PDA

View Full Version : The importance of strength and power in kung foo

kungfoozer
11-12-2010, 07:26 AM
IMPO it is far better to concentrate on the above two attributes more so than sensitivity and form. Don't ignore sensitivity drills and forms but spend more time on developing strength and power.

Meet the next Brock Lesnar of kung foo. After you see the flip for the first time fast forward it a little to get to other things. This kid is a genetic freak strength wise and has a big advantage if he keeps developing it.

MightyB
11-12-2010, 07:57 AM
I agree to a point.

I've been in this discussion before. I call it the Hard vs Soft and Tea Drinking Kung Fu.

See, in Kung Fu, we hear about the two approaches - gong, and yao. Masters talk about yao because it's very high level. They especially talk about it after class when they're in tea drinking discussions with students... I forgot the Chinese name for the after class party / theoretical discussion time... but that's when we hear all of the glorious stories of the past masters and hear the advanced theories of TCMA. One such saying is that you use yao to control gong, but you use gong to kill.

What happens is the students obsess over the soft approach, because it's high level. Using no strength, sensitivity, use the opponent's power to overcome the enemy...

What they forgot is you must first learn and master gong before you begin yao. You cannot skip gong! Yet, they want to skip gong because yao is the secret high level kung fu.

Sooooo we end up with flowery fists and embroidery kicks. Paper tigers. Weak men of kung fu.

David Jamieson
11-12-2010, 07:57 AM
yes, guts first, then power and stamina, then technique. that is the order.

otherwise, your link fu is sketchy. :p

kungfoozer
11-12-2010, 08:01 AM
I posted a video but for some reason it didn't go up. Here it is.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1923475

Peaceful Orchid
11-12-2010, 09:47 AM
What he looks like is a potential elite gymnast.

kungfoozer
11-12-2010, 10:07 AM
What he looks like is a potential elite gymnast.

Or a potential wrestler

Peaceful Orchid
11-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Or a potential wrestler

Considering the fact that his dad is teaching him gymnastics moves and not wrestling, gymnastics would be the better bet.

Shaolin
11-12-2010, 11:14 AM
So explain to me how a back flip off the table translates to combative skill.

SPJ
11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
other than working on or honing on specific skills/strength for a particular technique

general fitness or conditioning is required

such as jump rope, weight training, and/or walking 5 miles or more a day etc etc

if you may not win the fight, you may always out run the opponent, right?

:)

kungfoozer
11-12-2010, 12:19 PM
So explain to me how a back flip off the table translates to combative skill.

Broha,

I asked you to fastforward past the backflipping. Dang, man.

Back flipping doesn't have any combative application unless your are avoiding a roundhouse kick(saw this in a movie). But the strength training has more application than say...forms.

Shaolin
11-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Broha,

I asked you to fastforward past the backflipping. Dang, man.

Back flipping doesn't have any combative application unless your are avoiding a roundhouse kick(saw this in a movie). But the strength training has more application than say...forms.

My apologies. I'll rephrase. How does gymnastics translate to combative skill. One can be as fast as Usain Bolt, as agile and quick as Chris Johnson (Titans) or as strong as Sawao Kato (76 Olympics), but it doesn't mean any of them could fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

kungfoozer
11-12-2010, 04:44 PM
My apologies. I'll rephrase. How does gymnastics translate to combative skill. One can be as fast as Usain Bolt, as agile and quick as Chris Johnson (Titans) or as strong as Sawao Kato (76 Olympics), but it doesn't mean any of them could fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Since the original topic was about strength and power I'll talk about the last guy you mentioned. I would rather have the strong Japanese guy on my side in a fight over someone who was not strong. People that are strong ie, from lifting boxes, furniture, etc know how to use their bodies in ways that many martial artists cannot. Especially those martial artists that don't believe in conditioning or say they do and don't actually do it. If the guy who lifts heavy boxes all day grabs a hold of you you'd better watch out.

Shaolin
11-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Sounds like a typical American mindset. "If I'm big and strong I can win fights." Personally, I disagree with this concept.

TenTigers
11-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a typical American mindset. "If I'm big and strong I can win fights." Personally, I disagree with this concept.
nah, I've met Euros who think like that too...

kungfoozer
11-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Greater strength trumps 10 good techniques every time. This is not politically correct but stronger people are better fighters in general. Strength and power aren't everything but all things equal between two opponents stronger beats weaker.

YouKnowWho
11-12-2010, 10:00 PM

Not only American mindset but Chinese mindset as well. Old Chinese saying said. "Your strength can defeat 10 of your opponent's best techniques."

Old Chinese saying also said, "Chinese wrestling is a sport of strength". This kind of mindset is different from Judo, "Use the minimum effort to achieve the maximum result." The difference here is that Chinese believe when 2 person are on the same skill level, it's very difficult to borrow force. If you can't borrow force, you can't throw your opporent effortless. It's very common that 2 good wrestlers wrestled for 2 hours, nobody could throw the other.

Shaolin
11-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I was referring more to the individuals (meatheads) that believe that because they are larger in stature in comparison to their opponents that they magically posses combative capabilities and are guaranteed the victory.

I agree with the idea that if skill sets are equal then the person with the better physical characteristics will more than likely prevail. But if the comparison is between skill/knowledge vs. size/strength, then I believe skill/knowledge would win.

Drake
11-13-2010, 09:31 AM
False choice fallacy. If you work hard, you can have *gasp* power AND technique! Of course both are important, and you should never lean on one. If you hit like a little sissy man, sure, your proper waist torque might give you a bit of extra oomph, but it won't hurt me.

Physical fitness, on a comprehensive level, is far more important than form. ESPECIALLY if you are a small person to begin with. So get out there, do some pullups/pushups/Crossfit/P90X (or whatever)/Cardio and get rid of the beer gut. It's embarassing to see fat "sifus" who rely on their technique to somehow win in battle.

And yeah, having a gun will protect you on TEH DEADLIEZ STREETZ, but it won't lower your cholesterol, keep you from getting diabetes, or stop that impending heart attack.

bawang
11-13-2010, 12:42 PM
when earth dragon said ``oh those 80 pund stone dumbells in traditional kung fu, they not for training strength, theyre training special inner strength and tendon strength.`` it made me rage and smash my keyboard to pieces.

bawang
11-13-2010, 01:36 PM
chinese martial art culture has changed a lot in the past 100 years. after half the country got addicted to opium and prostitutues, it sapped all the strength and manliness out of us. its shadow can even be felt today, where chinese city culture ,is a more feminine and impotent counterfeit version of american culture.

what i dont get is why american kung fu people want to imitate that.

traditional chinese martial art DEMANDS physcial strength and power. weakness is unacceptable. purposely avoiding tough and bitter strength training, and trying to justify being weak is unforgivable.

anyone that says being weak and sickly in chinese martial arts is ok, he is an infiltrator, a cultural hijacker. he is an enemy of chinese martial arts.

Yum Cha
11-13-2010, 02:15 PM
chinese martial art culture has changed a lot in the past 100 years. after half the country got addicted to opium and prostitutues, it sapped all the strength and manliness out of us. its shadow can even be felt today, where chinese city culture ,is a more feminine and impotent counterfeit version of american culture.

traditional chinese martial art DEMANDS physcial strength and power. weakness is unacceptable. purposely avoiding tough and bitter strength training, and trying to justify being weak is unforgivable.

anyone that says being weak and sickly in chinese martial arts is ok, he is an infiltrator, a cultural hijacker. he is an enemy of chinese martial arts.

The Master has spoken. I smashed my gonads with a brick when I read this in solidarity.
...a bit of opium would be nice about now.... I'll pass on the pro....

