PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day

BJJ-Blue
11-11-2010, 07:55 AM
To all those who have served and to those who are currently serving, thank you. Without you we wouldn't be enjoying the freedoms we have.

sanjuro_ronin
11-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Never have so many owed so much to so few....

Good words for us to remember.

As for myself and on a personal note:
My Dad served in Portugal during the african wars of independance ( Angola and Mozambique) and I served in Bosnia as a peacekeeper.

My Dad taught me many things, the most crucial is that War is NOT the answer nor the solution, though it CAN be the means to both IF there is no alternative ( case in point WWI and WWII).

My time in Bosnia showed me the hate and violence beget hate and violence, the fuel each other and that fuel either exhausts itself or is put out by compassion, love and understanding.

I had a few friends in the army but never really deep friendships ( I was a sniper and we tend to be, well...different) so I wish I could say that there was SOMEONE that touched me, but there wasn't, not an individual anyway but seeing my fellow Canadian Peacekeepers in Action, and our American Brothers along side us ( though not always physically), made me proud that a military force was protecting innocents and truly being what I always believed a military force should be: Protecting those that can't protect themselves.

sanjuro_ronin
11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
The traditional Poem we have here in Canada on Remeberance Day:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/In_Flanders_Fields_and_other_poems_page_3.png/342px-In_Flanders_Fields_and_other_poems_page_3.png

David Jamieson
11-11-2010, 08:30 AM
"happy"?

Remember, War is over if you want it.

solo1
11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
your welcome, US Army 80-83.

GeneChing
11-11-2010, 10:23 AM
My grandfather was a Colonel in the 100th in WWII. If you know your history, you know that was called the Purple Heart Battalion. One of my dearest possessions is my grandfather's purple heart medal, which he gave me as a child when I was way too young to truly understand it. It rests now above my ancestral altar.

MasterKiller
11-11-2010, 10:38 AM
My dad was Army Air Force in WWII. He basically nailed Hula girls in Hawaii for 4 years.

ghostexorcist
11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I just wanted to say Happy Veteran's Day to all of the forum's past or current soldiers and to the family members of those who may have served. I served in the U.S. Army 82nd Airborne Division from 2000-2003. I took part in O.I.F.

I went to a Veteran's Day ceremony at my university today. I got to shake hands and talk briefly with John E. Dilibois, one of the last living Nazi interrogators from the Nuremberg Trials. Unfortunately, I was under-dressed for the event. My past experience with such observances at other universities was rather casual, but this was far more formal. Let me just say out of all the people that had their picture taken with Mr. Dilibois, I was the only one wearing jeans and a t-shirt with a cow talking to a gallon of milk. I need to track down that photographer ...

lkfmdc
11-11-2010, 11:31 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-nxEYo24kRM/SRjKwzyTO1I/AAAAAAAAAN0/Ub6CpL1crTI/s400/courage.jpg

solo1
11-11-2010, 12:24 PM
My dad was Army Air Force in WWII. He basically nailed Hula girls in Hawaii for 4 years.

outstanding.

SPJ
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
a big salute to any one in uniform in the past or at present

:cool:

pateticorecords
11-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Happy Veteran's Day to all of my fellow comrades! Hooah!!!!!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for,
Is their monument to-day, and for aye."

Syn7
11-11-2010, 04:10 PM

now thats a tour worth signing on to.....

Drake
11-11-2010, 07:47 PM
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

RIP SPC Brown.

Syn7
11-11-2010, 08:45 PM
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

so true....

David Jamieson
11-12-2010, 08:03 AM
The most disadvantageous peace is better than the most just war. ~Desiderius Erasmus.

solo1
11-12-2010, 09:22 AM
spoken like a true Canadian.

BJJ-Blue
11-12-2010, 10:05 AM

A Canadian who obviously never heard of Neville Chamberlain.

David Jamieson
11-13-2010, 10:26 AM
au contraire, I am quite familiar with Chamberlain.

Do you think he was responsible for the rise of naziism because he took a diplomatic approach?

being a favourer of peace doesn't mean lacking in knowledge of why there is war.

To jump to war as the solution is teh net result of small mindedness and not correct mindedness.

which do you favour?

P.S Solo, don't be an ass hat, it's our forces that have held down the play strongly in Afghanistan for the most part so, take your statements and shove them up your ass.

thank you. :p

Syn7
11-13-2010, 11:28 AM

spoken like a true american...

not an original thought in sight:eek:

Xiao3 Meng4
11-14-2010, 07:44 AM
"It is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." - Abraham Maslow

Drake
11-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Spoken like a true Canadian. :D

"Thank you for saying to our friends in the United States of America, you are our ally, our neighbour, and our best friend in the whole wide world. And when your brave men and women give their lives for freedom and democracy we are not neutral. We do not stand on the sidelines; we're for the disarmament of Saddam and the liberation of the people of Iraq."

