PDA

View Full Version : weapons: learn them better with form or without?

David Jamieson
10-22-2010, 09:45 PM
As the subject says.

Is it better to learn the categories of classical weapons using only the core techniques in drills first if you like, or do you think forms cover the techniques and let you figure out what you like?

Thinking in terms of all categories of weapons, I think that some or so simple in function that they are better trained with simple drills, but other more unusual or exotic weapons make more sense when trained with a form.

This is only my opinion and it does go both way, but as I said, in teh categories of weapons, which way would you prefer or would you think you might prefer?

YouKnowWho
10-22-2010, 10:24 PM
The way that I teach 苗刀 (Maio Dao) is to ask people to train 2 men drills first by using the bamboo swords. After people have learned all 16 different 2 men drills, I'll ask them to train solo drills at home. The solo drills will be identical to 2 men drills just without opponent. Later on I may show them how to link their drills into 2 moves combo, 3 moves combo, 4 moves combo, ... One day if I feel like, I may show them the original form from the 1st move to the 16th moves. Sometime I just let them to link all 16 moves any way they like. This is also my teaching method for my open hand art.

The advantage of this teaching method is to force those "CMA for health" students to learn application no matter they like it or not.

-N-
10-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Depends on the purpose of learning the weapon.

Sometimes it's not so much for learning the weapon itself, but more for developing a particular fighting skill.

For example, Daggers vs. Spear is as much(or more) to teach the student what it is to have the guts to fight as it is about things you can do with a pair of daggers.

-N-
10-22-2010, 10:43 PM
The advantage of this teaching method is to force those "CMA for health" students to learn application no matter they like it or not.

One day, my Sihing was teaching Tai Chi at the park.

A young couple and their very small children watched the class from the playground. The parents told their kids, "Look! They are practicing Tai Chi!" And they all watched very admiringly and attentively.

My Sihing got annoyed with one of the students who was moving incorrectly. He told him, "No! You have to do it like this. This is how you force his head up and backwards to break his neck!"

As he demonstrated on the student, we heard the parents gather up their children very quickly, shielding their view and telling them "We have to go right now!"

They probably were expecting hippie tai chi instead of what we were doing.

bawang
10-23-2010, 01:27 AM
wow man thats badass. u do extreme hardcore tai chi

SPJ
10-23-2010, 07:03 AM
short combo drills most of the time

:)

TenTigers
10-23-2010, 07:35 AM
The way that I teach 苗刀 (Maio Dao) is to ask people to train 2 men drills first by using the bamboo swords. After people have learned all 16 different 2 men drills, I'll ask them to train solo drills at home. The solo drills will be identical to 2 men drills just without opponent. Later on I may show them how to link their drills into 2 moves combo, 3 moves combo, 4 moves combo, ... One day if I feel like, I may show them the original form from the 1st move to the 16th moves. Sometime I just let them to link all 16 moves any way they like. This is also my teaching method for my open hand art.

I love this! This is exactly how I teach as well. When I teach dan-dao, I first teach drills I learned in Kali with single stick-attacks, counters from those attacks, and disarms off the counters. Then I teach two two-man drills. All of the drills are moves that also appear in our dan-dao set, so the student learns how to use a sword before learning the form. Then it becomes not only easier to teach, they have an understanding of usage, blade awareness (ever see people swing a sword with the blade facing incorrectly?) and intent.

jdhowland
10-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Completely agree. Learn how to hold a weapon and practice basic techniques first. Learning to flow in a set is useless until the intent is there.