PDA

View Full Version : BJJ vs. Kung Fu

Iron_Eagle_76
10-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Found this clip. What I want to discuss is not the match, which was one sided as he**ll for the BJJ guy, or cause another stupid mma/cma flame war.

Take a few minutes and read the comments posted by You Tubers concerning the fight. It will make you realize how "clueless" and downright ignorant most people are concerning martial arts and what they would have done (insert eye poke, testicle grab here). Pretty laughable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvF03K1-Ia4&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_rn-1r-7-HM

MasterKiller
10-28-2010, 12:31 PM
WoW, that Kung Fu guy had awesome ground skills!

oh........

hskwarrior
10-28-2010, 12:46 PM
IMO, if they would have kept it a stand up fight i wonder who would have won? too bad i didn't get to see the BJJ guys stand up game. but nice ground game. that is the reason why TCMA will lose to BJJ 9 x's out of ten.

David Jamieson
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM
IMO, if they would have kept it a stand up fight i wonder who would have won? too bad i didn't get to see the BJJ guys stand up game. but nice ground game. that is the reason why TCMA will lose to BJJ 9 x's out of ten.

bit mismatched for one thing, but it was quite clear that the guy with the chest protector didn't have much in the way of martial ability to begin with.

that other dude shot him and took him out pretty easy. Also, he looked like he had at least 20 pounds on the target wearer! lol

anyway, yeah, done to death.

Train for the ranges or die in the one you don't know.

Lokhopkuen
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Steroids for the win!;)

sanjuro_ronin
10-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Steroids for the win!;)

With proper technique, chi and fighting spirit, sizes and strength...
BBWWAAHHHHH !!!
Sorry, I couldn't even finish the sentence without laughing !!

Sad part is that the guy didn't even NEED his obvious size advantage, his technique was excellent.

SPJ
10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
kung fu is such a generic name

why not

bjj against shaolin

bjj against mantis

bjj against ba ji

bjj against tai chi

bjj agains shuai jiao

bjj against wing chun

bii against---

Lucas
10-28-2010, 01:12 PM
i would be interested to see a bjj black belt spar a top level shuai jiao fighter. just to see how well the bjj guy can do to take the shuai jiao guy off his feet.

also i want to see shuai jiao vs judo

hskwarrior
10-28-2010, 01:13 PM
you know...i watched it again hoping to find some gleem of hope for the kung fu guy. NOPE. he got what was coming. He focused on dancing around and posturing in his horse stance instead of bringing the fight to the BJJ fighter. He really was the sacrificial lamb here. he offered up himself on a silver platter and was SERVED.

we didn't see ONE punch from mr KUNG FU man. did you notice a little of the BRUCE LEE motion he was using?

wow......nice job mr kung fu man. :rolleyes:

Lucas
10-28-2010, 01:17 PM
if you find yourself in a room with a camera, you are kungfu vs a bjj guy. you are probably set up first of all, and you probably suck. ;) :p

thats what scouting is for

second, go berserk and try to hurt him as fast as you can, as soon as he ties you up you are done if you cant stay on your feet.

pateticorecords
10-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Found this clip. What I want to discuss is not the match, which was one sided as he**ll for the BJJ guy, or cause another stupid mma/cma flame war.

Take a few minutes and read the comments posted by You Tubers concerning the fight. It will make you realize how "clueless" and downright ignorant most people are concerning martial arts and what they would have done (insert eye poke, testicle grab here). Pretty laughable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvF03K1-Ia4&feature=rec-LGOUT-exp_rn-1r-7-HM

My son fights better than the KF guy... and he is 16, trained by me in MA )(plus some MMA guys I teach) and he is also a Roman Greco wrestler for his high school:D

goju
10-28-2010, 01:21 PM
no no lucas has in wrong you dont shower for a month and rub onions on you daily until your funk is so bad he doesnt want to take you down

then pow! kick him in the anus dim mak point:D

David Jamieson
10-28-2010, 01:28 PM
this is how to deal with everything, all ranges, any technique.
you do right and no can fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQYMRXGgnOg

hskwarrior
10-28-2010, 01:31 PM
this is how to deal with everything, all ranges, any technique.
you do right and no can fail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQYMRXGgnOg

OMFGROTFLMAO........i was laughing so hard at the last fight.....do you know i want to do that to so many of you forumers? LMAO......

thanks for that one david.

