PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Wan Kam Leung's Wing Chun

Hardwork108
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I always find WKL's stuff very impressive and have heard good things about him through the grapewine, including a fact that is not so well known about him, but then better to live that to him to reveal publicly whenever he chooses.

This clip has some interesting things including his defense against weapon attacks. This video is in Chinese, so I hope the Chinese speakers here can tell us some of the relevant things that he is discussing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc4W87jAEsI&feature=related

imperialtaichi
10-24-2010, 11:48 PM
This is an old old video clip. He was talking about training the "G4", which is the Hong Kong police VIP protection unit. Apart from that, nothing too informative.

I've met WKL socially a number of times (although we always ended up talking Wing Chun). He is very skilled and a very decent person.

Cheers,
John

Hardwork108
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
This is an old old video clip. He was talking about training the "G4", which is the Hong Kong police VIP protection unit. Apart from that, nothing too informative.

I've met WKL socially a number of times (although we always ended up talking Wing Chun). He is very skilled and a very decent person.

Cheers,
John

Thanks for the info. Whenever I watch such interviews in Chinese, I wish that I could speak the language, but I am still young enough to add one more to my collection.

Just to add, one can really see his skill and power from watching some of his video clips.:)

LoneTiger108
10-25-2010, 06:53 AM
I've met him twice. Once in HK as part of a group who visited his school and once a year or so ago in London when he done a seminar.

One thing I noticed, and it's similar with other HK guys, he is a true character! He has his braces on all day long and his own interpretation of what WSL taught. At the seminar it was much easier to see his take on WCK, and it was refreshing to hear people say what they have changed for once, and why. Personally though, his approach is not the same as my own and he seemed wary of westerners who could speak a bit of cantonese. He had his trusted interpreters, but a very closed group imho.

From memory he has a 35 degree addiction with his shapes! In other words EVERYHING is a sickle hand and he NEVER straightens the arm joints. Very effective if you can maintain correct distance, which he too was very good at. He looked like a decent Chum Kiu player ;)

Hardwork108
10-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I've met him twice. Once in HK as part of a group who visited his school and once a year or so ago in London when he done a seminar.

One thing I noticed, and it's similar with other HK guys, he is a true character! He has his braces on all day long and his own interpretation of what WSL taught. At the seminar it was much easier to see his take on WCK, and it was refreshing to hear people say what they have changed for once, and why. Personally though, his approach is not the same as my own and he seemed wary of westerners who could speak a bit of cantonese. He had his trusted interpreters, but a very closed group imho.

From memory he has a 35 degree addiction with his shapes! In other words EVERYHING is a sickle hand and he NEVER straightens the arm joints. Very effective if you can maintain correct distance, which he too was very good at. He looked like a decent Chum Kiu player ;)

Did you touch hands with him, Chi Sao, etc. I just want to know if you felt his power and "heaviness", some of which I have heard through good authority, cannot be attributed to his WC background?

imperialtaichi
10-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Crossed hands with him a number of times (even in the lobby of a 5 star hotel ;-)). He had let me hit his body and strikes his throat. He had hit me in order to explain to me some of his methods. And I always jokingly " thank you Sifu Wan for bashing me" and he laughs. Tremendous power and ability to resist strikes.

He made a passing comment that changed my approach a lot: "don't just assume you can hit your opponent and he can't hit you back." that's why these days I place a lot of focus on conditioning and power.

Cheers,
John

Hardwork108
10-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Crossed hands with him a number of times (even in the lobby of a 5 star hotel ;-)). He had let me hit his body and strikes his throat. He had hit me in order to explain to me some of his methods. And I always jokingly " thank you Sifu Wan for bashing me" and he laughs. Tremendous power and ability to resist strikes.

He made a passing comment that changed my approach a lot: "don't just assume you can hit your opponent and he can't hit you back." that's why these days I place a lot of focus on conditioning and power.

Cheers,
John

Those are exactly some of the points I was looking for.:)

IF you meet him again ask him about how HE conditions his body.;)

imperialtaichi
10-25-2010, 10:14 PM
HW108, check your PM