PDA

View Full Version : Who's with who?

sifudrew4870
11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Hello, all. New to the board, wanted to say hi. I study 7 star, under Sifu Chuck Perry, who is under Si Gung Raymond Fogg. In Alexandria, Louisiana. Off and on for 16 years. Love 7 Star.

yu shan
11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Pretty much chop suey from 1974 - 1990, then I joined Wah Lum and studied with Art D`Agostino. I was then handed off to Shifu Sean Cochran and with Chan Pui. Then I left Wah Lum and began my training with Peng Lai under Shifu John Scolaro. My Shifu now is Kevin Brazier. His Shifu is Master Shi Zheng Zhong. Shifu Kevin Brazier will be my last teacher.

mooyingmantis
11-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the board!
My original kung fu style is Nu Hou Quan which I studied in the late 70's from Leroy Johnson and taught for 30 years.
I was first introduced to Northern Praying Mantis (WHF) in the middle '80s by Mike Biggie and have trained on and off with him in group and/or private classes since then. I also learned the Wah Lum Little Mantis set.
Now I teach my own interpretation of Mantis (wuying tanglangquan) in North Canton, Ohio.

iunojupiter
11-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Originally studied Shaolin Kempo Karate (Villari Flavor) in high school, took a couple years off for college.
Started studying under Shifu Stanley Tabor in 2002 and have been with him ever since. Originally learning Wah Lum Praying Mantis kung fu, now fully transitioned into Taiji Meihua.

EarthDragon
11-02-2010, 07:36 AM
welcome to the board Shifudrew
got my start in hungar by the late master ting fong wong, one of the 10 tigers of Canton in 1981. switched to Okinawn Karate from one of victor vegas top students Leslie Heri and eanred a black belt, then went a praying mantis kung fu seminar hosted by Dean Economus given by my current shifu of ba bu tang lang's shyun kwon long student of Wei Xiao Tung in 1989 and got my arse handed to me with little to no effort and I knew that 8 step would be the system I would do forever and have been teaching it since 1996.

I recenlty had the pleasure of being invited by Raymond Fogg to attend his seminar and was honner to meet and touch hands with him.

sifudrew4870
11-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Yes, Si Gung Fogg is a remarkable man. I don't get the opportunities to train with him as much as I like, due to work schedule, but I take advantage of every chance.
Am looking forward to spending time with him soon, if not, then by December, when we will all gather to celebrate his birthday. Thank you for the reply.

SanHeChuan
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Talking mantis ;)

Under Sifu Hughes in Austin TX (2yrs) who's under Si Gung Raymond Fogg. :cool:

Though I'm not currently training the mantis, I hope to return with better employment. :(

Codeboy
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
My resume sounds pretty puny by comparison as I have only been training 7 star under Sifu Henry Chung for almost 5 years now. Seems like I am one of the few people to have never studied any other MA. I was able to briefly meet Sifu Fogg at the promotion ceremony of one of Sifu Chung's students this past summer.

Very cool photo EarthDragon!

mooyingmantis
11-02-2010, 02:05 PM
My resume sounds pretty puny by comparison as I have only been training 7 star under Sifu Henry Chung for almost 5 years now. Seems like I am one of the few people to have never studied any other MA. I was able to briefly meet Sifu Fogg at the promotion ceremony of one of Sifu Chung's students this past summer.

Very cool photo EarthDragon!

Nothing puny about that! You are very fortunate to be training with Sifu Chung. He is a very respected member of the Mantis community. :)

EarthDragon
11-02-2010, 02:14 PM
codeboy,
no worries as mooying said, 5 dedicated years is far more than alot of people put in, and you are fortunate to start with mantis, some of us needed to wade through teachers and other styles till we found what we loved, your lucky.
Dont worry about the years trained eiher, we have long resumes because we're old LOL 44 years in age with 29 years training, however no matter how old I am I will always be younger than mooying .... LOL:D

mooyingmantis
11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Dont worry about the years trained eiher, we have long resumes because we're old LOL 44 years in age with 29 years training, however no matter how old I am I will always be younger than mooying .... LOL:D

52 years of age, 42 years in MA. DON'T make daddy SPANK Earthdragon! :eek:
LOL!!!!

cerebus
11-02-2010, 07:54 PM
I trained in a Korean lineage of Mantis which included aspects of Shaolin Longfist and Bagua under Stefano Dalla Vecchia and Guiseppe Bon in Italy. They both had trained under Master Shin Dae Woung who had trained in Korea under Lu Shui Tien, Lee Poyon, and Lim Poon Chang. I trained in this lineage for around 4 years before returning to the US.

I still practice this curriculum on my own, though my primary practice since 2002 has been the Hsing-I Bagua & Tai Chi of the Tang Shou Tao Association.

MightyB
11-04-2010, 07:57 AM
My name's Kurt and I was a regular of Sifu Henry Chung from 1992 through 2003, then I had to move.

Been doing Judo and BJJ ever since but still love the kung fu and go back to refresh every once in a while. Basically, whenever I get too ****y, Sifu will slap me around and show me that I still don't know shi'ite. Gotta love it.

Codeboy
11-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Hahaha :D

Funny how Sifu Chung can humble you isn't it! I believe I was humbled by his elbow to my throat last night in class :eek:

chadkoelling
11-17-2010, 03:19 AM
I study in alexandria la under sifu perry also under the sigung fogg lineage. Of course sifudrew you probably already knew that since you are my kung fu brother :cool: see you in class.

sifudrew4870
11-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Is no place sacred?

I'm glad you found the board, brother. Lots of interesting things going on in here, at times. Won't be there today(wed) still sick. Please tell Dai Si Heng and Sifu, maybe thurs.

Zai Jian.

Davemantis
11-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm under Sifu Alexander Tse Wing Ming.

TaichiMantis
11-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm under Sifu Ly Hoa Yen (http://www.sifulee.com), a senior disciple of Chiu Chuk Kai (Tai Chi Praying Mantis). Previously I was under Jeff Organ, who trained in Honolulu under Sifu David Cheng, Sifu Ly's kung fu brother and fellow disciple of CCK in Vietnam.

SanHeChuan
11-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Is no place sacred?

I'm glad you found the board, brother. Lots of interesting things going on in here, at times. Won't be there today(wed) still sick. Please tell Dai Si Heng and Sifu, maybe thurs.

Zai Jian.

Who Me? :confused:

No I don't know many people outside of Sifu Hughes school. I didn't go to the madhouse weekend or any other recent get togethers. :(

Found it? I've been on this board for 10 years. :D

chadkoelling
11-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Who Me? :confused:

No I don't know many people outside of Sifu Hughes school. I didn't go to the madhouse weekend or any other recent get togethers. :(

Found it? I've been on this board for 10 years. :D

No San,

sifudrew and I are training at the same kwoon.

seung ga faat
11-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Started training in CMA at age fifteen. Training in Seven Star Praying Mantis began in 1986 under Cheung Wah, Sifu . I'm still under his tutelage.
I am 51 now, guess I have about 25 years in 7-Star.
________
Weed vaporizers (http://weedvaporizers.org/)

Paul T England
11-29-2010, 04:02 AM
Hi All,

I am under Derek Frearson in the UK who is a disciple of Lee Kam Wing. Started with Mantis under Sifu Frearson in 1995.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk