PDA

View Full Version : TWC at NYC Fight House ????

Phil Redmond
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Is there someone teaching TWC at the Fighthouse in Manhattan? If so who is it?

Sihing73
10-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi Phil,

Below is a link to their Class Schedule and you will see there are no Wing Chun classes listed. But, in the section titled Classes Include Wing Chun is listed as being offered, although it does not seem to be TWC. Also, a check of the events shows a few Wing Chun seminars having been done and scheduled to be done there.

http://www.fighthouse.com/classes.html
http://www.fighthouse.com/schedule.html

Sifu Chow teaches out of there so I will ask him if he knows of any other Wing Chun people teaching there as well. Of course being over 700 miles away puts a damper on my information :p.

Knifefighter
10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi Phil,

Below is a link to their Class Schedule and you will see there are no Wing Chun classes listed. But, in the section titled Classes Include Wing Chun is listed as being offered, although it does not seem to be TWC. Also, a check of the events shows a few Wing Chun seminars having been done and scheduled to be done there.

http://www.fighthouse.com/classes.html
http://www.fighthouse.com/schedule.html

Sifu Chow teaches out of there so I will ask him if he knows of any other Wing Chun people teaching there as well. Of course being over 700 miles away puts a damper on my information :p.

It says right their schedule:

"Private, Pretend, Theoretical, Non-fighting, Fantasy Ving Tsun classes with the one and only fake Sifu Kevin Gledhil'

Sihing73
10-27-2010, 09:51 PM
It says right their schedule:

"Private, Pretend, Theoretical, Non-fighting, Fantasy Ving Tsun classes with the one and only fake Sifu Kevin Gledhil'

Dale,

Please read more fully. My Sifu teaches out of there but is not listed so it is possible that there may be others as well.

Perhaps you should open a school and you could call it: Low level, lack of understanding of the basic concepts of Wing Chun, mediocre ring record with no real accomplishments in life but who likes to tell everyone how to do something he knows not how to do......................the Dale (Island Puppy) Frank AKA Butterknife Fighter; school of fantasy Martial Arts. :D

I am sure that, in your own mind at least, you are just as good as Kevin Gledhil.

I wonder have you ever met Kevin? Somehow I doubt it as your track record is that of one who speaks about things he has no real, firsthand knowledge of...............anything Wing Chun :p

goju
10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
ouch:D:eek::D

Phil Redmond
11-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey Dave, you asked if Dale had ever met Kevin. Well though I've never met him he's probably a really nice guy. Well, so is Dale. He just like messing with us WC people online when he gets bored. If you meet him in person he's cool. And since he messes with us it's cool to mess with him as well. ;)

Knifefighter
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I am sure that, in your own mind at least, you are just as good as Kevin Gledhil.

You mean Kevin "all theoretical talk, I'm going to finally post a clip showing evidence for my theoretical talk, but then never follow through because I know how incompetent that would make me look" Gledhil?

That guy?

m1k3
11-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey Phil, since were both devil dogs and we both had the bayonet training and pugel stick fights does that make us dog brothers as well? Our pack is just a littler bigger.

Sihing73
11-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Hey Phil, since were both devil dogs and we both had the bayonet training and pugel stick fights does that make us dog brothers as well? Our pack is just a littler bigger.

And more realisitic unless of course combat does not count :p

I am not a Devil Dog.............I passed the IQ test and went into the Army :D

Sihing73
11-02-2010, 02:33 PM
You mean Kevin "all theoretical talk, I'm going to finally post a clip showing evidence for my theoretical talk, but then never follow through because I know how incompetent that would make me look" Gledhil?

That guy?

Dale,

I have a feeling that no matter what was shown you woudl find fault with it. I'll bet Kevin, and many others here, could get jumped on the street by several knife or gun weilding thugs and get caught defending themselves on a Wal Mart security camera and win and you would still find some way of deriding the event. Most likely saying that Wing Chun does not fight like that for real :rolleyes:

Funny, you seem to put everyone down. FMA have unrealistic footwork and drills that don't work in real combat. Yet those same arts were good enough to beat back the Spanish and also be used in WWII against those carrying firearms. The Marines started wearing leather collars when facing those doing FMA and they even helped to inspire the .45 because they wanted more stopping power. Funny how those same arts are, by your standards, unrealistic.

