PDA

View Full Version : Why Wasn't Capoeria Developed All Over the Americas?

Tien Long
02-09-2001, 03:28 PM
There were African slaves all over the Americas, in the United States and the Carribean. Why didn't these slaves develop their native fighting arts in these areas, and why was it only done in Brazil? Was it because the slaves from Brazil were from Angola? I tried to ask my Prof. but I couldn't understand what he was saying ONCE AGAIN, since he was talking in half portuguese and half english.

"Watch the skies, the DRAGON flies!"

Tvebak
02-10-2001, 10:41 PM
There are several different afroamerican MA, I personally have seen four besides Capoeira.
Most of them are relativly unknown.
I have some trouble remembering the names, but i will look them up for you when i get home.

rogue
02-11-2001, 09:02 PM
Most origin stories for any style are hooey. Even styles that have decent documentation on how and when they started (TKD for example) swerve off into lotus land on it's origins.

Many slaves were the unusable losers taken in battle by warring tribes. So there's a good chace that they weren't the creme of the crop warriors. Does capoeria exists at all in Africa?

Tvebak
02-12-2001, 10:49 PM
As far as i know its possible to trace at least four independent forms of MA(Two african, one pourtoguese and one indian) in Capoeira.
I have seen some capoeira-like elements in african dances, some which includede mock fighting.
I have heard that some Capoeira looks very much like Tae-Kyon.

Tvebak
02-14-2001, 09:32 PM
Do any of you know the name off the MA from Matinique? it looks a lot like Capoeira without so much acrobatics and with some other steps instead of the Ginga.
Allso Ã* have heard of a stickfightingsystem from Cuba, but i havent seen that.