Syn7
10-28-2010, 07:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-30uo3vQUM&feature=related

Yum Cha
10-28-2010, 08:01 PM
just before the guy shoots, the other guy throws up two blocks that should have been punches. Probably wouldn't have made a difference though, judging from his technique.

After that, he had nothing, didn't even try to get the captured leg between the other guys, which is as basic as it gets.

It just got text book from there, side, mount, grab the deadly throat attack and arm bar or that chicken wing thingy that gets the rotator cuff. 20 second fight.

Best thing he did was avoid.....LOL

Lokhopkuen
10-29-2010, 12:26 AM
if you find yourself in a room with a camera, you are kungfu vs a bjj guy. you are probably set up first of all, and you probably suck. ;) :p

thats what scouting is for

second, go berserk and try to hurt him as fast as you can, as soon as he ties you up you are done if you cant stay on your feet.

So when a guys runs in and grabs me, uhhh I'm just s'possed to give up, lay down and "let him wrap me up."?

Uhh no:D

meltdawn
10-29-2010, 12:58 AM
these style against style meets go on all the time in HK.

the 'kung fu' guy did them all the time, so he wasn't green. he was so confident in the power of his kicks that he asked the bjj guy to put on a chest guard. i give props to people willing to try out what they have against anything. you'll see that there are 2 more rounds to the fight. the guy was willing to continue and see if he could figure out how to defend.

the 'bjj' guy is Hakka and grew up in a family of Jook Lum tong long guys. he did full contact kung fu tournaments in the UK before he started bjj. he wouldn't have any problems with the guy even if they stay standing. now he is a brown belt and teaches bjj and MMA, as well as refs MMA. his name is Thomas Fan and he's my bjj sifu.

i started bjj because i saw how effective it was in the first UFC. i love my kung fu style, but i know it has limitations on the ground and i wanted to be confident there too. it's a great sport, you can spar all the time and not get too many injuries too often, and it's made me understand and be able to practice more what i already know about grabs and takedowns. i think MMA is a natural progression for martial artists who want to train hard and continue to challenge their fighting abilities.

Yum Cha
10-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Props Melty!

Dragonzbane76
10-29-2010, 03:53 AM
good luck melt. looks like your on the right track. :)

Frost
10-29-2010, 05:00 AM
i would be interested to see a bjj black belt spar a top level shuai jiao fighter. just to see how well the bjj guy can do to take the shuai jiao guy off his feet.

also i want to see shuai jiao vs judo

shuai jiao vs judo would come down to the better competitor and which art do you think has the better competition pool to pull from? Same with BJJ but you wouldn’t find a strict BJJ black belt who regularly competes who doesn’t also train Judo to a high level

EarthDragon
10-29-2010, 05:54 AM
why oh why must people always start thread and say this style vs that style????????

It kinda annoys me, because it should read this guy vs that guy. Its is not the style nor the art that are comparable, its how well the individual can make thier chosen art work.

This is the only real comparison. If it were 30 odd 6 vs a 38 and the guy with the 38 drew faster or had better aim does tht mean the 38 is a superior gun?

No matter what art stlye or whatever you do it is always up to the guy who trains more and can apply his art mnore effeicently.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-29-2010, 06:18 AM
why oh why must people always start thread and say this style vs that style????????

It kinda annoys me, because it should read this guy vs that guy. Its is not the style nor the art that are comparable, its how well the individual can make thier chosen art work.

This is the only real comparison. If it were 30 odd 6 vs a 38 and the guy with the 38 drew faster or had better aim does tht mean the 38 is a superior gun?

No matter what art stlye or whatever you do it is always up to the guy who trains more and can apply his art mnore effeicently.

