PDA

View Full Version : New "Monkey BJJ style"

old jong
05-05-2001, 12:44 AM
Did you notice the new tendance of BJJ lately?...After seeing Matt Sierra jump on his opponent like Chita used to do in old Tarzan Movies! I think they are working hard to reniew their bank of techniques.After all,it is easy to see that the "escape to the ground" tactic is not as effective as it used to be !The surprise effect is not there anymore and the stand on their feet fighters are starting to knock out these guys in a good fashion....Even with a SPINNING BACK FIST!!!! :D
P.S. This message is not addressed to non trolls peoples who can respect other arts. Please dont feel concerned by it's content ;)

C'est la vie!

old jong
05-05-2001, 04:41 AM
That new technique comes from the new UFC rule that says " Thy shall not use your lower limb extremity(foot) on the ugly part of head(face) of your opponent"
Now you just have to snake in his guard,he can do nothing! :D :D This gives new meaning to ground fighting! :rolleyes:

C'est la vie!

Budokan
05-06-2001, 03:03 AM
Truth will out, over time. "Shoot and mount" is nothing more than glorified wrestling, and UFC was nothing more than a showcase to promote the "effectiveness" of a single style.

Oh well, they still have their arrogance and intolerance towards other arts going for them...

Except for the good guys of grappling, of which, lately, and sadly, only a few representative examples are left on the board.

K. Mark Hoover

Ralek
05-07-2001, 04:04 AM
Matt Serra was the much better fighter. He controlled the entire fight. He just got knocked out by an unexpected elbow. 9 times out of 10 Serra would win that fight but this was that 10th time.

old jong
05-07-2001, 05:07 AM
Rolls is back!!!!! :eek:

C'est la vie!

Master Po
05-07-2001, 06:45 PM
You can keep telling yourself that Ralek (rolls?) but Matt got hit with the spining backfist (now called the "reverse spinning pimp slap") not once but twice. Matt has a great reputation as a grappler and I'm sure he deserves it but Shonie was the better fighter that night.

Tigerstyle
05-10-2001, 09:27 AM
He dressed like a pimp, he talked like a pimp and he slapped like a pimp ;) . I honestly though Matt Serra was gonna win this one, but Shonie Carter treated him like a five-dollar ho that came up two-dollars short.

I think if you watch the fight again and turn the volume up high, you can hear Shonie saying something right before the pimp slap, "Give me my money..." Slap!

Seriously though, I thought Matt Serra looked really good (the "jump" to the guard was silly, though), and he had some great near-submissions. It seems that "Mr. International" had the experience needed to keep from getting caught, though.

Merryprankster
05-15-2001, 02:31 PM
No offense guys, but this is kind of a tired concept. Nobody who follows this stuff expects pretty much a pure BJJ stylist to win in a MMA event anymore. Plain old every day BJJer's are known for three things:

1. Haveing some of the very best groundfighting in the world

2. Having rotten takedowns.

3. Having rotten striking.

Not much striking in most BJJ, and they don't practice the takedowns nearly as often as the matwork... that, and I really, REALLY don't like some of the ones taught... ever seen a BJJ double leg (bahiana)? It's not a pretty sight.

Knifefighter
05-15-2001, 11:07 PM
That's a perfect example of using a tournament technique in the wrong environment.

Merryprankster
05-16-2001, 02:00 PM
Knifefighter,

My thoughts exactly. Pull guard? Huh? In MMA? Sounds like a death wish.