Of course, what you teach people is just the opposite and street lethal................right??? Or maybe you just enjoy rolling around on the floor with other sweaty men while wearing tights :eek:

Graham H
11-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Dave, you asked if Dale had ever met Kevin. Well though I've never met him he's probably a really nice guy. Well, so is Dale. He just like messing with us WC people online when he gets bored. If you meet him in person he's cool. And since he messes with us it's cool to mess with him as well. ;)

Its a shame more people don't think like that Phil. After all this is only an internet forum and I expect everybody would get on.

Not sure about Knifefighter though. His obsession with Kevin is bordering on ****sexuality. :D

GH

Sihing73
11-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Hi Phil,

I'll bet Dale and I would get along fine if we met. But, I also like to mess with him since he is so knowledgable fo the real world and can put everyone else down. Even those who have fought for real in life and death encounters.

Sometimes I think Dale suffers from various mental complexes;

Always wanting to be the best but having to settle for being one of the rest. Even those citing his being a Dog Brother have to search to find him, he certainly did not make much of a splash in that pool either. ;)

Sihing73
11-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Not sure about Knifefighter though. His obsession with Kevin is bordering on ****sexuality. :D

GH

Goes to the rolling around with other sweaty men while wearing tights :D

Graham H
11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Goes to the rolling around with other sweaty men while wearing tights :D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D He's going to be angry.........hopefully!!!! :p

GH

Knifefighter
11-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Dale,

I have a feeling that no matter what was shown you woudl find fault with it. I'll bet Kevin, and many others here, could get jumped on the street by several knife or gun weilding thugs and get caught defending themselves on a Wal Mart security camera and win and you would still find some way of deriding the event. Most likely saying that Wing Chun does not fight like that for real :rolleyes:

I've always supported people who put up full contact clips. As matter of fact, I've often been the one here defending clips of WC guys who have been shown fighting full contact, while many of the WC people here are the ones saying "that's not real WC."

Kevin is the typical theoretical non-fighter who talks nothing but theory, but can provide no evidence for his theoretical ramblings, then says he will provide that evidence and then doesn't.

If he puts up the full contact clips, he'll get props from me as long as they look something like his theoretical ramblings.

Funny, you seem to put everyone down. FMA have unrealistic footwork and drills that don't work in real combat. Yet those same arts were good enough to beat back the Spanish and also be used in WWII against those carrying firearms. The Marines started wearing leather collars when facing those doing FMA and they even helped to inspire the .45 because they wanted more stopping power. Funny how those same arts are, by your standards, unrealistic.

The simple FMA sword techniques that were used to actually fight for real in the WWII are a far cry from the water-down, theoretical techniques taught today in the US.

Of course, what you teach people is just the opposite and street lethal................right??? Or maybe you just enjoy rolling around on the floor with other sweaty men while wearing tights :eek:

Unfortunately, reality dictates that grappling often comes into the equation.

jesper
11-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Usually the bigger swings and flowery stuff people put into armed combat the more distant it is from real fighting. Well general rule of thumb

Sihing73
11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
I've always supported people who put up full contact clips. If he puts up the full contact clips, he'll get props from me as long as they look something like his theoretical ramblings.

The simple FMA sword techniques that were used to actually fight for real in the WWII are a far cry from the water-down, theoretical techniques taught today in the US.

Unfortunately, reality dictates that grappling often comes into the equation.

Translation: As long as said clips show what YOU belive to be real then you will support them. However, whether they work or not, if they do not fall into your POV you will say they are "unrealistic".

I trained PT so I think simple is still in practice. Perhaps your experience with FMA is just as shallow as your experience in WC ;)

Maybe I've been lucky but the majority of my real life encounters did not end up on the ground. A few did, but nowhere near the high percentages often claimed.

Knifefighter
11-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Translation: As long as said clips show what YOU belive to be real then you will support them. However, whether they work or not, if they do not fall into your POV you will say they are "unrealistic".

It's not too hard to figure out when someone is going full contact or not.

I trained PT so I think simple is still in practice. Perhaps your experience with FMA is just as shallow as your experience in WC ;)

Dan Inosanto, Cacoy Canete, Leo Giron, Leo Gaje, Angel Cabales.

Who have you trained under?

Oh yeah, and please feel free to post some of your full contact FMA stuff to show its simplicity.

Maybe I've been lucky but the majority of my real life encounters did not end up on the ground. A few did, but nowhere near the high percentages often claimed.

That's great. You are a standup guy. I would hope you would be able to keep most of your real life encounters off the ground where you would probably get stomped.

m1k3
11-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Just to make things clear.

I LIKE rolling on the floor with sweaty men. I'm usually pretty sweaty myself. :eek:

It tends to focus the mind. You forget about all the BS stuff going on in your life and fully concentrate on the moment. If you don't bad things tend to happen.

Let's be honest. It doesn't get much better than that. :p

Sihing73
11-03-2010, 07:56 AM
It's not too hard to figure out when someone is going full contact or not.

Dan Inosanto, Cacoy Canete, Leo Giron, Leo Gaje, Angel Cabales.

Who have you trained under?

Oh yeah, and please feel free to post some of your full contact FMA stuff to show its simplicity.

That's great. You are a standup guy. I would hope you would be able to keep most of your real life encounters off the ground where you would probably get stomped.

Dale,

I have trained under Leo Gaje as well as having a very close relationship with one of his most senior students in the US. I also trained under Rene Latosa and did some seminar training with Edgar Sulite. I found Leos system of Pekiti Tirsia to fit my individual approach best. I also thought PT blended better with how I do Wing Chun.

You are correct that if I were to go to the ground with an experienced grappler or ground fighter I would get my butt handed to me. While I do believe that it is always possible to end up on the ground I kind of take the attitude of Joe Lewis…………..better to spend time training your strengths than to split a limited amount of time among many different things. Not saying I can’t be taken down as I am sure I can be, just saying since I only have so much time to spare I would rather ramp up my stand-up. Also, I have said this many times over the years……you should train for what you are most likely to face as well as the environment you live in. You train differently if you live on a beach than if you lived in, say Alaska.

If we ever meet you have my permission to post any clips of us training together. ;)

Sihing73
11-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Just to make things clear.

I LIKE rolling on the floor with sweaty men. I'm usually pretty sweaty myself. :eek:

It tends to focus the mind. You forget about all the BS stuff going on in your life and fully concentrate on the moment. If you don't bad things tend to happen.

Let's be honest. It doesn't get much better than that. :p

I prefer to roll around with sweaty women myself...........but to each his own :D

Those who do arts like Judo and BJJ are usually in much better condition than most, the contact with the ground helps. Also it does help with the mind. I did Judo when I was a kid and was not all that bad. I did enjoy it and wished I had kept at it at times.

I got tricked into WC as I needed a partner for Judo and thought I did not need one for WC. Boy was I wrong :p

Phil Redmond
11-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Hell yeah . . .Oorah ! ! !

Sihing73
11-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Hell yeah . . .Oorah ! ! !

Phil,

Typical Marine can't even spell it right.........it's Hooah :D

This is from WIKI:
There are several potential sources from which the word "oorah" originated.

The 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Company, FMFPAC can be credited with the introduction of "Ooh-rah!" into the Marine Corps in 1953, shortly after the Korean War[citation needed]. Recon Marines served aboard the USS Perch (ASSP-313), a WWII-era diesel submarine retrofitted to carry Navy UDT and Recon Marines. Whenever the boat was to dive, the 1MC (PA system) would announce "DIVE! DIVE!", followed by the sound of the diving klaxon: "AARUGHA!"

In 1953 or 1954, while on a conditioning run, former Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps John R. Massaro, while serving as company Gunnery Sergeant of 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Battalion, simulated the "Dive" horn sound "AARUGHA!" as part of the cadence. Legend has it, he took it with him when he went to serve as an instructor at the Drill Instructor school at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. He there passed it on to the Drill Instructor students and they, in turn, passed it on to their recruits where it eventually and naturally became a part of the Recon cadence, and thereafter infiltrated Recon Marine lexicon.[1] Over time, "AARUGHA!" morphed into the shorter, simpler "Oorah!" Today, the official Marine Corps Training Reference Manual on the history of Marine Recon is titled "AARUGHA!"

Other possible origins of "Oorah!" exist. One states that the term is derived from the Turkish language phrase "kill them all" translated as "öldürmek" or "hepsini öldürün", which was adopted as a Russian battlecry "Urrah!"[2]

m1k3
11-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Phil,

MARINE, Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential.

BTW, kill'em all works for me.

Oohrah!!!

Phil Redmond
11-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Phil,

When I here "Soldiers" say Hooah. I crack up. I know you guys want to be like us but Hooah sound so effeminate. :D

Sihing73
11-04-2010, 06:00 PM
When I here "Soldiers" say Hooah. I crack up. I know you guys want to be like us but Hooah sound so effeminate. :D

This from someone who travels with sailors :eek:

Plus the Marines aren't even a branch of the service they are a subdivision of the Navy :D

MARINE, Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential

Truer words were never spoken :p

Phil Redmond
11-04-2010, 06:07 PM
This from someone who travels with sailors :eek:

Plus the Marines aren't even a branch of the service they are a subdivision of the Navy :D

MARINE, Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential

Truer words were never spoken :p
Yep, the better half. Plus, we're the President's personal guard and can be called into action by the President without congressional approval. ;)

Sihing73
11-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Yep, the better half. Plus, we're the President's personal guard and can be called into action by the President without congressional approval. ;)

I seem to recall an Army detail serving as the Presidents Honor Guard :p

So the Marines are like the Navy Wives..........the Better Half ;)

Phil Redmond
11-04-2010, 06:50 PM
I seem to recall an Army detail serving as the Presidents Honor Guard :p
Who do you see guarding the President aside from the Secret Service. Who Guards U.S. Embassies? We ARE the President's own.

