PDA

View Full Version : Chinese terms

TenTigers
11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
my friend is writing a book in which the character takes Gung-Fu lessons.
She needs some Cantonese terminology.
What do you call the lantern pants (baggy Kung-Fu pants tied at the ankles)
What is the uniform called-specifically the Jing-Mo styled silk uniform with the frog buttons.

jdhowland
11-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Can't believe noone has replied to this yet. Where are the southerners? I only had one semester of Cantonese in college so your knowledge is as good as mine. But, far as I know, the trousers are simply called fu and the Jing Mo type suit was simply called saam in Hawaii (major Hong Kong influence there) because cheungsaam has come to denote women's dress in some dialects. Maybe there is a specific term for "uniform" but I'd have to dig for my old dictionary.

I haven't kept up because most of the Chinese in Alaska are immigrants from Taiwan and I haven't come across a Cantonese speaker in years except in airports. I miss the lovely sounds of Gwongdungwa.

jd

CLFNole
11-05-2010, 07:13 PM
saam would be shirt but I don't know if the jing mo uni has a special name or not.

Minghequan
11-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Changxiu Duangua = Longsleeve Top.

Duanxiu Duangua = Shortsleeve Top.

Pant's = Kuzi.

Zhongshan Zhuang = Chinese Tuinic Suits.

Cheongsam = Robes.

Sengfu = Shaolin Uniform.

Daofu = Wudang Style Uniform.

Tang-zhuang = Jingmo Styled Uniform. The general name of traditional Chinese attire for both men and women, which follows the Manchu fashion style of the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).

YouKnowWho
11-20-2010, 04:31 PM
燈籠褲(Deng Long Ku)

TenTigers
11-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Changxiu Duangua = Longsleeve Top.

Duanxiu Duangua = Shortsleeve Top.

Pant's = Kuzi.

Zhongshan Zhuang = Chinese Tuinic Suits.

Cheongsam = Robes.

Sengfu = Shaolin Uniform.

Daofu = Wudang Style Uniform.

Tang-zhuang = Jingmo Styled Uniform. The general name of traditional Chinese attire for both men and women, which follows the Manchu fashion style of the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911).
hmm..don't look much like Guongdongwa t'me...