PDA

View Full Version : What is right with TCMA...

MightyB
11-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm willing to say that not everyone wants to be a tattooed cage fighter and not everyone needs to train like Jens.

With that in mind - TCMA practice is and can be very beneficial. Besides stating the obvious about balance, health and fitness, stress release, flexibility, mental stimulation, mobility improvement, basic self defense, etc... it's actually just plain fun to do. Even the forms are fun - especially the high flying make you feel like Jet Li ones.

Anyway - just thought I'd put that out there, 'cuz - you know - this is a "Kung Fu" community forum.

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Progressive Learning

Healthful focus and fitness

Interesting learning path

Self discipline through doing

Transformation process in correcting old habits

Fun practice!

Serious practice!

Identifying your strength and weakness

Comfort in a tradition

Self defense

Healthy competition

Make friends!

Identify with a group.

Learn about cultural aspects associated with your chosen art

I could go on, but there are many many benefits to undertaking to practice TCMA.

bawang
11-03-2010, 02:01 PM
tcma cured my gonorrhea

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 02:02 PM
tcma cured my gonorrhea

:rolleyes:

why even bother?

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 02:17 PM
why even bother?

Hey, you've got to come to accept it by now. i do. i actually look forward to his silliness

pateticorecords
11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Respect for all martial systems, their instructors and constituents in the spirit of humility and martial brotherhood.

CHOY LAY FUT

RULES:
DAK-SEE = LEARN FROM A GOOD TEACHER

FOO-LIN =PRACTICE HARD

YEO-DON-TAO-SAO-BOT-SIN = DON’T CAUSE TROUBLE. BECAUSE MARTIAL ARTS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HUMBLE.

JIT-SEK = DON’T HAVE SEX (SHAOLIN) CONTROL YOUR SEX (OTHERS)

BO-SIK = EAT RIGHT, GOOD FOOD.

YEU-HUNG-A-BILL-DA-LAK (“Lake”)= REDIRECT OPPONENTS FORCE BACK TO HIM. USE HIS FORCE TO HIS FORCE.

HAY-CHEUM = BREATHING AND CHI, INTERNAL DEVELOPMENT.

FAT-HURM = USE THE SOUNDS (SIK,YIK, DIK,DIT, AND WAH)

DIK-THONG-KAY-LOY-BUT-YONG = DO YOUR BEST TO WIN. IF YOU HAVE TO FIGHT, GO ALL THE WAY. NO HALFING IT! – TO THE END! BEST DEFENSE IS OFFENSE! IF YOU ARE NICE TO YOUR ENEMY, YOU ARE MEAN TO YOURSELF.

YEU-YUT-GAU-DOLL-MO-TOY-BOT-DONG= PRACTICE FOR A LONG TIME , YOU ARE STRONG, NO ONE CAN PUSH YOU AROUND. NEVER QUIT!

THE CODE OF THE HWARANG

1. Be loyal to your country.

2. Be obedient to your parents.

3. Have faith and honor among friends.

4. Perseverance in battle.

5. Justice --- never cause unneeded harm.

THE NINE VIRTUES OF THE HWARANG

Hi (Humanity) Sum (Goodness)

Oui (Justice) Duk (Virtue)

Yeh (Courtesy) Chung (Loyalty)

Ji (Wisdom) Yong (Courage)

Sin (Trust)

TENETS OF TAEKWONDO

Courtesy

Integrity

Perseverance

Self-Control

Indomitable Spirit

TAEKWONDO STUDENT OATH

1. I shall obey the Tenets of Taekwondo.

2. I shall obey my Instructor and senior students.

3. I shall never misuse Taekwondo

4. I will be a champion of freedom and injustice.

5. I will help build a more peaceful world.

Tenets of Kung Fu
Motivation: have the desire to succeed
Confidence: believe in yourself
Discipline: follow directions
Perseverance: keep working for what you believe in despite hardship
Respect: willing to respect yourself and others
Community: caring for and being positive with others
Righteousness: do the right thing
Tolerance: do not allow emotions to overflow and affect character

NAM PAI CHUAN
PRECEPTS AND TENETS
Revere your ancestor
Respect your guide
Train with your mind
Strengthen the will
Centre your energy
Focus on reality
Act with earnestness
Covet nothing
Subdue the I
Behave with fortitude
Approach with innocence
Ever hope
Life is death
Death is life
Teach the deserving
Teach with passion
Learn always
Assume nothing

KC Elbows
11-03-2010, 02:50 PM
The progressive modern practitioners all seem to be moving to a good place with their tcma.

