PDA

View Full Version : My Twins started Wrestling...

San Soo Sifu
11-04-2010, 10:15 PM
(I didn't know what folder to place this in, so I figured I would use the MMA folder.)

My fraternal twin sons started wrestling camp this week. The season will go through mid-February.

The challenge is being their father, friend, and coach... all rolled into one. I want them to try hard, but I want them to have fun too. At this point, it isn't about winning (they are only 5 years old). It is more about familiarization, safety, and having fun.

I, myself, started both high school wrestling and Kung-Fu San Soo when I was fourteen years old; way back in 1980. I started Kung-Fu San Soo slightly first, but decided to try out for the high school wrestling team as a freshman. My logic back then was that Kung-Fu San Soo would prepare me for a fight standing up; and wrestling would help me if the fight went to the ground. Yes, I figured that out on my own, at the age of 14 years old, back in September / October 1980.

My wife is Brazilian. So, I plan on giving my fraternal twin sons their rightful cultural heritage of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My wife has several uncles, great-uncles, and cousins (1st cousins and 2nd cousins) back in Brazil, who are high ranking in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and/or Kodokan Judo (or both).

The next 20 years should provide to be extremely challenging for me (provided I live that long). Mostly, I want to see them graduate college and grow-up to be men of great integrity and honor.

Syn7
11-04-2010, 10:27 PM
thats awesome... perfect time to start... so flexible at that age... i wish my parents had sent me to wrestling camps at that age... i didnt start till junior high...

Kansuke
11-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Very nice. If you don't let them worry about anything but the fundamentals for the next ten years you may not have to pay their way through college.

Dragonzbane76
11-05-2010, 04:11 AM
awesome,

sounds you describing your past sounds echoingly familiar with mine. :)

agree with kansuke if they balance out the basics now you might not be paying for college. :)

anyways hope it works out well...

(and it's not about winning, but you sure would like to see it) :p

Oso
11-05-2010, 12:53 PM
wrestling is good.