Yum Cha
11-13-2010, 02:23 PM
A fighter has three assets:
- strength and conditioning
- skill and technique
- heart and commitment

any two will beat one.
any three will beat two.
any one is defeatable.

This is pretty much conventional wisdom, and universal across any style.

gee, almost sounds like 'game theory'.

Eric Olson
11-13-2010, 02:34 PM
On the street/battle field, speed is the most important factor. If you get stabbed, who cares if you're strong and powerful....just sayin'. Think about samurai sword fighters, they trained for one hit, one kill. One slash with the samurai sword and you were done.

EO

Yum Cha
11-13-2010, 03:25 PM
On the street/battle field, speed is the most important factor. If you get stabbed, who cares if you're strong and powerful....just sayin'. Think about samurai sword fighters, they trained for one hit, one kill. One slash with the samurai sword and you were done.

EO

What is speed?

First attack aggression?
adept counter attack?
evasion?
combination delivery speed?
running away speed?

Combat speed is the offspring of mobility, perhaps that's what you are talking about?
Mobility is a lot harder to develop than speed for most TCMA. One of the missing links as far as my experience goes. The skill you practice in forms, but have to learn to apply dynamically. An edge many sport fighters have in spades, I'll add as a nod in that direction.

---

When you talk about sword fighting, you are spot on, its the one hit, one kill mentality.

The Hakaguri (I believe) calls it Domination and Crease, the visual engagement and evaluation of your opponent, and the crease of the brow that signals the attack.

Some TCMA call it Tiger Eyes or something like that.

This topic is near and dear to me.

Its about making a committed, aggressive and violent attack until there is no resistance - to the point of grabbing the opponents hair and banging their head against a wall until the weight of their limp body pulls it from your bloody grip. Nothing elegant about it. There is no hesitation, no retreat, no quarter and no mercy. I'm only in this place because you forced me, and I will end it, or you will end me.

You seek an advantage on the engagement (what a luxury - the bigger the better), then you commit to the attack, under an advantage, until you are expended, or your opponent is finished. The shorter the engagement, the less of an opportunity for your opponent to overthrow your advantage. You take it and you drive it home without hesitation.

Perhaps strength and power of spirit?

bawang
11-13-2010, 03:40 PM

EO

RONG
in ancient times u wear something called armor. u need strength to pierce the armor

PalmStriker
11-13-2010, 04:04 PM

Agree 100%.

Drake
11-14-2010, 10:42 AM
My first teacher would teach me strength and technique. Once he thought I was good enough, he'd either attack me, or have someone else attack me, and I could only use what I've learned to defend myself. I was either successful or I got my ass kicked.

Pretty simple. My pain tolerance went through the roof.

Syn7
11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
a little bit off topic here... but did anyone click the "***** power" video that came after the gymnastics video... fukcing hillarious... but no less true and observable in daily life...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1754914

Syn7
11-14-2010, 02:28 PM

a gymnast whos been training their whole life would destroy the average MA geek... no question..

ShaolinDan
11-14-2010, 03:24 PM
a gymnast whos been training their whole life would destroy the average MA geek... no question..

I kind of agree. This is one of the reasons I don't believe in looking down on modern wushu. Much higher fitness level than most tma...

Hardwork108
11-14-2010, 03:32 PM
IMPO it is far better to concentrate on the above two attributes more so than sensitivity and form. Don't ignore sensitivity drills and forms but spend more time on developing strength and power.

Meet the next Brock Lesnar of kung foo. After you see the flip for the first time fast forward it a little to get to other things. This kid is a genetic freak strength wise and has a big advantage if he keeps developing it.

This is a good point, because lets face it, no matter how sensitive and clever a child is, he can easily be owned by a stronger adult. Using this fact as a "bench mark", one can create a logical mindset for his training, within a TCMA context.

Of course, one must also consider the question of what happens when two people of comparable strength, power and intention, fight each other. That is when sensitiviy, "softness" and "listening" abilities will make the difference. Actually, they will make a difference even if one of the fighters is a bit weaker than the other.

The moral of the story is that one must develop maximu power, but should make it "soft"/"relaxed", while at the same time develop his "listening" abilities, in line with the principles and concepts of his given style of TCMA.

That is, create a balance between his Yin and Yang abilities.:)

Yum Cha
11-14-2010, 04:30 PM

I used to run into this thinking on the soccer field, playing with fat, smoking Germans against Americans who could, to a man, run sub 50minute 10k, and many did marathons.

Didn't apply to soccer...

Syn7
11-14-2010, 04:31 PM
It's embarassing to see fat "sifus" who rely on their technique to somehow win in battle.

im so tired of these frauds... i wont even go to a fat doctor... are you fukcing kidding me??? fat sifu are not sifu at all...

Syn7
11-14-2010, 04:34 PM
I used to run into this thinking on the soccer field, playing with fat, smoking Germans against Americans who could, to a man, run sub 50minute 10k, and many did marathons.

soccer is graceful thats why... graceful fighting has its place, but ugly ogre strength has a place too... in soccer you dont grap the guy by the scruff and swing till he stops moving... i dont care what yuou know, if he's too big, he's too big...

im a small person, i have to put in alot of work if i want to dominate people who are healthy and outweigh me by 50 pounds...

Syn7
11-14-2010, 04:39 PM

ive asked myself some of those same questions.... but i guess all the people ive seen go down hard with the faith in their art shattered went down becoz they didnt know teh realz kung fu like HW learns...

Hardwork108
11-14-2010, 04:53 PM
ive asked myself some of those same questions.... but i guess all the people ive seen go down hard with the faith in their art shattered went down becoz they didnt know teh realz kung fu like HW learns...

True. That is why I recommend people who can't find realz kung fu training, like I was lucky enough to do, to go to a realz karate dojo, or failing that, to "hop" (;)) along to a realz kickboxing, BJJ or MMA gym, just like most of you lot already have. :D

Yum Cha
11-14-2010, 05:00 PM
soccer is graceful thats why... graceful fighting has its place, but ugly ogre strength has a place too... in soccer you dont grap the guy by the scruff and swing till he stops moving... i dont care what yuou know, if he's too big, he's too big...

im a small person, i have to put in alot of work if i want to dominate people who are healthy and outweigh me by 50 pounds...

Yea, fair enough, size and strength advantage is huge. But, any trained fighter has a like huge advantage over an untrained fighter.

A gymnast though? Never seen a really huge one of them, and their mechanic is all different, not to mention the actual combat training they lack.

Syn7
11-14-2010, 05:19 PM
no their strength is something else altogether... but their general level of fitness would most likely be significantly higher...

yeah ok a gymnast without a fighting bone in their body can't beat anyone up... but a gymnast with a hardcore attitude to his training and a warriors spirit will destroy...

i was in gymnastics from 5 years old till about 13... in wrestling in the 8th grade, i cant tell you what an advantage that was for me... i could do back handsprings down the mats and cap it with a sic layout... what i really wish is that it was BJJ i learned in school aswell... i love wrestling, but if i had started bjj while i still had that mobility and flexability, man i hate to think of the window i missed with that one...

but as a grappler and as a fighter i still find advantages from simply doing 8 years of gymnastics as a kid...

even in things as simple as hiking, i still have that nimble foot... its probably why i am a B-Boy too... sure wish i could still move like i did back then tho...

Syn7
11-14-2010, 06:56 PM
a little bit off topic here... but did anyone click the "***** power" video that came after the gymnastics video... fukcing hillarious... but no less true and observable in daily life...