So the Marines are like the Navy Wives..........the Better Half ;)
Ok, good one . . . lol.
Did you know that a Marine can finish a tour of duty then transfer to the
Ain't Ready for Marines Yet without going through your basic training?
But if someone from another branch of service wants to join the Corps they are required to go through Marine Corp Boot Camp. ;)

Sihing73
11-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Who do you see guarding the President aside from the Secret Service. Who Guards U.S. Embassies? We ARE the President's own.

Ok, good one . . . lol.
Did you know that a Marine can finish a tour of duty then transfer to the
Ain't Ready for Marines Yet without going through your basic training?
But if someone from another branch of service wants to join the Corps they are required to go through Marine Corp Boot Camp. ;)

That's because the Marine Boot Camp has to drain ones intelligence before you can be deployed. It's common knowledge that Marines are incapable of thinking for themselves, even your comrade admits Intelligence is not needed..........not desireable ;)

Marines have to be good at something so I guess guarding the President is something. After all no need to think, just be able to get in the way of an attack :p

Listen Phil I want you to hear this so please put one hand over your ear, that way it will not go through the other end :D

How do you kill a squad of Marines? Throw sand against a brick wall and yell "Hit the Beach" :p

Wayfaring
11-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I heard the following from a retired Army 3-star at a Starbucks no less about 2 months ago.

"You can tell the difference in the branches of the military by their battle cry -
Army - Hooah
Marines - Ooraah
Air Force - Fore!!!

You can also tell the difference in intelligence between branches of the military by their terms for different things. For instance,

A bathroom
Army - Latrine
Navy/Marines - Head
Air Force - Powder Room

A helicopter
Army - Heli
Navy - Hilo
Marines - points and says ooh - ooh - ooh"

I on the other hand have no right to do anything other than to repeat the awesomeness!!!! And hope I got the terms right repeating them. Thanks for your service gentlemen!!!!

m1k3
11-05-2010, 04:12 AM
The one I heard is if you ask each branch of the service to secure a building

The Marines will destroy it.
The Army will set up a defensive perimeter.
The Navy will paint it.
The Air Force will lease it for 5 years.

:D

Gung Ho!

Phil Redmond
11-10-2010, 05:40 AM
The Corps was born in Tun's Tavern in Philadelphia on November 10, 1775
Semper Fidelis:
http://www.godaddy.com/holiday/usmc/usmc-2010.aspx?isc=gda1145

m1k3
11-10-2010, 06:32 AM
The Corps was born in Tun's Tavern in Philadelphia on November 10, 1775
Semper Fidelis:
http://www.godaddy.com/holiday/usmc/usmc-2010.aspx?isc=gda1145

I find it fitting that the Marine Corps was started in a tavern. I have visited the site of the original Tun's Tavern. Unfortunately all it is is a plaque on the street. (sigh)

Semper Fi!
Do or die!
Gung Ho!
Gung Ho!
Gung Ho!

Phil Redmond
11-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I find it fitting that the Marine Corps was started in a tavern. I have visited the site of the original Tun's Tavern. Unfortunately all it is is a plaque on the street. (sigh)

Semper Fi!
Do or die!
Gung Ho!
Gung Ho!
Gung Ho!

I've been "near" Tun Tavern. The actual site is in one of the lanes of I 95.

m1k3
11-11-2010, 06:35 AM
I've been "near" Tun Tavern. The actual site is in one of the lanes of I 95.

They have a plaque now on 2nd street I think. Its been a while since I worked downtown.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0911/united-states-marine-corps-death-marines-okami-demotivational-poster-1257875701.gif

Phil Redmond
11-11-2010, 09:20 AM
They have a plaque now on 2nd street I think. Its been a while since I worked downtown.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0911/united-states-marine-corps-death-marines-okami-demotivational-poster-1257875701.gif
I took some pics near the plaque when I moved back east in 2006. btw, I had to gank that image you posted. :D