PDA

View Full Version : Royce vs Tyson?

qeySuS
05-10-2001, 04:01 AM
Ok a question for all you Gracie fanatics out there :) A guy that practices TKD with me happens to watcha lot of NHB and loves Kung Fu (he'll be going out to china for a year and is going to learn some kewl style). Anywho, he told me Royce Gracie challanged Mike Tyson to a match. Is he Bullsh*tting or did this happen? And if so what did Mike say?

One more thing is this just a publicity thingie? If he'd beat Mike it would DEFINETLY be in the news. On the other hand if he'd loose you would have to question the striking moves of some of the NHB competitors (since Mike is a class A striker and Royce class A grappler). Any thoughts on this?

Free thinkers are dangerous.

Martial Joe
05-10-2001, 04:11 AM
I would realy like to see it...
I think Gracie would win.

atsai
05-10-2001, 04:14 AM
I think Tyson would have bitten Royce's head off...

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art T " onClick="parent.location='mailto:arttsai@mediaone.net?subje ct=from kfo...'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

Archangel
05-10-2001, 04:26 AM
It would all come down to the inital clinch. Royce being 6'1 and 180 lbs would not survive a shot from Tyson, even a glancing one. Also, I'm guessing that Mike with his compact build and low centre of gravity would be difficult to take down, especially when he's throwing punches. Royce's BJJ takedowns are sub par at best and would have to be perfect in this fight.

I'm guessing, a grappling trained Tyson would send Royce to the hospital. If Mike had no grappling, I'd give a slight edge to Royce.

qeySuS
05-10-2001, 04:28 AM
M'kay sounds reasonable enough, but does anyoen know if the actual challange was made?

Archangel
05-10-2001, 04:40 AM
Tyson Never Responded. I believe the Gracies offered 1 million as the purse.

RENEGADE_MONK
05-10-2001, 04:41 AM
Your friend is right, however the challenge was not made recently, if i'm correct it was made during the early 90's, and was pretty much made because of the Gracie family history....meaning the Gracies have always challenged whomever was the Boxing Champion at the time going back to the Joe Lewis " the Karate Champion " days. so Royce's challenge was basically a mimick of what his dad did doing his time. Muhammed Ali was also challenged by the Gracies.

[This message was edited by RENEGADE_MONK on 05-10-01 at 07:54 PM.]

Je Lei Sifu
05-10-2001, 04:41 AM
Back in the early stages of the UFC, Royce challenged Mike and Mike did not accept the challenge.

Mike has more to loose than Royce does.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu :cool:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

atsai
05-10-2001, 05:13 AM
Didn't the he challenged Gene LeBell too?

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art T " onClick="parent.location='mailto:arttsai@mediaone.net?subje ct=from kfo...'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

frosh2786
05-10-2001, 05:22 AM
rickson could take mike out. so could vitor.

SevenStar
05-10-2001, 05:44 AM
The challenge was made, but that was years ago. Tyson never accepted, and righfully so. Royce wanted him to fight under his rules. If he was man enough to make the challenge, he should've been willing to fight boxing rules also. They coulda had two fights - one nhb style and one boxing. Either way, tyson would've dominated. he has to much of a power advantage, and as archangel mentioned, Royce has sub par takedowns. As for Rickson and Vitor, sure vitor can punch, against Lennox Lewis he may have a chance, but against Tyson??!??! LOL....he'd get mollywocked.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

qeySuS
05-10-2001, 05:52 AM
Heh Royce would be slaughtered in Boxing only :) I was doubtful how it might end in NHB rules :)

Martial Joe
05-10-2001, 05:57 AM
Agread...

Ralek
05-10-2001, 04:03 PM
SevenStar. Royce you want Royce to challenge Mike to a boxing match? With punching only?

Royce didn't challenge him to a fight with BJJ rules. Royce challenged him to a fight with NO rules. NO rules would favor the superior style.

Royce has fought several NO rules fights in challenge matches and he has easily dispatched a kung fu guy with 15 years training in a NO rules challenge. And Royce was out-weighed too.

But unfortunatley, as much as i like Royce i would have to say that Mike Tyson would beat him in a No rules fight today. Becuase unknown to many people, Mike Tyson trains grappling. He trains with Mark Kerr(Mark kerr is a pro NHB fighter and greco roman wrestler). Mike has even once considered doing NHB, but boxing pays much more. Boxing will have purses in the millions of dollars.

If Mike would have accepted Royce would have destroyed Mike Tyson. Tyson was ignorant of grappling back then. And Royce also beat the #10 ranked IBF heavy wieght boxer of the world(Art Jimmerson) in UFC#1.

But nowdays i think Royce would lose. And Royce is at a huge wieght disadvantage. And a huge strength disadvantage too. But if you put a gi on Tyson then Royce would win.

the running guy
06-24-2001, 07:44 AM
Mike Tyson has knocked out several fighters with only a couple of puches. If he can knock someone out with some thick padding around his knuckles, imagine what he could do bare fisted. All it would take would be a good right hook from "Iron Mike" to end almost anybody. I don't like mike Tyson really, but he does have incredible power.

Grappling-Insanity
06-24-2001, 06:22 PM
Tyson would knock out Royce. Think of the dammage just one punch would do. Rickson would have a better chance and I would have to put my money on him. Vitor would get wasted also. Vitor's BJJ is way to defensive. All this is considering Mike trained some ground for the fights.