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1754914

please tell me im not the only one who thought this video was awesome.... u can make a drinking game for everytime she says "pen1s"... this sh!t is priceless... you gotta watch the whole thing... and shes dead serious, even when she talkin bout the back door...:eek:

"dont just let any man hit the bottom of your vag!na, oh no, thats too much power."

sanjuro_ronin
11-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Yep, I used to play on a first division team as a junior back in Portugal and in my home town the old guys were part of a 3rd division team, they used to play with us kids once a month and they would be playing WHILE smoking and some even running with a bottle of beer or whiskey or wine !!!
LMAO !!
They never got tired and always played well.

sanjuro_ronin
11-15-2010, 07:23 AM
As for this thread:
My humble opinion is in my sig line, how YOU get there is up to you.

kungfoozer
11-15-2010, 07:34 AM
im so tired of these frauds... i wont even go to a fat doctor... are you fukcing kidding me??? fat sifu are not sifu at all...

Fat sifus make bad training partners and coaches. But let's be honest here. Do you all expect your old sifu to work out with you? No way. He's going to sit on the side and give pointers depending on how old he is. It doesn't mean he NEVER had skills just that he's aged and fatter.

David Jamieson
11-15-2010, 08:14 AM

Fat is a gauge of lacking skill now? Because someone is fat they don't know what they are doing now?

No offense, but you are closing doors on yourself.

What do you expect to learn that is better because it came from someone who wasn't fat?

It's such a weird connection.

P.S, I use this guy all the time, but hey, Angelo Dundee is fat, and short and old. But that didn't stop him from training Muhammad Ali and it didn't interfere with Ali's ability to learn from him.

Point being, don't let your own un-based prejudice close doors in your face before you even know there is a door there.

sanjuro_ronin
11-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Fat sifus make bad training partners and coaches. But let's be honest here. Do you all expect your old sifu to work out with you? No way. He's going to sit on the side and give pointers depending on how old he is. It doesn't mean he NEVER had skills just that he's aged and fatter.

That would depend on their age, You don't always see boxing coaches in great shape and some of the best are in "lousy shape".

Iron_Eagle_76
11-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Fat is a gauge of lacking skill now? Because someone is fat they don't know what they are doing now?

No offense, but you are closing doors on yourself.

What do you expect to learn that is better because it came from someone who wasn't fat?

It's such a weird connection.

P.S, I use this guy all the time, but hey, Angelo Dundee is fat, and short and old. But that didn't stop him from training Muhammad Ali and it didn't interfere with Ali's ability to learn from him.

Point being, don't let your own un-based prejudice close doors in your face before you even know there is a door there.

Gotta agree with this. When looking for martial arts instruction, many people window shop and see who looks like the best instructor. Now I am of the mindset that an instructor should have some level of fitness because they have to show students hands on how things are done, but that doesn't mean they still have to be in pro fighter level shape.

Knowledge is what a good instructor should offer, nothing more. You could have a top instructor in any discipline and if someone does not have the heart and will to put the time, blood, sweat, and tears in, it won't matter.

You can show someone the path, but the journey is up to them.:)

goju
11-15-2010, 08:40 AM
depends what you define as fat

fedor and and big country are chunky and id learn form them

if they are full blown gargantuan then probably not

Hardwork108
11-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Yep, I used to play on a first division team as a junior back in Portugal and in my home town the old guys were part of a 3rd division team, they used to play with us kids once a month and they would be playing WHILE smoking and some even running with a bottle of beer or whiskey or wine !!!
LMAO !!

Not to forget the Brazilian ace, Socrates from 1982's fantastic World Cup squad, used to apparently smoke at least two packs a day.....and yet, he was who he was! :cool:

David Jamieson
11-15-2010, 12:26 PM
I think if a guy is fixated on classical body tone, then he is immature and not really a seasoned learner. Seriously.

If you think someone athletic can get up to fighting speed shorter than anyone else, well, you are wrong. Being athletic doesn't give you any edge whatsoever if you do not have the will to actually fight.

Someone who is athletic and does have the will to fight is probably already into combat sports in some way anyway.

I have encountered many many guys who were strong, could lift well and a lot and were in great shape.

they couldn't mix it up worth squat though.

Looking like you can do has nothing to do with being able to do and quite often we are somehow surprised by just how fit and ready some guys are that should wash away the silly ideals of boys and turn our eyes into a mans eyes and allow us to see real ability where it is.

In terms of mma, fedor is a good example of a pretty normal looking dude who will destroy you. Sakaruba was another one and there are numerous examples of guys of all different shapes and sizes who were the deadly at their game or are now.

there are an equal amount of buff dudes out there who have terrible records and can't fight.

don't get stuck in that trap, you could miss out on getting some great info from an equally great teacher and for what? Because your brain is washed with magazine glitz and juvenile sexuality? :p

Drake
11-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I love how the fat folks here start getting defensive. :D

Obesity is a disease. It's not a product of age. It's not a product of "taking it easy". It is a product of poor nutrition, poor discipline, and poor self-respect, as you apparently do not mind breaking down your own body.

Defend it all you want. That's why it's a pandemic. Funny thing is, it's the biggest medical plague we've had in centuries, and it is 100% self inflicted. Stop making excuses. Lose the weight, fatty.

Oh, and since someone brought it up, obesity is defined by body fat %, not BMI (designed for sedentary people) or "looking big". Some island folks look huge, but are actually very muscular.

David Jamieson
11-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Obesity is a disease. It's not a product of age. It's not a product of "taking it easy". It is a product of poor nutrition, poor discipline, and poor self-respect, as you apparently do not mind breaking down your own body.

Defend it all you want. That's why it's a pandemic. Funny thing is, it's the biggest medical plague we've had in centuries, and it is 100% self inflicted. Stop making excuses. Lose the weight, fatty.

Oh, and since someone brought it up, obesity is defined by body fat %, not BMI (designed for sedentary people) or "looking big". Some island folks look huge, but are actually very muscular.

why, who's fat here? I mean I've seen recent pics of a few of the guys who think it's bollocks to assume someone doesn't know something or can't teach it because they carry a few extra pounds and they aren't fat themselves.

Nobody is defending obesity here Drake. May as well defend cigarettes or alcoholism or Meth addiction.

yes, obesity is a problem, but we're not talk about that and everybody who carries a bit of fat isn't necessarily obese and isn't necessarily unhealthy and isn't necessarily incapable of handing you your ass in a teacup.

carrying extra weight is not a problem in my opinion and it is a product of aging. Many of the folks here who are in the over 45 category understand it.

Anyway wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive article on adipose tissue and it's function.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipose_tissue

Being thin is not necessarily being healthy or fit or in shape. Ya gotta open your mind a little.

sanjuro_ronin
11-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I-m 5'6" tall and weight 178lbs and I am obese by the BMI standards.
I don't know what my BF % is and I don't care.
I have 16.5" arms, 26" thighs, 33" waist and 42" chest, 17" neck.
I have a gut :)
It is mine and I am proud of the beers it took to get it !
I can Deadlfit 375lbs for reps, dip with 100lbs, chin with 75lbs, squat over 300lbs for reps.
I can run the 100 in under 11 seconds.
If I wanna go long distance I take my freaking car !
I can polish a whole bottle of wine and not get tippsy !
I have been known to please multiple women, at the same time, twice !
I AM CANADIAN !!!!
:D

David Jamieson
11-15-2010, 01:33 PM
*snip the personal stuff*

*snip more personal stuff*

I AM CANADIAN !!!!

As a Canadian that's pretty standard stuff on the CV. I mean after 18 you have to meet these requirements to get your license right? :p

sanjuro_ronin
11-15-2010, 01:58 PM
As a Canadian that's pretty standard stuff on the CV. I mean after 18 you have to meet these requirements to get your license right? :p

That and have, at least once in your life, tamed the rare and very dangerous shaved beaver.