Mostly because if you read my original post it was not about style vs. style, it was about the insanely stupid comments people on You Tube post about martial arts. Any person that does not address groundfighting will be beaten by someone who does, that part is very simple. Take a minute and read the comments of that match and you will see how deluded the average person is regarding martial arts.

Lucas
10-29-2010, 09:13 AM
So when a guys runs in and grabs me, uhhh I'm just s'possed to give up, lay down and "let him wrap me up."?

Uhh no:D

i dont recall seeing that statement in any of my posts, ever ;) . never give up. i was howerever saying if you suck and you get floored by a bjj guy and you are probably going to lose... its totally different, than saying to just give up. if you could find the quote where i suggest giving up...:p

what i was eluding to is that often the bjj guy knows the kungfu guy has little to zero ground experience and knowledge and knows if he can get in and not get ko he has a really good chance of winning.

the best i think ive ever seen in any of these vids is delucia vs gracie. he did better than any other pure cma guy than ive ever seen on those vids, then he immediately started training bjj...

your best bet as a kungfu guy with no REAL ground game, is to ko the guy fast. pretty realistic imo.

but by all means, show me a kungfu guy beating a bjj guy in a friendly full contact match. im not saying it cant happen, anything can happen, but there are aspects to likely and unlikely scenarios.

lets face it, realistically, most all kungfu purists wont be able to hold their own against a bjj guy with a few years under his belt IF the fight goes to the ground.

hskwarrior
10-29-2010, 09:24 AM
your best bet as a kungfu guy with no REAL ground game, is to ko the guy fast. pretty realistic imo.

I agree. the only gung fu guy that i can think of at the moment to enter the UFC and effectively use his stuff was Cung Le. All the others in the past has froze up and allowed the MMA or BJJ guys to do what they do best.

MightyB
10-29-2010, 09:41 AM
I agree. the only gung fu guy that i can think of at the moment to enter the UFC and effectively use his stuff was Cung Le. All the others in the past has froze up and allowed the MMA or BJJ guys to do what they do best.

Cung Le is MMA. I remember how pi$$y TCMA people were towards him in his early San Shou days because he didn't claim a TCMA style. He's as hybrid MMA as they come. Mostly TKD and wrestling in his youth when he rose to the top of the early American San Shou world. Gene should have some archived interviews where he discussed how he developed his famous scissor kick take down. Here's a hint "Best of the Best".

Iron_Eagle_76
10-29-2010, 09:44 AM

A lot of this has to do with Cung's wrestling experience. If you have a Kung Fu guy well trained in either wrestling or Shuai Jiao and can keep the BJJ guy from taking them down, it negates their main offensive objective.

Lucas
10-29-2010, 10:47 AM
in regards to cung le and cma i think the best aspect to look at is how he employs techniques that are common in cma. namely, side kicks and turn back kicks and various hand strikes, very common in many styles of cma. sure other styles have those, but so does cma, and he makes them work. hell he gets tko with body kicks......who else does that at the pro fighting level?

his main strength in mma besides his striking is his defense of the takedown, and being able to bring the fight back to his realm if he does go down. That is where kungfu guys need to cross train. If you have competent stand up game, get your defense in place, and learn the ground enough to escape and bring the fight back to your comfort zone.

but remember....in life MOST GROWTH HAPPENS OUTSIDE THE COMFORT ZONE!!!

you can apply that to anything.

David Jamieson
10-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Take a minute and read the comments of that match and you will see how deluded the average person is regarding martial arts.

Rule number eleventyone of the kung fu man.

11ty1) Only a fool heeds the words of another fool.

:)

EarthDragon
10-29-2010, 07:59 PM
hskwarrior

Joel sutton faught under my school kung fu USA in UFC 6 & 7 as an alternate and won both bouts using praying mantis kung fu

ironeagleMostly because if you read my original post it was not about style vs. style, it was about the insanely stupid comments people on You Tube post about martial arts.
yes you did sorry about that I skipped over the impotance fo your thread, my apologies, just get tired of all these threads that compare this to that with no relavance, sorry again eagle