PDA

View Full Version : What the F^ck is wrong with modern martial art?

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 07:06 AM
In the formative years of my generation we were force fed manners. Yes sir, no mamma were the first words out of your mouth or you got the back hand. Now a day young people have no respect for adults and are openly contemptuous of elderly folks.
Then again who can blame them. Role models are far and few between.

And now here we are in the realm of the modern Gladiator. Steroids, tight pants some chain link and the spectacle is on. I have been trying to put a finger on where the mannerless unskilled windbags were coming from on this forum and suddenly i spied the culprit.

The MMA Paradyne....

Training martial skill without balancing the mind or tempering the ego.
The rules are simple:
Fight fight fight, kill kill kill, techniques galor, no art to speak of just entertainment for the dirty masses.

The MMA touting buffoons who populate this forum go on about the fact that if you are not in a life or death struggle with another scantly clad steroid gladiator resisting your amorous advances then your martial art ain't real and you are waisting your time. or if you have not "fought full contact" to entertain an audience populated by blood luting cowards You suck suck suck.

If you listen to the ones “subtly” promoting their business with "stealth" and "cunning" their arguments are so persuasive along with forum members who respect them (who in reality are their friends / business partners/ a ss pal) you might even doubt yourself since by nature we all bend to conformity to "fit in"?

Fact is the majority of these guys are either A.) confused military paper pushers somewhere in the rear with the gear wasting military net bandwith on facebook and kungfumagazine forums, B.) disgruntled former TCMA practitioners who studied for decades giving away a fortune only to discover they learned the special “quai low” fist while their asian classmates got the real behind closed doors.. (these people do the most damage to the reputation of gung fu, well them and their greedy racists teachers.) and last but not least the C.) the martial art butterfly, cowards who lack dedication, fortitude, backbone, character, morality never stuck with any system more than a few months. A little JKD here, a few dog brothers bruises there, some bodies in motion cardio kick boxing brewed up with the pathetic aping of the good old BJJ. The biggest belly laugh is these low level skill less wannabes hanging off of the formidable Gracie nut hairs claiming greatness via proxy. History has shown us its share of great tough men who go into the world and rip out a place in the sun. Then their spoiled children who knowing only the good life matriculate into useless spineless full of noise all bark no bite shadows of their progenitors.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 07:06 AM
The cross road on the path in a life of martial art is where one either chooses to focus on brawn and brute force emphasizing “what works” driven by ruthless intent void of the very concept of compassion.

These men are strong and formidable until suddenly as they age (badly) they develop back problems, hair loss, knee problems, mental illness, post traumatic stress syndrome. internal disfunction, liver cancer, followed by sudden chronic dispersion of muscular energy, deterioration of mental function followed by death.

At this same cross road there is the choice of self cultivation via martial art. Regimen of meditation, flexibility maintenance, internal cultivation, conscious exercise in breath control, healing arts, self reflection, music studies, writing, poetry, deductive reasoning, self reflection coupled with consistent daily martial cultivation in open hand and weapons. A vast majority of these people radiate health, are calm, kind, skilled and refined in combat as the radiate compassion and empathy.

Naturally both these examples are broad generalizations in the big picture yet I can bare witness to many friends and class mates who are healthy active fighters at 60, 70, 80 and 90+. A dear friend dedicated to martial art and yoga passed recently at 94. Very flexible and moved with energy and steadiness.

Getting to my point:
One of the sad things about this forum IMHO is a lack of respect in our exchanges with one another. Yes there are trolls, comedians and trouble makers that are outnumbered by gentleman practitioners and enthusiasts.

As much as we disagree in discussion we all gather here because of our common interest in martial art. No matter what system you practice, if you have any type of skill it did not come easy. This is our bond of commonality. We can all relate from our shared experience of bitter work on the path to skill.

Respect?
Wu De translates as a Martial Code of Conduct.

Wu De is the Chinese martial arts code of appropriate social interaction. Ethics and etiquette is ingrained not only in the culture of China but also pervades throughout the philosophy that holds the society together.

There are five points in Wu De: Respect, Humility, Trust, Virtue, and Honor.

Respect (Zun Jing; 尊敬)
The term respect means to acknowledge the feelings and interests of another in a relationship and treating the other at a standard that rules out selfish behavior. Respect is derived not by behavior but by one's attitude. Respect is appreciated as demonstrating a sense of worth or value of a person, a personal quality or ability. In martial arts, respect is the cornerstone of all the teachings of martial arts. In regards to Wu De, respect begins with the individual and manifests outward meaning that those who respect themselves as well as others will, in turn, be respected. Respect must be earned as well as displayed. This is why we bow and why we use titles.

Humility (Qian Xu; 谦逊)

The term humility is the quality or characteristic of a person that is unpretentious and modest. Humility comes with controlling ones pride and ego. Pride and ego are the killers of good martial arts and good character. When we allow our own pride and ego to infiltrate our rational judgment we start to make decisions based on self-pride and not solid facts. When your ego and pride take over you will become satisfied with yourself and stop thinking deeply. Try daily to display humility in everything you do. Train for yourself and not the title or color around your waist. Keep your cup of tea empty allowing yourself to always learn.
"The taller the bamboo grows, the lower it bows." - Chinese Proverb

Trust (Xin Yong: 信用)

Who do you trust? Do people trust you? Trust is the belief that a person is of good character and will seek to fulfill promises, policies, ethical codes, and the law. In martial arts, we make a promise to ourselves, the school, and the teacher. When starting a school or job there are underlying trusts that both parties expect to have in place such as safety, compensation, and knowing what is in each others best interest. In martial arts it is a breach of trust to ask for more knowledge from the instructor. Excessive questioning suggests that the student knows the material well enough to advance. Advancing is at the discretion of the instructor, not the student.
Understand that sometimes routine instruction is for your own good as it allows you to become proficient at the art. Trust the path you take is the right one. At times instruction may seem to contradict itself. Know that perceived contradiction is one-dimensional. The instruction you receive is designed to help you navigate the correct concepts of the art.

Honor (Rong Yu; 榮譽)

Martial art has many strong connections to honor. We honor our art, ourselves, and our ancestors by showing loyalty and having the will to train while simultaneously maintaining wisdom about our training. To give loyalty is to honor the art through belief in the practices and wisdom of the people that have lived and died in perfecting the art so that it could be passed on to future generations. We should honor the people who came before us not because they were all superior but rather as Sir Isaac Newton said: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
Virtue (Dao De; 道德)

The idea of virtue in Chinese thought pertains to the notion of character. Framework for this concept is given through the four classical virtues of; temperance, prudence, courage, and justice.

Temperance is moderation. When we engage in any activity we should approach it with moderation in order to maintain rationality and balance in every facet of our world. Martial arts will enrich our life, not necessarily consume it. One of the goals in martial arts is to take the knowledge and self-discovery from the training hall and apply its principles to daily life.

Prudence is the act of having sound judgment over all ones affairs in life. In life it is prudent to look at situations that manifest and show wisdom and insight by drawing on facts, knowledge, and experience. It is ideal to be mindful and weigh the outcome of any action.

Courage is the ability to act when confronted by fear. Fear can be physical and mental. The former entails being frightened by the environment, a person, or a thing. The latter concerns mainly a fear of failure. With martial arts one can move through life with courage by accepting its challenges and not being tied down by fear.
The notion of Justice has been debated for over 2500 years. A wise master asks that the individual applies justice by reviewing the facts, the research,and then taking the course of action that he/she knows within their heart as correct.
Justice combines all virtues and components of Wu De into one application. To apply Wu De in our everyday life is being just. As martial artists we should hold ourselves to a very high standard of character.
Lao Shi Yungeberg

I apologize for my playful jabs at some of the most obnoxious in our group but I hope these words may act as a catalyst guide toward a more harmonious interacting in our discussions?

Peace

PS
I predict this post will naturally be followed by a brigade of morons posting absolute nonsense unrelated to the original post....

MysteriousPower
11-03-2010, 07:21 AM
I found a video of your deadly heart ripping kung fu man you were talking about. Actually this guy is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wMWY7lT1ik

Frost
11-03-2010, 07:21 AM
1) if you dont like MMA and the guys here who study it dont reply its that simple life is too short to worry about this stuff

2) respect my backside its the respect issue and not questioning the teacher or his methods that got TCMA into the position its in (not all TCMA but the majority of what we see out there)

3) most of the TCMA guys i know who can fight and who i have heard about are not exactly followers if the code you talk about

4) asking questions about how you train and why you train and asking for proof it works is hardly the worset thing in the world to do, if Dav id Rosses teacher is anything to go by the old guys did this when they were young and were not that respectiful when seeing if the prospective teacher actually had something to offer

Iron_Eagle_76
11-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Honestly you make some valid points and I cannot argue with a lot of what you said. However, I would not be so eager to lump all MMA fighters into a category of blood thirsty gladiators with no respect. Most fighters learn humility and respect through training, winning, and losing. It is the Tapout wearing wannabe mouthboxers who give many of them a bad name.

It's funny, at the gym I work out at, (fitness gym, not martial arts gym) they have a heavy bag I use quite often. A lot of younger guys will come up to me and tell me about how they either train in MMA or want to train in MMA. I will listen to them, sometimes give advice if they ask, but what I always find paculiar is when they ask what I train in. I always tell them, Kung Fu. It is my base art and what I do the most of. I have trained in other arts, but Kung Fu is what I am.

Almost all of them tell me they thought I was either a kickboxer or Muay Thai practioner. Maybe it is because they have been force fed an ideology that those two striking arts, along with boxing, are the be all end all and nothing else can get it done. Unfortunately I believe the younger generation has been brain washed into believing all traditional martia arts are worthless. So in some ways, they are only regurgitating what wrong information they were taught. Of course, the same can be said for Kung Fu and those who preach to their students how combat sports are bloodthirsty modern gladiators with no respect or humility. Just food for thought.;)

MysteriousPower
11-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Honestly you make some valid points and I cannot argue with a lot of what you said. However, I would not be so eager to lump all MMA fighters into a category of blood thirsty gladiators with no respect. Most fighters learn humility and respect through training, winning, and losing. It is the Tapout wearing wannabe mouthboxers who give many of them a bad name.

It's funny, at the gym I work out at, (fitness gym, not martial arts gym) they have a heavy bag I use quite often. A lot of younger guys will come up to me and tell me about how they either train in MMA or want to train in MMA. I will listen to them, sometimes give advice if they ask, but what I always find paculiar is when they ask what I train in. I always tell them, Kung Fu. It is my base art and what I do the most of. I have trained in other arts, but Kung Fu is what I am.

Almost all of them tell me they thought I was either a kickboxer or Muay Thai practioner. Maybe it is because they have been force fed an ideology that those two striking arts, along with boxing, are the be all end all and nothing else can get it done. Unfortunately I believe the younger generation has been brain washed into believing all traditional martia arts are worthless. So in some ways, they are only regurgitating what wrong information they were taught. Of course, the same can be said for Kung Fu and those who preach to their students how combat sports are bloodthirsty modern gladiators with no respect or humility. Just food for thought.;)

This is not the point of this thread but I am just responding to your point. The kung fu I used to train in combined elements of muay thai into it making for better kicks and elbows. This combination made for a better striking system overall.

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 07:36 AM
In the formative years of my generation we were force fed manners. Yes sir, no mamma were the first words out of your mouth or you got the back hand. Now a day young people have no respect for adults and are openly contemptuous of elderly folks.

And now here we are in the realm of the modern Gladiator. Steroids, tight pants some chain link and the spectacle is on. I have been trying to put a finger on where the mannerless unskilled windbags were coming from on this forum and suddenly i spied the culprit.

The MMA Paradyne....

The rules are simple:
Fight fight fight, kill kill kill, techniques galor, no art to speak of just entertainment for the dirty masses.

The MMA touting buffoons who populate this forum go on about the fact that if you are not in a life or death struggle with another scantly clad steroid gladiator resisting your amorous advances then your martial art ain't real and you are waisting your time. or if you have not "fought full contact" to entertain an audience populated by blood luting cowards You suck suck suck.

LOL... there have always been systems that trained primarily for full contact... boxing, wrestling, judo, MT, Sambo.

And guess, what? They always thought the LARPer's sucked.

It's nothing new and it has nothing to do with MMA.

MysteriousPower
11-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Lokhopkuen,

The martial arts are not around to teach us manners and morality about if we should fight or not.

You mentioned that mma guys were less mannered than kung fu guys. This has nothing to do with mma. I think it is a generational thing.

Iron_Eagle_76
This is not the point of this thread but I am just responding to your point. The kung fu I used to train in combined elements of muay thai into it making for better kicks and elbows. This combination made for a better striking system overall.

Muay Thai and boxing both improved techniques I had learned in Kung Fu due to their training methods. This is often the point I try to make is that Kung Fu has many of these great techniques, but other systems train them more effectively.

Knifefighter
I found a video of your deadly heart ripping kung fu man you were talking about. Actually this guy is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wMWY7lT1ik

The fact that there is so much of this is the thing in TMA's is what the OP should be railing to the gods about.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 07:51 AM

I was being camp. Tiny bit of humor;)
I love all martial art, I am however a bit tired of people touting their superiority over the internet.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 07:54 AM
LOL... there have always been systems that trained primarily for full contact... boxing, wrestling, judo, MT, Sambo.

And guess, what? They always thought the LARPer's sucked.

It's nothing new and it has nothing to do with MMA.

I love how you've aligned yourself with them all while having nothing to do with them.
THAT'S LARP BUDDY BOY:D

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 08:02 AM
I love how you've aligned yourself with them all while having nothing to do with them.
THAT'S LARP BUDDY BOY:D

Methinks we know who the larper is here.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 08:02 AM
1) if you dont like MMA and the guys here who study it dont reply its that simple life is too short to worry about this stuff

2) respect my backside its the respect issue and not questioning the teacher or his methods that got TCMA into the position its in (not all TCMA but the majority of what we see out there)

3) most of the TCMA guys i know who can fight and who i have heard about are not exactly followers if the code you talk about

4) asking questions about how you train and why you train and asking for proof it works is hardly the worset thing in the world to do, if Dav id Rosses teacher is anything to go by the old guys did this when they were young and were not that respectiful when seeing if the prospective teacher actually had something to offer

Brother I love and respect all martial art and have dedicated myself to only one.
I have nothing against MMA personally. Watching has been very educational.
I do have a problem with MMA people who yammer about how bad assed they are on internet forums.

People seem to be over looking the main thrust of my post.
Community based on respectful mutual interest.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Methinks we know who the larper is here.

Yea invited you to meet me and you cheesed:rolleyes:

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Yea invited you to meet me and you cheesed:rolleyes:

Um, no, you cheesed.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 08:05 AM

You don't know a thing about martial arts, do you:cool:

RenDaHai
11-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Pretty cool post there LokHop,

I like a lot of what you said about Wu De, except the part about trust.... Doubt is the mother of the scientific method and its what allows us to exceed. If you trust your teacher implicitly you will only ever get close to his level. If you doubt him and seek better answers and methods you will exceed past him. Even if Zhang San Feng himself was teaching me I would still question his method.

Stereotypes are off course not true in all cases, but there is always some truth to them, and thats why they exist. I would say in my experience that anyone who excels at something does not conform to the stereotype. But I would say I beleive that there is a division between the type of people who do MMA and those who do TCMA. Off course the majority of people do not conform to this, but enough do to make it noticeable. Tongue in cheek as your comment was there is an element of truth.

sanjuro_ronin
11-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Having been exposed to BOTH TMA and SMA ( Sport MA) I can say this:
BOTH have their noble warriors and BOTH have their larping *******s and NEITHER has a monopoly on either.

MasterKiller
11-03-2010, 08:30 AM
The MMA Paradyne....

WTF is a paradyne? One of these?

http://service.pcconnection.com/images/inhouse/87bffa04-f1f3-4381-9575-4051eded629b.jpg

Yung Apprentice
11-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Interesting thing about humility, once you realize you have it, you lose it.

wenshu
11-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Interesting thing about humility, once you realize you have it, you lose it.

This.

There is an inherent contradiction in posting about lofty ideals such as humility, honor and respect, then immediately proceeding to flame someone on another thread with profane insults, egotistical self promotion and outright threats.

An often over looked but no less vital part of 武得; the posting on public forums of pornography. Lots of pornography.

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 08:52 AM
originally posted by master killer
the mma paradyne....
Wtf is a paradyne? One of these?

lol you cold man you!

Eric Olson
11-03-2010, 08:56 AM
"C.) the martial art butterfly, cowards who lack dedication, fortitude, backbone, character, morality never stuck with any system more than a few months. A little JKD here, a few dog brothers bruises there, some bodies in motion cardio kick boxing brewed up with the pathetic aping of the good old BJJ. The biggest belly laugh is these low level skill less wannabes hanging off of the formidable Gracie nut hairs claiming greatness via proxy. History has shown us its share of great tough men who go into the world and rip out a place in the sun. Then their spoiled children who knowing only the good life matriculate into useless spineless full of noise all bark no bite shadows of their progenitors."

That's god**** poetry....

EO

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 09:00 AM
forgot to take his meds guys... and his therapist couldn't meet with him last night so he's on his "blame everyone else rant today".

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 09:05 AM
It is fans who make the most noise.

Football players don't say and do the outrageous things their fans do.

MMA fighters are like Tradiitonal fighters. A fighter is a fighter after all. They really don't engage too much in the kind of vitriol we all bathe in over here at KFM with it's constant ruckus of trollshido jerks vs Kung Fu hippies. lol

At least half the group belongs here and understands some of the subject matter.

Meanwhile, the other half is waiting to shout at their tv during the next ufc televised spectacle! woot.

the more things change, the more they stay the same as they ever were. :p

as for you guys going on the hardest and the loudest about character development, it is not hard to see in many of your posts that you have the least amount of that and perhaps could use some instruction in how to be tactful, how to show a little respect towards a differing viewpoint, how to be polite and so on, because it is glaringly obvious that this has not been instilled in you.

complain as you will. Meanwhile, I am going to practice my traditional, deep and meaningful chinese martial arts. :)

MysteriousPower
11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
It is fans who make the most noise.

Football players don't say and do the outrageous things their fans do.

MMA fighters are like Tradiitonal fighters. A fighter is a fighter after all. They really don't engage too much in the kind of vitriol we all bathe in over here at KFM with it's constant ruckus of trollshido jerks vs Kung Fu hippies. lol

At least half the group belongs here and understands some of the subject matter.

Meanwhile, the other half is waiting to shout at their tv during the next ufc televised spectacle! woot.

the more things change, the more they stay the same as they ever were. :p

as for you guys going on the hardest and the loudest about character development, it is not hard to see in many of your posts that you have the least amount of that and perhaps could use some instruction in how to be tactful, how to show a little respect towards a differing viewpoint, how to be polite and so on, because it is glaringly obvious that this has not been instilled in you.

complain as you will. Meanwhile, I am going to practice my traditional, deep and meaningful chinese martial arts. :)

Did you not discover after your thread that whining does not do anything? Take the beating like a man, get up, and walk away.

SPJ
11-03-2010, 09:19 AM
It is easy to show and teach how to fight or how to kill

it is not easy to teach ethics or moralities.

your personalities and characters are part of your upbringing from parents, families, relatives, friends since kidhood.

it is easy to teach how to fish

it is not easy to teach "catch and release"

that is why some peep will fish without lure and hook and with only a stick and a line

----

bawang
11-03-2010, 09:26 AM
teaching morals and culture for money lol what r u guys scientologists?

sanjuro_ronin
11-03-2010, 09:52 AM
teaching morals and culture for money lol what r u guys scientologists?

Bawang has wanged the correct once again !

bawang
11-03-2010, 09:55 AM
problem i have wit american kung fu is everyone is a winner. no matter how much ur student suck ass, unless he pedofile or something they never get kicked out. american sifus are too desperate for students.
american kung fu people always see kung fu thru the tainted eyes of an american. they never learned anything about chinese culture

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 10:23 AM
By all means, if some of you insist on being how you are in regards to how you communicate with others, that's fine.

Truthfully, you will have more doors closed to you and even less understanding than you have now.

enjoy your workouts. I enjoy mine!

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 10:23 AM
problem i have wit american kung fu is everyone is a winner. no matter how much ur student suck ass, unless he pedofile or something they never get kicked out. american sifus are too desperate for students.
american kung fu people always see kung fu thru the tainted eyes of an american. they never learned anything about chinese culture

what is there to learn pray tell?

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 10:30 AM
problem i have wit american kung fu is everyone is a winner.

people in america do think this. That's the problem. The heart of the problem. Because everyone is not a winner. You always have to have a loser. Promoting yourself to always believing you are always a winning is a very dangerous thought pattern. Makes you over confident, arrogant, egotistical etc. The major problems americans have today. Most people from other countries b!tch at americans for this very thing. America is full of itself with little to no humility.

goju
11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
By all means, if some of you insist on being how you are in regards to how you communicate with others, that's fine.

Truthfully, you will have more doors closed to you and even less understanding than you have now.

enjoy your workouts. I enjoy mine!

nice job whipping out the "you dont have the secret stuff" card before you leave.:D

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
nice job whipping out the "you dont have the secret stuff" card before you leave.:D

There is nothing secret about good manners and the fact that they are taught and not built in with people.

There is nothing secret about how guidance to diligence forges good character in a person and that it is not there built in.

A good sword is fired and hammered many times.

A good person is the same.

No work = No result

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
nice job whipping out the "you dont have the secret stuff" card before you leave.

kinda like the race card around here seriously. :p

goju
11-03-2010, 10:39 AM
There is nothing secret about good manners and the fact that they are taught and not built in with people.

There is nothing secret about how guidance to diligence forges good character in a person and that it is not there built in.

No work = No result

Manners have nothing to do with martial arts

Iron_Eagle_76
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM

No work = No result

This is true, but why is it the job of martial arts instructors to teach these mannerisms. They should be taught to a child by parents or parent. This whole respect driven love thy neighbor BS gets really old. Hell, I thought you were an atheist!:p

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Manners have nothing to do with martial arts

They have everything to do with Kung Fu.

Martial arts is what it is. Kung Fu is not martial arts in scope alone or by the very definition of it.

Frankly I am surprised at how many of the so called "mma supporter" crowd here have failed to make that connection.

Kung Fu envelopes more than fighting. If one would like to focus only on that, they surely can, but if someone wants to learn Kung Fu, they will be guided towards their own Kung Fu which is to cultivate the entirety of the person.

I don't have that disconnect, why should you?

bawang
11-03-2010, 10:48 AM
what is there to learn pray tell?

be strong and have honor

goju
11-03-2010, 10:48 AM
They have everything to do with Kung Fu.

Martial arts is what it is. Kung Fu is not martial arts in scope alone or by the very definition of it.

Frankly I am surprised at how many of the so called "mma supporter" crowd here have failed to make that connection.

Kung Fu envelopes more than fighting. If one would like to focus only on that, they surely can, but if someone wants to learn Kung Fu, they will be guided towards their own Kung Fu which is to cultivate the entirety of the person.

because my opinion of martial arts isnt influenced by kung fu movies and quasi mystical nonsense that isnt in touch with reality. the idea behind punching and kicking someone isnt to develop moral character its to hurt them and nothing more.

GeneChing
11-03-2010, 10:52 AM
That's an intrinsic problem with many of the arguments here. Fighting does not equal martial arts. I know plenty of fighters that are very effective and don't practice any martial arts. By adding the suffix of 'art' you naturally elevate martial arts to a level above just fighting. Sure, fighting is a root element, but there's more than just that. Even in MMA, there's more than just fighting. There's the sport of it - the notion of fair competition.

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 10:55 AM
because my opinion of martial arts isnt influenced by kung fu movies and quasi mystical nonsense that isnt in touch with reality. the idea behind punching and kicking someone isnt to develop moral character its to hurt them and nothing more.

I don't watch chop sockey flicks per se. Let it be known. :)

I don't think your opinion of martial arts is influenced by a Kung Fu sifu either.

Like I said elsewhere, if it is your goal to only punch or kick or rather to learn to fight, then a Kung Fu school is probably not the best place for you as you will not enjoy all the other aspects.

People who favour the visceral act of fighting will not change the actual process of gaining Kung Fu in ones life.

I don't know why people bother trying. As if their few short years on the planet and their limited experience in any way trumps a mindform and a construct that is nearly ageless.

It's laughable to read such things actually.

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
be strong and have honor

Seems rather limited in scope don't you think?
Can you expand on that?

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 10:57 AM

There's no disconnect. Pretty much every single person in the "MMA" camp has stated categorically we completely agree with someone doing kung fu for non-fighting purposes.

We make fun of the people who extrapolate the non-fighting to the fighting.

goju
11-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't watch chop sockey flicks per se. Let it be known. :)

I don't think your opinion of martial arts is influenced by a Kung Fu sifu either.

Like I said elsewhere, if it is your goal to only punch or kick or rather to learn to fight, then a Kung Fu school is probably not the best place for you as you will not enjoy all the other aspects.

People who favour the visceral act of fighting will not change the actual process of gaining Kung Fu in ones life.

I don't know why people bother trying. As if their few short years on the planet and their limited experience in any way trumps a mindform and a construct that is nearly ageless.

It's laughable to read such things actually.

how do you know this construct is that old? Were you around centuries ago to see if the masters of old followed this path?

Again youre too eaisly influenced by myths and tall tales

Hardwork108
11-03-2010, 11:43 AM

The MMA Paradyne....

The rules are simple:

If you listen to the ones “subtly” promoting their business with "stealth" and "cunning" their arguments are so persuasive along with forum members who respect them (who in reality are their friends / business partners/ a ss pal) you might even doubt yourself since by nature we all bend to conformity to "fit in"?

Fact is the majority of these guys are either A.) confused military paper pushers somewhere in the rear with the gear wasting military net bandwith on facebook and kungfumagazine forums, B.) disgruntled former TCMA practitioners who studied for decades giving away a fortune only to discover they learned the special “quai low” fist while their asian classmates got the real behind closed doors.. (these people do the most damage to the reputation of gung fu, well them and their greedy racists teachers.) and last but not least the C.) the martial art butterfly, cowards who lack dedication, fortitude, backbone, character, morality never stuck with any system more than a few months. A little JKD here, a few dog brothers bruises there, some bodies in motion cardio kick boxing brewed up with the pathetic aping of the good old BJJ. The biggest belly laugh is these low level skill less wannabes hanging off of the formidable Gracie nut hairs claiming greatness via proxy. History has shown us its share of great tough men who go into the world and rip out a place in the sun. Then their spoiled children who knowing only the good life matriculate into useless spineless full of noise all bark no bite shadows of their progenitors.

I liked this post. :)

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 11:43 AM
There's no disconnect. Pretty much every single person in the "MMA" camp has stated categorically we completely agree with someone doing kung fu for non-fighting purposes.

We make fun of the people who extrapolate the non-fighting to the fighting.

What is the non-fighting that gets extrapolated to fighting? How is that done anyway? Am I to meditate someone else unconcious? lol, I don't think that is possible.

Can I qigong someone to death? Bleed them out with my lion dance skills?

I am not certain what it is you are referencing here.

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 11:48 AM
how do you know this construct is that old? Were you around centuries ago to see if the masters of old followed this path?

Again youre too eaisly influenced by myths and tall tales

I went to school, have access to libraries and over the years have culminated knowledge on the subject.

Having read many unrelated yet related to martial arts books you make the connections that way and ultimately will be able to speak to what is probable and what is not.

That's how I know the construct is that old without having to be around centuries ago.

May I suggest -the analects- / -the art of war- / -the tao te ching - / -Buddhism in China- / -the I Ching - / and more recently -The Shaolin Monastery - as some reading on the subject matter we are talking about here?

there are numerous books in english even in regards to this subject of morality, ethics, philosophy and martial arts

even in context to chop sockey flicks, you don't think those ideas were lifted quite often from what came before and then formatted into entertainment suitable to the spirit of the times it is created in?

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 11:50 AM
What is the non-fighting that gets extrapolated to fighting? How is that done anyway? Am I to meditate someone else unconcious? lol, I don't think that is possible.

Can I qigong someone to death? Bleed them out with my lion dance skills?

I am not certain what it is you are referencing here.

Extrapolating fighting techniques from forms.

Manipulating people without touching them.

Using too dangerous to practice techniques in place of proven ones.

Ripping someone's ribs out.

Etc

goju
11-03-2010, 11:55 AM
I went to school, have access to libraries and over the years have culminated knowledge on the subject.

Having read many unrelated yet related to martial arts books you make the connections that way and ultimately will be able to speak to what is probable and what is not.

That's how I know the construct is that old without having to be around centuries ago.

May I suggest -the analects- / -the art of war- / -the tao te ching - / -Buddhism in China- / -the I Ching - / and more recently -The Shaolin Monastery - as some reading on the subject matter we are talking about here?

there are numerous books in english even in regards to this subject of morality, ethics, philosophy and martial arts

even in context to chop sockey flicks, you don't think those ideas were lifted quite often from what came before and then formatted into entertainment suitable to the spirit of the times it is created in?

lol this is your proof? No again you have no idea how the masters of old conducted themselves. Yes for example buddishm existed in the country on a wide spread degree does that mean every one followed it or were even good buddhists for that matter?

NO

We might as well say every country was full of just noble defenders of peace of and virtue because their lands produced various philosophical texts arguing for or some form of enlightenment.:rolleyes:

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
lol this is your proof? No again you have no idea how the masters of old conducted themselves. Yes for example buddishm existed in the country on a wide spread degree does that mean every one followed it or were even good buddhists for that matter?

NO

We might as well say every country was full of just noble defenders of peace of and virtue because their lands produced various philosophical texts arguing for or some form of enlightenment.:rolleyes:

seriously, you need to study.

In order to understand the effect of Mahayana Buddhism for instance, it is important to understand how it was viewed in it's time and it was a huge departure from the typical form of Buddhism which preceded it and yes, it allowed for exposure of Buddhism to a much wider audience.

How is it that you think the masters of old conducted themselves? You seem to think you know by virtue of not knowing. A very interesting concept! :)

goju
11-03-2010, 12:08 PM
seriously, you need to study.

In order to understand the effect of Mahayana Buddhism for instance, it is important to understand how it was viewed in it's time and it was a huge departure from the typical form of Buddhism which preceded it and yes, it allowed for exposure of Buddhism to a much wider audience.

How is it that you think the masters of old conducted themselves? You seem to think you know by virtue of not knowing. A very interesting concept! :)

Study what? Folk tales that are passed on and distorted by each generation? Sorry it's common knowledge that various historical figures and events are romanticised and exaggerated. The further back in history you go the more this occurs so immediately taking the accounts of some master from hundreds of years ago as fact shows lack of of a cognizant thought process.

The same can be said of assuming that a religion being installed in a country automatically produces countless people of upstanding moral character. Again history has shown the opposite.:rolleyes:

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
This.

There is an inherent contradiction in posting about lofty ideals such as humility, honor and respect, then immediately proceeding to flame someone on another thread with profane insults, egotistical self promotion and outright threats.

An often over looked but no less vital part of 武得; the posting on public forums of pornography. Lots of pornography.

Oh you don't know me very well do you. You started talking sh!t to me and I told you to go f^ck yourself now you're panties are in a bunch?
Go practice your PRC Wu Shu:D

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Extrapolating fighting techniques from forms.

Using too dangerous to practice techniques in place of proven ones.

Ripping someone's ribs out.

Etc

You're so bad you rip your own ribs out and have lunch:rolleyes:

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 12:57 PM
You're so bad you rip your own ribs out and have lunch:rolleyes:

OK, so let me ask you a serious question:

When you see clips like the one where the guy was talking about doing that, are you embarrassed that someone would make a completely unsubstantiated claim like that for something that you have dedicated yourself to?

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Study what? Folk tales that are passed on and distorted by each generation? Sorry it's common knowledge that various historical figures and events are romanticised and exaggerated. The further back in history you go the more this occurs so immediately taking the accounts of some master from hundreds of years ago as fact shows lack of of a cognizant thought process.

The same can be said of assuming that a religion being installed in a country automatically produces countless people of upstanding moral character. Again history has shown the opposite.:rolleyes:

folk tales? no. historical treatises and works of ruminations related to the subject are much more enlightening on the matter than folk tales.

folk tales are all too often highly anecdotal or completely allegorical in scope and intent. so, they can provide insight in context to the here and now, or not, but not a lot beyond that.

However, records, compiled and formatted for understanding in context to the subject? Jackpot! And those are absolutely available to anyone who wants to look for them.

I never seek medical advice from a plumber, why should you? (allegory) :)

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 01:01 PM

When you see clips like the one where the guy was talking about doing that, are you embarrassed that someone would make a completely unsubstantiated claim like that for something that you have dedicated yourself to?

You don't think that was entertainment? I mean, the show is called "manswers" for cripes sake and it is developed to help 16 year old boys feel like they are in the know about the secrets of life. lol Also to humour older gents who can actually separate reality from the jibba jabba of juvenile musings.

come on. I mean, hahahahahahahahahahaha...really?

p.s what you said "that's fine" too is pretty much how I started training in Boxing, Karate and Kung Fu.

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 01:03 PM
You don't think that was entertainment? I mean, the show is called "manswers" for cripes sake and it is developed to help 16 year old boys feel like they are in the know about the secrets of life. lol Also to humour older gents who can actually separate reality from the jibba jabba of juvenile musings.

Doesn't matter who the audience is. I can't imagine a functional sport model fighter making that claim and not getting laughed at by the entire community as a fraud.

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Doesn't matter who the audience is. I can't imagine a functional sport model fighter making that claim and not getting laughed at by the entire community as a fraud.

The show is practically a cartoon and it was obviously a lark. I mean, who gets serious with spike TV?

lol

nevertheless, the entire community doesn't laugh at Mr.Lew. He is quite highly respected as a Kung Fu practitioner and teacher as far as I know. I am guessing that's probably why they asked him to talk to them anyway.

There is no bad publicity when you are already famous by the way. :)

p.s, what's a crotch ripper? :D

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Bro it's tv, scripted by people who know nothing about martial art. A smart man lucky enough to get that sort of work says the lines, acts the part and cashes the checks.
Reputation is everything. If someone says oh he's a great guy, great to work with, you keep getting work. Make waves, miss kissing some ass you're out. That's tv. They hire their friends and then force them to kickback 3/4s of their pay for getting them the job. They pimp their mothers and eat their young.

Am I embarrassed by his claims not one bit. I don't watch tv. I am not dedicated to what he does.

The only person representing me is me. Who am I? A daily practitioner....

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 01:24 PM
The show is practically a cartoon and it was obviously a lark. I mean, who gets serious with spike TV?

nevertheless, the entire community doesn't laugh at Mr.Lew. He is quite highly respected as a Kung Fu practitioner and teacher as far as I know. I am guessing that's probably why they asked him to talk to them anyway.

There is no bad publicity when you are already famous by the way. :)

Doesn't Spike have the Ultimate Fighter on? Do you think they would make statements like that. Do you think MMA people would start rationalizing a statement like that the way you are doing.

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Bro it's tv, scripted by people who know nothing about martial art. A smart man lucky enough to get that sort of work says the lines, acts the part and cashes the checks.
Reputation is everything. If someone says oh he's a great guy, great to work with, you keep getting work. Make waves, miss kissing some ass you're out. That's tv. They hire their friends and then force them to kickback 3/4s of their pay for getting them the job. They pimp their mothers and eat their young.

Am I embarrassed by his claims not one bit. I don't watch tv. I am not dedicated to what he does.

The only person representing me is me. Who am I? A daily practitioner....

Hmmm... you think it's OK to lie and make up stuff about kung fu on TV, yet you get upset here when people make statements about kung fu that you don't agree with.

Seems pretty contradictory to me.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Hmmm... you think it's OK to lie and make up stuff about kung fu on TV, yet you get upset here when people make statements about kung fu that you don't agree with.

Seems pretty contradictory to me.

So let me get this straight;
you've never seen an instance EVER where something on tv was lie:rolleyes:
Now you're blaming me for their institutionalized bullsh!t?

Dale put down the blunt and do a hit of oxygen:D

goju
11-03-2010, 01:32 PM
folk tales? no. historical treatises and works of ruminations related to the subject are much more enlightening on the matter than folk tales.

folk tales are all too often highly anecdotal or completely allegorical in scope and intent. so, they can provide insight in context to the here and now, or not, but not a lot beyond that.

However, records, compiled and formatted for understanding in context to the subject? Jackpot! And those are absolutely available to anyone who wants to look for them.

I never seek medical advice from a plumber, why should you? (allegory) :)

Aaaaaaand those records are clogged with mentions of bandits and an assortment of criminals as Bawang pointed out and you tried to excuse.:p In fact theres more mentions of that than the fairy tale saintly fu manchu sporting sifu you would like to imagine exsisted.

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
So let me get this straight;
you've never seen an instance EVER where something on tv was lie:rolleyes:
Now you're blaming me for their institutionalized bullsh!t?

Dale put down the blunt and do a hit of oxygen:D

The guy was obviously making stuff up. Somebody posted a clip of it and made fun of that clip. You offered to buy him a ticket to go visit the guy because you took offense with that.

Who should put down the blunt?

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Doesn't Spike have the Ultimate Fighter on? Do you think they would make statements like that. Do you think MMA people would start rationalizing a statement like that the way you are doing.

Martial art has ALWAYS BEEN MISREPRESENTED in the media. I never worry over anything out of my direct control.

Back to the real world this is how I learned and teach martial art.

VALUES AND PRINCIPLES

Teach the art to any one regardless of age, sex, race, color, or nationality who is willing to learn and have no motives to defame and disrupt the class or issues of the art for unethical and/or illegal purposes.

Spread the teachings of the art via the most efficient and economic means thereby reaching as many willing students as possible.

Present the martial arts in all aspects. i.e., as means for self-defense, sport, physical training, philosophy, entertainment, performance, science, health, healing, discipline, meditation, mental development, confidence building, sportsmanship, art, history, culture, etc.

Cultivate the martial arts as a vehicle for developing friendship, teamwork, communications and cooperation, and not as means for dominance, suppression, control and undue influence over others.

Present the art in its most realistic form refraining from trickery, myths, deceptions, and supernatural claims.

Produce students that appreciate and understand the martial arts but not necessarily be experts or champions.

Develop successors who can carry the responsibility of continuing and expanding the missions and principles of the class by proper teaching of the art and most important of all, the philosophy and ethics.

Continue to better the Northern Shaolim style of martial arts via the processes of actual practice and applications of the teachings leading to re-evaluation, discovery, and understanding.

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 01:38 PM
BTW, didn't this thread start with you arguing for morality and integrity coming from TMA's and being destroyed by MMA.

Yet, it's OK to lie and make stuff up for kids watching Spike TV who probably don't know any better?

Doesn't sound so moral to me.

wenshu
11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Oh you don't know me very well do you. You started talking sh!t to me and I told you to go f^ck yourself now you're panties are in a bunch?
Go practice your PRC Wu Shu:D

I was referring to your apoplectic histrionics with another member on another thread.

Not the name dropping bull**** you tried to pull in PM.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 01:42 PM
The guy was obviously making stuff up. Somebody posted a clip of it and made fun of that clip. You offered to buy him a ticket to go visit the guy because you took offense with that.

Who should put down the blunt?

You're missing something;
DB and I tease and flame one another in an ongoing relationship of mutual contempt;)
I offered to buy him a ticket so I might meet him and punish him with redbelly redbelly redbelly and noogies:D

Why so serious leg humper?:p

pateticorecords
11-03-2010, 01:43 PM
The cross road on the path in a life of martial art is where one either chooses to focus on brawn and brute force emphasizing “what works” driven by ruthless intent void of the very concept of compassion.

These men are strong and formidable until suddenly as they age (badly) they develop back problems, hair loss, knee problems, mental illness, post traumatic stress syndrome. internal disfunction, liver cancer, followed by sudden chronic dispersion of muscular energy, deterioration of mental function followed by death.

At this same cross road there is the choice of self cultivation via martial art. Regimen of meditation, flexibility maintenance, internal cultivation, conscious exercise in breath control, healing arts, self reflection, music studies, writing, poetry, deductive reasoning, self reflection coupled with consistent daily martial cultivation in open hand and weapons. A vast majority of these people radiate health, are calm, kind, skilled and refined in combat as the radiate compassion and empathy.

Naturally both these examples are broad generalizations in the big picture yet I can bare witness to many friends and class mates who are healthy active fighters at 60, 70, 80 and 90+. A dear friend dedicated to martial art and yoga passed recently at 94. Very flexible and moved with energy and steadiness.

Getting to my point:
One of the sad things about this forum IMHO is a lack of respect in our exchanges with one another. Yes there are trolls, comedians and trouble makers that are outnumbered by gentleman practitioners and enthusiasts.

As much as we disagree in discussion we all gather here because of our common interest in martial art. No matter what system you practice, if you have any type of skill it did not come easy. This is our bond of commonality. We can all relate from our shared experience of bitter work on the path to skill.

Respect?
Wu De translates as a Martial Code of Conduct.

Wu De is the Chinese martial arts code of appropriate social interaction. Ethics and etiquette is ingrained not only in the culture of China but also pervades throughout the philosophy that holds the society together.

There are five points in Wu De: Respect, Humility, Trust, Virtue, and Honor.

Respect (Zun Jing; 尊敬)
The term respect means to acknowledge the feelings and interests of another in a relationship and treating the other at a standard that rules out selfish behavior. Respect is derived not by behavior but by one's attitude. Respect is appreciated as demonstrating a sense of worth or value of a person, a personal quality or ability. In martial arts, respect is the cornerstone of all the teachings of martial arts. In regards to Wu De, respect begins with the individual and manifests outward meaning that those who respect themselves as well as others will, in turn, be respected. Respect must be earned as well as displayed. This is why we bow and why we use titles.

Humility (Qian Xu; 谦逊)

The term humility is the quality or characteristic of a person that is unpretentious and modest. Humility comes with controlling ones pride and ego. Pride and ego are the killers of good martial arts and good character. When we allow our own pride and ego to infiltrate our rational judgment we start to make decisions based on self-pride and not solid facts. When your ego and pride take over you will become satisfied with yourself and stop thinking deeply. Try daily to display humility in everything you do. Train for yourself and not the title or color around your waist. Keep your cup of tea empty allowing yourself to always learn.
"The taller the bamboo grows, the lower it bows." - Chinese Proverb

Trust (Xin Yong: 信用)

Who do you trust? Do people trust you? Trust is the belief that a person is of good character and will seek to fulfill promises, policies, ethical codes, and the law. In martial arts, we make a promise to ourselves, the school, and the teacher. When starting a school or job there are underlying trusts that both parties expect to have in place such as safety, compensation, and knowing what is in each others best interest. In martial arts it is a breach of trust to ask for more knowledge from the instructor. Excessive questioning suggests that the student knows the material well enough to advance. Advancing is at the discretion of the instructor, not the student.
Understand that sometimes routine instruction is for your own good as it allows you to become proficient at the art. Trust the path you take is the right one. At times instruction may seem to contradict itself. Know that perceived contradiction is one-dimensional. The instruction you receive is designed to help you navigate the correct concepts of the art.

Honor (Rong Yu; 榮譽)

Martial art has many strong connections to honor. We honor our art, ourselves, and our ancestors by showing loyalty and having the will to train while simultaneously maintaining wisdom about our training. To give loyalty is to honor the art through belief in the practices and wisdom of the people that have lived and died in perfecting the art so that it could be passed on to future generations. We should honor the people who came before us not because they were all superior but rather as Sir Isaac Newton said: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
Virtue (Dao De; 道德)

The idea of virtue in Chinese thought pertains to the notion of character. Framework for this concept is given through the four classical virtues of; temperance, prudence, courage, and justice.

Temperance is moderation. When we engage in any activity we should approach it with moderation in order to maintain rationality and balance in every facet of our world. Martial arts will enrich our life, not necessarily consume it. One of the goals in martial arts is to take the knowledge and self-discovery from the training hall and apply its principles to daily life.

Prudence is the act of having sound judgment over all ones affairs in life. In life it is prudent to look at situations that manifest and show wisdom and insight by drawing on facts, knowledge, and experience. It is ideal to be mindful and weigh the outcome of any action.

Courage is the ability to act when confronted by fear. Fear can be physical and mental. The former entails being frightened by the environment, a person, or a thing. The latter concerns mainly a fear of failure. With martial arts one can move through life with courage by accepting its challenges and not being tied down by fear.
The notion of Justice has been debated for over 2500 years. A wise master asks that the individual applies justice by reviewing the facts, the research,and then taking the course of action that he/she knows within their heart as correct.
Justice combines all virtues and components of Wu De into one application. To apply Wu De in our everyday life is being just. As martial artists we should hold ourselves to a very high standard of character.
Lao Shi Yungeberg

I apologize for my playful jabs at some of the most obnoxious in our group but I hope these words may act as a catalyst guide toward a more harmonious interacting in our discussions?

Peace

PS
I predict this post will naturally be followed by a brigade of morons posting absolute nonsense unrelated to the original post....

Beautiful... my thoughts exactly...

in 20-30 years we will see how they deal with being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease from all the head trauma...
while they are are shaking through their latter years I will be doing my forms in the mountains:rolleyes:

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I was referring to your apoplectic histrionics with another member on another thread.

Yea it's called irony a tool often used in high comedy.
Almost always slips by smart as sed pea brains like yourself.
Everyone here knows you live with your mom:rolleyes:

http://olbroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/goofy.gif

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Aaaaaaand those records are clogged with mentions of bandits and an assortment of criminals as Bawang pointed out and you tried to excuse.:p In fact theres more mentions of that than the fairy tale saintly fu manchu sporting sifu you would like to imagine exsisted.

No, no they aren't.

Bawang mentioned 3 books. I haven't read them, but I am sure they do not attribute complex martial arts systems to mere thugs.

violence inflicted on others doesn't equal martial arts. Perhaps that's where the disconnect is.

there is in fact, a training manual and treatise from the early 1500's (1521 i think) from Shaolin about use of the Staff (gwun). that is highly praised by a well known general of the era.

This is actually a cool chapter in Meir Sharars book "The Shaolin Monastery".

In ch'an, there is a lot of material that regards human conflict on a physical level. Of course, tehre aren't a lot of books about it, but ch'an (zen) is a treasure accredited to the Shaolin Temple as far as it's creation and development go before being spread out into the world and to this day included iwth martial arts training of several stripes.

There are plenty of manuals regarding all sorts of kung fu styles that go back way before the formation of PRC competitive wushu.

And of course, as there is a lot of oral tradition in chinese martial arts, house records are not always out there in the public.

criminals commit violence. Kung Fu is not created by the antithesis of itself.

You see why that seems so ridiculous to put forth?

I think Bawang has trolled your core beliefs. lol

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 01:52 PM

The ultimate fighter? You mean the delinquents that rub one off on each others pillows, spit in each others coffee, cry about how hard it is to do what they are doing and the occasional useful bits coming from the guys hired to train the current batch of wannabes?

really? you don't take that seriously do you? Because it is also cartoons really designed again for 16 year old mentalities.

you don't really watch that stuff do you? It's like big brother, but occasionally has some fighting in the octagon on it.

completely different bag of apples. How about that fight science show they do or ninja vs spartan garbage.

it's tv dude. you gotta chill when it comes to tv. it means nothing. :)

Violent Designs
11-03-2010, 01:52 PM
My sifu only teaches the fighting aspect and we don't ever talk about wu de or martial philosophy or ethics.

There is some talk of "personal conduct" in representing the school and not letting it lose face, not being an arrogant SOB in general but that is about it.

Everything else is oriented for combat training.

Well, sucks to be me.

Since according to Jamieson's worldview I don't have the "real kung fu." :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 01:55 PM
My sifu only teaches the fighting aspect and we don't ever talk about wu de or martial philosophy or ethics.

There is some talk of "personal conduct" in representing the school and not letting it lose face, not being an arrogant SOB in general but that is about it.

Everything else is oriented for combat training.

Well, sucks to be me.

Since according to Jamieson's worldview I don't have the "real kung fu." :rolleyes:

well, it would appear that you don't understand that your teacher giving you a lesson about personal conduct and not being an arrogant sob in general IS A LESSON IN WU DE.

Just because it's said in a different language doesn't make the teaching different.

You are being advised of correct "martial ethic/virtue" or wu de.

That fact that you don't understand it as such tells me that I am not so far off in what you are rolling your eyes about. :)

Violent Designs
11-03-2010, 01:57 PM
well, it would appear that you don't understand that your teacher giving you a lesson about personal conduct and not being an arrogant sob in general IS A LESSON IN WU DE.

Just because it's said in a different language doesn't make the teaching different.

You are being advised of correct "martial ethic/virtue" or wu de.

That fact that you don't understand it as such tells me that I am not so far off in what you are rolling your eyes about. :)

No, not being an arrogant SOB may be a small aspect of Wu De but it doesn't encompass everything of Wu De.

Stop arguing semantics with me because it's pointless.

I am highlighting the point that talk of Wu De is NOT emphasized at my gwoon.

pateticorecords
11-03-2010, 02:03 PM
the martial arts aim to develop: Body, Mind and Spirit. These three aspects must be developed in balance for a person to become properly balanced as a martial artist and therefore as a person.

Wildwoo
11-03-2010, 02:03 PM

You should meet him and say something really disrespectful he likes that.

Wildwoo
11-03-2010, 02:05 PM

You are bordering on copyright infringement here:mad:

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
No, not being an arrogant SOB may be a small aspect of Wu De but it doesn't encompass everything of Wu De.

Stop arguing semantics with me because it's pointless.

I am highlighting the point that talk of Wu De is NOT emphasized at my gwoon.

You just wrote that it was. lol.

Do you think Kung Fu clubs that expect wu de from their students sit down and do droning lectures on it? lol.

No. It's more or less delivered the same way as your teacher has delievered it to you. IE: remember, don't be a jerk just because you're stronger, etc.

I'm not arguing semantics, I'm saying that your argument defeated itself when you made that statement that was in contradiction to your little rant about martial ethics.

Your teacher does expect it of you by your own telling. Cross the line and see if you can stay I guess?

YouKnowWho
11-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Wu De.

There is only "coach-students" relatonship in modern MA. The coach has little or no influence to his students. In China, the Ching gang is "teacher-students" relationship. It's very easy for a teacher to control his students. The Hong gang is "brother-brother" relationship. It's very hard to control your brothers. This was why in the ancient time, you had to join in the Ching gang first before you can join in the Hong gang.

goju
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
No, no they aren't.

uh yeah they are. Hell how many of the shaolin monks were originally criminals? the temple itself has been notoriously corrupt through out history.

but of course lets ignore facts again for the sake of this imaginary wude code you wish to believed was practiced.

pateticorecords
11-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Respect for all martial systems, their instructors and constituents in the spirit of humility and martial brotherhood.

CHOY LAY FUT

RULES:
DAK-SEE = LEARN FROM A GOOD TEACHER

FOO-LIN =PRACTICE HARD

YEO-DON-TAO-SAO-BOT-SIN = DON’T CAUSE TROUBLE. BECAUSE MARTIAL ARTS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HUMBLE.

JIT-SEK = DON’T HAVE SEX (SHAOLIN) CONTROL YOUR SEX (OTHERS)

BO-SIK = EAT RIGHT, GOOD FOOD.

YEU-HUNG-A-BILL-DA-LAK (“Lake”)= REDIRECT OPPONENTS FORCE BACK TO HIM. USE HIS FORCE TO HIS FORCE.

HAY-CHEUM = BREATHING AND CHI, INTERNAL DEVELOPMENT.

FAT-HURM = USE THE SOUNDS (SIK,YIK, DIK,DIT, AND WAH)

DIK-THONG-KAY-LOY-BUT-YONG = DO YOUR BEST TO WIN. IF YOU HAVE TO FIGHT, GO ALL THE WAY. NO HALFING IT! – TO THE END! BEST DEFENSE IS OFFENSE! IF YOU ARE NICE TO YOUR ENEMY, YOU ARE MEAN TO YOURSELF.

YEU-YUT-GAU-DOLL-MO-TOY-BOT-DONG= PRACTICE FOR A LONG TIME , YOU ARE STRONG, NO ONE CAN PUSH YOU AROUND. NEVER QUIT!

THE CODE OF THE HWARANG

1. Be loyal to your country.

2. Be obedient to your parents.

3. Have faith and honor among friends.

4. Perseverance in battle.

5. Justice --- never cause unneeded harm.

THE NINE VIRTUES OF THE HWARANG

Hi (Humanity) Sum (Goodness)

Oui (Justice) Duk (Virtue)

Yeh (Courtesy) Chung (Loyalty)

Ji (Wisdom) Yong (Courage)

Sin (Trust)

TENETS OF TAEKWONDO

Courtesy

Integrity

Perseverance

Self-Control

Indomitable Spirit

TAEKWONDO STUDENT OATH

1. I shall obey the Tenets of Taekwondo.

2. I shall obey my Instructor and senior students.

3. I shall never misuse Taekwondo

4. I will be a champion of freedom and injustice.

5. I will help build a more peaceful world.

Tenets of Kung Fu
Motivation: have the desire to succeed
Confidence: believe in yourself
Discipline: follow directions
Perseverance: keep working for what you believe in despite hardship
Respect: willing to respect yourself and others
Community: caring for and being positive with others
Righteousness: do the right thing
Tolerance: do not allow emotions to overflow and affect character

NAM PAI CHUAN
PRECEPTS AND TENETS
Revere your ancestor
Respect your guide
Train with your mind
Strengthen the will
Centre your energy
Focus on reality
Act with earnestness
Covet nothing
Subdue the I
Behave with fortitude
Approach with innocence
Ever hope
Life is death
Death is life
Teach the deserving
Teach with passion
Learn always
Assume nothing

wenshu
11-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Did they teach you about irony on the set of Power Rangers? Or was it VR Troopers?

You're too accustomed to intimidating sycophantic Avatar cosplayers at Comic Con.

Leave my mom out of this. She's a beautiful woman.

http://s48.radikal.ru/i120/1009/14/623e6091639f.jpg

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 02:12 PM

Etc

I manipulate you without touching you all the time.
Keep that sticky sh!t to yourself though.....

pateticorecords
11-03-2010, 02:19 PM
The only one I have an issue with is JIT-SEK = DON’T HAVE SEX (SHAOLIN) CONTROL YOUR SEX (OTHERS)

I like sex waaaayyyy tooo much to give it up:D

Respect for all martial systems, their instructors and constituents in the spirit of humility and martial brotherhood.

CHOY LAY FUT

RULES:
DAK-SEE = LEARN FROM A GOOD TEACHER

FOO-LIN =PRACTICE HARD

YEO-DON-TAO-SAO-BOT-SIN = DON’T CAUSE TROUBLE. BECAUSE MARTIAL ARTS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HUMBLE.

JIT-SEK = DON’T HAVE SEX (SHAOLIN) CONTROL YOUR SEX (OTHERS)

BO-SIK = EAT RIGHT, GOOD FOOD.

YEU-HUNG-A-BILL-DA-LAK (“Lake”)= REDIRECT OPPONENTS FORCE BACK TO HIM. USE HIS FORCE TO HIS FORCE.

HAY-CHEUM = BREATHING AND CHI, INTERNAL DEVELOPMENT.

FAT-HURM = USE THE SOUNDS (SIK,YIK, DIK,DIT, AND WAH)

DIK-THONG-KAY-LOY-BUT-YONG = DO YOUR BEST TO WIN. IF YOU HAVE TO FIGHT, GO ALL THE WAY. NO HALFING IT! – TO THE END! BEST DEFENSE IS OFFENSE! IF YOU ARE NICE TO YOUR ENEMY, YOU ARE MEAN TO YOURSELF.

YEU-YUT-GAU-DOLL-MO-TOY-BOT-DONG= PRACTICE FOR A LONG TIME , YOU ARE STRONG, NO ONE CAN PUSH YOU AROUND. NEVER QUIT!

THE CODE OF THE HWARANG

1. Be loyal to your country.

2. Be obedient to your parents.

3. Have faith and honor among friends.

4. Perseverance in battle.

5. Justice --- never cause unneeded harm.

THE NINE VIRTUES OF THE HWARANG

Hi (Humanity) Sum (Goodness)

Oui (Justice) Duk (Virtue)

Yeh (Courtesy) Chung (Loyalty)

Ji (Wisdom) Yong (Courage)

Sin (Trust)

TENETS OF TAEKWONDO

Courtesy

Integrity

Perseverance

Self-Control

Indomitable Spirit

TAEKWONDO STUDENT OATH

1. I shall obey the Tenets of Taekwondo.

2. I shall obey my Instructor and senior students.

3. I shall never misuse Taekwondo

4. I will be a champion of freedom and injustice.

5. I will help build a more peaceful world.

Tenets of Kung Fu
Motivation: have the desire to succeed
Confidence: believe in yourself
Discipline: follow directions
Perseverance: keep working for what you believe in despite hardship
Respect: willing to respect yourself and others
Community: caring for and being positive with others
Righteousness: do the right thing
Tolerance: do not allow emotions to overflow and affect character

NAM PAI CHUAN
PRECEPTS AND TENETS
Revere your ancestor
Respect your guide
Train with your mind
Strengthen the will
Centre your energy
Focus on reality
Act with earnestness
Covet nothing
Subdue the I
Behave with fortitude
Approach with innocence
Ever hope
Life is death
Death is life
Teach the deserving
Teach with passion
Learn always
Assume nothing

Violent Designs
11-03-2010, 02:36 PM
How's it going Tom?

Didn't know you were on here.

KC Elbows
11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
ANY gtood teacher in ANY martial art has serious misgivings about teaching sociopaths.

Violent Designs
11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
ANY gtood teacher in ANY martial art has serious misgivings about teaching sociopaths.

Well, that would depend if the sociopath is hot or not.

Lucas
11-03-2010, 02:47 PM
but how do you know someone is a sociopath? is there a sociopathtest? are they like pregnancy tests?

Violent Designs
11-03-2010, 02:51 PM
but how do you know someone is a sociopath? is there a sociopathtest? are they like pregnancy tests?

yeah there are tests for example

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?obj_id=152610

KC Elbows
11-03-2010, 02:55 PM
They don't like teaching Lucas, either. He likes being choked out a little too much, if you know what I mean.

Lucas
11-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Man thats why I stay away from hotel closets in Thailand...

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Did they teach you about irony on the set of Power Rangers? Or was it VR Troopers?

You're too accustomed to intimidating sycophantic Avatar cosplayers at Comic Con.

The best you can come up with is making fun of the dumb Hollywood sh!t that I got paid WELL for?

Do you think you are injuring me or something because you might be one less little member in my fan club?
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/8/128889199970254649.jpg

Tell you what.

Let me know when you'll be at Xu's place and I'll stop by for a visit and you can feel free to spout your pathetic drivel to my face as opposed to from the safety and comfort of your bedroom on your speed racer sheets next to your Pokemon posters. you talk about me being intimidating after you've come on several of my threads talking sh!t to me when I had never had conversation ONE with you. What you thought because you saw me on tv I'd just roll over for you? ROTFLMFAO!
http://i45.tinypic.com/ka3eci.gif
DISCLAIMER: NO THREAT INTENDED/ HE'S NOT ANGRY

Something that you little internet kung fu masters don't get is although I aspire to a higher self and post poetic prose for your amusement, mind expansion and entertainment I have practiced martial art my entire life (longer that your midget "Wu Shu Monk "teacher has been alive) and I'm good at it.

Ask Xu what happened the time he tried to knock me over LOL!

I'd rather make friends and build bonds but I have no problem with the abstract concept of slapping the wet from behind your baby pink ears Sally.
I'm a veteren with this forum crap. I say something "lofty" or "spiritual" and you'll hold that over my head while you peck and make fun at my expense?

Nope.

Here homie dinner is on me.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/lokhopkuen/faots.jpg

Lucas
11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
omg that was funny

i dont take sides but ya that was funny ****

Hardwork108
11-03-2010, 03:13 PM

One way is to read their posts in forums such as this one...:D

EarthDragon
11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
lokhop,
thank you for your insites and I totaly enjoy reading your posts, however the bad thing is it falls on deaf ears.

frost, knifeifighter mysterious power and a few other idiots are the cancer and disease of this forum. They have been rejected and humiliated in the real world so they have made thier home here, why? I dont know its not the palce for them it is remember a kung fu forum not a MMA board......... I say charge them rent or evict them.

Perhaps we should have a annual meeting in one of our schools of all the forum members so we can say these things face to face and see who the real tough guys are...

Dale Dugas
11-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Brother Kisu,

You have taken the words out of my mouth.

I love you brother and will always stand at your side proudly.

The rest of the fools can do and say what they want.

Unlike them, I stand up and invite any and all to come visit me as my door is always open.

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 03:25 PM
lokhop,
thank you for your insites and I totaly enjoy reading your posts, however the bad thing is it falls on deaf ears.

frost, knifeifighter mysterious power and a few other idiots are the cancer and disease of this forum. They have been rejected and humiliated in the real world so they have made thier home here, why? I dont know its not the palce for them it is remember a kung fu forum not a MMA board......... I say charge them rent or evict them.

Perhaps we should have a annual meeting in one of our schools of all the forum members so we can say these things face to face and see who the real tough guys are...

so..no dim sum and tea then? :(

:p

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
lokhop,

Thank you Sir.
frost, n knifeifighter actually raise many valid points. They like me could benefit from the use of diplomacy. mysterious power on the other hand is off sniffing glue or paint or something...

Lucas
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
credit where credits due is a good policy, if only it were a universal way of thought.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Brother Kisu,

You have taken the words out of my mouth.

I love you brother and will always stand at your side proudly.

The rest of the fools can do and say what they want.

Unlike them, my door is always open.

I'll spank the bad ones an leave the lightweight to you brother Dale.
These fools better recognize! LMAO!

(The people over on the "nice forums" are a flutter that I'm showing my ass again:D)
No PM from Gene so I'm good to go.:rolleyes:

wenshu
11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
The best you can come up with is making fun of the dumb Hollywood sh!t that I got paid WELL for?

Do you think you are injuring me or something because you might be one less little member in my fan club?

Tell you what.

Let me know when you'll be at Xu's place and I'll stop by for a visit and you can feel free to spout your pathetic drivel to my face as opposed to from the safety and comfort of your bedroom on your speed racer sheets next to your Pokemon posters. you talk about me being intimidating after you've come on several of my threads talking sh!t to me when I had never had conversation ONE with you. What you thought because you saw me on tv I'd just roll over for you? ROTFLMFAO!

Something that you little internet kung fu masters don't get is although I aspire to a higher self and post poetic prose for your amusement, mind expansion and entertainment I have practiced martial art my entire life (longer that your midget "Wu Shu Monk "teacher has been alive) and I'm good at it.

Ask Xu what happened the time he tried to knock me over LOL!

I'd rather make friends and build bonds but I have no problem with the abstract concept of slapping the wet from behind your baby pink ears Sally.
I'm a veteren with this forum crap. I say something "lofty" or "spiritual" and you'll hold that over my head while you peck and make fun at my expense?

Nope.

Here homie dinner is on me.

Why are you so sensitive? Must have struck a nerve, you seem really angry.

You can hurl invective at me all you want, make veiled threats, insult my shifu and friend. I don't really care; I find it rather amusing actually.

I actually complimented your original post after I pointed out the glaring inconsistency. Then you began with the threats and profanity.

Let me know when you'll be at Xu's place and I'll stop by for a visit and you can feel free to spout your pathetic drivel to my face as opposed to from the safety and comfort of your bedroom on your speed racer sheets next to your Pokemon posters. you talk about me being intimidating after you've come on several of my threads talking sh!t to me when I had never had conversation ONE with you.

Like I said, you spend so much time on anime forums arguing with children, you assume everyone is.

If we do see each other you can feel free to call me a f@ggot to my face. See if I give a sh it.

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 03:50 PM
uh yeah they are. Hell how many of the shaolin monks were originally criminals? the temple itself has been notoriously corrupt through out history.

but of course lets ignore facts again for the sake of this imaginary wude code you wish to believed was practiced.

lol. really?

Shaolin is 1500+ years old. I have no doubt whatsoever that the institution has seen much of what human experience and condition has to show and tell.

How many franciscan monks were criminals originally? How many Catholic priests are criminals?

If the wu de codes, garnered not only from religion, but as well from formal social ethics are "imaginary", why do these guys post so many variations on that theme?

And, what is "real" in regards to any human endeavour?

EarthDragon
11-03-2010, 03:52 PM
lok

frost, n knifeifighter actually raise many valid points.

I disagree, knifefighter thinks that no one but he has faught resisting opponents, adn unless you know MMA you dont know how to fight. and TMCA dotn work.
He also will never agree with ANYONE or be polite in any fashion on here or say for a second... I see your point or I can see where your coming from. Its his narrow mindedness or nothing...

Frost on the other hand just told the forum on the "columbian thread" that martial artists should wear boxing gloves.. LOL I kid you not!

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
lok

I disagree, knifefighter thinks that no one but he has faught resisting opponents, adn unless you know MMA you dont know how to fight. and TMCA dotn work.
He also will never agree with ANYONE or be polite in any fashion on here or say for a second... I see your point or I can see where your coming from. Its his narrow mindedness or nothing...

LOL @ the guy who doesn't read my posts commenting on what I think.

Pretty typical.

Frost on the other hand just told the forum on the "columbian thread" that martial artists should wear boxing gloves.. LOL I kid you not!

That would be a good point that he made. MMA fighters who don't fight with boxing gloves train with them because it's the most effective way to train punching.

GeneChing
11-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Man, if I started PMing everyone around here, I'd have no time to publish a magazine. :rolleyes:

Martial codes like wude or bushido are necessary to keep warriors and fighters socially acceptable. It has always been so. And there have always been those that disregard codes. Now with the internet, it's so much easier to talk smack because we're all way out of arm's reach of each other. Nevertheless the forum record shows, mostly because few people have decent writing skills. The level of character is painfully translucent.

EarthDragon
11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
gene,
is it possible we could just have a full time moderator to keep personal insults, attacks on other memers themselves, their familes and pornography of this site? it would make it a more pleasnt experiance for all.

GeneChing
11-03-2010, 04:10 PM
There's some of us here who talk a lot of smack just because that's what martial artists do. It's in fun and you can those of us who roll with it and talk smack back. I'm totally okay with that, personally. Then there are the trolls. That's tough to sort out without being totally biased.

I could start banning everyone.

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 04:16 PM
SHut it down like the Marijuana legalization law!!!!!!!!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RyLXU4GPzEk/Ru8JxC3R9RI/AAAAAAAAA_I/96KHL6Y56fQ/s400/shut_it_down.gif

EarthDragon
11-03-2010, 04:16 PM
LOL good point, perhaps you could tell the trpouble makers to raise thier hands or form a single file line?

that or we can just email you the list of people to place on temporary suspension. adn the memeber with most votes get suspended.....;) it works for electing presidents.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Why are you so sensitive? Must have struck a nerve, you seem really angry.

You can hurl invective at me all you want, make veiled threats, insult my shifu and friend. I don't really care; I find it rather amusing actually.

I actually complimented your original post after I pointed out the glaring inconsistency. Then you began with the threats and profanity.

Like I said, you spend so much time on anime forums arguing with children, you assume everyone is.

If we do see each other you can feel free to call me a f@ggot to my face. See if I give a sh it.

You care a great deal since you started this and keep coming back to pick more sh!twith what you think are emotionally loaded antagonizing barbs:

anime forums arguing with children

Delusional:rolleyes:
No i worked in hot a ss ed costumes to support my family doing ANYTHING to stay on the shows.
No I was paid to go there to film a documentary about a show I work on (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/06/last-airbender-dvd-box/comment-page-2/). The weren't intimidated when i chilled with them, taught the Kung fu to help their cosplay and answered their questions about their favorite show ya moron:p

Sensitive? I'm ripping you a new a ss hole each time you post. Angry? Ha ha ha! Please! I'm just having fun clowning your dumb ass:D Threats? You feel threatened because you ARE WRONG:rolleyes:

For all your fresh outta school online thesaurus vocabulary swordchuck you aren't very smart are you? I've met your type so many times in life. You're some fanboy that decided to come here and bait me so that you might repost on a fan forum and hurt my popularityBig frickin Deal pinhead. I'm not an actor I am a martial art teacher that consults for tv.

Tell me are you a Zutarian or a Kataang?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Repost that sweetie after you dab away the tears:(

goju
11-03-2010, 04:30 PM
lol. really?

Shaolin is 1500+ years old. I have no doubt whatsoever that the institution has seen much of what human experience and condition has to show and tell.

How many franciscan monks were criminals originally? How many Catholic priests are criminals?

If the wu de codes, garnered not only from religion, but as well from formal social ethics are "imaginary", why do these guys post so many variations on that theme?

And, what is "real" in regards to any human endeavour?

I have a better question for you. If these morals virtues were so in place then how come virtually everyone but you has noted that kung fu masters are often the exact opposite of what you wish to portray them as?

we have people here who have studied with various masters in various places around the world and in some cases we have guys like ross who have studied with a golden treasure of chinese kung fu and what do we all find? The masters character is almost the exact opposite of what this mythical code instills.

B-b-b-but how is this so if this code was held in sich high regard then the previous generations would have passed it down to to the current one! :eek:

Cue half assed excuse in 3.2,1.....

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
There's some of us here who talk a lot of smack just because that's what martial artists do. It's in fun and you can those of us who roll with it and talk smack back. I'm totally okay with that, personally. Then there are the trolls. That's tough to sort out without being totally biased.

I could start banning everyone.

Ban me and my legions of troll warriors shall avenge me!!!!!!!

Humble Servant
11-03-2010, 04:36 PM
As you might imagine from my username, I completely agree with the OP here. A couple comments:

1. We are talking about developing character here. There are many ways to develop character, including from your parents, close relatives or friends. You can also learn character from your martial arts instructor. Kung fu, albeit informally sometimes, stresses that developing inner character and will is important to developing the control and state of mind necessary to achieve the goals of a traditional martial art -- one of which is to defend oneself.

2. The development of character from traditional martial arts can affect not only how you fight but also how you interact with others in non-martial situations. (e.g., on this thread.) That's part of the OP's point, which I completely agree with.

3. Why would developing character ever be a bad thing? Perhaps some of you think your fighting skills are to take advantage of others? Why would you want others that are more skilled and powerful than yourselves to take advantage of YOU?

4. Sometimes the best response to a threatening situation is to avoid or deflect it altogether. It takes inner character and will to do such a thing. Any practicioner of martial arts should know this. Developing that inner character to know when and how to avoid a fight or threatening situation is ABSOLUTELY part of traditional martial arts. It's the opposite of what the blokes on Jersey Shore tend to do, where any imagined insult deserves a good decking. A good sifu knows that teaching students more effective and powerful strikes develops more potential for harm. With that knowledge comes responsibility. With that responsibility comes character and respect for one another.

5. Lots of other study or training involves a code of conduct or character to uphold. For example, the U.S. armed forces each adopt a specific code of honor, discipline, respect and ethics that they agree to uphold.

6. Haven't you ever heard anyone say "it builds character?" I guess only those old enough would know such a saying.

7. More than half of the people reading this will have no idea what I'm talking about. Fair enough. I can't assume you have been taught (or that you accepted) a moral code of conduct.

Cheers!

(glad to be part of this forum)

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 04:39 PM
I have a better question for you. If these morals virtues were so in place then how come virtually everyone but you has noted that kung fu masters are often the exact opposite of what you wish to portray them as?

we have people here who have studied with various masters in various places around the world and in some cases we have guys like ross who have studied with a golden treasure of chinese kung fu and what do we all find? The masters character is almost the exact opposite of what this mythical code instills.

B-b-b-but how is this so if this code was held in sich high regard then the previous generations would have passed it down to to the current one! :eek:

Cue half assed excuse in 3.2,1.....

I'm no master just a daily practitioner.

Don't you love it how people who are not masters of ANYTHING have this cristal vision of what a master is s'possed to be:rolleyes:

Nearly all of the most extraordinary gung fu teachers I have ever met had several key traits in common.
Vulgar
Rowdy
Horney.

The only exception is my Sifu who is a saint.

goju
11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm no master just a daily practitioner.

Don't you love it how people who are not masters of ANYTHING have this cristal vision of what a master is s'possed to be:rolleyes:

Nearly all of the most extraordinary gung fu teachers I have ever met had several key traits in common.
Vulgar
Rowdy
Horney.

The only exception is my Sifu who is a saint.

LOL

thats because they didnt know the real kung fu!

they probably knew karate and werent even chinese!:mad::D

Yum Cha
11-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Goju,

The way I understand, is that Temples were sanctuary. Lots of crims, toughs and revolutionaries needed sanctuary. The Pious welcomed them, and to some extent their teaching took hold.

This wasn't just Shaolin, it was any temple. Shaolin became a centre for revolution...

Not a big believer in the pious fighting monk myself...

Also,
Cultured Chinese wouldn't stoop to physical activity like this, they might break the little fingernail, or get suntanned. They hired ruffians as required. But one step above a stevedore.

Soldiers were a couple rungs up, but still pretty low. Generals counted, because they were dangerous.

And we all know about the origin of the triads.

Naaaa, this is low stuff....

wenshu
11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
You care a great deal since you started this and keep coming back to pick more sh!twith what you think are emotionally loaded antagonizing barbs:

No i worked in hot a ss ed costumes to support my family doing ANYTHING to stay on the shows.
No I was paid to go there to film a documentary about a show I work on (http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/06/last-airbender-dvd-box/comment-page-2/). The weren't intimidated when i chilled with them, taught the Kung fu to help their cosplay and answered their questions about their favorite show ya moron:p

Sensitive? I'm ripping you a new a ss hole each time you post. Angry? Ha ha ha! Please! I'm just having fun clowning your dumb ass:D Threats? You feel threatened because you ARE WRONG:rolleyes:

For all your fresh outta school online thesaurus vocabulary swordchuck you aren't very smart are you? I've met your type so many times in life. You're some fanboy that decided to come here and bait me so that you might repost on a fan forum and hurt my popularityBig frickin Deal pinhead. I'm not an actor I am a martial art teacher that consults for tv.

Ok, seriously. This little flamewar of ours just went off the deep end.

You f u c k ing lost me.

What the f u c k are you talking about?

then:

I don't know what that is. I'm a little old to watch anime.

Stop yelling.

goju
11-03-2010, 04:56 PM
i mean yeah im aware of wude and all the martial code stuff but preaching it and living it are two different things

most merely do the former few do the latter.

bawang
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Shaolin is 1500+ years old.
shaolin boxing is about 500 years old. shaolin stick fighting is slightly older

How many Catholic priests are criminals?

all of them

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 05:00 PM
You should meet him and say something really disrespectful he likes that.

i see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree:rolleyes:

Mr. Lok

you set these lofty principals in one line and then throw threats about face to face show downs the next for someone not agreeing with you...Hypocrit

funny the one guy was actually agreeing on some it with you about your post and then you turn around and flame him... hum... hypocrit

kettle pot, pot kettle.....

what you need is social skills... and a good therapist for all that pent up anger you have. If your trying to come off "funny" then your missing your mark by miles.

also might I suggest an extended vocabulary on the finer points of verbal communication. you were trying to insult the wenshu guy (spelling on name?) and could not prompt your insults in a tactful manner.

again the resume thing gets old, no one cares who you know seriously.

just some things to work on...
just doing my part to help the less fortunate towards the holiday season. :)

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
This is a discussion forum supposedly about kung fu but in reality it's a playground for ill mannered cowardly adults who post foul insults under the guise of anonymity. From the beginning of my participation here I've made it quite clear who I am Right or wrong.

This is no meter of character writing here to day, instead for me it is a laboratory setting to conduct an expriment.

I posted something with sincerity to provoke thoughtful discussion knowing full well where it would lead. In your rush to appear humble and wise while subtly implying lack of character I'm sure you overlooked
my post script:

Peace

PS

My bait, your bite fvcking predictable a ss hats:D

As you might imagine from my username, I completely agree with the OP here. A couple comments:

1. We are talking about developing character here. There are many ways to develop character, including from your parents, close relatives or friends. You can also learn character from your martial arts instructor. Kung fu, albeit informally sometimes, stresses that developing inner character and will is important to developing the control and state of mind necessary to achieve the goals of a traditional martial art -- one of which is to defend oneself.

2. The development of character from traditional martial arts can affect not only how you fight but also how you interact with others in non-martial situations. (e.g., on this thread.) That's part of the OP's point, which I completely agree with.

3. Why would developing character ever be a bad thing? Perhaps some of you think your fighting skills are to take advantage of others? Why would you want others that are more skilled and powerful than yourselves to take advantage of YOU?

4. Sometimes the best response to a threatening situation is to avoid or deflect it altogether. It takes inner character and will to do such a thing. Any practicioner of martial arts should know this. Developing that inner character to know when and how to avoid a fight or threatening situation is ABSOLUTELY part of traditional martial arts. It's the opposite of what the blokes on Jersey Shore tend to do, where any imagined insult deserves a good decking. A good sifu knows that teaching students more effective and powerful strikes develops more potential for harm. With that knowledge comes responsibility. With that responsibility comes character and respect for one another.

5. Lots of other study or training involves a code of conduct or character to uphold. For example, the U.S. armed forces each adopt a specific code of honor, discipline, respect and ethics that they agree to uphold.

6. Haven't you ever heard anyone say "it builds character?" I guess only those old enough would know such a saying.

7. More than half of the people reading this will have no idea what I'm talking about. Fair enough. I can't assume you have been taught (or that you accepted) a moral code of conduct.

Cheers!

(glad to be part of this forum)

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Here we have one of the worst ones. He contributes nothing but contentious personality based troll nonsense no interest in martial art just a pass time amusement at work.

LMAO!

Mr. Lok

you set these lofty principals in one line and then throw threats about face to face show downs the next for someone not agreeing with you...Hypocrit

funny the one guy was actually agreeing on some it with you about your post and then you turn around and flame him... hum... hypocrit

what you need is social skills... and a good therapist for all that pent up anger you have. If your trying to come off "funny" then your missing your mark by miles.

also might I suggest an extended vocabulary on the finer points of verbal communication. you were trying to insult the wenshu guy (spelling on name?) and could not prompt your insults in a tactful manner.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 05:11 PM
And you do I'm sure you do porkboy the breakfast monkey:rolleyes:

LOL

thats because they didnt know the real kung fu!

they probably knew karate and werent even chinese!:mad::D

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 05:13 PM
This is a discussion forum supposedly about kung fu but in reality it's a playground for ill mannered cowardly adults who post foul insults under the guise of anonymity. From the beginning of my participation here I've made it quite clear who I am Right or wrong.

This is no meter of character writing here to day, instead for me it is a laboratory setting to conduct an expriment.

I posted something with sincerity to provoke thoughtful discussion knowing full well where it would lead. In your rush to appear humble and wise while subtly implying lack of character I'm sure you overlooked

see now your getting it. I'm proud of you. :p

seriously, I've said nothing about your post in an ill way, it has many good insights and "moral fiber"

If I stated anything of ill will then it's just my opinion and can be taken in such manner. Such wording as I've stated are all in context of my beliefs, in such lines of thought as I see best suited for discussion. Any liabilities can be held accountable within bounds of KFM and said stations.

See I can write a disclaimer as well. now that we are "square" on the uplifting "gospel" can we not continue our lofty insults in a tactful manner. :)

goju
11-03-2010, 05:15 PM
And you do I'm sure you do porkboy the breakfast monkey:rolleyes:

of course i got those three characteristics you described above down pat:D

Knifefighter
11-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Don't mind Lokhopkuen. He's not a fighter. He simply plays one on TV.

Wildwoo
11-03-2010, 05:18 PM
You're very articulate for one of your kind.

Mr. Lok

Wildwoo
11-03-2010, 05:18 PM
of course i got those three characteristics you described above down pat:D

Brother!;):D;)

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I dont mind him, as he stated comedy is his "trademark". :rolleyes:

We can all get a good laugh at him pointing out his "fighting prowess"

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 05:20 PM
You're very articulate for one of your kind.

And it is one of a kind. :p

pateticorecords
11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
How's it going Tom?

Didn't know you were on here.

I'm like the old 70s converse commercials... I'm everywhere...hahaha... :D

how you been?

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 05:24 PM
It's no war you lost, a s s kicked;)

Ok, seriously. This little flamewar of ours just went off the deep end.

You f u c k ing lost me.

What the f u c k are you talking about?

then:

I don't know what that is. I'm a little old to watch anime.

Stop yelling.

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 05:27 PM
It's no war you lost, a s s kicked

grats you won the internet....and your prize

a complementary shirt emblazened with your favorite insult and wrist watch for keeping time when hurling insults at people and tell them to meet you at a disclosed location so you can personally take out your rage on them for disagreeing with you. :cool:

bawang
11-03-2010, 05:27 PM
sifu kisu is black. he is 100 times cooler than u.

Dragonzbane76
11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
haha bawang stop, i'm running out of room on my signature for all the awesome that is you.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Don't mind Lokhopkuen. He's not a fighter. He simply plays one on TV.

Yup:D
Can't fight. Wears a t-shirt that says please beat my a s s.

You know I'm starting to like you ya p ric k:p

bawang
11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
man u r more cool than me u know bjj. i learned like bjj for 5 days. u r badass modern warrior who knows no fear.

sifu kisu, please can i be your son, i am crying

bawang
11-03-2010, 05:32 PM
WTF MAN????

man ur not cool at all. i was rong about u. i bet ur full name is like kisu wienerschnitzelschnoopenwaffle

black taoist is 100 times cooler than u he is a real black man.

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Worship of the black man will not help your pee pee grow:p

wenshu
11-03-2010, 05:59 PM

my post script:

Peace

PS

My bait, your bite fvcking predictable a ss hats:D

Bak Siu Lum #11: The Back Pedal

Dragonzbane76
11-04-2010, 03:31 AM
love how that is a thinly veiled reference for, "I'll meet you somewhere and show you how wrong you are with force."

:rolleyes:

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Lokhopkuen,

If you agree to clean my house and bring my child to and from school I will feed you and allow you to practice your kung fu(forms) in my basement and live there for free.

This will help you relax.

wenshu
11-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Wenshu;
My classmates and I were wondering if your group would be interested to meet and touch hands in friendly exchange? Feel free to answer here or message me direct.

Wu

I don't know who you are.

Let me get this straight. Your shifu or whatever your connection to him is, reposted some essay with his semi literate commentary attached.

I offered some tongue in cheek constructive criticisim, under which I then complimented and agreed with the original.

He then proceeds to call me f@ggot, little b itch, name drops my shifu and says "I'm going come to your school and you can say that to my face" (which is strange since I didn't say anything really) etc etc.

I didn't take any of this nonsense personally. In fact I looked at it as a badge of honor of sorts. Look at this moderately famous shifu having a hissy fit in my general direction.

I try to hold myself to a higher standard so I don't call semi anonymous people names on the internet. I think it is childish and unnecessary. I don't always succeed at this. I try to engage in actual debate, and I believe it is possible to disagree and maintain a sense of humor about oneself without resorting to personal attacks and threats, veiled or explicit.

Another post with more pontification about honor and humility and respect while in the same breath more apoplectic histrionics directed at another member. (please excuse my online thesaurus vocabulary).

All those HTML tags and pithy interwebz meme insults really showed me.

Of course now he says it was all just troll bait, which is a likely excuse.

Which brings us to here. The peanut gallery issuing internet message board challenges. All because your shifu called someone names.

If thats how you want to carry it.

Where I train is a matter of public record.

You bore me.

SPJ
11-04-2010, 07:23 AM
what is wrong with modern MA?

people want something with instant results.

so it is a piece meal and not the whole meal.

it is only touching the skin or surface

it is with no meat and no bone Only SKIN.

--

lion would take his time to divulge

crows or coyote may pick up the left over.

so modern MA is skin, fast meal, and left over here and there.

---

take time, take patience, take diligence.

quitters would quit after a few classes when they hit the first hurdle.

--

David Jamieson
11-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Let me get this straight. Your shifu or whatever your connection to him is, reposted some essay with his semi literate commentary attached.

I offered some tongue in cheek constructive criticisim, under which I then complimented and agreed with the original.

He then proceeds to call me f@ggot, little b itch, name drops my shifu and says "I'm going come to your school and you can say that to my face" (which is strange since I didn't say anything really) etc etc.

I didn't take any of this nonsense personally. In fact I looked at it as a badge of honor of sorts. Look at this moderately famous shifu having a hissy fit in my general direction.

I try to hold myself to a higher standard so I don't call semi anonymous people names on the internet. I think it is childish and unnecessary. I don't always succeed at this. I try to engage in actual debate, and I believe it is possible to disagree and maintain a sense of humor about oneself without resorting to personal attacks and threats, veiled or explicit.

Another post with more pontification about honor and humility and respect while in the same breath more apoplectic histrionics directed at another member. (please excuse my online thesaurus vocabulary).

Which brings us to here. The peanut gallery issuing internet message board challenges. All because your shifu called someone names.

You bore me.

No offense, but this is a passive aggressive rant in the most classical of senses.
Do you really believe "you didn't really say anything"? lol

I mean, I'm reading the same stuff here as you're writing. :)

wenshu
11-04-2010, 07:31 AM
I see what you're saying.

I meant specifically before this whole thread, in PM.

Yeah, I'm guilty. I totally engaged in all the bull****.

SPJ
11-04-2010, 07:43 AM
I was just curious

wen shu vs wu shu

---

:)

wenshu
11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
A little bit of both.

Lokhopkuen
11-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Lokhopkuen,

If you agree to clean my house and bring my child to and from school I will feed you and allow you to practice your kung fu(forms) in my basement and live there for free.

This will help you relax.

An attractive offer for sure but you sound stinky...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EK0vq43lfKo/SX52E-ShFmI/AAAAAAAAFe0/DiAH1QlF9J8/s800/IMG_1782ed+bl.jpg

GeneChing
11-04-2010, 09:42 AM
This is his second ban. For some unknown reason, he felt I was attacking him on this thread and PMed an insult to me. If anyone else wants to get banned, just PM me an insult.

The sad part is I know Lokhopkuen personally. He's even done some modeling for us and there a shot of him in the upcoming issue. :rolleyes:

Dragonzbane76
11-04-2010, 09:46 AM
he has some anger issues that's all i'm going to say. :(

David Jamieson
11-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Dear malcontents.

please send insults to Gene through PM.

thanks

:p

David Jamieson
11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
he has some anger issues that's all i'm going to say. :(

When you anonymously poke at a tiger in a cage and he turns and tries to bite you, it's not the tiger that has issues.

just sayin. :)

Anyone can take their taunts to a level that would get the dalai lama to consider an act of violence to end that. lol

it's not hard to be destructive, it is hard to build.

Dragonzbane76
11-04-2010, 09:53 AM
When you anonymously poke at a tiger in a cage and he turns and tries to bite you, it's not the tiger that has issues.

just sayin.

Anyone can take their taunts to a level that would get the dalai lama to consider an act of violence to end that. lol

this is the internet, it's not RL people. can everyone not get that through there heads. If you can't laugh at yourself and laugh at others whats the use really. Not walking on egg shells here. You want to install a kindergarden rule system jamison? you want to break down the freedoms and the ability to discuss. I guarantee you will be the first to b!tch if it happens. Just remember you were marching at the head of the parade to get the "lock down" in place.

Dragonzbane76
11-04-2010, 09:55 AM

you could taunt me all day and I would just try to come back with better towards you, so no IT'S NOT ABOUT THE LEVEL, it's about growing up and having a thicker skin and not acting like a child. >goshhh darn you guys,, you made me mad now i'm going to go tell the teacher< (screw you guys i'm going home) :rolleyes:

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2010, 09:59 AM
No one gets more irritated ate being called a "fantasy" or "theoritical" fighter more than I, and yet, for the first few months when I joined here, that is what was happening.
Yes, it bothered me to a point, but NOT beyond it, why?
Well, because I KNEW that I wasn't.

I have to be honest, I don't know what is more irking, the tag of "fantasy theoritical fighter" or "non-authentic TCMA", LMAO !!!

GeneChing
11-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't even mind glorified kickboxers and crappy photoshoppers. But PMing me insults is just wrong. What would that possibly achieve?

Dragonzbane76
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah I can see that. PMing someone goes a step further than just posting it in a public forum... little more personal.

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't even mind glorified kickboxers and crappy photoshoppers. But PMing me insults is just wrong. What would that possibly achieve?

Getting you to talk dirty?

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
No one gets more irritated ate being called a "fantasy" or "theoritical" fighter more than I, and yet, for the first few months when I joined here, that is what was happening.
Yes, it bothered me to a point, but NOT beyond it, why?
Well, because I KNEW that I wasn't.

I have to be honest, I don't know what is more irking, the tag of "fantasy theoritical fighter" or "non-authentic TCMA", LMAO !!!

You are a fantasy fighter. Whenever a topic comes up that you cannot handle verbally you post pictures of really hot women to do your fighting. You are the worst ever.

GeneChing
11-04-2010, 10:37 AM
All in favor of sanjuro_ronin posting pics of really hot women?

All in favor of banning MysteriousPower for suggesting sanjuro_ronin stop posting pics of really hot women?

I'm eager to do some more banning. I'd hate for lhk to feel lonely.

hskwarrior
11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
i'm all for Sanjuro's DIRTY FIGHTING :D

he's he's a master of the mind and will distract you long enough to make sure his martial arts work for him regardless if it goes to the ground..

David Jamieson
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
this is the internet, it's not RL people. can everyone not get that through there heads. If you can't laugh at yourself and laugh at others whats the use really. Not walking on egg shells here. You want to install a kindergarden rule system jamison? you want to break down the freedoms and the ability to discuss. I guarantee you will be the first to b!tch if it happens. Just remember you were marching at the head of the parade to get the "lock down" in place.

whenever I am dealing with children and childishness, yes, I use kindergarden rules. It's necessary.

The fact that you are in some kind of denial about what reality is because you seem to think being anonymous on your computer gives you some sort of right to disparage others, belittle them and then after doing so, with great insult, you fall back on "oh it's the internet, don't take it so seriously".

This is an error in thinking fellow kfm-er.

If it was of no concern to you, why do you bother addressing me about it?
Why should it bother you if under your umbrella of not caring, you feel you can pick and choose what it is you want to care about and to heck with what anyone else cares about because hey, it's the internet and you can be as huge of an ass as you like? (I am saying this as a royal "you" by the way.

There is no difference in having etiquette in correspondence than there is in a face to face meeting. To be most in touch with reality, it is my opinion that there is always a living breathing human being on the other end and words, spoken or written can have as sharp an edge and cause all the damage a sword can.

If you are unaware of this fact, then you have some growing up to do. The internet is not your big mental toilet by virtue of the fact that it is living breathing thinking feeling human beings.

To diminish those relationships is only to diminish yourself. But, I don't think I should have to explain this to a man your age.

When I get angry with someone, it is a response and a reaction.
What do you do? Anything? What is the difference between someone writing you a letter or an email or on a forum and being rude, impolite and a general thorn in your side?

there is no difference. Your words, your thoughts and what you write here reflects WHO you are not who I am or anyone else.

Is that how you wish to be perceived, because if so, fine, I will no longer take anything you say seriously and just drop one liner junk into threads you start that you have a serious bent to. Would that be acceptable to you? I mean, is it ok if I crap in your threads for the sake of it? You won't mind if I belittle you and do that right? Because it's the internet right?

I wonder if you know that there are people here who actually know each other, physically meet with each other, share with each other and have come to see this place as a community of like minded individuals.

With the negative air that this place is full of, is that the fault of the tigers reacting to the sticks they are being poked with or is it the fault of the children poking them? You tell me.

I'll be watching for any "serious" thread or commentary you make though, you know, just to see if you're talking out the side of your mouth or not. lol :p

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2010, 10:41 AM
You are a fantasy fighter. Whenever a topic comes up that you cannot handle verbally you post pictures of really hot women to do your fighting. You are the worst ever.

*hangs head in shame*
http://www.acegames.us/forum/attachments/mobile-phone-wallpapers/100887d1232730197t-240x320-women-sexy-babe.jpg

goju
11-04-2010, 10:42 AM
a few of the women could use better looking faces:D

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
All in favor of sanjuro_ronin posting pics of really hot women?

All in favor of banning MysteriousPower for suggesting sanjuro_ronin stop posting pics of really hot women?

I'm eager to do some more banning. I'd hate for lhk to feel lonely.

Please do not ban me. I will go back to doing kung fu forms. I swear it

David Jamieson
11-04-2010, 10:46 AM

you're looking at their faces?

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Faces ???:confused:

GeneChing
11-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Seriously? Okay, we'll let you live a few more hours. Unless, of course, you want to PM me an insult.

goju
11-04-2010, 10:49 AM
i cant help it if im more sensitive than you savages!:D

Drake
11-04-2010, 10:50 AM
This reminds of the time I told BD to go kill himself.

SPJ
11-04-2010, 10:51 AM
I dun PM pix of half naked woman or insults

I do PM people music videos

such as this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3BIX0duKs&feature=share

my facebook profile has lots of the links of songs and music.

--

I think she is from brazil.

goju
11-04-2010, 10:51 AM
like this girl

i mean my future wife:D

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Seriously? Okay, we'll let you live a few more hours. Unless, of course, you want to PM me an insult.

I am not sure why I would have a reason to do so. I do not care about this forum being moderated and I do not blame you for anything any troll(I love this word) says to me.

I am all for you becoming a millionaire through sales and hope that goes well for you.

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Goju,

That chick does not have a nice face. You nuts.

goju
11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Goju,

That chick does not have a nice face. You nuts.

ARE YOU BLIND OLD CHAP!!???:eek:

GeneChing
11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Maybe this should be the barometer, MysteriousPower. I should ban anyone who doesn't do forms. :p

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Goju,

Her face is a bit too pudgy for me. She looks kinda like Liv Tyler.

SPJ
11-04-2010, 10:59 AM
so it is the contest of the face vs the body.

how about personalities, temperaments, characters?

read the book by the cover or the content

--

yes, yes, love is only skin deep.

wenshu
11-04-2010, 11:00 AM

just sayin. :)

Really?

Your analogy is, um, somewhat imprecise.

goju
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM

--

yes, yes, love is only skin deep.

who cares about that crap as long as she loosk nice?

everyone knows only ugly women have bad personalities anyway:D

David Jamieson
11-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Really?

Your analogy is, um, somewhat imprecise.

how so? I think it's exactly what happens here.

SPJ
11-04-2010, 11:08 AM
who cares about that crap as long as she loosk nice?

everyone knows only ugly women have bad personalities anyway:D

yes. yes.

but we all get old.

outer beauty may be fading over time.

inner beauty may last longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1JXwb80IvI&feature=related

goju
11-04-2010, 11:13 AM
yes. yes.

but we all get old.

outer beauty may be fading over time.

inner beauty may last longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1JXwb80IvI&feature=related

thats why you make sure you have money so you can get a younger wife:D

wenshu
11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
how so? I think it's exactly what happens here.

If the tiger is hypersensitive with anger management issues and paranoid delusions of persecution. Then, yes, totally precise.

Holy news flash batman, people are mean on the internet?!? Anonymous or not.

Get over it.

People that feel the need to respond to every perceived injustice however benign should just go ahead and end it now. Those who demand financial compensation for such slights should have it ended for them.

The breakdown of social norms on internet message boards is not news, nor is it unique to this board. Reacting to it with rage is just kind of silly and superfluous.

Sardinkahnikov
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
She looks kinda like Liv Tyler.

that's a good thing. even if liv tyler got a little chubby

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 01:06 PM
that's a good thing. even if liv tyler got a little chubby

I am not a fan of Liv Tyler. She is not that pretty and she is not that good of an actress.

Dragonzbane76
11-04-2010, 03:07 PM
whenever I am dealing with children and childishness, yes, I use kindergarden rules. It's necessary.

The fact that you are in some kind of denial about what reality is because you seem to think being anonymous on your computer gives you some sort of right to disparage others, belittle them and then after doing so, with great insult, you fall back on "oh it's the internet, don't take it so seriously".

This is an error in thinking fellow kfm-er.

If it was of no concern to you, why do you bother addressing me about it?
Why should it bother you if under your umbrella of not caring, you feel you can pick and choose what it is you want to care about and to heck with what anyone else cares about because hey, it's the internet and you can be as huge of an ass as you like? (I am saying this as a royal "you" by the way.

There is no difference in having etiquette in correspondence than there is in a face to face meeting. To be most in touch with reality, it is my opinion that there is always a living breathing human being on the other end and words, spoken or written can have as sharp an edge and cause all the damage a sword can.

the reality is this it's the internet. We are all annonymous no matter the issue of you wanting to get to know everyone by swapping spit and pi$$ing in each others boots. plain fact.

you need to grow some thicker skin, my question still stand why did you take all the people you find offensive off ignore if your going have a tantrum about it after the fact? The ignore button is there for a reason.

and yes there is a difference between face to face and correspondence, the fact there is no tone of voice or body language for one. maybe people like being annonymous, etc. etc. really who promoted you to "moral fiber" officer? I'm not here to bash anyone with flaming accusations, i'm here to state my opinions thats it, if you do not like my opinions don't listen. very simple.

Yum Cha
11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I am not sure why I would have a reason to do so. I do not care about this forum being moderated and I do not blame you for anything any troll(I love this word) says to me.

I am all for you becoming a millionaire through sales and hope that goes well for you.

Suck harder, I think you are still in the balance....

Dragonzbane76
11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
If you are unaware of this fact, then you have some growing up to do. The internet is not your big mental toilet by virtue of the fact that it is living breathing thinking feeling human beings.

To diminish those relationships is only to diminish yourself. But, I don't think I should have to explain this to a man your age.

When I get angry with someone, it is a response and a reaction.
What do you do? Anything? What is the difference between someone writing you a letter or an email or on a forum and being rude, impolite and a general thorn in your side?

there is no difference. Your words, your thoughts and what you write here reflects WHO you are not who I am or anyone else.

Is that how you wish to be perceived, because if so, fine, I will no longer take anything you say seriously and just drop one liner junk into threads you start that you have a serious bent to. Would that be acceptable to you? I mean, is it ok if I crap in your threads for the sake of it? You won't mind if I belittle you and do that right? Because it's the internet right?

I wonder if you know that there are people here who actually know each other, physically meet with each other, share with each other and have come to see this place as a community of like minded individuals.

With the negative air that this place is full of, is that the fault of the tigers reacting to the sticks they are being poked with or is it the fault of the children poking them? You tell me.

I'll be watching for any "serious" thread or commentary you make though, you know, just to see if you're talking out the side of your mouth or not. lol

the internet is what ever i wish it to be I pay the bill each month for my connection. Like I said I'm not here to be rude or blatantly vile, i'm here to express what i think. It can be my mental "toilet" if I so desire.
as for writing me an email or correspondence of rudeness, well guess what I can choose to ignore it and move on. It's my choice. And I think that is where you are missing the point, it's about choices, if someone wants to come on here and be an a$$ then they have the responsability and the outcomes of such choices. Freedom of choice is what i'm promoting.

Don't take anything i write serious, you think I care? Take it or leave it, spin it for what its worth. you will not hurt my feelings and i'll not loose sleep over it.

I'm also glad people can meet and become friends here, I choose mine carefully. I respect a few of the people here and hopefully in the future down the road I could meet them.

also a tiger is a poor choice or comparison to people, considering we are a thinking animal. We have the rights to choose and pick, listen or talk, comprehend or deny, etc. etc.

watch for what ever your heart feels it needs to, again i'm not loosing sleep.

Drake
11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
You pay for your internet connection. You don't pay for this website. Know the difference.

Lucas
11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I am great. Really.

Knifefighter
11-04-2010, 04:28 PM
You pay for your internet connection. You don't pay for this website. Know the difference.

Actually, we do help pay for the website. Content drives SEO and user generated content is one of the best ways to generate content.

Guess which site ranks number one on Google for kung fu discussion? Yep, this one.

hskwarrior
11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Actually, we do help pay for the website. Content drives SEO and user generated content is one of the best ways to generate content.

Guess which site ranks number one on Google for kung fu discussion? Yep, this one.

Ok Gene Ching is the real identity of Knifefighter. LOL...i knew it.

Hardwork108
11-04-2010, 09:13 PM
*hangs head in shame*
http://www.acegames.us/forum/attachments/mobile-phone-wallpapers/100887d1232730197t-240x320-women-sexy-babe.jpg

You know Sanjuro, you are my kind of Catholic.:D

Hardwork108
11-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I dun PM pix of half naked woman or insults

I do PM people music videos

such as this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3BIX0duKs&feature=share

my facebook profile has lots of the links of songs and music.

--

I think she is from brazil.

I don't think that she is Brasilian, as she is singing in Spanish and this seems to be "Eurovision" song.

You seem to like melodic music. Here is a guy from Mexico and IMHO he is one of the best voices on the planet, as far as romantic music is concerned.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXeBrf7rJU

Hardwork108
11-04-2010, 09:19 PM

I agree with you, but sometimes one comes across books which have their pages missing....;)

Hardwork108
11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
thats why you make sure you have money so you can get a younger wife:D
Many times (not always), younger wifes belong to a lot more than their husbands...;)

Yum Cha
11-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Suck harder, I think you are still in the balance....

I told you.....

taai gihk yahn
11-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I told you.....

yeah, he is "gone-la"...

I am the last to lament a loss to the community on principle; but he was about as non-contributory as can be gotten...

SPJ
11-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't think that she is Brasilian, as she is singing in Spanish and this seems to be "Eurovision" song.

You seem to like melodic music. Here is a guy from Mexico and IMHO he is one of the best voices on the planet, as far as romantic music is concerned.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyXeBrf7rJU

yes I like simple tone or not over complicated one

tune of emotions

in all lingo

:cool:

Hardwork108
11-05-2010, 06:55 PM
yes I like simple tone or not over complicated one

tune of emotions

in all lingo

:cool:

The best singers will make you feel the emotions of the song no matter what language they sing in.:)

Wildwoo
11-05-2010, 07:35 PM

You bore me.

It was completely inappropriate of me to issue a challenge to combat in our school's name here at kungfumagazineforums. Please accept my public apology.

Wu

TenTigers
11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Holy Shiit! You mean people actually read this?
Dammmn, I better start posting something intelligent!

David Jamieson
11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Holy Shiit! You mean people actually read this?
Dammmn, I better start posting something intelligent!

wait til your facebook goes jumbalaya.

then ya gotta make wit da useful posts.:p

Northwind
11-08-2010, 01:08 PM
I agree 100% with OP.

David Jamieson
11-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I agree 100% with OP.

what a coincidence! lol :p

Northwind
11-08-2010, 07:16 PM
What do you mean David?

David Jamieson
11-09-2010, 05:52 AM
What do you mean David?

I mean I agree too. :)

bawang
11-09-2010, 10:19 AM
why did sifu kisu got ban?

GeneChing
11-09-2010, 10:24 AM
...after all, we are BSL cousins. But like I said in my And BOOM goes the Dynamite (Imminent Bannings) thread post (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1057508#post1057508), "I'm not listening to appeals for a while, maybe not until after the holidaze."

Right now, I'm just enjoying how civil things are here - a little welcome peace and quiet before the holidaze...

SPJ
11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
alot of people are doing xmas shopping early this year

I am looking at some items on martial arts marts, too

amid weaker US dollar, and inflation looming for food price and everything

a lot of people shop early just about everything

--

Northwind
11-09-2010, 12:06 PM
I mean I agree too. :)

Ah okay, cool. :)