- Stephen Harper, Friends of America Rally, April 4, 2003.

dimethylsea
11-14-2010, 06:02 PM
To all the people past and present, who like failed the IQ test (Do you solemnly swear...?) .. better luck passing it the next opportunity :D

Drake
11-14-2010, 06:17 PM
To all the people past and present, who like failed the IQ test (Do you solemnly swear...?) .. better luck passing it the next opportunity :D

What are you talking about?

Syn7
11-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Spoken like a true Canadian. :D

"Thank you for saying to our friends in the United States of America, you are our ally, our neighbour, and our best friend in the whole wide world. And when your brave men and women give their lives for freedom and democracy we are not neutral. We do not stand on the sidelines; we're for the disarmament of Saddam and the liberation of the people of Iraq."

- Stephen Harper, Friends of America Rally, April 4, 2003.

harper is a retard.... well actually he's very smart, he's mensa alum... but what i mean is he's a douchebag waste of space neo con...

Syn7
11-14-2010, 07:56 PM
What are you talking about?

sounds like he's insinuating that soldiers arent smart enough for anything else???

well, those who know better, well, know better... :rolleyes:

dimethylsea
11-15-2010, 06:09 AM
sounds like he's insinuating that soldiers arent smart enough for anything else???

well, those who know better, well, know better... :rolleyes:

You ain't so good at that there new-fangled readin' are yu?

It works like this.. if someone says
"Do you swear to honor your father and f*ck your mother?" then you can reasonably say that anyone who says "YES" is not being especially smart.

If someone offers you a two part oath where the parts contradict one another.. then a smart person (one who is "passing the IQ test") will say "No thanks" and move on.

I'm ashamed to admit I failed this test on the first try (I said yes).. but I passed it on my second attempt (no thanks!). I wish all persons who take the test a passing grade on their first attempt, or better luck on their subsequent attempts.

sanjuro_ronin
11-15-2010, 07:31 AM

We are re-known for being peackeepers and some of the best snipers in the world.
Canadians are brave and honourable in our military heritage.
I am a Canadian by CHOICE and I did my part BY CHOICE.
Some of us believe in a higher ideal for the military.

BJJ-Blue
11-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Do you think he was responsible for the rise of naziism because he took a diplomatic approach?

He was not responsible for the rise of Naziism, however, he was responsible for the spread of Naziism. He sold out his allies to a mass murdering dictator in order to achieve "peace for our time" and failed miserably.

Drake
11-15-2010, 08:51 AM
You ain't so good at that there new-fangled readin' are yu?

It works like this.. if someone says
"Do you swear to honor your father and f*ck your mother?" then you can reasonably say that anyone who says "YES" is not being especially smart.

If someone offers you a two part oath where the parts contradict one another.. then a smart person (one who is "passing the IQ test") will say "No thanks" and move on.

I'm ashamed to admit I failed this test on the first try (I said yes).. but I passed it on my second attempt (no thanks!). I wish all persons who take the test a passing grade on their first attempt, or better luck on their subsequent attempts.

Why don't you just say what you have to say? Reading requires that the writer clearly and concisely state their point, not beat around the bush with metaphors.

You did fail a test, alright. That much is true.

dimethylsea
11-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Why don't you just say what you have to say? Reading requires that the writer clearly and concisely state their point, not beat around the bush with metaphors.

You did fail a test, alright. That much is true.

Can't get your head out of your mil.spec box can you Drake?

THINK about it. I know military intelligence is an oxymoron and all but surely you can dredge up some tiny bits of subtlety to apply to a puzzle...

David Jamieson
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
He was not responsible for the rise of Naziism, however, he was responsible for the spread of Naziism. He sold out his allies to a mass murdering dictator in order to achieve "peace for our time" and failed miserably.

OK, so you're saying that the PM of England who actually declared war on Nazi Germany allowed the spread of Naziism to take place.

Hmmmn, that's some pretty interesting yet weird logic you are trying to peddle there.

I have an idea, before you name drop and make up history to serve some weird ass bluebj agenda, maybe you could do some light reading first...just to be in the know. lol

seriously dude, this line you are touting is major fail.

Chamberlain, like all of Europe was duped by Hitler and Mussolini. It was Britain, under Chamberlain who went to war with Nazi Germany upon their aggression and attack of Poland.

Don't forget that following ww1, the map of Europe was rewritten and the Germans were put as a serious disadvantage which is what really helped Hitler rise to power. That and some huge financing from your favourite family amongst others. :rolleyes: