PDA

View Full Version : Capoeira

DrunkenMonkey
01-12-2001, 05:23 AM
I heard a little about Capoeira while at lunch today. What exactly is it? I know its a Brazilian martial art, but not much else.

Is it mostly a performing art? No offense to any of you capoeira practitioners. I am just curious. Thanks. :confused:

Underaged Drunken Monkey

Budokan
01-12-2001, 05:29 AM
It's a MA developed by Brazilian slaves. It hides its self-defense moves within ritualized dance movements and forms. This isn't anything new, traditional Okinawan folk dances also have kata movements integrated into the choreographed forms.

I suppose someone of high skill level might be formidable, but for myself I'd let the Capoeira player wear himself out with all that flipping around...then I'd attack like a tiger coming down the mountainside.

K. Mark Hoover

Boulder Student
01-12-2001, 06:31 AM
The dance aspect of Capoeira was to allow the slaves to practice the fighting aspects of the their art without having the slave owners realize they were doing "kata." The video I have seen shows a very tricky art with a lot of circular kicks that use the heel to strike.

:D

One must toughen up without losing one's tenderness.

iamaloser
01-12-2001, 06:03 PM
You may have seen Copeira but not aware what it was called. There was a movie about it some years back called "Only The Strong". I'm sure you can rent the video at your local Blockbuster Video or other video store. It is typically performed with music and a lot of spin kicks and jumps. Again, since music is usually associated with it and it looks more like a dance during exhibitions, to the casual observer it doesn't look like a martial art.

Tien Long
01-12-2001, 08:34 PM
Well, I wanted to take Kung Fu, but I must say this has been a nice substitute in helping me remember and refine some moves I learned back a couple of years ago. Capoeria was a brought along by the African slaves to Brazil, from Angola, and developed in the slave areas of Bahia. To hide it they would diguise they're movements dance or showmanship, but in the bigger cities, were crime was rampant, the art was used against the law. Thusly it was outlawed. However, it still went on in secret. For example, if some people were going at it in a game in the street, and the police would come, the beats of the berimbauwould change to those of the taps of the horse. Signaled everyone would go back to whatever they were doing.

It wasn't until the 1900's that Capoeria was brought into mainstream Brazilian society with the openning of the fist public hall By Mestre Bimba, THE legend in capoeria history.

There are misconceptions about what types of movements and attacks you'll see in capoeria. Budokan said that he'd beat one of the capoeristras after they tire themselves out with all that flipping. There are acrobatic moves, some that even went into break dancing, however that's more for the show and demonstration. I remember one poster on these boards called capoeira a mix between "snake and monkey" styles. Capoeristras may dodge an attack, or make someone think that their defensless in a turn or flip, but come in with a kick out of nowhere. Evasion is a key factor in capoeira. FInally, there isn't one set style of capoeria. There is [i]capoeria regional[i/] which is the more acrobatic, fast-paced, spectacular kicks and flips art you see most often, and [i]capoeria angola[i/] the original style brought over by the African slaves. Its more reliant on the evasions, definitely slower, and sticks mostly to the ground. WHEW! that was exhaustive. :)

"Watch the skies, the DRAGON flies!"

Tvebak
01-12-2001, 09:44 PM
According to mestre bimba capoeira is treachery, i can relate to that from my experiences.
According to mestre Pastinha capoeira is everything the mouth eats, meaning that capoeira is in everything...
Capoeira is so much and so great that decribing it all would be impossible.
When you enter the roda(Cirkel), it is like entering a small world within the world.
Within the roda so many things can happen, you can play and have fun, show off, fight, communicate and much more...
Often the most dangerous things are those that seems the least dangerous, if you enter the roda not knowing what is going on you can easely be hurt.
Once a year i go to a MA gathering in norway and assist my teacher teaching people of all styles capoeira.
Its really popular, not only with the beginners but many off the masters take a great interest in it.
Ëspecially the escrima and aikidopeople seem to like it.
Capoeira is a beautiful art in many ways and it can make the lives of those who practise it very rich.

-Christian.

Tvebak
01-12-2001, 09:57 PM
Tieng Long: who is your teacher? and do you practise regional only?
I looked at some off your posts, and i feel that you should know that Escrima also uses the Ginga.
Actually i know one Escrima master who likes to train to Sao bento Grande and Maculele...

-Christian.

Tien Long
01-12-2001, 11:02 PM
My teacher isn't a Mestre yet, only a guy we can Professor Bayano, who was trained under the auspices of Mestre Caesar Carnerio, the bad guy from "Only the Strong." Prof tries to teach us both regional and angola stlyes, though those who have been training a bit more go Angola.

sfhxcsf
01-12-2001, 11:09 PM
Ummm...if you watch the movie 'The Quest' with Jean Claude Van Damme, there's a guy from brazil which I'm almost certain is performing Capoeira. Also if you play the game tekken tag or tekken 3 (playstation and playstation 2) Eddy Gordo is suppose to be a take off on Capoeira. Just some useless trivia, other than that, the only other thing I know, is I believe break dancing originated from Capoeira. As far as I'm concerned it's quite noticeable that break dancing originated from it, I could very easily be wrong though.

Tvebak
01-13-2001, 11:46 AM
Tien long: ok, i think i will go and watch the movie again and look at your Mestre...
We do a lot of traditional Regional in my group right now, bimbas eight sequenses, cintura desprezada and really kickass in the roda, its great.
Do you practice the sequenses? a lot of schools dont, but they are really good.
how often do you guys have roda? we used to have one after each traning, but we share the place we train in with some karatepeople so we had to cut away the roda on monday...

-Christian.

"Capoeira is for men, women and children, those who dont learn it are those who dont want to."
-Mestre Pastinha.

Tien Long
01-13-2001, 03:32 PM
WE have roda every class, and usually takes up to 20-35 mins. I don't know what types of sequences you're talking about. There are several different combos that my Prof teaches, like benson, fake, amada, menalua, into a negativa ho-le, with maybe a menalua from as were ho-leing out. (Sorry, I don't exactly know how to spell these words.) Then there's the regular handstand push-ups, tons of ab work, plus stretching against the wall. Soon, we do partner work with each other, practicing skivas, evasion techniques, rasterias etc.

My mestre is not the guy in "Only The Strong." He is my mestre's mestre, who is also the Brazilian, Capoeria fighter in "The Quest." Really great match up between him and a monkey kung fu fighter in there.

Tvebak
01-13-2001, 09:00 PM
The cornerstone of bimbas regional is eight sequenses, if you ask your proffesor i am sure he knows them.
Otherwise you can buy Mestre Nestors "little Capoeria book" and find them in that.

-Christian.

magnus
01-14-2001, 02:17 AM
i remember reading that wesley snipes studied Capoeira. If you watch the movie blade theres a scene where you see him doing the ginga.

NyHc
02-04-2001, 07:42 AM
What's everyone's take on Capoeira?
I studied it for a very short time. But I'd have to say, in watching the teacher and higher ranks perform...I thought it seemed very impractical as a fighting art. Granted, it's safe to say any fighting art, when mastered properly, will be effective. But I just couldn't really see it.
Don't get me wrong. I do have respect for the art. It's very difficult, it has an interesting history. I'm also a precussionist-so i dig the drums, etc. I don't know.

Thoughts?

Also. Does anyone know which schools are good(possibly bad?) in NYC?

lowsweep
02-05-2001, 01:10 AM
If you want to learn how to fight you have a million better choices in the NYC area. Capoeria will teach strength, discipline, etc. The main reason I can see for taking capoeria is the balance and strength you will gain, and once you're fairly good you can really tear up the dance floor :D . Don't expect to learn to much practical self defense, though, for that you'd be much better off with Wing Chun or most of the CMA's if you can find a good teacher.

boards (shake head)
don't hit back

Tvebak
02-07-2001, 12:52 AM
Capoeira can be used for many thÃ*ngs, selfdefence is one of them.
But since the art has so many aspects it may not be the most effective.
What kind of capoeira do you practice? Traditional Regional for instance is a very effective system.
Also Who is your teacher?

NyHc
02-07-2001, 11:08 PM
This is the school I attended: http://www.capoeiranyc.com/

It was kind of a freak thing. I've been studying Kung Fu for the past two years.
But, my girlfriend at the time took Capoeira at this place and kept trying to get me to come and take a few classes.
So I went for a few weeks and wasn't 100% sold on it (at least in comparison with Chinese MA's).

I was just interested in other people's thoughts.

Tvebak
02-08-2001, 11:41 AM
I Think that Mestre Accordeon Teaches in NY, if he does go check him out.
He is really great in my wiew.

8 Sweaty Palms
02-13-2001, 04:22 PM
http://www.fitnessheaven.com/fitness/martial_arts/79,28030.asp

NyHc
02-24-2001, 07:19 PM
Oh, trust me, I'm not looking for a school. I was already taking Kung Fu while I attended this school. Capoeira just didn't do anything for me.
CMA's are far superior in my book :)

Tvebak
02-24-2001, 08:31 PM
To each his own, but seing a master of any dicipline will always have an effect on you (on me anyways).
Good luck with your training.

NyHc
02-26-2001, 06:25 AM
I'm sorry, do you study Capoeira?
That comment about CMA's being superior was in poor taste and I apologize. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone on this forum.

If Capoeira looked "different"(better word) to me, I'm sure it's just because I didn't understand it fully.

My deepest apologies to anyone who studies Capoeira!

Tvebak
02-26-2001, 11:38 AM
Yes i study capoeira, have done so for a bit over 6 years, so im just a beginner.
And no need to apoligice, you just gave you honest opinion, nothing wrong with that.
One of the great things about Capoeira is that many people think its not dangerous, and that makes it twice as dangerous.
I have been practicing chinese MA for over 4 years and have a great respect for the styles i have tried, i still do Taichi&Hsingyi.
Here in denmark we actually have a Ninjitsuteacher and a Gungfuteacher who does Capoeira, both say that the art help each other.
I feel that this is true.

Kymus
03-20-2001, 06:27 PM
I plan on taking Capoeria sometime soon. Mainly because of the fact that since it's similar to break dancing, it will help tone my body. It also looks like it could be a ton of fun to do with some friends. I am interested in sparring someone who does Capoeria because it is so much different from the classical styles. That's why I like Ba Gua alot because of the fact that you walk circles around the opponent.

-Kymus

Tvebak
03-23-2001, 12:40 AM
My Taichiteacher have told me that bagua and capo have many things in common. He said that i someone could master both arts then that person would be able to attack from any angle.
I hope he starts teaching some bagua soon.

Insynergy
03-23-2001, 11:43 AM
I took my first capoeira class a few days ago. I don't doubt that an experienced player would be a dangerous opponent, but I am doing it for the fun of it really - and to try to develop some sense of rhythm :)
tell you what though, muscles are sore today that I didn't even know existed!! all the posterior muscles between my knees and middle back know they had a good workout. plus hip flexors

Tvebak
03-26-2001, 08:18 AM
Who is your teacher? i know some capoeiristas in australia, just wonderring if it snybody i know.
Good luck with your training, capoeira can be a MA but nobody said it has to be that for you, but it probably will be soner or later.

the running guy
07-03-2001, 02:04 AM
One of the strengths of capoeira is that the moves are very unorthodox. I used to play capoeira (until our instructor lost the lease to the school). Anyway, every time I was in the roda and one of the advanced students did an acrobatic technique I'd breifly think "Oh ****!" because I didn't even see it coming. Capoeira has a great deal of moves that will surprise an opponent, thus giving the capoeirista the advantage. Also, capoeira groundfighting (groundfighting not grappling) is incredibly effective, because it allows the capoeirista to throw fast kicks from the ground with a smaller risk of being swept

Budokan
07-22-2001, 07:17 PM
Personally, I don't think much of it, but what's important is that you may find it really works for you. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

K. Mark Hoover

jbmmaster
07-23-2001, 01:29 AM
I know most of everyone has heard of this Martial arts. What do you think of this art personally? I mean Im thinking about doing this art, some of the moves aquire alot of upper body strength to stand on the hands.

This Brazilian style is good in away because it confuses your opponent which gives you the advantage. Does anyone here do Capoiera?

ELFdisciple
07-30-2001, 03:01 PM
I am HIGHLY interested in this art, if anyone knows anything about it let me know please!

ELFdisciple

Lineage holder and direct disciple to the 37th Patriarch of Emperor's Long-Fist

Practitioner of:
Internal Iron Palm
Genki Ryu Do Karate
White Crane and Spirit Dragon SCA combat

Tvebak
07-30-2001, 03:30 PM
I Have practised capoeira for 6 years, so im still kind of a beginner but if you have some questions i would be happy to give my opinion on them.

joedoe
07-31-2001, 03:38 AM
Great to watch, and I can see the fighting movements in the dance. I don't know much more than that.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

ELFdisciple
07-31-2001, 02:49 PM
First thing, how in the world do you fight while doing handstands? Is that how most of the moves are done or is that just what the world sees due to media hype and things like that? What is the background/philosophy of the art, what motivates its moves? How effective is it compared to other arts? Other than just raw physical strength, what other things are needed to perform the art? Does it have locks? Does it hit vitals? If I don't have the flexibility to perform some of the moves, what then? Fighting has a beat, a tempo, learning that tempo and learning how to break that tempo is part of MA. I know this art looks like dancing and some even say that it was developed that way to hide its combat applications. So does this art teach that concept of a tempo and of breaking that tempo? Are there any people in the world who are considered the 'authorities' on the art? What keeps 'Billy Bad-a$$' from setting up a school and teaching something he claims is Capoiera? Do you have to have an instructor looking over you're shoulder every minute or can this art be taught at a distance?

Hmmm.... I guess thats it, I've got more questions but I can't think of them right now.

ELFdisciple

Practitioner of:
Internal Iron Palm
Genki Ryu Do Karate

Tvebak
07-31-2001, 05:08 PM
Please remember that im not a master or anything, and take my answers as an experienced students answars.Fighting while doing handstands? Many of the movements in capoeira are ritualised, including standing on the hands in many different ways, witch in african culture often is accosiated with "entering another world" by turning things upside down, besides this there are many powerful and effektive kicks and scissors done by balancing on one or two hands, some of them can be found in slightly different versions in other MA For instance Ahihara karate.
You are very right with the media hype, people like to se things like handstands and jumps very much, this is the showoff part of the art you most likely will see.
Im sorry but i have to go training now...i will continue when i get back.

Stranger
07-31-2001, 05:53 PM
Is all Capoeira Brazilian? What is Capoeira Angola? (Actually from Angola :confused: ) I have heard that some styles look completely unlike the high flying version we see on American TV. What is your experience with Capoeira infighting skills (ie headbutts, knees, stomping kicks, and elbow?) How developed are the hand strikes? Are there any weapons? Can the maestros still fight while cuffed in chains as the founders could?

Thanks for sharing your experience in this rare art.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Tvebak
08-01-2001, 12:01 AM
The Filosofi of capoeira is a vast subjekt, often it is called Malandragem, malicia or mandinga.
Its roots is in the oppresion of the slaves and the need they had to mask their aggression and through sabotage and assasination maybe win their freedom, allso a lot of the filosofi is about getting together and keeping up the spirit even though you are being oppressed.
Capoeira has been kept alive after the end of slavery by bandits and hustlers, their attitude is also to be found in both the moves and filosofi of capoeira.
I have a problem with understanding what you mean by what motivates the moves...sorry English is not my primary language, if you could explain a bit?
How effective is capoeira compared to other arts? Hmmm Capoeiristas devide their time between learning acrobatics,music,rituals,and fighting techniques, so a complete capoeirista may not have learned as much about fighting as other arts.I would never claim capoeira to be "the ultimate MA" i wouldent even rekomend people to learn it for selfdefence only, but in learning to be a fighter capoeira has a lot of things to offer, some i have not seen in any other arts.
You dont need so much fycical strength to do capoeira, what you need most of all is in your head, your ability to be creative,tricky and keep alert.
Capoeira locks...the art contains some moves that could be called locks, but in aplication they are meant to break joints, these moves go against the ankels,knees,wrists,elbows,shoulders,neck and back. In capoeira its consider wrong to hold on to the other player, so you only grap short enogh time to topple,throw,or bring him down. Of course this "rule" is only inside the Roda, and even there grappling and groundfighting happens sometime.
Hitting vitals...The attacks in capoeira have targets, some of them very harmfull even deadly so if thats what you mean by vitals then yes.
If you dont have the flexebility you will either get it by training or find another way to achieve the goal of the move by another move, or both.
Even though a capoeira class will follow the same tempo there is a heavy empfasis on changching the tempo and beat in all good capoeira schools, but during the game of capoira following the rythm of the music forces you to think more about your solutions and strategies of course if noone breaks the rythm the game may very fast become boring and pointless.
About Billy and his capoeira school, their may be some other teacher in the area who will test him, but basicly capoeira is about coming together, so when billys student go to a capoeira meeting and sees the real stuff he will have some questions to answer.
As in any other art, having someone expeirienced to help is a good thing, but ultimatly in a capoeira group, everyone should learn from each other.
If there is some of the things i have written you find not is enough, please tell me.

Tvebak
08-01-2001, 12:41 AM
Capoeira angola is the name used for people that follow a more traditional and ritualised method, there are many diffrent forms within this, some are very close to the ground, some not some are slowmotion, some are surprisingly fast.
And there are different games played by angolerios and played in diffrent ways.
Capoeira "styles" can be vary very much, some do a lot of acrobatics,or kicks,sweeps,throws,hand or headtechnique. Some is far more usefull for fighting than others, its all up to the teacher.
Capoeira has a vast array of infighting tools, of which the warious headbutts are the most famous, the ginga provides good blocks for the capoeirista and contains basis for hard punches and elbows. punches are often done with open hands also straightline or sweeping fingerattacks to the eyes or throat is very populair, especially in capoeira angola.
The same moves easely become hand chops.
The elbows are often used as an offensive defence to injure the opponents attacking hands or legs.
The knees are used in various diffrent ways,also some angoleiros use sranding on the opponents toes.
Small scraping sweeps,throws,scissors,and takedown are also used.
May capoeiristas also use straight kicks to the knees and the hips very well.
Some people think that capoeira contains no or little hand technique, they are very wrong, but some scholls of capoeira dont teach these things.
Almost all the handtechnique in capoeira is in the ginga, but if you tell it to beginners they forget the ginga and consentrate on the arms, and then its useless.
About weapons, traditional capoeira weapons would be knives and clubs, and there are many hidden things for them in the movements, especially in some angola schools, some schools stil play "santa maria" The knife game. Nany diffrent weapons was used by capoeiristas in old days, pointed umbrellas, razors,swords,shoes whith steel points,sticks, clubs, firearms and even a strange knife with an elastic band in it to be thrown and retrived.
Some techniques exist still in capoeira, frevo and maculele.
The story about the chained capoeirafighters is kind of silly, how would a slave work properly while wearing such chains?
I have seen some moves that supposedly should come from this, but i doubt it.
Sorry about the spelling, it got late.

Stranger
08-01-2001, 01:28 AM
Thanks. You wrote quite a bit, which I appreciate. It shows pride in your art and a willingness to share. Very cool of you indeed. :)

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Tvebak
08-01-2001, 10:12 AM
Sharing is what we are here for, i just wish i could show you some of the moves.

Daedalus
08-01-2001, 10:35 PM
If you are wanting to learn capoeira for reasons of general interest in the techniques, history, culture, and health aspects, then go for it. But if you are looking for a self defense system, I'm sad to say that capoeira isn't very practical.

I know some guys who have trained capoeira for more than 8 years. They are good. But they are just now getting to the point where they can adapt the intricate moves into practical self-defense strategies. And once they adapt the techniques for self-defense, it looks nothing like capoeira.

Don't get me wrong, capoeira is alot of fun, just don't expect to be able to hold your own in realistic combat with it, at least for awhile.

Tvebak
08-03-2001, 06:35 PM
What you write is very interresting, especially since you base your opinion on actual experience.
I would be interrested in knowing what form of capoeira your friends practice, i think they probably do some form of modern capoerira (atual,"Regional"). If they want to come into touch with some of the more fighting effiecient capoeira they should try to find someone who teach something close to the original Regional, that is very simple and efficient in my experience.
It also sounds to me as if they are attempting to apply some of the very advanced acrobatic moivements to fighting, this of course is very difficult compared to using some of the more easy movement, for instance, did they use mostly kicks or did they use varied attacks (kicks,punches,throws,sweeps,scissors etc).
As i have written earlyer i would not recomend people to take capoeira if they only want to learn selfdefence, capoeira is capoeira and should be practiced to learn capoeira.
I have trained with all other MA i have had the chance to, and had matches with many students from diffrent styles, many of them was surprised by the things that capoeira contains that seemed un-capoeira like for many of them.
Dont take this as an attack, but i belive that there are many things in capoeira that you and your freinds have never seen, i hope you will.

ELFdisciple
08-03-2001, 08:36 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses here. Now I have a much better understanding of this art, I am still very interested and I intend to one day start taking lessons. I'm a little busy now, but when the opportunity presents itself I will investigate further. If anyone wants to give me any more information I would be happy to learn it. I find this art to be so very interesting and unique! I like unique things!

ELFdisciple

Practitioner of:
Internal Iron Palm
Genki Ryu Do Karate

Kristoffer
08-05-2001, 06:38 PM

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

Son_Goku
08-10-2001, 05:50 AM
Is it anything like the character "Eddy Gordo" shows it out to be like in the PlayStation game "TEKKEN 3"?
And my friend and I are dieing to learn the form. Can anyone point us in the right direction for a dojo / kwoon /"place of training" ( what do you call a Capoeira place of training? )?
The both of us live in the Lindenhurst / Lake Villa area of Illionis, and we are, again, dieing to learn this great and somewhat mysterious martial art.
Thanks alot.

Fear.....Fear attracts the fearful.....The strong....the weak....the innocent....
Fear is my ally...

http://www.namcoarcade.com/tekken4/images/tk4_profile_hwoarang.jpg
http://www.namcoarcade.com/tekken4/images/tk4_concept_hwoarang.jpg
http://www.namcoarcade.com/tekken4/images/tk4_concept_fox.jpg

wu_de36
08-13-2001, 04:51 PM
You may or may not find this interesting:

http://www.alliancemartialarts.com/renegade.html

kwokfist
10-15-2001, 05:38 AM
Capoeira Article Confirmed... and Questions...

Today we had an Editors' meeting. For those who did not read my last post on the subject, I am the Arts and Media Editor of a local newspaper in Washington and I have decided to pursue an article on Capoeira.

Anyways, I am wondering if anyone knows any credible informational sites/pages on Capoeira.

Also, I am still wondering if anyone who has experience in Capoeira would like to have any of their pictures in action to be used in the article (you will get credit etc. etc. i will scan the page for you to see when it comes out etc. etc.)

Timely answers would be appreciated. My deadline for a skeleton draft is this Friday.

Kung Lek
10-15-2001, 06:12 AM
Go to my site, located in the link below my sig, go to the portal and check out the Capoiera Link which leads to the Capoirea page listed there, it's the only one I have but it is pretty good info.

Lot's of pics and listings of schools in the US and internationally.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Gigante
10-15-2001, 11:20 AM
http://www.planetcapoeira.com

Taoist Disciple
10-15-2001, 11:27 AM
fantastic site:

http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9650297/capoeira.html

Seek naturalness. Act without forcing.

apoweyn
10-15-2001, 02:14 PM
Hey Kwokfist,

No info to add. I just wanted to congratulate you. This is going to be great.

Stuart B.

DrunkenMonkey
10-15-2001, 11:46 PM
Good deal! I am sure you will produce a great article.

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

kwokfist
10-17-2001, 02:07 AM
same as above o_O.

I am planning to meet with a capoeira stylist this week, but i am still wondering if anyone here would be willing to contribute a picture of themselves performing an au batido, 540, sweep or outer crescent or something of the like that has even the faintest hint of capoeira.

you will get credit.

apoweyn
10-17-2001, 04:03 PM
Not my page, but you might try asking this guy:

http://members.aol.com/bill510/capoeira.html

Taoist Disciple
10-17-2001, 05:18 PM
I would do it for you, but I dont have web cam capability. There are diagrams and animations here though:

http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9650297/cap-basics.html

Seek naturalness. Act without forcing.

zen_celt
10-24-2001, 04:24 AM
Hello hello!
It is once again official booty shakin time at my school(this means the dance concert/recital is coming up). My dance teacher has asked me to come up with a different type of dance than the ones that most other performers are doing(hip hop, Britney Spears etc.) Now, I figured I'd put my experience in KF to work for me and try to teach myself capoeira from the oh so wonderful movie, "Only the Strong". Before I go outside and tear something, though, I would like to ask anyone here who has had experience with this art, how difficult it is to teach oneself( I would like to truly learn and not just for the concert). As much as I would like to sign up at an official school, I'm afriad I'm a bit poor and busy. So... anyone have an idea as to how difficult this might be?
-Z

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

Stranger
10-24-2001, 04:55 AM
Ask Tvebak. He hangs out a lot on the OTHER ARTS forum.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

grifter721
10-24-2001, 09:55 AM
Honestly Zen my bro did Cap for a while and he said it was hard to learn, keeping in mind he is already a good breakdancer.......
His Maestre said you have to PRACTICE one or two moves for the whole class. And the people who dont get it just dont get it!
If you can breakdance a lil you will be able to do it, but if you have no previous experience...there is no way you will be able to learn it.....
Kung fu wont help you on this one , you need A lot more coordination for this one.
But hey I might be wrong you may breakdance or take it up pretty easily so try it out! But my advice would be, I hope you have a lot of time for practice.

wooha
10-24-2001, 11:50 AM
You can teach yourself a few moves I'm sure. But you're never really going to experience the flavour, the music and the game of Capoeira unless you have a teacher and a group.

There's a lot more to it than dancing and doing flashy moves.

Shaolindynasty
10-24-2001, 05:16 PM
I think a teacher would help in this one, capoeria is so different from any other MA out there. Since your funds are limited you said you couldn't go to a school but at least get a better tape you can't get it from "Only the Strong"

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

FistOfTheNorthSide
10-27-2001, 03:26 PM
HAve any of you people fought a capoera person? I was watching some perform and I really want a chance to spar one. It was cool and fun to watch but they looked really open and it seemed to me that if you practice not actually conecting with your kicks so much it will be hard to hit when you need to. Any experiences?

Stranger
10-27-2001, 03:37 PM
As I understand it, some schools are flashy and performance oriented while others produce streamlined effective fighters. (just like kung fu :D ). There is more than one style of capoeira, so it would not be fair to judge them all based on one person's approach. I suggest if you have any questions about the diversity of capoeira and what is out there, post on the "Other Arts" board ATT: TVEBAK. He is familiar with more than one style of capoeira.

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

LeiWulong
10-27-2001, 07:30 PM
I personally have never fought someone else useing capoeira but I have sparred useing it myself. It's not that bad. It is a lot like drunken boxing, not in a technique sense but in theory they are quite simillar. they both rely on unpredictable movments. So when fighting someone who use capoeira stay on your toes.
And yes there is more than one stle of capoeira, though I couldn't tell you thier names.

P.S.
It's a hell'uva goodtime using it though.

-Buddha's name be praised-
Lei

SevenStar
10-27-2001, 07:44 PM
not all capoeira is that way. I've heard of a style of capoeira that relies on a lot of in fighting and develops proficieny fighting in confined areas. I'll try to find the name of the style.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

DrunkenMonkey
10-27-2001, 10:46 PM
brazilian c.ock-beating?

Fingering young ****s will get your fingers achin' for real!

Stone Monkey
07-12-2002, 03:30 AM
My girlfriend is starting Capoeira soon -- anyone have any experience with it? I wonder about the practicality for fighting, but that's not really why she wants to do it (more into dance than kicking a$$).
Anyhow any insight would be appreciated...

Boffo
07-12-2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Stone Monkey
My girlfriend is starting Capoeira soon -- anyone have any experience with it? I wonder about the practicality for fighting, but that's not really why she wants to do it (more into dance than kicking a$$).

I got into a club, went for about a week, and then had to move far away! :(

What I saw looked fun, and look great. From a fighting perspective it didn't look to be that effective, but the people doing it were immensely fit, being strong and agile, and that never hurts in a scrap. Plus, I've ended fights before they began by doing something impressive.

Anyway, if I were you I would join. Think of it as an accessory to your martial arts training. And looking cool when you do Capoeira will impress the females faster than looking cool while doing most martial arts. Trust me...

SevenStar
07-19-2002, 05:14 PM
what style of capoeira is it?

Stone Monkey
07-19-2002, 05:35 PM
Not sure yet - she's going to see a roda this weekend...

Boffo
07-20-2002, 08:06 AM
I would love to take Capoeira again. My incredibly brief experience was incredibly fun. So anyone know of a place to learn it in the Washington, DC metropolitan area?

Stone Monkey
07-20-2002, 08:39 AM
Hey Boffo:
Found this info on the Planet Capoeira forum - not exactly comprehensive, but might be helpful:

Regional: Prof Abutre St. Stephen's Church 1525 Newton Street NW Washington DC 202-332-0396 Angola (Mestre Cobra Mansa) 6906 4th Street Washington, DC

Regional in DC: http://www.chicoteafricano.com

Angola in DC: http://www.capoeira-angola.org

"There is another angola school, which is in fact a satellite school of Mestre Nego Gato, which is run by one of Gato's students. I think the school is technically in MD, or is on the way to MD in DC on Georgia Avenue. Contact me at besouro@rocketmail.com if you need his info."
-jacaré

Boffo
07-21-2002, 09:27 AM
Thanks Stone Monkey!

Stone Monkey
07-21-2002, 07:38 PM
No problem -- let us know how it goes :cool: ...

ChinNa
07-25-2002, 05:11 PM
True...

Same goes to go to tournaments and impress the chicks...

but is martial arts to impress others?

i thought it was for your own good nobody else.

well good luck

a guy in school does capoeira, and he tells me CAPOEIRA # 1

i told him oh yeah, let's have a friendly match

basically because is a dance, it has a rythm, so he telegraphs his movements, i caught over & over nicely, :p

he can do crazy jumps but that's about it, he has no use of his hands.

Boffo
07-27-2002, 11:12 PM
but is martial arts to impress others?

i thought it was for your own good nobody else.

Martial arts to impress others? Sure! Why not? I do martial arts for fitness, fun, and to inflate my ego. I don't do it for self-defense anymore. I've realized I don't like to hurt people, and take steps to avoid getting into dangerous situations.

Years ago I did a very self-defense oriented style of martial art. I had a great time and it made me feel big and tough. Now I am older and could care less about my ability to beat people up. I know that the me of 10 years ago could wipe the floor of the me now. But the me of right now can do butterfly kicks and tornado kicks that impresses the heck out of my wife.

The wife might have a master's degree, but when she sees me do the impressive kicks and leaps and stuff, we often end up in the sack.

Yep. I am a simple man with simple needs. Or one might say an honest soul who knows himself quite well. :D

So for my reasons for doing martial arts, Capoeira rocks!

Stone Monkey
07-28-2002, 04:24 AM
I agree...
I'm certainly not arguing that Capoeira is the ultimate in efficient self-defence.
However with the undeniable skills of spacial awareness, confidence in confrontation and body coordination that it builds, and the fact that it's so cool and stylie...combined with the self-defence stuff I teach her anyway, I can't wait to watch her in the roda and learn something myself.

We've watched several local shows put on by the schools she's considering... they all have excellent skill and enthusiasm.

Wu-Xing
07-28-2002, 05:01 PM
Boffo, using MA to impress people? i find that sad.Also i dont think you know yourself so well. if you did you would see how insecure you are and thats why you need to impress others, so you feel worth somthing when they say how great you are.kind of like a dog looking for attention after it has brought back the frisbie.

ChinNa; i have had the same experience with capoeira "players". i say player because thats all ive ever seen them do, play.rythem,telegraphing, bad balance (yeah, ever see some of those kicks land? its aint the guy who got kicked that gets hurt, its the kicker falling on his @ss).a friend of mine teaches capoeira and i have gone to a few classes with him.great fun and a good laugh had by all but as for street effective? as for it being a MARTIAL art....no.why not try gymnastics, its about just as effective.on the up side though, it is alot of fun and creates a good brotherly atmoshpere.but then again so does paintballing.

Boffo
07-30-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Wu-Xing
Boffo, using MA to impress people? i find that sad.Also i dont think you know yourself so well. if you did you would see how insecure you are and thats why you need to impress others, so you feel worth somthing when they say how great you are.kind of like a dog looking for attention after it has brought back the frisbie.

Ouch! You harshed on me but good!

Am I insecure and looking for attention like a dog? Yeah, in the same way your favorite musician(s) look for the adulation of the fans when they perform. Or in the same way a painter or sculpter gets positive comments on his work. I love to do pretty techniques. I feel a need to do them when I'm alone and have the time and space to do them. I also feel a need to show off when I have an audience. Much like any other artist of any other venue.

How well do I know myself? I know that I don't like fighting but I love the effort of training and full contact sparring. I know that when I was young and angry I wanted to beat people up but that age and martial arts training erased those feelings. I know that I am pretty good at martial arts but lack the raw talent of others. I have also come to know that I am much better at performance martial arts (doing the pretty stuff) than I am at the fighting martial arts. Lastly, I know that my martial arts skills will never be a fraction of how good I am in my day job.

I think I know myself pretty well, thank you.

Wu-Xing
07-30-2002, 02:38 AM
"Am I insecure and looking for attention like a dog? Yeah, in the same way your favorite musician(s) look for the adulation of the fans when they perform. Or in the same way a painter or sculpter gets positive comments on his work. I love to do pretty techniques. I feel a need to do them when I'm alone and have the time and space to do them. I also feel a need to show off when I have an audience. Much like any other artist of any other venue.
"

showing off and performing are two very different things.a painter may get positive comments for his work but he didnt create the work to get those comments.

Boffo
07-30-2002, 04:09 AM
showing off and performing are two very different things.a painter may get positive comments for his work but he didnt create the work to get those comments.

Ummm.... doesn't that depend on the painter? Since when did you become the voice of the painting proffession?

And what is the difference between showing off and performing? I would say nothing except that in performing you actually set up the audience ahead of time.

Stone Monkey
07-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Should I be surprised that a "Capoeira" thread is turning out this way...?

Let me just say that my self-esteem is intact, as is my girlfriend's...! I was hoping for some interesting information - maybe some personal experiences training Capoeira, etc. to share with her. Oh well.

Maybe some of us are a little too old for the schoolyard-posturing so prevelent on this forum... :rolleyes:

Boffo - In my experience people who truly "know themselves" don't go around telling others that they DON'T know themselves...or that they're like dogs, etc. ;)

Boffo
07-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Stone Monkey
Boffo - In my experience people who truly "know themselves" don't go around telling others that they DON'T know themselves...or that they're like dogs, etc. ;)

Thanks Stone Monkey! Of course, I am "too insecure" to say out loud that sort of thing, even though it was what I was thinking as well. Anyway, I'll end the arguement right here and now by saying the following:

I am a shallow and petty person who does martial arts just to have fun, stay fit, and to show off pretty moves. Alas, I am not deep enough and am too petty to search for spirituality or improve my character through the method of learning how to beat people up. Also, I frankly do not have enough chi to make a living by running my own martial arts school. Lastly, I am obviously not moral enough and my martial arts skill is not good enough for me to be so high handed that I pass instant judgements on people whom I have never met.

Fortunately, my detractors seem to each have at least one of these noble qualities. May they each be praised for the deepness of their character, the power of their chi, and the quality of their ability pass instant judgements on people they do not know.

I feel honored to share these forums with such enlightened individuals. If only I could manage to write what I just wrote without the post just dripping with sarcasm then I too might one day be in a league of their quality.

Ka
08-03-2002, 12:41 AM
Boffo, In all truth I like your honesty.

Copoeira, that I have been exposed to is excellent for flexibilty,and acrobatic training.I sort of feel that it is trully up to the person to make his art work,so that's my comment on its self defence side.
That said the hard core boys I have met are fit flexible and can pull moves that make most dancers cringe.It has a social feel with the music and in general is good fun.

Boffo
08-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Ka
Boffo, In all truth I like your honesty.

Thanks Ka! I'm a big believer in being honest with one's self. I'm a lot happier training for the reasons I do now, and I make a point of not applying my reasons to others.

'To each his own!'

SevenStar
08-06-2002, 03:00 AM

ChinNa; i have had the same experience with capoeira "players". i say player because thats all ive ever seen them do, play.rythem,telegraphing, bad balance (yeah, ever see some of those kicks land? its aint the guy who got kicked that gets hurt, its the kicker falling on his @ss).a friend of mine teaches capoeira and i have gone to a few classes with him.great fun and a good laugh had by all but as for street effective? as for it being a MARTIAL art....no.why not try gymnastics, its about just as effective.on the up side though, it is alot of fun and creates a good brotherly atmoshpere.but then again so does paintballing.

sounds like you've never seen real capoeira applications - there is a lot of infighting in them - knees, elbows, headbutts, etc. there are take downs also.

Due to their agility, they would probably make good grapplers. check out this takedown:

http://us.share.geocities.com/jaykilgore/Takedown.mpg

Stone Monkey
08-06-2002, 02:11 PM
Thanks Seven Star - cool little clip! Just sent it to my girlfriend to check out.

I have to agree: many of the Capoeiristas I've met are carved out of stone - going to see several rodas in my area, we've seen quite a few "players" who would be formidable opponents. They tend to be in excellent shape, as opposed to many "twice-a-week TMA hobbyists".

Thanks for getting this post back on track guys (...glad I didn't mention that she's interested in Wushu too - someone will surely chime in to let me know how ineffective demo-Wushu is against...say...BJJ ;) )

tei chi anarchy
08-15-2002, 05:50 PM
I have a friend who knows capoeira, and man does it look cool! But on the self defense side, i don't think u wanna be doin head spins on concrete... I think it would be great for fun, and flexibility, but if your looking for an effective self defense martial arts, i wouldn't do it... I enjoy watching it though! Hope it helped, peace

swordsoul
08-16-2002, 08:28 PM
Hey guys

I don't know who wrote it, but someone really stressed the MARTIAL part of "martial arts" Well, this is a way to express the ART part of "martial arts"

Also, if this is so combat ineffective, does this mean it's an "illegitimate MA?" That it's immoral to perform martial art cuz it looks cool? What is Wushu then? Tai Chi competition?

Nobody (at least anymore) rips on Billy Banks for Tae Bo! So what about this? It has some martial value as well! But think of the origins of the art too, it's SUPPOSED to be just as much dance as martial art!

So anywho... IMO it's perfectly fine to learn an MA for the "butterfly kicks--(especially if it gets your wife in the sack! LMAO!)" but as long as you know what you're getting into and why... it's totally cool!

That being said, there's a few books I saw at Barnes and Noble, and please review Only the Strong, and The Tekken games for more Capoeira exposure, as this is the only exposure I have had!

love and unity
matt

RoosterTalons
08-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Holy crap! I wanted to learn that! Where do you guys live? :P

Kristoffer
08-27-2002, 04:11 AM
capoeira is the shiznit

Tvebak
09-05-2002, 01:36 PM
Capoeira may be considered a martial art, if practised for this, a dance, if practised for this or a ritual, show or a way to liberate yourself.
The best capoeira (i think) is a mixture of all these where people can find what suit them best, of course stille learning about all the aspects of the art is important.
I personally, have studied the art with a strong focus on the fight, yet i play the instruments, sing, dance and joke and take part in non-combative capoeira games...and enjoy it all.
Capoeira can be used for fighting and contains a lot of very effective strategies and techniques for thís, but if fighting is the only thing...then its not capoeira anymore.
I can defend myself using capoeira techniques, and i do so almost without thinking, but more important than this, capoeira has enriched my life in so many other ways.
I know i would not be where i am today if i had not done capoeira...i cant count the times where it helped me out.
Everyday i walk with the ginga in my steps.

SevenStar
09-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by tei chi anarchy
I have a friend who knows capoeira, and man does it look cool! But on the self defense side, i don't think u wanna be doin head spins on concrete... I think it would be great for fun, and flexibility, but if your looking for an effective self defense martial arts, i wouldn't do it... I enjoy watching it though! Hope it helped, peace

No offense, but if your friend couldn't fight with it, he wasn't trained properly.

Boffo
09-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
No offense, but if your friend couldn't fight with it, he wasn't trained properly.

I have to disagree here.

Some people will never be good fighters, no matter how hard they train or how pretty their moves. Fighting ability is a matter of temperament, strength, willpower, as well as martial arts training.

What martial arts does is give you useful skills to fight with, but if the knack isn't there, then you are just out of luck.

SevenStar
09-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Note that I didn't say "if he's not a good fighter, he wasn't trained properly". Regardless of your caliber, if you have had proper training, you know how to use your art for more than just headspins. you know the applications and are capable of applying them to some extent. Notice that he was not talking about his friend's ability. He was talking about the style his friend trained in. I know for a fact that capoeira can be used for fighting. If his friend hasn't learned how to use it for fighting, then like I said, he wasn't trained properly.

IronFist
05-13-2006, 10:16 PM
I heard this was Capoeira, but it looks similiar to a bunch of TKD kicking (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8145595176120914316&q=capoeira). There are some good head kick knockouts in there, tho.

And WTF at the guy doing the splits on the wall at 1:07.

edit - And notice how it's always the guy without the headgear who's getting kicked in the head?

CaptinPickAxe
05-13-2006, 10:41 PM
I won't be the resident pessimist today...

the word is mum

tug
05-13-2006, 11:03 PM
In my limited knowledge/opinion, it looks like a smattering of capoeira, TKD, JKD, Wushu, Parkour and breakdancing.

With all the connections shown, it certainly looks formidable.

Maybe gives a "hey now" to all the naysayers who don't believe kicks, or high kicks for that matter, can work in confrontation.

neilhytholt
05-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah, that's kindof an old vid. It seems to be effective for him, though, but it's not going to work against every fighter. Basically he's got the element of surprise here, right? They're not expecting those types of kicks.

Ben Gash
05-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Hmm, 7 minutes of footage and only 15 seconds of Capoeira. With the exception of 2 clips towards the end, all of the fight stuff is straight ITF Tae Kwon Do (which he does appear to be quite good at).

SanHeChuan
05-14-2006, 10:47 AM
It looks to me like he had enough athletic ability to watch some capeoria and mimic what he saw. I would be highly surprised if he was ever taught capeoria. He had a very limited number of capeoria techniques, mostly TKD type stuff.

Pork Chop
05-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Anybody else bugged by how he's always going for the knockout in Continuous & Point Sparring events? If he could do the same thing in full contact (knockdown karate, kickboxing, san shou, muay thai, mma.... anything) then maybe i'd be impressed. That silva guy that does capoeira in the cage is way more impressive.

decent acrobatics tho.

HearWa
05-15-2006, 04:51 AM
I'd kill to be as explosive as him, but really, it's a good thing no one in those competitions had any boxing skills. He wouldn't have gotten away with nearly as much as he did.

I usto use those lunging crosses all the time until I got smacked in the face almost every time I tried it.

Judge Pen
05-15-2006, 06:36 AM
It reminds me of. . . . . Gymkata!

Seriously, the guy is a physically gifted as they come. I'm envious of the athleticism and explosiveness he has and I'm sure that he has worked hard to get that way, but I'd be more impressed if he was doing a bit more than point sparring.

Ben Gash
05-15-2006, 07:16 AM
Now there's a film you don't hear of that often :cool:

Judge Pen
05-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Now there's a film you don't hear of that often :cool:

And there's a good reason for that. I remember watching that film when I was like, 10 years old, I remember thinking to myself, "This is stupid."

yutyeesam
05-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Looks like XMA. Totally envious of his video-game-like athletic ability. My guess is that he's going to quit martial arts in a few years. Once you've FELT you've mastered the games you want to play, you get bored.

SevenStar
05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
zero punching ability, but DAYUM he's got some athletic ability. As for his style, prolly TKD, but those hook kicks ARE in capoeira. It's called Queixada. the spinning hook or crescent kick is armada. meia lua de frente is a crescent kick.

And yeah, I echo what iron said - WTF was that split he did on the wall?

SevenStar
05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2070236979807491069&q=capoeira

there are like three take downs in this one. I saw a rasteira and two others.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-15-2006, 10:47 AM
new to me ... its ridicumous

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oKLeatgydXE&mode=related&search=

red5angel
12-15-2006, 11:33 AM
holy crap, samurai has some good body control!

The videos ok, I enjoy more watching people playing the game then just showing off. to me it's sort of like watching a guy hit a bag or shadow box, he might look good, but until you see him get in there then it's hard to say. Of course if you're capable of doing this sort of thing then chances are you're "good" at capoeira, but I'm a larger fan of the malicia of capoeira.

red5angel
12-15-2006, 11:36 AM
here's a good example of how the acrobatoics can mess up your game:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AOg3JvAjXJI&mode=related&search=

the guy in the dark shirt can do all sorts of flips and sort of hang out upside down, but a real capoeirista in my opinion can take a guy like this out quick. He's open almost the whole time and he's not really playing with the other person, he's sort of throwing a trick or two, then kicking in the direction of the other guy, then throwing some more tricks.

red5angel
12-15-2006, 11:42 AM
just to follow that up, here's a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdsyWv20mSk&mode=related&search=

these two guys are flying through the air but if you watch there's a lot of malicia and a lot of interaction.

GeneChing
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I always liked capoeira, but this vid tells me there's a lot more to it than I originally thought. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf_PTB8juc)

FuXnDajenariht
03-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I always liked capoeira, but this vid tells me there's a lot more to it than I originally thought. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf_PTB8juc)

i now see that capoeira is the greatest art ever. :D

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd1fgpkjPVo&mode=related&search=

you can see where several sweeps would be here, but the blatantly obvious takedown is at :38.

This is the miami branch of the same group that's in my city - nacao.

