PDA

View Full Version : Stick and Knife Questions

Highlander
05-30-2001, 12:35 AM
KnifeFighter ........ Thanks for the information, but I'm still unclear as to a particular style of stick and knife fighting that dominates. What I'm getting at is, if a person subscribes to the theory that all empty hand striking eventually ends up looking like kickboxing, then it would make sense to study kickboxing right off. By the same logic, if all stick fighting ends up looking like Escrima as opposed to Kali or Arnis, then it would make sense to study Escrima. Also, these are the only systems of stick fighting I have heard of, are there others and what are they like?

Basically, I also have the same question about knife fighting. If a person wants to learn how to knife fight, what is the best way to go about it. Is there a particular style that is considered more effective than others? What styles are out there?

Lastly, you mentioned grappling with sticks, are the sticks integrated into the grappling, or are you talking about the stick fighting evolving into empty hand grappling?

Knifefighter
05-30-2001, 03:54 AM
Highlander:
Full contact, NHB stickfighting that includes groundfighting is still evolving. There is definitely a type of fighting that dominates, but it is hard to put a name on it. My opinion is that the most effective "style" seems to the what has been coming out of the Dog Brothers gatherings. It is sort of a blend of Inosanto and Lamenco Escrima and BJJ. It is definitely a power, rather than a finesse, style. You can buy videos of the Dog Brothers style from their web site at: www.dog.brothers.com. (http://www.dog.brothers.com.)

As far as knife fighting, the most impressive guys I have seen have come from the Lamenco camp.

As for the ground grappling with sticks, there are two schools of thought on that. One is to use the sticks as part of the grappling for chokes and joint locks. The other is to disregard the sticks and "just groundfight". The second approach only uses the sticks for striking from a superior position and doesn’t use them for submissions. I believe that the second approach is superior and that as more and more fighters learn the ground game, this type of groundfighting will dominate.
ó