PDA

View Full Version : Is The Album Becoming A Relic Of The Past?

Syn7
11-07-2010, 12:33 PM
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/15445/chart-watch-extra-is-the-album-becoming-a-relic-of-the-past

David Jamieson
11-08-2010, 08:19 AM
it's a cycle back.

it used to be that you could by vinyl singles more easily than you could get albums.

there was always tons of singles available and it was driven by radio!

albums became more popular in the 60's and 70's and throughout the 80's and 90's but with itunes and other dl sites, singles are popular again!

you can by those one or two songs by the artist that you like and you don't have to buy the creative "filler" that the rest of the album is made up of. :)

BJJ-Blue
11-08-2010, 08:38 AM
I have a dresser drawer full of 45s. I used to buy alot of singles during the 80s-90s. This one record store had them priced 3 for $5.

Vinyl is also making a small comeback. Some indie artists are still releasing albums on vinyl.

David Jamieson
11-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I have a dresser drawer full of 45s. I used to buy alot of singles during the 80s-90s. This one record store had them priced 3 for $5.

Vinyl is also making a small comeback. Some indie artists are still releasing albums on vinyl.

yeah because guys who "play" turntables love to use that in a live setting where scratching is...well, for lack of a better word, a new instrument.

they are preferred by MCs and DJ's because you can drop the needle exactly where you want and you don't have to search for the point where you want your mix to pull in that sample.

they aren't going to make a mainstream comeback seeing as nobody really sells turntables anymore and if you want one, you will pay through the nose for it. It's hard to even get good stylus anymore.

BJJ-Blue
11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
they are preferred by MCs and DJ's because you can drop the needle exactly where you want and you don't have to search for the point where you want your mix to pull in that sample.

I've always wondered how they do this and also how some people can 'read' vinyl records with the labels hidden. Can you explain how this is done?

David Jamieson
11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I've always wondered how they do this and also how some people can 'read' vinyl records with the labels hidden. Can you explain how this is done?

knowing where to drop the needle is as simple as watching and listening.

as for reading a record? I have no idea.

Syn7
11-09-2010, 10:55 PM

i can go buy any artist on the billboard top 200 on vinyl right now... singles, EP's and full length LP's... no sweat... everyone who is anyone still presses wax... you just dont see them at virgin super awesome omega store where all the little mall rats shop...

vinyl officially went out of style with dj's around the world when Rane perfected Serato Scratch... now its all MIDI timecode on master wax and a laptop... i can play any song from my laptop on a real techique 1200 mkII turntable with the same neddles i use for real wax, but i never have to change records, just leave the two on each deck and set up a playlist thru the laptop... it sounds like wax, as far as cutting, scratching, juggling etc etc... ofcourse mp3's are garbage, so u should use waves, cda or flac or some other uncompressed format...

Syn7
11-09-2010, 10:56 PM

um, nyo... :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
11-10-2010, 06:31 AM
um, nyo... :rolleyes:

clearly you are some new school laptop playlist editor as opposed to an mc. :p

Syn7
11-10-2010, 08:50 AM
clearly you are some new school laptop playlist editor as opposed to an mc. :p

its the future....

no.... im an old school bboy... ive watched it all change and re-create itself like four times now... trust me... wax is dead... it will only be around for like art f@g house dj's...

but i mean, if you cant cut scratch juggle etc, you arent a real dj... just a retard mixer, like all that electronic crap... it is an art in itself, but its just a cheap offshoot of hiphop in the end... some of it is tolerable... i liked mushroom jazz when it dropped...

the only thing the laptop does is provide the music... otherwise everything is done exactly the same as if it was wax... BUT, it does allow you to get creative if you are also a producer and have the ability to create or manipulate any track you want in the lab to have ready for showtime... i challenge anyone to point out the difference by just hearing it... its next sh1t... it takes live multitracking to a whole other level... i love it... wax is not needed... although i do still use it and have these creates crowding the place out...

Syn7
11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
nobody really sells turntables anymore and if you want one, you will pay through the nose for it. It's hard to even get good stylus anymore.

what?