PangQuan
04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
how often do capoeria guys spar with contact?

just curious, i dont know much about the art.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 10:43 AM
this was posted by a capoeirista on fightauthority.com:

When we train we train against other capoeira styles. The funny thing is in capoeira we do a lot of takedowns so we learn to defend against it. We learn the sprawl against somebody shooting for our legs. We also use knees to the head. Against a seasoned fighter we would have to rely on our spontaneity to defend. The good thing is if we do go to the ground we can still strike.

Capoeira is real effective style wise against a stand up striking art. That is because the straight linear kicks like in MT are easy to counter attack. Capoeira uses a lot of leg sweeps. So style wise they match up pretty good. The only problem is the participants. If a MT guy is quicker than the capoeira then it could get ugly real fast

As far as countering locks I have not learned that from my mestre. I have been trying to get him to teach me some Judo but he hasn't had time. My mestre was a judo champion before he started capoeira. He used to teach judo in Brazil! I have met some capoeira mestres who teach joint locking to their students. I guess mestre Bimba taught them to his students too! So the answer to your question would be it depends on the teacher/mestre.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
taken from bigbearacademy.com:

Although Capoeira doesn't focus on destroying the person you play against, it is not rare to see a roda organized that allows sweeping or takedowns.

Although a person can technically trip their partner, capoeiristas often prefer to show the movement without completing it, enforcing their superiority in the roda.

If your opponent cannot dodge your slowest attack, there is no reason to use your fastest. Each attack that comes in gives you a chance to practice an avoidance technique.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 10:48 AM
how often do capoeria guys spar with contact?

just curious, i dont know much about the art.

in the roda they typically don't - it interrupts the flow of the game. If they do, from what I've seen, it's usually takedowns or clinching. However, outside of the roda, guys will spar with you - or at least the ones that I know of will.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 10:52 AM
while training of the art was banned, capoeira was associated most commonly with criminals and gangsters.... doesn't that sound similar to things heard about kung fu?

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 10:55 AM
from the discovery channel's website:

After slavery was abolished, these African slaves joined or formed criminal gangs in the cities of Brazil due to chronic unemployment of the time. Capoeira then became associated with criminal or anti-governmental activities and was banned in 1892.

Capoeira continued to be practiced underground until 1937, when Capoeira was demonstrated in front of the Brazilian president who then allowed the first Capoeira school to be opened. Capoeira has since been recognised as an official national sport, and its popularity spread around the world in the 1970s.

-------------------

Both styles employ feints and other forms of subterfuge, as well as extensive groundwork in the form of sweeps, kicks and even headbutts.

Black Jack II
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Plus there is the french chausson connection.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
golden arhat - the fight was a vale tudo in brazil in 1995. it was mastre hulk (capoeira) vs amaury bitetti (bjj). hulk knocked bitetti out in only 22 seconds.

Antonio "Garra" Santos (Capoeira) versus Jason Canals (Submission): Santos won after Canals dislocated his shoulder

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.axecapoeira.com/classes.php?placeID=1 - this school has vale tudo classes.

these are the english lyrics to the song about the hulk vs bitetti:

It was
It was in the moonlight
that I saw it happening
In a freefight with jiu-jitsu
the capoeirista won
It was
It was in the moonlight
that I saw it happening
the capoeirista won
He gave an armada, he gave a rasteira
a meia lua and a ponteira
Yet in the first round
the capoeirista won
Below the ring
Mestre Bimba was thrilled
playing his berimbau
while we sung
It was
It was in the moonlight
that I saw it happening
the capoeirista won

golden arhat
04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
still thats only like 2 fights right ?

consistency is the key word here

PangQuan
04-09-2007, 11:52 AM
golden arhat - the fight was a vale tudo in brazil in 1995. it was mastre hulk (capoeira) vs amaury bitetti (bjj). hulk knocked bitetti out in only 22 seconds.

Antonio "Garra" Santos (Capoeira) versus Jason Canals (Submission): Santos won after Canals dislocated his shoulder

wow nice, is there any footage of this or was it not recorded?

Pork Chop
04-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I believe Marco Ruas and those Luta Livre/Vale Tudo guys were all Capoeira trained, if they didn't come out of a Gracie school.

see also jean silva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZljCjwBteM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptgrYpuf8BI

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 12:02 PM
just read something else that said marco ruas is a high ranking capoeirista.

one of our purple belts, born and raised in brazil has his background in capoeira.

in UFC 4, one of the alternates was a capoeirista - he lost.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 12:03 PM
I believe Marco Ruas and those Luta Livre/Vale Tudo guys were all Capoeira trained, if they didn't come out of a Gracie school.

see also jean silva

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZljCjwBteM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptgrYpuf8BI

yup. gustavo machado is another one.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 12:05 PM
wow nice, is there any footage of this or was it not recorded?

I'm not sure about the 93 fight, but you can probably find that WVC fight somewhere.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqh6ZjAc1tY

this is footage of mestre hulk fighting. he's actually got a 5-4 record, 4-4 according to sherdog.

golden arhat
04-09-2007, 12:46 PM
i didnt see alot of capoeira techniques being landed

and this was in 95 ? whats with the whole black and white thing ??

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 01:23 PM
i didnt see alot of valetudo techniques being landed

and this was in 95 ? whats with the whole black and white thing ??

that's not the 1995 fight. he has fights listed between 95 and 2000

PangQuan
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqh6ZjAc1tY

this is footage of mestre hulk fighting. he's actually got a 5-4 record, 4-4 according to sherdog.

nice fights!

its good to see in action.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lysCnz4CxM&mode=related&search=

contact is made, several takedowns are shown.

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 02:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ScAtdqKEs&mode=related&search=

nice takedown at :32

SevenStar
04-09-2007, 03:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U8QvgeZJG0&mode=related&search=

nice takedowns and sweeps between mins 4 and 5.

I like the front kick to the face at 5:29 - I can see that as one of those 'Pwnd!' clips.

splinter
04-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Just noticed this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qLMWAjeANc&mode=related&search=

GeneChing
04-10-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm moving this to ORA and redirecting your attention to the true capoeira vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZljCjwBteM).

Meat Shake
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Out of the few capoeira cats I have sparred with, although none of them were exceptional fighters, they all moved quite well... It was like they all could have fought if they had studied something to supplement, but the lack of real contact made it hard... but they all definitely had very good, fluid, natural movement.

PangQuan
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm moving this to ORA and redirecting your attention to the true capoeira vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZljCjwBteM).

your the frackin man gene.

GeneChing
10-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I was just searching for a random one to post this:

Musical martial arts classes from Brazil catch on (http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Sports/Story/A1Story20101006-240936.html)
Wed, Oct 06, 2010
China Daily/Asia News Network

Martial arts are nothing new in China, but Brazil's capoeira (ca-po-ei-ra) is a recent introduction. The sport blends music, singing and dance to create an innovative form of self-defence.

Andre Cao, a former fitness instructor in charge of a capoeira program in Beijing, learned capoeira in Canada. Last year, he brought some practitioners to the capital, where they staged a show in Sanlitun.

"It was amazing. After the show, many people inquired about the sport and asked whether we had classes in China. That gave me the idea of starting the program," Cao says.

Capoeira has a rich history of about 500 years. Cao says African slaves invented it in Brazil during the colonial period. In order to rise up against their masters, they secretly developed a form of combat, adding singing and dancing to disguise it from their masters while they practiced. Eventually it became the national sport of Brazil.

There are two styles: capoeira Angola and capoeira regional.

The former, a traditional style of capoeira, is performed with slow and smooth motions, close to the ground.

Capoeira regional has more acrobatic moves and is faster and more aggressive. It is often seen during performances because the jumping and spinning are eye-catching.

Cao says many people appreciate capoeira for its beauty, but are intimidated because it looks difficult. People don't have to excel at the sport to benefit, Cao says.

"With practice, anyone can get there eventually," he says. Cao taught his 55-year-old mother for two weeks, after which she could do a side flip.

As a martial art, capoeira uses a ranking system that is expressed by the belts that are worn. The rankings are based on the colors of the Brazilian flag. The beginning level is student, followed by graduate, formed, then professor, and the top level is master.

"Ranking is not only based on the performance of that day. Each student's work in the classes and the efforts they make to overcome personal challenges are all taken into account," he says.

Capoeira is beginning to catch on in China. When he first started the program, Cao had six students, most of whom were his friends. Now there are 35 students. They have only one Brazilian teacher at the moment, but are looking to add another by the end of the year.

What really sets capoeira apart from other martial arts is the use of music.

There are five main percussion instruments: berimbau, pandeiro, atabaque, agogo, and reco-reco. Different styles of capoeira use different instruments.

Classes normally end with a circle, in which the instructor plays instruments and students sing and clap.

"Chinese people are shyer in class compared to people from other countries, especially for the first few classes. I try my best to get them involved," says the Brazilian coach named Tamandua.

He adds that it's helpful for students to have a basic understanding of the Portuguese language, like counting numbers from one to 10, which is often used in the singing.

"Capoeira is a fun workout, no matter how fit or unfit you are. It improves strength, flexibility and stamina," he says.

Yang Jiale was one of the first students to begin training late last year. Besides making new friends, Yang says he learned about Brazilian culture and picked up a little Portuguese.

"I learned self-defence skills and at the same time I am having so much fun," Yang says.

Cao has been promoting capoeira by offering free courses at 47 fitness centres in the country.

"Not only does capoeira improve your total well-being, it creates positive energy. I have a great belief that it will do well in China," Cao says.

Some day I should merge them all together.

GeneChing
06-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Good for Capoeira!

Brazilian music, martial arts focus of World Cup concert (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/brazilian-music-martial-arts-focus-world-cup-concert-article-1.1818672)
The Big Apple is getting the party started early ahead of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
BY Erik Ortiz
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, June 5, 2014, 4:06 PM

As the 2014 World Cup kicks off in Brazil this month, leave it to the Big Apple to get the party started on the right foot.

Along the Hudson waterfront on June 12 - the same day the soccer tournament and sports spectacle opens - Brookfield Place in lower Manhattan will host a high-octane concert of Brazilian music and martial art.

Musical troupe Nation Beat and capoeira experts from Raízes do Brasil Capoeira Brooklyn will help highlight the best of Brazil.

"There's a saying in Brazil: capoeira, samba and soccer all walk hand in hand," says Ana Costa, who runs Capoeira Brooklyn in Park Slope with Brazilian-born husband Andre (Mestre Foca) Costa.

About a dozen Capoeira Brooklyn members will perform maculelê, a type of warrior dance done to the rhythm of the drums, and then transition into a circular formation known as roda in Portuguese.

Costa said the capoeiristas and musicians will open up the circle to the audience so that they can see the dueling dancers kick, dodge and tumble in a playful type of martial art.

Capoeira, which traces its roots to African slaves in the 16th century, only became legalized in Brazil in the 1930s.

But it's finding a home in the U.S., along with the Brazilian musical style called maracatu, which blends northeast Brazilian folklorica and high-energy beats.

Nation Beat, which features Brazilian-born frontwoman Fabiana Masili, played Lincoln Center's outdoor festival last August. Founder Scott Kettner said non-Brazilian audiences are often hooked by the Gowanus-based band's driving sound.

"Most people get it right away," Kettner says. "When the grove is good and the music is good, at the end of the day, that's all that matters."

The Brazil World Cup Concert starts at 12:30 p.m. June 12 at Brookfield Place's Waterfront Plaza, 220 Vesey St.

GeneChing
04-14-2016, 10:24 AM
There's a vid on the site, but the first pic says it all...:rolleyes:

Yoga Meets Martial Arts for a Capoeira Workout That'll Get You Seriously Sweaty (http://www.shape.com/fitness/videos/yoga-meets-martial-arts-capoeira-workout-thatll-get-you-seriously-sweaty)
Just call it the "hot new yoga"
Jaclyn Emerick | Apr 12, 2016

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-102706096.jpg?itok=E29Dc_05

Take the stretch-and-strengthen powers of yoga, then turn up its burn with the fluid, dance-like movements of the Brazilian martial art Capoeira, and you get Yoga Brazil, a body-sculpting, fat-melting workout created by the celebrity fitness pro Brett Hoebel. As you flow through the poses in a perma-crouch, your muscles are constantly contracted, leaving you tighter, lighter—and quivering—once the routine is over.

It's a vinyasa sequence composed of six pairs of moves that fuse the best of both techniques. For the first pair, you'll start in a downward dog, then step into a low lunge (a Capoeira staple) and undulate from one side of the mat to the other. "This helps create your flow," Hoebel says. As each new combo is added, it's seamlessly tacked on to the previous pair—and then the circuit resets at downward dog all over again—until you've linked all six pairs together for one continuous, powerful flow. Then you'll repeat the process from the top, this time on the other side. "It's a true calorie-burning and booty-sculpting experience," he says.

Take your time on each set of exercises and try notto skip ahead or do them all at once. They're placed in this progression to help you build heat, finesse your form, and lose yourself a little in the rhythm. That, and to shape a sleeker, stronger, fiercer physique. (Want more? Try this 20-Minute Workout to Help You Get Fit, Get Toned, and Get On with Your Day.)

How it works: Start with pair 1. Then do pair 2. Next, do pair 1, then pair 2. Then do pair 3. After that, you'll combine them, doing pair 1, then 2, then 3. You'll repeat this process of introducing a new pair of moves and then combining all the pairs from the beginning until you've combined pairs 1 through 6.

Total Time: up to 30 minutes

You will need: Mat
1. Down Dog Into Low Lunge

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-downward-dog-102705677_L.jpg?itok=6C3HIKlO
A. Start on floor in plank on palms. Push hips up and back so that body forms an inverted V. Step left foot forward between hands, bending leg 90 degrees and lowering right knee toward floor.

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-low-lunge-102705678_L.jpg?itok=44h_MEaG
B. Lower torso toward left knee, and keeping left palm planted, bring right forearm in front of chin with elbow bent. Replant right palm and step left leg back to down dog. Complete reps, then switch sides and repeat.

Sets: 1 Reps: 8

2. Figure-Eight Block Into Side Sweep

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-figure-8-right-102705679_L.jpg?itok=ZXVidKOR
A. Stand with feet wide and toes turned out, elbows bent with hands near chin and palms facing each other. Bend left leg 90 degrees and lean torso over left thigh, swaying arms so that fingertips point toward left.

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-figure-8-left-102705680_L.jpg?itok=dMxzGFlU
B. Fluidly bend right knee, leaning torso over right thigh and arcing arms to right.

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-figure-8-right-102705679_L_0.jpg?itok=zH02ShtT
C. Without pausing, switch sides again.

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-side-sweep-102705681_L.jpg?itok=rVsqrhNy
D. Then straighten left leg and turn right toes out to face the back of mat as you bend right leg 90 degrees, planting right palm outside of foot, leaning torso over right thigh, and reaching left hand overhead toward the right. Complete reps then switch sides and repeat.

Sets: 1 Reps: 4 continued next post

GeneChing
04-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Continued because you want all of this Brazil Yoga goodness. Extra points to anyone who posts pix of themselves doing this.

3. Low Lunge Into Reverse Kicks

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-low-lunge-102705678_L_0.jpg?itok=4wmjqQRm
A. Start in low lunge with left leg forward.

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-reverse-kick-102705682_sm_L.jpg?itok=ZpXMCfXt
B. Then plant right palm and shift hips up and back, sweeping left leg high (but keeping hips square). Shift forward into a plank, then push hips up and back, lifting left leg. Alternate plank and reverse kick on your left side 3 more times (flexing through left heel), then lower leg into down dog. Switch sides and repeat.

Sets: 1 Reps: 1

4. Reverse Kick Into Half Handstand

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-reverse-kick-102705682_sm_L_0.jpg?itok=51ABd3kM
A. Start in plank on palms. Push hips up and reverse kick with left leg.

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-half-handstand-102705683_L.jpg?itok=H0MyXlKm
B. Bring left knee toward chest while bending right knee, look forward, and kick feet up, bending knees into a half handstand. Land in reverse kick with left leg up. Shift forward into plank. Complete reps then switch sides and repeat.

Sets: 1 Reps: 4

5. Low Lunge Into Push Kick

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-low-lunge-102705678_L_1.jpg?itok=Goyfdqfz
A. Start in low lunge with left foot forward.

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-push-kick-102705684_L.jpg?itok=92QJJ6C4
B. Push into left foot to stand on left leg, kicking right foot forward (flexing heel), leaning torso back slightly with left elbow bent and left forearm in front of face, and pressing right palm down. Return to low lunge. Complete reps then switch sides and repeat.

6. Twisting Escape Into Half-Moon Block

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-twisting-escape-102705685_L.jpg?itok=eaBR4o8D
A. Start in down dog, then step left foot forward into low lunge. Plant right palm to the inside of left foot; rotate left shoulder 90 degrees toward ceiling to turn body to left with left knee bent, left foot flat, and right leg straight so that hip is lifted and outer edge of right foot is on floor with toes pointed straight ahead (bend left elbow so that palm is open and facing forward).

http://images.shape.mdpcdn.com/sites/shape.com/files/styles/slide/public/yoga-brazil-half-moon-block-102705686_L.jpg?itok=E9CpCVv2
B. Rotate left shoulder another 90 degrees to rotate chest toward ceiling, planting left palm below left shoulder, bending right leg and flattening foot, and kicking left leg toward ceiling with foot flexed. Turn over right shoulder to come into plank position. Complete reps then switch sides and repeat.

GeneChing
09-18-2018, 07:55 AM
Haven't found the actual film yet.

Documentary showcases cultural heritage of capoeria and kung fu (http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201809/18/WS5ba0ae9ba31033b4f4656be6.html)
By Liu Xuan | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2018-09-18 15:51

http://img2.chinadaily.com.cn/images/201809/18/5ba0ae9ba31033b41c03f532.gif
Masters of capoeira and tai chi are "dancing" together. [Photo provided to China Daily]

What would happen when Chinese kung fu meets Brazilian martial art capoeira?

As a part of the Open Digital Library on Traditional Games, the documentary Capoeira meets Chinese Martial Arts was screened on Monday in Beijing and showed the sparks between the two traditional cultures.

The 10-minute film, co-produced by the embassy of Brazil and Flow Creative Content, in partnership with UNESCO and Tencent, presents the meeting of Brazilian capoeira masters with Chinese martial arts masters in Beijing and Hangzhou.

In the video, masters from both sides discuss how traditional cultures can thrive in modern society and still help people relate to others and understand themselves by exploring the differences and the similarities between their arts.

Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian martial art that combines elements of dance, acrobatics and music. It was developed in Brazil at the beginning of the 16th century. It is known for its quick and complex maneuvers, predominantly using power, speed, and leverage across a wide variety of kicks, spins, and other techniques.

Although originating in Africa, capoeira also is integrated into the cultural characteristics of indigenous Brazilians. Therefore, it is considered to be one of the most important local cultural symbols and national skills in Brazil. It was granted a special protected status as intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO in 2014.

The product is part of the Creation of an Open Digital Library on Traditional Games, a global project launched in 2015 by UNESCO with the support of Tencent, aiming to preserve and promote traditional and unique sports and games to safeguard living heritage, as well as pass it down to future generations.

In 2016, the project team went on a research visit to collect data and audio-visual materials, including valuable interviews with professional players and the communities, such as practitioners, trainers, and guardians of the knowledge of traditional Brazilian games.

As one of the most representative and unique traditional games of Brazil, capoeira also was documented into the digital library, so that people from all over the world can learn about it and how to practice it.

UNESCO United Nations Educational Scientific an : Short film “Capoeira meets Chinese Martial Arts” released in the framework of UNESCO’s global project “Creation of an Open Digital Library on Traditional Games” (https://www.marketscreener.com/news/UNESCO-United-Nations-Educational-Scientific-an-Short-film-ldquo-Capoeira-meets-Chinese-Martial-A--27273150/)
09/17/2018 | 02:53pm EDT

The short film 'Capoeira meets Chinese Martial Arts' officially released during the reception to celebrate the Brazilian National Day on September 17th. This 10-minute documentary, coproduced by the Embassy of Brazil and Flow Creative Content, in partnership with United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and Tencent, shows the meeting of Brazilian Capoeira masters with Chinese Martial Arts masters in Beijing and Hangzhou. By exploring the differences and similarities between their arts, these masters discuss on how traditional cultures can thrive in modern society and still help relate to others and understand ourselves.

The release took place in the context of 'Creation of an Open Digital Library on Traditional Games (ODLTG)', a global project launched in 2015 by UNESCO with the financial and technical support of Tencent. Building upon UNESCO's activities in promoting inclusive knowledge societies, creating an International Network on Traditional Sports and Games, and safeguarding and promoting intangible cultural heritage, amongst else, the project utilizes Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) to preserve and promote traditional and unique sports and games, in order to safeguard this living heritage and pass it down to future generations.

During the past four years, the project was carried out in six countries from four continents. Among the pilot countries is Brazil - rich in traditions and cultural heritage, including traditional games and sports. In 2016, the project team went on a research visit to collect data and audio-visual materials, including valuable interviews with professional players and the communities, who are practitioners, trainers, and guardians of the knowledge of traditional Brazilian games. As one of the most representative and unique traditional games of Brazil, Capoeira was also documented for the digital library, so that people from all over the world can learn about the game and learn how to practice it.

Traditional sports and games convey values of solidarity, fair-play, inclusion, and cultural awareness. Moreover, traditional sports and games reflect cultural diversity, and foster mutual understanding and tolerance among communities and nations, contributing to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

The value of the Open Digital Library on Traditional Games goes beyond the preservation aspect. It lies in the promotion of indigenous, traditional local knowledge for learning, development, and the Rapprochement of Cultures. This video is a perfect showcase of such endeavor. The initiative will certainly contribute to deepening the cultural and people-to-people exchange between China and Brazil.

THREADS
Traditional Mixers (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?55258-Traditional-Mixers)
Capoeira (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?282-Capoeira)

GeneChing
11-26-2018, 09:56 AM
Just in case you missed it...

Who was Mestre Bimba? Capoeira founder's 119th birthday celebrated with Google Doodle (https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/who-mestre-bimba-capoeira-founders-13630612)
The Brazilian capoeira expert was the youngest of 25 children and set up the first ever school to learn the Afro-Brazilian art
By Hayley Coyle
01:12, 23 NOV 2018

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article13630608.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_Mestre-Bimbas-119th-Birthday.jpg
Todays Google Doodle celebrates the popular dance form's creator (Image: GOOGLE)

A blend of martial arts, acrobatics, dance, and music, Capoeira has been practiced in Brazil for hundreds of years.

Today’s Doodle celebrates Manuel dos Reis Machado, or Mestre Bimba, the master who legitimised capoeira and founded the world’s first school to teach this "dance / fight" martial arts style.

Mestre Bimba was born in Salvador, the capital of Bahia, on this day in 1899 as the youngest of 25 children and son of a batuque champion, another Brazilian fighting game.

His parents named him Manuel dos Reis Machado, but everyone called him Bimba.

He worked various odd jobs – longshoreman, carpenter, and coal miner – before dedicating his life to his real passion of capoeira.

