PDA

View Full Version : Want to get back into it...my story.

Doktormartini
10-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey everyone! Let me start with my past story.

I'm 24. When I was much younger (middle school/junior high) I did martial arts and I loved it. It was just general martial arts no specific style. The teacher I had started teaching Brazillian Jiujitsu so I began to take that too. Eventually for whatever reason I stopped, but was still interested. During high school I would always read Kung Fu Magazine and I really enjoyed the articles and info it provided. However, that stopped sometime I don't know why.

During community college I took martial arts as an elective. It was Kuk Sool Wan which is a Korean style that kind of combines all Korean styles so it doesn't focus on one main thing like Taekwondo who's main focus is kicks. It was also really fun and I enjoyed working out. I quit that when I got my associates and since then I haven't been doing anything related to martial arts.

I recently watched the new Karate Kid movie (lol) and it greatly sparked my interest again. I subscribe to Kung Fu Magazine and I ordered a Tai Chi instructional vid from MartialArtsMart.com and watched it once...pretty cool!

Anyways, I do not exercise at all really but I started a little, like just doing pushups and some stretches when I get the time. I'm very health conscious as I've been vegan for almost 4 years and just recently went raw, but I feel hypocritical for being so into health but not doing any exercising (other than taking walks).

Questions:
1. A lot of martial artists start when they are really young. Is it too late for me to start? Will I still reap benefits?

2. Where I live, there really is no place I can go to learn kung fu, it's all stuff like taewkondo and karate which I do not want. Is learning from a video effective? Or at the very least, is it ok to use instructional videos for exercise or is getting taught from another person best?

3. What are some exercises I can do that do not take a lot of time but in time will reap benefits? Stuff to increase strength, flexibility, stamina...etc. I'm pretty skinny and I want to gain some muscle. I've always been skinny though, even when I ate like crap. Anyone know of any online vids that show how to do basic training techniques?

Thanks everyone!
Zàijiàn

Frost
10-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey everyone! Let me start with my past story.

I'm 24. When I was much younger (middle school/junior high) I did martial arts and I loved it. It was just general martial arts no specific style. The teacher I had started teaching Brazillian Jiujitsu so I began to take that too. Eventually for whatever reason I stopped, but was still interested. During high school I would always read Kung Fu Magazine and I really enjoyed the articles and info it provided. However, that stopped sometime I don't know why.

During community college I took martial arts as an elective. It was Kuk Sool Wan which is a Korean style that kind of combines all Korean styles so it doesn't focus on one main thing like Taekwondo who's main focus is kicks. It was also really fun and I enjoyed working out. I quit that when I got my associates and since then I haven't been doing anything related to martial arts.

I recently watched the new Karate Kid movie (lol) and it greatly sparked my interest again. I subscribe to Kung Fu Magazine and I ordered a Tai Chi instructional vid from MartialArtsMart.com and watched it once...pretty cool!

Anyways, I do not exercise at all really but I started a little, like just doing pushups and some stretches when I get the time. I'm very health conscious as I've been vegan for almost 4 years and just recently went raw, but I feel hypocritical for being so into health but not doing any exercising (other than taking walks).

Questions:
1. A lot of martial artists start when they are really young. Is it too late for me to start? Will I still reap benefits?

2. Where I live, there really is no place I can go to learn kung fu, it's all stuff like taewkondo and karate which I do not want. Is learning from a video effective? Or at the very least, is it ok to use instructional videos for exercise or is getting taught from another person best?

3. What are some exercises I can do that do not take a lot of time but in time will reap benefits? Stuff to increase strength, flexibility, stamina...etc. I'm pretty skinny and I want to gain some muscle. I've always been skinny though, even when I ate like crap. Anyone know of any online vids that show how to do basic training techniques?

Thanks everyone!
Zàijiàn
Hi :)
1) you can benefit from exercise at any age, you might not become a world champion but you will reap benefits so dont worry

2) nope sorry you need hands on training to become good or to become a fighter, but on the plus side following videos for exercise purposes is fine as long as you are sensible and start slowly

3) you are asking a big question, write down some realistic achievable goals and we might be able to help

bawang
10-26-2010, 03:47 PM
dont listen to him its too late for you to start learning kung fu now. go take karate its basically the same thing.

Oso
10-27-2010, 05:50 AM
lol, don't pay any attention to Bawang...he likes to joke.

what Frost said, plus:
the teacher is far more important than a style.
don't get hung up on a style. find the best teacher you can and learn whatever he's teaching...if he's good enough (and not saying he's got to have put people in the olympics or the UFC...just good at teaching what he's doing, there are hundreds of good teachers out there...sadly, there are 1000's of bad ones) then what he teaches will translate to what any other good teacher will teach you.

you do need to commit to a program/schedule...you'll not get very far just training 'whenever you have the time'.

you could list the available schools in your area...chances are someone here will have an opinion...

bawang
10-27-2010, 05:51 AM
a vegan hippy who got interested in kung fu because of karate kid is not gonna help improve reputation of kung fu
kung fu needs zero teolerance policy

Oso
10-27-2010, 05:53 AM
lol...ok, define 'kung fu'.

donjitsu2
10-27-2010, 08:56 AM
a vegan hippy who got interested in kung fu because of karate kid is not gonna help improve reputation of kung fu

ROTFLMAO!

Doktormartini,

1. You can still see huge improvement in skill level and still get a lot of benefits from training. Just get back to it and stop worrying if you're too old.

2. Obviously having a teacher is the best option, but you can still learn quite a bit from videos and books. Cung Le and Wim Demeere both have a great series of videos and books on San Shou. I have both and they're great. Shou-Yu, Liang has a good book on Shuai Chiao and one on Xingyiquan. They're both good but you'll need an instructor to really grasp the Xinyiquan material.

3. As for strength training and conditioning - you'll get very far with nothing but Burpees, Snatches (with a dumbbell or kettlebell), pullups, and an "ab wheel". Dragondoor.com has some good material. You might be able to find it cheaper on Amazon though.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Josh Skinner

Chung Hu
10-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Hello everyone, I am new here but I do wish to contribute to the discussion. It seems you have been given great advice so far so I will probably just be rehashing what has been said but I have been trying to post on this thread for two days now. :)

1] It is never too late, I have been doing various styles for the last 13 years and I started when I was one year younger than you are. There are always benifits to be had physically and mentally as long as you love the people/school you attend. If you love the process and don't worry to much about the outcome, you will always gain something.

2] Are you sure Kung Fu is what you wish to learn? Have you tried it before? Is it the only one you have tried? I have studied two different styles for years before I found the school I really wanted to be at. Sometimes it is simply trial and error to find what works for you. If you can definatly get into a good school but never stop using books and videos to learn more. My style now is Jeet Kune Do and I am always researching new things I wish to know to make me more effective. Nothing can replace a training partner but resource material is vital too.

3] As for exercises, if you are talking about just general ones that don't work a specific technique you can never go wrong with various push ups or sit ups/crunches. If you have a good strong core [abs] you will have better power, balance and mobility. Stretching, well if you mean legs, partner stretches are great where your partner sits on the floor with you and you spread yor legs open. They then put their feet on your ankles, you grab their arms/hands as they push your legs open and lean back to help you get a really good stretch. Back in my TKD days that one helped me get a 167 degree split. :)

I hope that helped and I didn't ramble on too much. I am looking forward to talking more with everyone here.

Doktormartini
10-27-2010, 06:21 PM
That's not how I got into it, it just rekindled my interest after being out of it for awhile.

This is the closest school by me offering Chinese martial arts. It's like 15 minutes from my house but they don't have a website and I don't know anyone who's ever gone there so don't know how good it is.
http://www.dexknows.com/business_profiles/shen_dao_temple_healing_arts-b131121

Dragonzbane76
10-28-2010, 03:59 AM
lol, don't pay any attention to Bawang...he likes to joke.

haha thing is he probably wasn't joking. He wishes all the westerners would stop doing Kung fu. :)

Oso
10-28-2010, 04:03 AM
That's not how I got into it, it just rekindled my interest after being out of it for awhile.

This is the closest school by me offering Chinese martial arts. It's like 15 minutes from my house but they don't have a website and I don't know anyone who's ever gone there so don't know how good it is.
http://www.dexknows.com/business_profiles/shen_dao_temple_healing_arts-b131121

hard to say but he seems more interested in 'healing' than anything.
you probably need to at least determine the direction you want to go first.
go watch a class and see.
if anyone doesn't let you watch a class then don't bother.

Oso
10-28-2010, 04:06 AM
haha thing is he probably wasn't joking. He wishes all the westerners would stop doing Kung fu. :)

well, maybe...but, bawang is probably just one of the regulars having fun.

Chung Hu
10-28-2010, 04:06 AM
:D Whats 15 minutes? If it works out that is a small price to pay. Go check it out and see what they offer, as far as atmosphere and how the students carry themselves. If you get a good feeling from them, try it, remember ...trial and error.

Lucas
10-29-2010, 10:32 AM
i will add:

if you are not finding a school to train at, you can first focus on getting into good physical condition. you may consider hiring a trainer if you cannot develop a well rounded program for your personal fitness. after a bit of time with a trainer, you will have the knowledge you need to continue on your own. as long as you can self motivate.

in addition to what you would learn from a trainer at a gym, you will want a complete stretching routine. you can get this from various sources for free on line. or learn yoga. yoga flexibility crosses over to martial arts very well. however if you find a MA school to train at, there will (better be) be a complete program to draw from.

again as someone mentioned, style isnt so important, its really not. find a good teacher that will help you work toward YOUR goals in martial arts. we dont all train for the same reasons.

i am not a vegan, but i am sure you can find a source on line for developing a healthy vegan diet that will help you build muscle if you want to increase your size.

i would go to that school and check it out if i were you, cant hurt. post your experience here, we can help you determine if there are any 'warning' signs to be wary of, if you dont feel you can determine for yourself if the school is 'legit'

bawang
10-29-2010, 07:11 PM
hey man its not too late to train kung fu until your 30s. then your body breaks down and you prolly get injured.

as long as you dont join a scam or a cult, and train hard, you can get to great shape in less than 5 months. it doesnt take long, but you need to train hard every day

Drake
10-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Buying Chinese Culture is like buying cheese at the supermarket. Cheap, easy, and only slightly dirty.

YouKnowWho
10-30-2010, 05:12 PM
3. What are some exercises I can do that do not take a lot of time but in time will reap benefits?
You need to find a training partner. MA can not be trained "solo". Put on your boxing gloves with your partner. Try to spar 4 times a week, 2 hours a session. You will develop something in 8 months.

Oso
10-31-2010, 09:13 AM
1. It’s never to late to start taking care of your self.

2&3 This is more common than you think. I have bought hundreds of videos over the years and always put them aside and never commit not saying you wouldn’t. I would say until you can find a school save your money on buying videos you tube expert village on basic exercise and styles you might be interested in and start there. I think the secrete is finding something a person well actually commit to not so much a name of a system. I never thought in a hundred of years I would ever do tai chi or yoga but after trying a few classes I’m hooked. That might be the same for you if you walked into that karate or tkd school.

well said.