Do the rest matter?

Lucas
11-03-2010, 02:55 PM
The progressive modern practitioners all seem to be moving to a good place with their tcma.

Do the rest matter?

Geat point, and no, they dont matter at all. But how do you make this common knowledge...

KC Elbows
11-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Geat point, and no, they dont matter at all. But how do you make this common knowledge...

A hot spokewsoman who can do things with twelve feet of surgical tubing that would make most people pass out.

That's my answer to most every problem.

Lucas
11-03-2010, 03:06 PM
you have great wisdom. do you live on top of a mountain? i hear thats where wise guys live.

EarthDragon
11-03-2010, 03:07 PM
kung fu is a way of life...................... fighting is just a sport. You can play football or golf with the boys once a week, but kung fu carries over in all actions into the rest of that same week...

KC Elbows
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I live on a Mount Hergina.

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey these are the rules of the Fut San Hung Sing Kuen (Choy Lee Fut)

CHOY LAY FUT

RULES:
DAK-SEE = LEARN FROM A GOOD TEACHER

FOO-LIN =PRACTICE HARD

YEO-DON-TAO-SAO-BOT-SIN = DON’T CAUSE TROUBLE. BECAUSE MARTIAL ARTS IS SUPPOSED TO BE HUMBLE.

JIT-SEK = DON’T HAVE SEX (SHAOLIN) CONTROL YOUR SEX (OTHERS)

BO-SIK = EAT RIGHT, GOOD FOOD.

YEU-HUNG-A-BILL-DA-LAK (“Lake”)= REDIRECT OPPONENTS FORCE BACK TO HIM. USE HIS FORCE TO HIS FORCE.

HAY-CHEUM = BREATHING AND CHI, INTERNAL DEVELOPMENT.

FAT-HURM = USE THE SOUNDS (SIK,YIK, DIK,DIT, AND WAH)

DIK-THONG-KAY-LOY-BUT-YONG = DO YOUR BEST TO WIN. IF YOU HAVE TO FIGHT, GO ALL THE WAY. NO HALFING IT! – TO THE END! BEST DEFENSE IS OFFENSE! IF YOU ARE NICE TO YOUR ENEMY, YOU ARE MEAN TO YOURSELF.

YEU-YUT-GAU-DOLL-MO-TOY-BOT-DONG= PRACTICE FOR A LONG TIME , YOU ARE STRONG, NO ONE CAN PUSH YOU AROUND. NEVER QUIT!

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I live on a Mount Hergina.

OH COOL so you moved from Mount MANgina huh? AWESCUM! :D

Wildwoo
11-03-2010, 03:16 PM
TCMA grew my c0ck six more inches for free!

KC Elbows
11-03-2010, 03:16 PM
OH COOL so you moved from Mount MANgina huh? AWESCUM! :D

Mount Mangina had no scenic byways, just one stinky cave.

It's all location, location, location. My school on Mount Hergina might smell like sturgeon, but it gets good word of mouth.

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 03:17 PM
TCMA grew my c0ck six more inches for free!

you Rock off the c0ck dangler you!!!!! :p

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Mount Mangina had no scenic byways, just one stinky cave.

as you're walking through it you have to ask the question "did somebody step in sh1t? LMAO

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
It's all location, location, location. My school on Mount Hergina might smell like sturgeon, but it gets good word of mouth.

AHHHHHH yes, it must be fun to climb that Mountain brother...how lucky you are. :D

TenTigers
11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
What is right with TCMA?
aside from a few azoles on the forum?
Everything.
next question...

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
What is right with TCMA?
aside from a few azoles on the forum?
Everything.
next question...

Hey, I can't be a nice guy all the time... :(

Lokhopkuen
11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
TCMA Been very very good to me;)

Jameson you ain't nice:p

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm working on it though. I really, really am.

Got nothin else to do... :p

Lucas
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
NOW APOLOGIZE TO MY XBOX BEOTCH!

:p:D

David Jamieson
11-03-2010, 04:14 PM
NOW APOLOGIZE TO MY XBOX BEOTCH!

:p:D

I **** in the general direction of your xbox.

Yum Cha
11-03-2010, 04:28 PM
You get to meet interesting people from all over the world, and occasionally fight them!

