the moves as it appears in the kata. I personally feel that this is a little too simplistic...
From my own "research" I have found that there are a number of ways to look at a kata such as:

- the movements could be in reverse of what is shown in the kata
- the fist at your sides can mean a pull/grab
- a closed fist can mean a grab
- the movement can be what your opponent is doing to you

Those are a few things one can consider when practicing forms. There are other theories out there in regards to kata but I won't get into that right now.

Just some thoughts from the cheap seats!

Robinf
02-05-2001, 10:10 PM
Kenpo Guy,

Interesting thoughts, particularly about "the movement can be what your oponent is doing to you". That one makes me think, and unfortunately, I don't have a response for it now, but I'll keep thinking and post again when I've had time to really digest that one.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

rogue
02-06-2001, 01:57 AM
I figure if Gen. Choi wrote a 11 volume TKD encyclopedia then there has to more to it than hook kicks.

I too have noticed that the Okinawans train bunkai right from the start.

I also have never looked at some parts of my hyungs and kata being what someone is doing to me. That's something to think about.

HuangKaiVun
02-13-2001, 02:25 PM
Good, rogue!

By doing and dissecting your forms, you'll find out what I've been stating all along: that TKD is is a COMPLETE fighting art capable of responding to virtually any encounter.

I don't know about the "comeback" part, but I do see more people going the traditional route as they find out how great it can be.

rogue
02-13-2001, 10:46 PM
The problem is that there is such a gap in training the applications of the hyungs and kata.
Even most ITF TKD and karate people don't even know (or even care), that some of those spear hands and blocks are grabs and joint locks. But hey, it's something fun to do outside of class.

MonkeySlap Too
02-14-2001, 03:03 AM
I find it interesting that so many schools have practiced forms for so long without ever knowing what they are for. This has happened in CMA as well.

In most of the CMA I have practiced the forms were the suitcase containing the tools, and if you knew how to use the tools you had a wide range of training options. Unfortunately too many people carry a suitcase without knowing what is in it.

It's great to see you digging in.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

HuangKaiVun
02-15-2001, 06:08 AM
Most teachers memorize the forms, a few of those know the applications behind the moves, a handful of the few can fight using those moves, and a select group have transcended forms altogether ONLY AFTER practicing them religiously.

Bruce Lee was the perfect example of this.