1st result of like 10 billion matches on google:

http://turntable.com/category/turntables/

again

http://www.123dj.com/a_cartidges.html

and turntables are expensive because they are better, not because they are rare... old decks were belt driven and cheap to make... new decks, good decks, are direct drive... 0 to 33 in 1/4 turn, and with slip mats its instantaneous... thats why they are expensive... not to mention the tone arm, its come so far in the last 30 years...

ofcourse there is only one turntable worth buying... and that is...............................

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YFFP90N5L.jpg

David Jamieson
11-10-2010, 01:57 PM
online only. or in specialty shops, but you won't find turntables at your local stereo shop anymore.

+ 800 bucks for a technics? lol wtf!!!!!

direct drive turntables have been around for a long time actually, but yes, belts were more prone to problems.

when you used to buy a stereo, you would get a turntable with it or as well.

nowadays, forget it. You have to go online or to a specialty shop to find one.

anyway, I don't call scratching and mc-ing musicianship. I would put that closer to sound man because it doesn't require the skills of a musician so much as it requires audiophile knowledge and technical knowledge to make it work in a live environment.. but even then.

no offense to you mcs and djs out there working it, but, you ain't musicians you are controlling the playlist at the party. :D

GeneChing
11-10-2010, 06:40 PM
...I was the 'old skool' one because I was using cds. The others had all the music on their laptops. :rolleyes:

David Jamieson
11-12-2010, 08:54 AM
...I was the 'old skool' one because I was using cds. The others had all the music on their laptops. :rolleyes:

scratching don't work wit da cds.

GeneChing
11-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm really a selector, not a DJ. I got together with three of my Shaolin Rasta (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58144) bredren to select for a benefit Dub session for a mutual friend who had been diagnosed with cancer. We raised a few hundred for him. They all had Virtual DJ, and you can scratch with that.

Syn7
11-14-2010, 07:59 PM
online only. or in specialty shops, but you won't find turntables at your local stereo shop anymore.

+ 800 bucks for a technics? lol wtf!!!!!

direct drive turntables have been around for a long time actually, but yes, belts were more prone to problems.

when you used to buy a stereo, you would get a turntable with it or as well.

nowadays, forget it. You have to go online or to a specialty shop to find one.

anyway, I don't call scratching and mc-ing musicianship. I would put that closer to sound man because it doesn't require the skills of a musician so much as it requires audiophile knowledge and technical knowledge to make it work in a live environment.. but even then.

no offense to you mcs and djs out there working it, but, you ain't musicians you are controlling the playlist at the party. :D

i think you have a fundamental lack of understanding about what a turntablist actually does... but yes, some just play songs...

you shouldnt let ur bias lead you to assumptive falsehoods...

i play keys, flute, guitar, drums and i can wreck a 1200... it was easier to learn guitar and piano than it was to learn turntablism... drums are the hardest for me... weird since i dance, but it was tough to get my foot to play alopng with my hands... at first anyways....

Syn7
11-14-2010, 08:06 PM

yeah but were they mixing off their lappy with just a mixer??? or did they have serato or final scratch? coz thats a diff ballgame altogether... with serato, there is litterally ZERO difference in how you use the turntables than as if it was real wax... you still have a "record" turning at 33... all the hand manipulation still applies...

oh and david??? what about a one man band with synth??? is that a musician??? becoz synth is essential to any live stage production show...

ok so if you load drum hits onto the pads of something like an MPC and you go onstage and hit those pads in sequence to create a drum line, no samples, all fingers... is that a musician???

Syn7
11-14-2010, 08:10 PM
i'm really a selector, not a dj. I got together with three of my shaolin rasta (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58144) bredren to select for a benefit dub session for a mutual friend who had been diagnosed with cancer. We raised a few hundred for him. They all had virtual dj, and you can scratch with that.

cooome down my salectah!!!!

David Jamieson
11-15-2010, 08:24 AM
*snip*

oh and david??? what about a one man band with synth??? is that a musician??? becoz synth is essential to any live stage production show...

ok so if you load drum hits onto the pads of something like an MPC and you go onstage and hit those pads in sequence to create a drum line, no samples, all fingers... is that a musician???

You mean like Nash The Slash?

Is automated digital sounds gathered together and mixed musicianship? No. THis is what is called audio engineering.

Musicianship is a similar process, but much different from start to finish.

audio engineers can indeed be entertaining with their knowledge and yes, an engineer is essential to a decent live show, but is someone who plays someone else music, even mashed up a musician? I don't know about that, they are definitely a variety of artist, but are using audio as paint as opposed to creating the pigments that are the notes.

It is akin to comparing a painter to a photographer. Both are art forms, but the photographer is more reliant on a machine and without it loses the rank of artist, where as the painter can create in dirt on the floor.

Syn7
11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
You mean like Nash The Slash?

Is automated digital sounds gathered together and mixed musicianship? No. THis is what is called audio engineering.

Musicianship is a similar process, but much different from start to finish.

audio engineers can indeed be entertaining with their knowledge and yes, an engineer is essential to a decent live show, but is someone who plays someone else music, even mashed up a musician? I don't know about that, they are definitely a variety of artist, but are using audio as paint as opposed to creating the pigments that are the notes.

It is akin to comparing a painter to a photographer. Both are art forms, but the photographer is more reliant on a machine and without it loses the rank of artist, where as the painter can create in dirt on the floor.

no... ok i'll ask one question at a time and be specific...

ok im assuming we both agree that a guy who plays drums is a musician... any drums, hand drum, full set, whatever...

so if i load drum sounds on to pads and hit those pads, live in sequence, no sampling, all live and all real time, would that be a musician? if yes why? if no, why not? specifically....

ok go... you now....

Syn7
11-15-2010, 06:34 PM

yeah and a guitarist is nothing without his tool, is he not an artist? a drummer can catch wreck by slappin a table top... a pianist cannot... a pianist aint sh!t without keys... so is the drummer more of an artist???

GeneChing
11-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Believe me, none of us were that into the art of mixology (although one of my Shaolin Rasta (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58144) bredren got into it so much that he started doing some paid gigs for weddings and parties and such). We were just out to have a little fun with our music collections, and raise some money for our friend. :cool:

Syn7
11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
its a good gig... play favorite music, get drunk, get pus$y, socialize... some of my best memories are from running the circuit... i got to see places i wouldnt have seen if i hadnt been paid to go, either BBoyin or Djing... i got alot out of the experiences... and more women than you can handle... its disgusting how bar wh0res throw themselves at musicians of any sort... even as a BBoy... it was awesome at 22, now its almost annoying lol...

David Jamieson
11-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Syn7

First, a little levity.

Q: What do you call someone who likes to hang out with musicians?
A: A Drummer

:p

Of course rythym beat is key and of great importance. Percussion is an art form unto itself that can be without melody or harmony.

The pianist may not have a keyboard, but s/he can play in the mind. I suppose a drummer does this as well.

It's all expression.

Just call me jealous I guess. :)

Syn7
11-15-2010, 08:03 PM
im going somewhere with this... follow me... a guy who hits drum pads is very similar to a guy who used a keyboard to make percs... a guy who makes percs with keys is similar to what a guy who plays regular keys is doing... they are all musicians and they are all(so we hope) creating original sounds or sequence... now i dont know what you know about turntablism... but i can take ten of YOUR records and with a lil thought, i can present them to you in a manner in which you may not even know which record im using, yet rhyth is maintained, melody is created... and with more than one guy or a multitracker, sh!t dont get me started... that stuff was way harder to learn than guitar... guitar is freakin easy... piano is easy... drums are easy now at first they were so freakin hard tho... for me... all have potential to create new sound or sequence... original thought... its music, its art, they are all musicians...

Syn7
11-15-2010, 08:04 PM
jealous of what??? its just like MA's... it all comes down to hard work and creativity...

David Jamieson
11-16-2010, 06:13 AM
jealous of what??? its just like MA's... it all comes down to hard work and creativity...

jealous? because I've spent years honing my ability to play a few instruments and then some kid comes along with a lap top, a scratch mixer and a list of mp3s and in a hot year he's running the party. :mad:

lol.

This is why many musicians hate the direction of new music. lol