PDA

View Full Version : "Traditional Sun Style Taijiquan" Book Review

Three Harmonies
10-25-2010, 10:00 AM
For those interested here is a short review of the excellent new text by Tim Cartmell on Sun Family Taijiquan. (http://threeharmonies.blogspot.com/2010/10/traditional-sun-style-taijiquan-course.html)

This is coupled with the forthcoming series of DVD's on Traditional Sun Taijiquan.

Cheers
JAB

bawang
10-25-2010, 05:06 PM
traditional sun style is an oxymoron

tiaji1983
10-25-2010, 07:48 PM
I guess Combat Sun Style, not wushu would be a better translation.

MysteriousPower
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
The book was a bit pricey for not being hard covered. Other than that the information is pretty good.

mooyingmantis
10-25-2010, 09:35 PM
traditional sun style is an oxymoron

Yeah, its less than one hundred years old.

Sun Lu Tang began studying Wu style TJQ in 1911. He started creating his own style in 1914. Then published his book on TJQ in 1921.

Imagine the response he would get if he were alive and on this forum today:

"Who are you to create your own style after only 3 years of study?"
"What??? It has no ground game?"
"Forms are a waste of time!"
"Where is the fa jing?"
"What fighters have you trained?"

Though in my opinion it is a interesting style to watch. Very different from the other branches of TJQ.

bawang
10-26-2010, 04:24 AM
after 1900 boxer rebellion the chinese martial art community is destroyed. after 1900 chinese martial arts remnants can no longer regulate themselves. the reputation system is gone and there is no way to test new martial arts. the relative age of a martial arts should be measured from year 1900.

then suddenly you find many of the "ancient traditional" kung fu have actually less than 50 years relative age.

the problem with all the offshoots of the yang family is they learned nothing. wu family wrestled and their tai chi app are copied from their wrestling. sun lutang did xingyi and all his tai chi apps are copied form his xingyi.

Three Harmonies
10-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Bawang
That shows the level of your understanding junior. Come visit sometime and either Tim or I will be happy to show the various applications that are not just Xing Yi.

JAB

bawang
10-26-2010, 08:52 AM
no pls im scare

Three Harmonies
10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Figured as much.

bawang
10-26-2010, 09:56 AM
if u can pay for airplane ticket i fly to you right now. im poar

dirtyrat
10-26-2010, 01:18 PM
The book was a bit pricey for not being hard covered. Other than that the information is pretty good.

Agree. It was a bit pricey, and there was quite a bit of typo's. Other than that I feel overall it was pretty good.

MysteriousPower
10-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Agree. It was a bit pricey, and there was quite a bit of typo's. Other than that I feel overall it was pretty good.

I was trying to be nice but forget it.

The book is cheaply made. The pages are cheap paper. The cover bends too easily. And I am not sure who edited it but I found huge typos. IMO it should be priced down to half of the $40 atleast. Someone is making a huge profit. Regardless if the info is good.

dirtyrat
10-26-2010, 02:32 PM
I was trying to be nice but forget it.

The book is cheaply made. The pages are cheap paper. The cover bends too easily. And I am not sure who edited it but I found huge typos. IMO it should be priced down to half of the $40 atleast. Someone is making a huge profit. Regardless if the info is good.

lol! I was trying to be nice. I generally like Tim Cartmell's material, which is why I didn't bring up the book's construction. Not sure why I brought up the typos to begin with. Guess I must have picked up some of my wife's pet peeves.

Three Harmonies
10-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Well you guys are sure spoiled by some of the production out there. Please understand it is completely in the hands of the publisher (in this case McGraw Hill) for the format, editing, paper choice, size, and pricing.

Obviously none of you have been in college recently. The textbook companies of America are raping the students! And they have a monopoly! Assanine I agree, but it is what it is.

JAB

MysteriousPower
10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
lol! I was trying to be nice. I generally like Tim Cartmell's material, which is why I didn't bring up the book's construction. Not sure why I brought up the typos to begin with. Guess I must have picked up some of my wife's pet peeves.

I too generally enjoy Tim Cartmell's stuff but that has nothing to do with this. If anything gets spilled on the book's pages it will be instantly ruined.

Threeharmonies,
No one is blaming any of the authors.

dirtyrat
10-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Well you guys are sure spoiled by some of the production out there. Please understand it is completely in the hands of the publisher (in this case McGraw Hill) for the format, editing, paper choice, size, and pricing.

Obviously none of you have been in college recently. The textbook companies of America are raping the students! And they have a monopoly! Assanine I agree, but it is what it is.

JAB

Figured as much. Like I said though, overall it was pretty good. I'll try my best not to spill anything on it. :D

Three Harmonies
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I agree with all said. The paper is super thin, I prefer a heavier stock. The state of publishing is in a dismal place! Much of it is to blame on themselves, but in certain cases it looks bad for all involved unfortunately.

Oh, and I did not feel any "blame" was happening, I just wanted to make clear that many of the negative factors were out of the authors control.

Cheers
JAB