PDA

View Full Version : A paradigm shift for this forum and some mysterious history

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 08:30 AM
I was first introduced to tcma when I started training with a deadly street fighting Chinese sifu from a Chinatown. He gave off the air of being dangerous and that we were all training to gain the same air of dangerousness. He abhorred other styles even other tcma styles. The fact that he was: 1) Mentally tough, 2) Crazy, and 3) Engaged in a lot of fighting in a time when DNA evidence was not used was the reason he was tough. His kung fu training was the icing on the cake. He could have studied boxing and been as dangerous. That is not the point. THe point is that I was introduced to tcma as something special, better, and made me more dangerous than others doing other kinds of training. The training involved drilling, forms, spinny hand bridging drills, and virtually no sparring.

Later on I started studying with a group of really nice guys. They were mma guys who had no ego, no reputation, and only hard training in their backgrounds. They were so skilled I believe they could have run through my old sifu and any of his top students. This is a painful truth for me to state because my old sifu was very dear to me but there it is. They trained hard and had real skills that could be tested instead of me just standing there while you pretend to poke my eye out.

That is the history and here is the paradigm shift.

Kung fu could be fight ready tomorrow if it adopted the principals of constant training against resisting opponents and I believe that kung fu is moving toward this. People that talk about light skill, iron palm, hidden techniques in forms, throws in forms that never get trained, being able to strike at someone trying to take you down as a good defense against bjj without having to have wrestling training...is all outdated for COMBAT. I am not talking about health and recreation here. Some of you will say that this has always been in tcma and that that is the reality in your school. Yeah, ok. I believe you.

The fact that kung fu is moving toward this paradigm makes the old guard on this board look even worse when they try to defend those terrible push hands clips I put up. I get called a troll by these people but in reality you are the trolls who are clinging to a tcma past that never existed and is not the current reality.

So I invite all of you "old guard kung fu" trolls onto the kung fu forum whenever you wish but I believe you are all the true trolls. Hiding under bridges and grabbing lunch money from little kids instead of manning up and robbing the sh!t out of grown ups.

This is my weekly rant. Try not to take it too seriously.

MightyB
11-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I was first introduced to tcma when I started training with a deadly street fighting Chinese sifu from a Chinatown. He gave off the air of being dangerous and that we were all training to gain the same air of dangerousness. He abhorred other styles even other tcma styles. The fact that he was: 1) Mentally tough, 2) Crazy, and 3) Engaged in a lot of fighting in a time when DNA evidence was not used was the reason he was tough. His kung fu training was the icing on the cake. He could have studied boxing and been as dangerous. That is not the point. THe point is that I was introduced to tcma as something special, better, and made me more dangerous than others doing other kinds of training. The training involved drilling, forms, spinny hand bridging drills, and virtually no sparring.

Later on I started studying with a group of really nice guys. They were mma guys who had no ego, no reputation, and only hard training in their backgrounds. They were so skilled I believe they could have run through my old sifu and any of his top students. This is a painful truth for me to state because my old sifu was very dear to me but there it is. They trained hard and had real skills that could be tested instead of me just standing there while you pretend to poke my eye out.

That is the history and here is the paradigm shift.

Kung fu could be fight ready tomorrow if it adopted the principals of constant training against resisting opponents and I believe that kung fu is moving toward this. People that talk about light skill, iron palm, hidden techniques in forms, throws in forms that never get trained, being able to strike at someone trying to take you down as a good defense against bjj without having to have wrestling training...is all outdated for COMBAT. I am not talking about health and recreation here. Some of you will say that this has always been in tcma and that that is the reality in your school. Yeah, ok. I believe you.

The fact that kung fu is moving toward this paradigm makes the old guard on this board look even worse when they try to defend those terrible push hands clips I put up. I get called a troll by these people but in reality you are the trolls who are clinging to a tcma past that never existed and is not the current reality.

So I invite all of you "old guard kung fu" trolls onto the kung fu forum whenever you wish but I believe you are all the true trolls. Hiding under bridges and grabbing lunch money from little kids instead of manning up and robbing the sh!t out of grown ups.

This is my weekly rant. Try not to take it too seriously.

It looks like you've been reading the forum... I'm talking about the serious, and real posters who post here. This is a good summation of the general discussion that has been going on "between the lines" for the past two years here on KFM. ;)

hskwarrior
11-04-2010, 08:42 AM
why not just say the name of your sifu, style or location? the gung fu world will know if your "SIFU" was legit or not.

I get called a troll by these people but in reality you are the trolls who are clinging to a tcma past that never existed and is not the current reality.

there are a small few who are actually to the opposite of what you are saying. my lineages PAST is extremely verifiable and recognized by the government for their efforts in protecting their country. yes, we do have lulls in times of war, but, for the most part, there are a good amount of sifu's out there that will teach you something worth while.

David Jamieson
11-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I think you're making stuff up in your head. lol

You're on a kung fu site calling Kung Fu practitioners the real trolls.

take your meds already and chillax. You hate too hard on others and probably don't do your exercise enough.

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 08:48 AM
why not just say the name of your sifu, style or location? the gung fu world will know if your "SIFU" was legit or not.

The "kung fu world" only exists in your minds. The mysterious history is true whether or not I reveal his name. Did the buddha palm choy li fut form make you a better fighter? Be honest.

It is all true minus certain facts like location and what not. I have said before that it does not matter who I am or who I have trained with. My ideas stand on their own merit.

Mightyb,
I admit it sounds like the usual cliche on this board but it is true. The fact that it sounds so familiar should clue you into the change the is happening in the kung fu world.

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 08:50 AM

take your meds already and chillax. You hate too hard on others and probably don't do your exercise enough.

Quiet, TROLL.

Ha. That felt great. Take that you troll.

hskwarrior
11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
The "kung fu world" only exists in your minds. The mysterious history is true whether or not I reveal his name. Did the buddha palm choy li fut form make you a better fighter? Be honest.

your mind is so biased against forms you don't see clearly enough to understand or fathom that PEOPLE WHO STUDY GUNG FU NEVER CLAIMED THAT LEARNING FORMS WILL MAKE YOU ANY TYPE OF A FIGHTER. That is a concept stemming from NON FORMS PRACTITIONERS. But if they did, you were being sold wolf tickets.

PLEASE, pretty please, with a cherry on top, can you show me ANYONE who told anyone that learning a FORM will make you a better fighter? I'm begging you.

It is all true minus certain facts like location and what not. I have said before that it does not matter who I am or who I have trained with. My ideas stand on their own merit.

then just let us know what city it was when you were learning the weakness kung fu? at least we'd get an idea of what teachers were in your area without you actually naming your teacher.

so you're saying your gung fu NEVER worked for you?

understand this about me...I'm a modern traditionalist. old school with an open mind.

mickey
11-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Greetings

MysteriousPower, you have me a little confused.

You train with someone who was a bad@ss during his time, with the hopes of gaining some of that quasi homicidal magic and then you train with a group of good guys whose skills can take you to a new level of quasi homicidal madness and you turn around and kick dirt? If you did not train with your Sifu, would you have met these "good guys"? I don't think so. You had to have that experience, first.

Now if there is a change in whether it is necessary to be a quasi homicidal human being in order to reach a certain level of skill is up to you. But one thing that is certain throughout your experience is your growth and maturity. It appears that it is no longer necessary for you to pursue a certain path a certain way. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the Old Guard at all. It all has to do with you.

I could write more, but I think this is enough.

Respectfully,

mickey

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Greetings

MysteriousPower, you have me a little confused.

You train with someone who was a bad@ss during his time, with the hopes of gaining some of that quasi homicidal magic and then you train with a group of good guys whose skills can take you to a new level of quasi homicidal madness and you turn around and kick dirt? If you did not train with your Sifu, would you have met these "good guys"? I don't think so. You had to have that experience, first.

Now if there is a change in whether it is necessary to be a quasi homicidal human being in order to reach a certain level of skill is up to you. But one thing that is certain throughout your experience is your growth and maturity. It appears that it is no longer necessary for you to pursue a certain path a certain way. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the Old Guard at all. It all has to do with you.

I could write more, but I think this is enough.

Respectfully,

mickey

I kinda liked that post. Kinda. :) You troll!

TCMA training helped give me a good base to learn other things. I stated this in another thread.

Knifefighter
11-04-2010, 09:10 AM

Really??!!?? You don't think RD is trolling us? You really think he believes the cr@p he spews?

Actually, why am I asking you? You troll us as much as he does.

hskwarrior
11-04-2010, 09:33 AM
MysteriousPower,

I take it you feel you were duped by your experience with TCMA. And, i'll be the first here to apologize for them leading your to have false hopes. I can't speak for all teachers, but my sifu means to world to me and was more often than not the only father figure i've known. And, today, after 30 years of training, i've come to OWN my knowledge and have come to realize that based on what he taught me mixed with my own understanding of its usage, he and i don't have the same idea's on gung fu anymore. He's way old school and set in his ways. where i see that gaps in the old way, i am being the one to fill them so the next generation can benefit from another round of evolution.

What he taught us was to take the gung fu we were learning and make it as realistic as possible. Yeah, when we are doing our forms the moves in our CLF are groupings of combo's and we visualize the fight as we do the form. But, we also sparred alot, with and without gloves. when we did two man spar forms we started out slow till we got it down, but when we did we went full blast. yes it's all prearranged stuff in a prearranged manner. But when someone is throwing techniques at you intending to knock your block off you start to develop an eye for it along with your skills.

Forms are a demonstration of the fighting techniques of a system. Still, it's not a representation of your fighting abilities. we don't blindly "EXTRAPULATE" from forms assuming it was the intended purpose. the stuff in our forms have a purpose from a single strike to multiple ones. AND YES, if you don't spar, and try to make your techniques work on an non compliant partner then can't say you represent the FIGHTING side of the system. if you've never tried to really defend yourself with someone who has the intent of proving your skills are inferior you are missing a major element in your progress.

We'd always ask questions about fighting with my sifu. he'd always say your best bet would be to perfect 4-5 basic techniques and work the sh1t out of them. he also stated "you're not going to use the entire system, so take what you like out of it and make it your own.". He even talked about this one guy who trained his iron broom only for a long time. later he was tested and placed in a circle of people. according to sifu this guy used his iron broom and dropped everyone. it' because he trained that move religiously.

there are major benefits to learning TCMA. but if your goal is intended to become a professional fighter your best bet would be to find a school that strictly focuses on the combative side of TCMA. few and far between, i know, but they're out there.

once again...i apologize if TCMA has let you down dude.

Lucas
11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
you said your previous sifu engaged in 'a lot of fights' did he just fight scrubs and little girls, if he fought fighters then maybe he just wasnt a good enough teacher to get his students to his state of skill. or was he loosing all these fights?

some fighters suck at teacher and vise versa some teachers suck at fighting.

was he a crappy fighter when he engaged in all these fights? im kind of just curious because at first you had a feeling he could fight, some of that drawn from him fighting, at what point did his previous fights no longer hold merit? and true or false this is a common experience for many people.

mickey
11-04-2010, 09:44 AM
Oh my gosh!

I have been called a troll. I hope that does not make me a member of the Old Guard.

:)

mickey

MysteriousPower
11-04-2010, 10:39 AM
you said your previous sifu engaged in 'a lot of fights' did he just fight scrubs and little girls, if he fought fighters then maybe he just wasnt a good enough teacher to get his students to his state of skill. or was he loosing all these fights?

some fighters suck at teacher and vise versa some teachers suck at fighting.

was he a crappy fighter when he engaged in all these fights? im kind of just curious because at first you had a feeling he could fight, some of that drawn from him fighting, at what point did his previous fights no longer hold merit? and true or false this is a common experience for many people.

hskwarrior,

Nice post. But I do not need an apology. Just do away with certain bs. Now go to hell, troll.

Lucas,
The amount of trained fighters back then was not like today. He fought in karate tournaments and street fights. These fights were with people who were in gangs, on drugs, and other violent people. When he trained he sparred with his training brothers ALL the time with everyone getting injured all the time.

Then he opened up his school and I guess he falls on the side of a fighter who did not know how to teach his students what he knew. Maybe I was harsh when I said the mma guys could run through him. I never had a doubt that he could fight. In fact I am positive, minus sickness and accumulated injuries over the years, he could KILL me and most people that threatened him. He is a dangerous dude but when he taught kung fu he taught a lot of forms and talked about hidden techniques, and meditating on the moves to get techniques out of them. This is how his teachers taught him but he was already fighting. Maybe this method works for people that already fight but not newbs. His teacher method was completely backwards from how he trained when he was younger. Lots of conditioning, sparring, fighting, iron palm, weapons fighting. Maybe he just got old and did not feel like doing it. I never asked him.

hskwarrior
11-04-2010, 10:41 AM
hskwarrior,

Nice post. But I do not need an apology. Just do away with certain bs. Now go to hell, troll.

i'm a troll on a roll peepin up the skeezers on the ho stroll.

Lucas
11-04-2010, 10:44 AM
hskwarrior,

Lucas,
The amount of trained fighters back then was not like today. He fought in karate tournaments and street fights. These fights were with people who were in gangs, on drugs, and other violent people. When he trained he sparred with his training brothers ALL the time with everyone getting injured all the time.

Then he opened up his school and I guess he falls on the side of a fighter who did not know how to teach his students what he knew. Maybe I was harsh when I said the mma guys could run through him. I never had a doubt that he could fight. In fact I am positive, minus sickness and accumulated injuries over the years, he could KILL me and most people that threatened him. He is a dangerous dude but when he taught kung fu he taught a lot of forms and talked about hidden techniques, and meditating on the moves to get techniques out of them. This is how his teachers taught him but he was already fighting. Maybe this method works for people that already fight but not newbs. His teacher method was completely backwards from how he trained when he was younger. Lots of conditioning, sparring, fighting, iron palm, weapons fighting. Maybe he just got old and did not feel like doing it. I never asked him.

gotcha. i think this is kind of common occurance too.