Iron_Eagle_76
11-15-2010, 02:11 PM

http://popculted.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/i-beat-anorexia-stomach.jpg

Lucas
11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
its funny how the chick is wearing only lingerie. lol

thats a twofer, good job iron eagle. :cool:

MightyB
11-15-2010, 02:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mkl9rtttog

Drake
11-15-2010, 05:02 PM
I-m 5'6" tall and weight 178lbs and I am obese by the BMI standards.
I don't know what my BF % is and I don't care.
I have 16.5" arms, 26" thighs, 33" waist and 42" chest, 17" neck.
I can Deadlfit 375lbs for reps, dip with 100lbs, chin with 75lbs, squat over 300lbs for reps.
I can run the 100 in under 11 seconds.
I AM CANADIAN !!!!

I rough estimate shows you'd be pretty good by tape test BF methods.

Violent Designs
11-15-2010, 05:05 PM
LMAO !!
They never got tired and always played well.

ur from Portugal? never knew

Hardwork108
11-15-2010, 07:48 PM

I have done that too, on many occassions. It is very easy, the more you pay them, the more pleased they get.:D

I AM CANADIAN!!!!

Hey, what happened to your Portugueseness?:confused:

Yum Cha
11-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I AM CANADIAN !!!!

Me too, you make it sound hard...

Just drop off the take away, then go out to the pub!

I AM AUSTRALIAN!

Syn7
11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mkl9rtttog

thats funny sh!t....

look, im not saying gymnastics makes you a great fighter... lol

its more of a comment on how high i value the strength and conditioning required to be a good gymnast and how low i rate the AVERAGE martial artist as a real fighter... my point being that a really healthy fit and strong person can run circles around and run right thru your average mcdojo wannabe...

ofcourse a trained competition fighter or real street fighter will destroy any gymnast that doesnt know how to fight...

Syn7
11-15-2010, 08:35 PM
and when i say fat.... i mean FAT... not a bit flabby, somewhat chubby... FAT... theres absolutely no excuse for that... and its ok, in america you have every right to be as unproductive as you want and every right to not come anywhere near your potential, if you dont care thats fine(assuming you dont expect me to pay your fatman health bill bullsh!t), but a "master" can perform... otherwise at best you used to be a master...

as far as coaching, lots of 'has beens' or 'never was' type cats can give you invaluable assistance... but they cant do it alone because they cant perform themselves in order to facilitate the training... hence bringing in outside talent for sparring partners and the like...

donjitsu2
11-15-2010, 10:12 PM

EPIC.

Someone needs to compile a book full of Bawang's little nuggets of wisdom. Kind of like Bush-isms. We'll call them Bawangisms.

Humble Servant
11-16-2010, 11:17 AM

Obesity isn't a disease. Obesity is a choice. Some people have diseases that lead to obesity, but it's not technically a disease. Those people are far and few between. I agree mostly with what you're saying, but not the statement that it's a disease.

Drake
11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Obesity isn't a disease. Obesity is a choice. Some people have diseases that lead to obesity, but it's not technically a disease. Those people are far and few between. I agree mostly with what you're saying, but not the statement that it's a disease.

No. Obesity is technically a disease. Google it, for crying out loud.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I rough estimate shows you'd be pretty good by tape test BF methods.

Unless you are fine looking woman, you can take your measuring tape somewhere else mister !

Drake
11-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Unless you are fine looking woman, you can take your measuring tape somewhere else mister !

I can be a fine looking woman if you want. A little makeup, trim some of the hair off, a little tucking in, and you got yourself one hot mistress.

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
I can be a fine looking woman if you want. A little makeup, trim some of the hair off, a little tucking in, and you got yourself one hot mistress.

*shudders*...the horror...the horror...

sanjuro_ronin
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
ur from Portugal? never knew

Born in the city of Aveiro, south of Porto and raised on a beach community of Costa Nova :)
Came over in 86 and chose to become a Citizen.
So, technically, I am a Luso-Canadian !!