PDA

View Full Version : How to train smart?

YouKnowWho
10-24-2010, 07:57 PM
In CMA we always talk about how to train hard. We don't talk much about how to train smart. Few smart training methods can be:

- train as usage.
- Change 1,2,3 into 1,2 and 1,2 into 1.

Could you help to add some more "smart training" methods into this list?

bawang
10-24-2010, 08:16 PM
a good smart training method is doing siu nim tao slowly for 3 hours

YouKnowWho
10-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Are you joking?

bawang
10-24-2010, 08:25 PM
i dont get what you mean by training smart. you can fight smart but i dont know how you lift weights and hit bags smart.

EarthDragon
10-24-2010, 08:28 PM
perhaps you mean effciently?

YouKnowWho
10-24-2010, 08:29 PM
lift weights smart.
train smart means to spend less time to obtain the best result.

If you want to train how to pick your opponent up, it's better for your to bear hug your throwing dummy, and then lift it off the ground than just doing bench press. Your stance, hands position, body posture, force execution are exactly as you will use in combat. You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone this way - build your strength and polish your skill at the same time.

EarthDragon
10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
so you mean realistic training? I agree with the dummy, we have one and its 110 lbs feels like 300 lbs dead weight and akward to lift.

bawang
10-24-2010, 08:34 PM
ok mang i think what u mean is functional training. excercise that train specific movements. i tink cable weights is better for training striking

MysteriousPower
10-24-2010, 09:54 PM
a good smart training method is doing siu nim tao slowly for 3 hours

You are on the right track, Bawang.

I would add to these to your lost of smart training:

1. Doing long hand forms 50 times a day to build iron brides to damage opponents, stamina, tiger ferociousness, hitting and grappling power, and finally fighting skill.

2. Short hand forms done quickly, with no tension, 50 times to develop the deadly speed the monks used to repel the Mongolians.

3. Then you need to do the internal forms to develop the breath(what the phuk does this mean since everyone huffs and puffs when fighting?), develop the organs, real internal powerz 34 times a day.

AND then spar if you have time but always return to the forms. You will be the next Bruce Leeroy in about 45 years.

SPJ
10-25-2010, 07:37 AM
time alloting and goal setting

these are 2 main things to arrange your training "smartly"

train what you will be doing

----

let me see, if you have only one hour everday, before JUDO or sc event coming up in a month

what will you being doing "smartly"?

----

ShaolinDan
10-25-2010, 07:40 AM
In CMA we always talk about how to train hard. We don't talk much about how to train smart. Few smart training methods can be:

- train as usage.
- Change 1,2,3 into 1,2 and 1,2 into 1.

Could you help to add some more "smart training" methods into this list?

Not sure what you mean by 1,2,3/1,2/1, increasing speed? changing rhythm?

Something I am working on to make my training 'smarter' is maintaining 'spirit' while I train. Keeping focused intention and energy in every technique. I find I slip into auto-pilot all the time without noticing. Minutes will go by before I realize my body is training, but my mind and spirit are somewhere else.

David Jamieson
10-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Be task specific in developing technique.

Be functional in approach to strength development.

Be mindful of the result based on the practice.

Be analyzing what you do at all times.

TenTigers
10-25-2010, 09:18 AM

If I understand correctly, he is speaking of what we refer to as closing the gaps.
Gaps in timing, gaps in angle, gaps in distance, gaps in follow-ups.
The difference between a lower level and a higher level practitioner is the higher level guy has fewer and smaller gaps. This was how my SPM teacher explained it to me, and it opened some doors.

TenTigers
10-25-2010, 09:19 AM
You are on the right track, Bawang.

I would add to these to your lost of smart training:

1. Doing long hand forms 50 times a day to build iron brides to damage opponents, stamina, tiger ferociousness, hitting and grappling power, and finally fighting skill.

2. Short hand forms done quickly, with no tension, 50 times to develop the deadly speed the monks used to repel the Mongolians.

3. Then you need to do the internal forms to develop the breath(what the phuk does this mean since everyone huffs and puffs when fighting?), develop the organs, real internal powerz 34 times a day.

AND then spar if you have time but always return to the forms. You will be the next Bruce Leeroy in about 45 years.
is this the way your were taught?

Violent Designs
10-25-2010, 09:46 AM
NOT OVERTRAINING.

to start

MightyB
10-25-2010, 09:51 AM
The biggest obstacle to good training that I find is that people lack in defining their goals. How can you measure a result as good or bad if you don't define what that result is supposed to be?

When you define the goal, the means usually present themselves. If you're still having problems, then you probably will need to define micro goals that when added together will result in achieving your overall goal.

----

For example-

In Judo, maybe you're having a problem with Uchi Mata. First things first, are you achieving the proper grip? If not, drill the grip. Then are you off balancing your opponent properly? If not, first set the proper grip (alive) and then drill the off balance and entering (alive). Now you need the finish - so, achieve the grip, disturb his balance and enter, then finish. Each part needs to be drilled and perfected before you move on. Now you have the Uchi Mata.

sanjuro_ronin
10-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Listen to your body, it will tell you what you need to stop from hurting yourself, and that is the first step- health.
Beyond that you need to be specific in your training and realistic in your life.
People with 9-5 jobs do not really have 9-5 jobs.
Myself I wake up every day at 5:30 AM and go to bed no earlier than 10:30 PM, because of that I do NOT get enough sleep for a decent recovery from excessive training and a such, I have learned that I need to tailor my workouts to the point where I can progress AND recover.
My MA workouts are No longer than 60 min, but they are non-stop 6 minutes ( baring the 30 sec rest between rounds when I do bag/pad work).
Sometimes I only have 40 min or 30 min and in that case, I UP the intensity BUT I do notice it the next couple of days.
I do Strength training ( ST ) on the days alternate to my MA and I make sure that never do MA on a day after my ST because it cuts into my recovery, so I have a "off-day" between ST and MA ( usually do either nothing or a very light MA workout).
I do my IP in the evening since it doesn't "hype me up" like a typical workout will.

Adapting to OUR constant change in needs is what keeps us healthy and functional.

YouKnowWho
10-25-2010, 12:22 PM

It's better to combine 2 moves into 1 move, or 3 moves into 2 moves. For example, when you do a skip back leg and then kick the front leg, that will be 2 moves. You can make it as 1 move and that will become jumping kick. If you can land your foot at the right spot before you attack, you have hidden your preparation and that's smart training. In CMA, it's called "hide part of your next move in your previous move".

Frost
10-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Identify your weaknesses and your strengths, work on bringing up both but understand you will probably never make your weakness your strength, but you can make your strength a dominating factor

Understand your body, understand functional training is largely a myth and that the best ways to condition and strengthen for your sport is doing your sport, everything else is general training

ShaolinDan
10-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Cool. Thanks for clarifying that, YouKnowWho.