You can learn how to order the good Chinese food that's not on the english menu.

There are lots of people to talk about the aches and pains of age.

Its great for intimidating young boys that come to date your daughter.

hskwarrior
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Its great for intimidating young boys that come to date your daughter.

my sifu and his wife used to have us to interview the dudes that come to the house to visit his daughter. we'd walk in with crazy looks and kwan do's or swords n shtuff. LOL

TenTigers
11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I must say, all of my best and closest friends are my Sifus and Hing-Dai.

MightyB
11-04-2010, 05:38 AM
You get to meet interesting people from all over the world, and occasionally fight them!

You can learn how to order the good Chinese food that's not on the english menu.

... Chicken Feet ... I wouldn't have known you could eat them ... and they're actually good.

---

Good lists to keep in mind everybody.

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 05:48 AM
One of the great things about Chinese martial arts is that it has many things to offer those that DO NOT want to learn to fight.

It is a good hobby, good for health, makes you different than everyone doing yoga, makes you look cool to a certain crowd, it is much more interesting than jogging.

MightyB
11-04-2010, 07:03 AM
One of the great things about Chinese martial arts is that it has many things to offer those that DO NOT want to learn to fight.

It is a good hobby, good for health, makes you different than everyone doing yoga, makes you look cool to a certain crowd, it is much more interesting than jogging.

Some people are just plain tough... and some people no matter what they do, just aren't. Most people fall somewhere in the middle. I'm not going to blame kung fu for people not being tough, quite frankly, because I met a lot of people in Judo and BJJ that aren't tough either.

As a "pure" fighting system... I have mixed feelings because I've met some really really tough people that only do kung fu, but I've met a lot more that fall in the not so tough crowd.

Fighting wise - TCMA if it's being taught by people that really are so stubborn and have isolated themselves from everything and everybody - well, it doesn't work because under those circumstances it hasn't changed with the times. Back in China and Back in the day - it was very effective because it was designed to be effective using their social mores and codes of conduct for fighting duels. It doesn't work using our current socially accepted models for fighting. It would've worked in the US 50 years ago because "real men didn't kick" and wrestling wasn't so scientific as it is today. In China 100 years ago during a challenge fight - TCMA was the bomb (since most of them hadn't seen western boxing, and they didn't wrestle).

I'd say that real "battle field" kung fu probably would work today as it did back then. What I mean is that what we call kung fu... isn't what would've been used on a battle field. The same as modern western dueling style fencing sucks when it's compared to a ruffian armed with a short sword and buckler who lived in historic England.

sanjuro_ronin
11-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Do the rest matter?

KC ( and the sunshine band) has IP'd the correct.

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 07:37 AM
Some people are just plain tough... and some people no matter what they do, just aren't. Most people fall somewhere in the middle. I'm not going to blame kung fu for people not being tough, quite frankly, because I met a lot of people in Judo and BJJ that aren't tough either.

As a "pure" fighting system... I have mixed feelings because I've met some really really tough people that only do kung fu, but I've met a lot more that fall in the not so tough crowd.

Fighting wise - TCMA if it's being taught by people that really are so stubborn and have isolated themselves from everything and everybody - well, it doesn't work because under those circumstances it hasn't changed with the times. Back in China and Back in the day - it was very effective because it was designed to be effective using their social mores and codes of conduct for fighting duels. It doesn't work using our current socially accepted models for fighting. It would've worked in the US 50 years ago because "real men didn't kick" and wrestling wasn't so scientific as it is today. In China 100 years ago during a challenge fight - TCMA was the bomb (since most of them hadn't seen western boxing, and they didn't wrestle).

I'd say that real "battle field" kung fu probably would work today as it did back then. What I mean is that what we call kung fu... isn't what would've been used on a battle field. The same as modern western dueling style fencing sucks when it's compared to a ruffian armed with a short sword and buckler who lived in historic England.

I believe that the right kind of kung fu training can be a stepping stone to other types of better taining.

MightyB
11-04-2010, 07:39 AM
I believe that the right kind of kung fu training can be a stepping stone to other types of better taining.

Yup. Like I said in another thread. TCMA is as good a place to start as any other. People just need to know where they want to go and be willing to do what it takes to get there. The steps will present themselves.

pateticorecords
11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Hey these are the rules of the Fut San Hung Sing Kuen (Choy Lee Fut)

I know... using it as an example of what we shold be focusing on:)