PDA

View Full Version : Bush: Kanye was worst moment of my presidency

MasterKiller
11-05-2010, 09:07 AM
According to George W. Bush, the worst moment in his presidency wasn't 9/11, nor Katrina, nor anything to do with Iraq, Abu Ghraib, etc. Nope. The worst thing that happened to him was when that Kanye called him a racist.

"I can barely write [West's] words without feeling disgust," the former president explains in a forthcoming book. "I faced a lot of criticism as president. I didn't like hearing people claim that I lied about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction or cut taxes to benefit the rich. But the suggestion that I was racist because of the response to Katrina represented an all-time low."

"I still feel that way," Bush told NBC's Matt Lauer. "I felt [that way] when I heard [those words], felt them when I wrote them, and I felt them when I'm listening to them." Bush also recalled telling his wife it was "the worst moment" of his presidency. "It's one thing to say, 'I don't appreciate the way he's handled his business,'" he said. "It's another thing to say, 'This man's a racist'. I resent it, it's not true."

"I wonder if some people are going to read that, now that you've written it, and they might give you some heat for that," Lauer suggested. "The reason is this ..."

"Don't care," Bush said, interrupting.

"Well, here's the reason," Lauer continued. "You're not saying that the worst moment in your presidency was watching the misery in Louisiana. You're saying it was when someone insulted you because of that."

"No, and I also make it clear that the misery in Louisiana affected me deeply as well," Bush said. "There's a lot of tough moments in the book."

BJJ-Blue
11-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Bush's policies were not in line with my beliefs at times, but I've always felt he is a good, decent, humble man at heart. So far from what I've seen from his book, I admire him even more.

Have you seen what he said about waterboarding?

David Jamieson
11-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Bush is now up there with Taylor Swift. lol

Well George, Teddy Roosevelt had the best presidency of all time, OF ALL TIME!

hee hee, I hope he's reading this. lol:p

BJJ-Blue
11-05-2010, 11:32 AM
More from President Bush:

"Former President George W. Bush says it was a "huge mistake" to let himself be photographed looking from Air Force One down at the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Bush reflected on the iconic photograph during an interview with NBC's Matt Lauer to promote his forthcoming memoir, "Decision Points." The photo was published widely and only reinforced the view that the Bush administration didn't act quickly enough or fully grasp the severity of the problems on the ground in New Orleans after the levees broke.

"Let's get to the picture that we may have seen more of you in the last couple years of your presidency than any other picture," Lauer said. "You're sitting in Air Force One, flying back toward Washington. You fly right over New Orleans and you look out the window."

"Yes," Bush responded. "Huge mistake."

The full Lauer interview airs 8 p.m. Monday night, with Bush's book hitting shelves the following day. But NBC released the following excerpt Friday:

LAUER: Yeah. And in comes the press and they take that picture. And it made you look so out of touch.

BUSH: Detached and uncaring. No question about it.

LAUER: Whose fault was it?

BUSH: It's always my fault. I mean I was the one who should have said, A, don't take my picture, B, let's land in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, C, let's don't even come close to the area. Let's -- the next place to be seen is in Washington at a command center. I mean, it was my fault.

LAUER: When the picture's released you write, "I immediately knew it was a problem."

BUSH: Of course. I'd been around long enough to know that when it was released. And the reason why we didn't land in Louisiana is because I was concerned that first responders would be pulled off their task and I'd be criticized. In retrospect, however, I should have touched down in Baton Rouge, met with the governor and walked out and said, "I hear you. We understand. And we're going to help the state and help the local governments with as much resources as needed." And then got back on a flight up to Washington. I did not do that. And paid a price for it."

Source:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101105/pl_yblog_upshot/former-president-bush-calls-katrina-photo-a-huge-mistake

It takes a big man to admit fault rather than just blaming others for your mistakes.

Syn7
11-05-2010, 04:19 PM
And the reason why we didn't land in Louisiana is because I was concerned that first responders would be pulled off their task and I'd be criticized.

so watching the towers fall didnt make him feel as bad as kanye saying "george bush hates black people"... he feels for himself first... he shows that again in the quote above... he isnt worried that taking first responders off saving lives would be counter productive, hes worried how bad it will make him look... the guy is pure selfish...

and bjjblue, ofcourse he is taking responsibility, he has no choice... this new book is all ego... he feels he isnt loved enough and he wants everyone to hear his side of it... rather than letting it go and moving foreward, hes gonna walk around dragging that huge cross...