Developed by former slaves, capoeira was outlawed by the Brazilian government for many years and anyone caught practising it would be arrested, tortured and muitlated by police.

Therefore it was only practised in secret.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article13630611.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Children-attend-a-class-of-Brazilian-mar.jpg
The 'dance / fight' art form goes back hundreds of years (Image: AFP/Getty Images)

“In those days, when capoeira was spoken of, it was in whispers,” Bimba recalled. “Those who learned capoeira only thought about becoming criminals.”

Former slaves used Capoeira in unconventional ways - war lords and criminals used capoeiristas as hitmen and bodyguards.

As studying martial arts was forbidden by law, music was added to disguise the powerful fighting techniques as dance moves.

Developing his own style, known as capoeira regional, Mestre Bimba instituted a strict set of rules and a dress code.

In 1928 he was invited to demonstrate his style of capoeira for Getulio Vargas, then president of Brazil.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article13630676.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_BBC-chanel-ident-Capoeira-A-Brazilian-dance.jpg
Capoeira has been imported all over the world (Image: BBC)

“In those days, when capoeira was spoken of, it was in whispers,” Bimba recalled. “Those who learned capoeira only thought about becoming criminals.”

Former slaves used capoeira in unconventional ways - war lords and criminals used capoeiristas as hitmen and bodyguards.

As studying martial arts was forbidden by law, music was added to disguise the powerful fighting techniques as dance moves.

Developing his own style, known as capoeira regional, Mestre Bimba instituted a strict set of rules and a dress code.

In 1928 he was invited to demonstrate his style of capoeira for Getulio Vargas, then president of Brazil.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article13630613.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Mestre-Bimbas-119th-Birthday.jpg
Bimba would have been 119 today (Image: GOOGLE)

The President was so impressed that he gave Mestre Bimba the go-ahead to open the first capoeira school in his hometown of Salvador, giving this unique martial art a new sense of legitimacy.

Today capoeira is one of Brazil’s biggest exports. In the 1970s the “masters” of the art – or mestres – began to emigrate and teach it in other countries.

A big part of the art is being able to speak Portuguese so disciples make a big effort to learn the language.

The fighting and martial arts aspect of capoeira can be masked within the grace and beauty of the music and dance – but it is still there and experts can disguise vicious attacks as a friendly gesture.

In modern culture capoeira is featured in many films, video games and TV shows.

Even Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire has some capoeira scenes, as well as Meet the Fockers.

It inevitably features in many video games. Street Fighter has its own capoeirista called Elena and Pokemon Hilltop is partly based on the fighting style.

And in World of Warcraft the male troll racial dance animation includes movements based on capoeira.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article13630614.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Patrick-McMullan-Archives.jpg
Books about Mestre Bimba (Image: Getty Image)

Most recently young Syrian women from the Zaatari refugee camp in Jordan have made it into the finals of the “Girl Rising” challenge that involves capoeira.

The girls said that “capoeira brings out the bravery in everyone” and gives women the chance to enjoy more creative and free movement.

Experts have also said that capoeira can help heal trauma, release negative emotions and build bridges.

In terms of technique, capoeira is fast and versatile.

The style emphasises using the lower body to kick, sweep and take down and the upper body to assist those movements and occasionally attack as well.

The "ginga" move (back and forth) is the fundamental movement in capoeira, important both for attack and defense purposes.

It has two main objectives. One is to keep the capoeirista in a state of constant motion, preventing him or her from being a still and easy target.

The other, using also fakes and feints , is to mislead, fool, trick the opponent, leaving them open for an attack or a counter-attack.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article13630677.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_Black-Awareness-Day-in-Rio-de-Janeiro-Brazil-20-Nov-2018.jpg
Even though capoeira looks like dancing its actually a deadly martial art form (Image: Marcelo Sayao/EPA-EFE)

The defense is based on the principle of non-resistance, meaning avoiding and attack using evasive moves instead of blocking it.

Avoids are called "esquivas", which depend on the direction of the attack and intention of the defender, and can be done standing or with a hand leaning on the floor.

A series of rolls and acrobatics like cartwheels allows the capoeirista to quickly overcome a takedown or a loss of balance, and to position themselves around the aggressor in order to lay up for an attack.

It is this combination of attacks, defense and mobility that gives capoeira its perceived "fluidity" and choreography-like style.

In 2014 capoeira was recognized as Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO, which hailed it as one of the most expressive popular manifestations of the Brazilian culture.

Happy Birthday, Mestre Bimba!

Google Doodles

GeneChing
01-02-2019, 11:43 AM
The Physical and Spiritual Art of Capoeira (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/arts/dance/capoeira-permangolinha-cobra-mansa.html)
Our reporter and photographer went to Permangolinha, a three-day retreat where capoeira meets sustainable farming.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/16/arts/16capoeira-oak1/merlin_147597045_a398aa18-d66f-46f8-a9b0-2a1eada02397-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Mestre Lua Santana playing at Permangolinha, the three-day retreat run by Mestre Cobra Mansa.CreditCreditRose Marie Cromwell for The New York Times

Photographs and Video by Rose Marie Cromwell Reported by Seth Kugel
Dec. 13, 2018

VALENÇA, Brazil — The white-bearded, dreadlocked master and his bushy-haired student face off in an open-sided compound set amid cacao trees and coffee bushes.

The two are in constant motion, swinging back and forth in what is called the ginga — the fundamental movement of the Brazilian combat game capoeira. At times, the way they feint and kick, and roll under and over and around each other, looks like choreographed dance.

But then one side does something the other is not expecting, and it becomes clear that this is a game of strategy, not a planned dance. Mestre Cobra Mansa’s ginga transforms into the movement of a staggering drunk, then a marionette whose puppeteer has suddenly let the string go slack. Then he’s in a handstand. From there, a leg strikes out like a lightning bolt, stopping just short of hitting his opponent’s face.

The circle of men and women surrounding the combatants are engaged in a hypnotic call-and-response song about an encounter with a dangerous snake. It’s intoned to the beat of Afro-Brazilian drums and the twang of single-stringed gourd instruments called berimbaus.

“Valha-me deus, Senhor São Bento,” the circle intones in Portuguese, beseeching Saint Benedict for protection.

The participants — Brazilians mostly, but also Uruguayans, Russians, Ethiopians and Puerto Ricans — have come to the 80-acre property of Mestre Cobra Mansa (or, Master Tame Snake) on the outskirts of Valença, a small coastal city in Bahia, for a three-day retreat called Permangolinha. Its name (and its purpose) are a mash-up of the sustainable farming system known as permaculture and Capoeira Angola, the capoeira style that Mestre Cobra Mansa, 58, teaches.

The event also attracts masters friendly with Mestre Cobra Mansa, including Mestre Lua Santana, from the interior of the state; and Mestra Gegê, a rare female master who also teaches in Valença.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoeira-oak2/merlin_147598062_df072faf-946a-4a3a-9272-39bd1804f7f2-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Roberio Silva, 34, from Bahia, Brazil, at a daily capoeira practice.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoeira-oak3/merlin_147598149_c5f17a9d-b8b9-4ce0-bcab-0f6f77c3aadc-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Mestre Lua Santana moving an orchid to a new home by the river at Kilombo Tenondé.

Mestre Cobra Mansa, known to the government and few others as Cinezio Feliciano Peçanha, bought this property, now called Kilombo Tenondé, about 15 years ago and has transformed it from pasture to a permaculture practice, in which diverse crops are raised together in a setting that mirrors the interdependence of a forest.

To him, it’s a way of bringing mostly urban capoeira practitioners — he grew up in the poor outskirts of Rio de Janeiro — back to the land, from which much of capoeira tradition emerged.

The two practices are complementary. “In permaculture,” he said, “you interact with and care for the land. The culture of capoeira is to interact with and care for human beings. Permaculture doesn’t have the spiritual side — capoeira supplies that.”

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoeira-oak8/23capoeira-oak8-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Mestre Cobra Mansa.

A balance between beauty and efficiency

Capoeira developed out of the combat games that came to Brazil with African slaves. Couching their practice as dance, the slaves trained in capoeira as a form of resistance and self-defense. Even after Brazil abolished slavery in 1888, capoeira was viewed suspiciously by authorities and its practitioners often harassed or imprisoned.

The creation of Capoeira Regional in the 1930s, a more formalized practice that imitated aspects of Eastern martial arts, complete with ranks and competitions, is usually credited for bringing it out of the shadows. Capoeira Angola follows a more originalist bent, focusing on cultural and spiritual aspects — but not without an element of show.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/autossell/23capoeira-oak7/merlin_147597570_95f950be-beaa-4b66-91fc-940e08c517a8-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Mestre Lua and a workshop participant.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoeira-oak6/merlin_147596814_f9d9f542-2c1d-4574-89aa-e5d6f7e3a5ad-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Mestre Cobra Mansa at daily practice.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoeira-oak5/merlin_147596538_33185711-4596-47b2-bffd-5ef0d53c96b6-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Vegan meals are cooked in the communal kitchen at Kilombo Tenondé.

“I don’t want simply to hit someone,” Mestre Cobra Mansa said. “It’s a balance between beauty and efficiency.”

So is it a dance, a fight or a sport?

“If a guy uses a ‘stingray’s tail’ move and kills someone, are you going to write about in the arts section?” Mestre Cobra Mansa said. “No, but it’s art!”

Participants at Permangolinha, most of whom have practiced capoeira for years, are quick to note that its impact goes far beyond the physical game.

“It’s everything,” said Elena Kilina, a 30-year-old Russian living in São Paulo. “It’s music, it’s instruments, it’s another language, it’s a lifestyle, it’s a philosophy. Capoeira for me is an inevitable part of life.”

For Brazilians and other practitioners of African descent, capoeira can take on additional meaning. Like so much in the state of Bahia — music, cuisine, the syncretic religious practice known as candomblé, it is tied to Africa. Mestre Cobra Mansa named his property Kilombo Tenondé after the quilombos, communities founded by escaped slaves, that are entwined with capoeira as symbols of resistance.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/16/arts/16capoeira-oak4/merlin_147597645_122c9e89-4265-4042-ac51-92ab5f9a8a74-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Capoeira instruments at Kilombo Tenondé.

Ricardo René Díaz Ortiz, a 23-year-old on a Fulbright teaching fellowship in Brazil, calls capoeira “a tool for self-decolonization” the likes of which he had never come across in his native Puerto Rico. “To me capoeira becomes a way of connecting with an ancestry that was robbed from us.”

“It’s tied to our African roots,” said Florentine Santos Machado, a 19-year-old from Valença who started practicing capoeira when her family lived in her mother’s native Germany. “It goes well beyond being a sport, because it doesn’t just involve the body. That’s where we get the idea of capoeira being something bigger. You see the importance of being connected to it.”

continued next post

GeneChing
01-02-2019, 11:44 AM
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoeira-oak9/merlin_147598161_8a40001b-3f78-4aef-bb5a-f7997ef2dd99-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Permangolinha participants moving a log in the river.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/16/arts/16capoeira-oak10/16capoeira-oak10-superJumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Mestre Cobra Mansa.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoeira-oak11/merlin_147597345_6ba96087-003c-4a27-b8ff-52d08a19838b-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Herlen Ramos Santos, 39, in the Kilombo Tenondé garden.

Permangolinha’s two-dozen or so participants — the number ebbs and flows throughout the weekend — stay in simple bunk rooms or camp on the property. The main building has no restrooms; a large outhouse has water-free compost toilets and cold showers. Volunteers help cook hearty vegan meals mostly from what grows on the property, like butter collards for salad, and cupuaçu, a sourish, oblong cacao relative, for juice.

There are workshops on things like berimbau-making and maintaining an agro-forest. Adalicio Manuel de Jesus, whose family has farmed the area for three generations, showed a group how he grafts branches of high-yield cacao trees to strong-rooted, pest-resistant ones, raising productivity without using pesticides.

As rain pattered on the roof during a Saturday session, Mestre Cobra Mansa called for volunteers. “How many of you know the length of your leg?” he asked. Herlen Ramos Santos, a 39-year-old capoeirista stepped out. Mestre Cobra Mansa had him ginga in front of a chair, instructing him to kick out when thought he was exactly one leg’s length away. When he did, the middle of his calf came down on the top of the chair. His leg was considerably longer than he thought.

Mr. Ramos Santos will bring that lesson home to Ilheus, a colonial city down coast, where he teaches free capoeira lessons. “As you evolve, you have the obligation to teach others as well,” he said. “It’s fundamental in capoeira that you don’t keep everything you learn to yourself.”

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoiera-oak13/merlin_147596541_ea966bc4-3134-41c2-ab68-bc583162768a-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Two capoeristas playing at Kilombo Tenondé.

‘When he strikes your foot with his face’

Mestre Cobra Mansa also teaches malícia, which means “malice” but here refers to feints and trickery. He instructs his students to catch their opponents off guard, use their energy to your advantage. “The most beautiful move is not where you strike his face with your foot,” he tells them. “It’s when he strikes your foot with his face.”

The high points of the weekend are the formal circles, known as rodas, on Friday and Sunday.

“The roda is a ritual of confraternization,” Mr. Ramos Santos said. “Everyone together forms a whole, everyone becomes one. There’s no pre-established thought to what is going to happen — it’s the circle’s energy that conducts it, the musical energy.”

Every week, stay on top of the top-grossing Broadway shows, recent reviews, Critics’ Picks and more.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/16/arts/16capoiera-oak16/16capoiera-oak16-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Giuliano Santos Machado, 15, during a roda, or formal circle.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/16/arts/16capoiera-oak15/merlin_147597438_80647b24-e825-4b05-b8b8-de0fee87c68f-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
The healing mud of Kilombo Tenondé.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/23/arts/23capoiera-oak14/merlin_147597048_c7f6789d-1d0a-49bb-9f10-c813f72cb7bf-superJumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Fruit growing on the Kilombo Tenondé farm.

“Entering the roda, for some people, is very hard,” Ms. Kilina said. “Capoeira teaches you how to face yourself. How people respond, how they attack, what’s their reaction to your aggression shows you who the person is. If someone makes me angry, I will provoke. It reveals you completely.”

At the Friday night roda, students saw Mestre Cobra Mansa provoked. He was matched against his former student, Mestra Gegê (Maria Eugência Poggi e Araújuo), 45. The circle oohed as she landed a two-legged flying kick on him. He came at her furiously, and she hopped out of the roda, essentially conceding.

“Would you have stayed?” she asked later.

“Capoeira is about the postures we take toward life,” said Díaz Ortiz, the Fulbright fellow. “It’s about how we’re going to interact with the world. And that goes into permaculture or being vegetarian or what kind of job you have. How did you take the lessons you learned in the roda from the mestres, and use that to define your relationship to this society.”

Sebastian Rivero, a Uruaguian Permangolinha participant jumps into what participants referred to as “healing waters”, a small river that intersects the farm at Kilombo Tenondé.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/16/arts/16capoiera-oak17/16capoiera-oak17-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp
Sebastian Rivero, a Uruaguian Permangolinha participant jumps into what participants referred to as “healing waters”, a small river that intersects the farm at Kilombo Tenondé.

Produced by Alana Celii, Jolie Ruben and Rachel Saltz.

A version of this article appears in print on Dec. 15, 2018, on Page AR22 of the New York edition with the headline: Feint, Strike and Care for the Land.

So many beautiful photos. I was holding off because I knew it would take several minutes to post them all.

GeneChing
02-02-2021, 09:56 AM
Ishikawa student gains victory in world capoeira championship (https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/01/29/national/ishikawa-capoeira-champion/)
https://cdn-japantimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/np_file_65271.jpeg
Akari Tachi performs a capoeira move at Matto Junior High School in Hakusan, Ishikawa Prefecture. | CHUNICHI SHIMBUN
CHUNICHI SHIMBUN

Jan 29, 2021
Akari Tachi, a 13-year-old junior high school student from Ishikawa Prefecture, became the girls U-14 champion in the World Capoeira Federation’s U-18 online solo competition on Jan. 9.

“I hope to continue competing in capoeira and become infinitely cool,” said Tachi, a first-grade student at Matto Junior High School in the city of Hakusan.

Capoeira — dubbed the “beautiful martial art” because of its movements combining martial arts and dance — is said to have been developed by enslaved Africans in Brazil in the 16th century in an effort to secretly learn self-defense skills while appearing to be dancing.

Players practice a flow of movements in a circle formation, using the whole body, to the tune of music — such as songs and drum performances — while performing acrobatic motions such as kicks. Punching is prohibited.

Tachi, a member of Gueto Capoeira training gym in Kanazawa, began practicing capoeira when she was a first-grader in elementary school, influenced by her father, Toshihiko, 41, who also practices the martial art.

She said she was fascinated by the quick movements of capoeira when she first visited the gym. Tachi won the students’ national championship in 2017 and 2019.

“I’m attracted to capoeira because, compared with other martial arts, it has more freedom and many elements to enjoy,” she says.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the world championship that began in November was held with participants invited to send video clips of 45-second performances. Eight competitors from Japan, Russia and Portugal took part in the girls U-14 tournament, for 12 and 13-year-olds.

In the third and final round where two players compete, Tachi performed 15 movements including au sem mao — an aerial cartwheel performed without using hands — and au batido — a one-handed handstand doing a side kick with one leg while keeping the other leg straight in the air — to become the champion.

Surprisingly, at school, she doesn’t belong to any sports clubs but is a member of the tea ceremony club.

“I can learn ways to control my mind” through tea ceremonies, she said.

Tachi’s next goal is to master a double twist, a technique that involves twisting her body twice in the air.

This section features topics and issues from the Chubu region covered by the Chunichi Shimbun. The original article was published Jan. 20.

threads
Capoeira (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?5880-Capoeira)
Online-competitions (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71905-Online-competitions)

GeneChing
05-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Luxury Resorts Are Using Martial Arts to Highlight Local Cultures (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-27/luxury-resorts-are-using-martial-arts-to-highlight-local-cultures)
Plan a trip that's worth fighting for.
By Jennifer Flowers
May 26, 2021, 10:25 PM PDT
https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iQlGrJ5zKBZk/v1/1800x-1.jpg
Capoeira practice at the UXUA Casa Hotel & Spa in Trancoso, Brazil Source: UXUA

I’d spent three intense years training in jeet kune do—an expression of martial arts Bruce Lee developed—before finally making it to Leung Ting Gym in Hong Kong’s neon-lit Yau Ma Tei neighborhood. Among fruit and jade markets, a narrow staircase leads up to this living piece of history. It’s named for one of the last disciples of Grandmaster Ip Man, one of Lee’s most influential teachers, who helped popularize a 300-year-old kung fu style called wing chun.

Leung Ting Gym doesn’t normally allow visitors or drop-in students, so it’s a treat that my concierge at the Rosewood Hong Kong has brought me this far. Through a small window on a mustard-colored door, he and I watch in awe as three students perform the circular and linear hand motions of chi sau. Cantonese for “sticky hands,” it’s a calm, fluid way to diffuse the energy of an attacking opponent, a centuries-old lesson in grace under pressure.

Peering in, I think about wing chun’s founder, a Buddhist nun named Ng Mui from China’s legendary Shaolin Temple. Her fighting system tailored for smaller people has emboldened me as a 5-foot-2 Asian-American woman.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iReEIa_mhBiU/v1/1400x-1.jpg
Silat at One&Only Desaru Coast,Source: One&Only Resorts

When I started training, I thought it would just be something to practice at home. But as I learned at Leung Ting Gym, martial arts in their original context are a compelling portal into other cultures, each movement intertwined with heritage and philosophy. In France there’s savate, a 19th century kicking art that evolved from Parisian street fighting but has the elegance of ballet. The highly efficient krav maga used by the Israeli military was developed by Jews in 1930s Czechoslovakia to defend themselves against violence. Filipino martial arts is a beautiful but deadly practice that had to masquerade as a cultural dance after Spanish colonists banned it in the Philippines; now it’s recognized as a national treasure.

Several forward-thinking resorts today are harnessing the martial arts industry—which racks up an estimated $4 billion in the U.S. each year—as a way to meet travelers’ demands for authentic adventure experiences. An invitation into a master’s private world can feel like the kind of genuine insider hospitality that many travelers seek; it’s as culturally enriching as museums, theater, or food.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/ibAdicR7Hzbw/v1/1400x-1.jpg
UXUASource: UXUA
At the recently opened One&Only Desaru Coast, a resort on the tropical southern tip of Malaysia, guests can privately study the fundamentals of silat, a Southeast Asian fighting style practiced to the beat of single-headed kompang hand drums. The teacher is Muhammad Muiz, who holds the elusive master title with the country’s National Silat Federation. A 45-minute lesson costs $60 per person, the same as a private session with a tennis pro at the resort, but with the added dimension of showcasing Malaysian culture.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iDu0pM1Q7QBc/v1/400x-1.jpg
Kru Toom at Capella Bangkok Source: Capella Bangkok
In Thailand the eight-month-old Capella Bangkok provides a similar service. When the pandemic subsides, the resort will be the only place in the city to take a private lesson with former muay thai champion Parinya Kiatbusaba, better known as Kru Toom. For $145 she’ll teach you the secrets behind using shins, knees, elbows, and fists as “eight limbs” for fluid combat in the resort’s tree-shaded courtyard by the Chao Phraya River. With the help of a translator, she’ll also offer some historical context for muay thai, derived from centuries of tactics used in the ancient Siamese kingdom, and share her personal journey becoming one of the world’s few transgender boxers.

The UXUA Casa Hotel & Spa in Trancoso, Brazil, pays allegiance to capoeira, an acrobatic regional dance created by enslaved West Africans in the 16th century. The resort, co-founded by Bob Shevlin and Wilbert Das, ex-creative director of fashion label Diesel SpA, opened in 2009 with a capoeira program for underprivileged kids at a local school—many of whom now teach at an academy that raises money by offering $60-an-hour private lessons to guests.

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/ifMEDofftEd0/v1/1400x-1.jpg
While I watch the class at Leung Ting Gym, my concierge improvises in Cantonese, hoping to broker access on my behalf. Eventually the door opens. The space is so minuscule, only I can enter—and just for a few minutes. I take in the elegant Chinese calligraphy on the walls, the soft-spoken direction from the sifu, or teacher, and the shuffling of the students’ feet.

I fixate on the wooden mook jong practice dummy in the corner, a replica of which sits in my own school back in Brooklyn. It’s an emblem of a tradition that’s crossed many generations, and the sight of it here, thousands of miles from New York, reminds me that these students and I share a rare and refined language. I’ve never felt so at home.

threads
Leung-Ting-Wingtsun (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?54844-Leung-Ting-Wingtsun)
Muay-Thai (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?26700-Muay-Thai)
Capoeira (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?5880-Capoeira)
Silat (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?2737-Silat)

GeneChing
08-29-2022, 06:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkbU9iGwUQ

mickey
09-18-2022, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkbU9iGwUQ

Greetings,

African Americans have been looking at and participating in Capoeira for DECADES.

Civilian martial arts are dead in the water. Capoeira does not even begin to qualify as such, nowadays. To train this, given the sh!t we are still going through, is fukking, fukking, retarded.

mickey