PDA

View Full Version : Spend time training instead of bickering

WCFighter
11-14-2010, 02:54 PM
I try not to come on this forum too often since most
times there are people trolling to trash wing chun, or wing chun people doubting their own wing chun (usually people who are new to wing chun and haven't been learning long), or wing chun people bashing other wing chun people due to differences of their systems.

Just spend more time training in your system, and little to no time on this forum.
Accept that there is no pure wing chun lineage, and accept that there is variety.
Try to figure out how to handle all different types of attacks (from different systems out there) using your lineage's wing chun, and get really great at it. Have friendly matches against other systems to test yourself.

Speaking for myself, I am not trying to become the best fighter in the world... I just want to be able to be a "HANDFUL" to anyone that tries to hurt me or my family and friends. I don't want to be an easy victim.

If you want to learn ground fighting, learn from a master that teaches that.
If you want to learn knife and stickfighting, then learn from a master that teaches that.

There are many language dialects out there that are offshoots of main languages.
There are many religions out there that are offshoots of main religions.
People have different tastes in music.

Telling someone that their martial art lineage (wing chun or other style) is inferior to yours is like telling them that their religion sucks, or that their taste in music sucks.

These are very personal things (religion, taste in music, favourite martial art), and
making comparisons, or insulting these things is a personal attack.

People like what they like.

With wing chun, focus at the task at hand, and train with all your heart. Ignore
the naysayers in the internet forums, and eventually you will have some serious skill.

After all, you're training in a martial art system for you, right? Who gives
a crap about people who try to insult or discourage you.

dirtyrat
11-14-2010, 03:01 PM
This is good common sense or should be.

Wayfaring
11-14-2010, 11:14 PM
STFU noob?

I keeed, I keeed.

mjw
11-15-2010, 09:15 PM
well put :D

YungChun
11-15-2010, 11:55 PM
If you want to learn ground fighting, learn from a master that teaches that.
If you want to learn knife and stickfighting, then learn from a master that teaches that.

Muay profundo..

Sounds simple enough doesn't it?

Telling someone that their martial art lineage (wing chun or other style) is inferior to yours is like telling them that their religion sucks

Yes indeed because much TMA training is like a religion isn't it?

No, nothing wrong there.. :eek::rolleyes:

Don't question, don't think.. Just have faith! Takes care of just about any problem one might encounter doesn't it..?

With wing chun, focus at the task at hand, and train with all your heart. Ignore
the naysayers in the internet forums, and eventually you will have some serious skill.

Yes ignore anything that might challenge your "faith"... Otherwise you might discover there's more to it than "faith"; that there's more to be learned outside the "church compound"...

Put those fingers in your ears, sing a loud song and don't stop until these outside "forces" get the message and leave you to your "inner truth"... A sure way to keep ideas out that might not jive with your 'religion' and your cult leader's teachings...

Yes, you've found the true path to inner growth and "skill"... not to mention free Kool-Aid..congratulations... :o:eek::rolleyes:

Pretty much sums up 90% of what's wrong with TMAs.. Very nice..

WCFighter
11-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Perfect example of a troller : Jim Hawkins

His quote:
"
Yes ignore anything that might challenge your "faith"... Otherwise you might discover there's more to it than "faith"; that there's more to be learned outside the "church compound"...

Put those fingers in your ears, sing a loud song and don't stop until these outside "forces" get the message and leave you to your "inner truth"... A sure way to keep ideas out that might not jive with your 'religion' and your cult leader's teachings...

Yes, you've found the true path to inner growth and "skill"... not to mention free Kool-Aid..congratulations... :o:eek::rolleyes:

Pretty much sums up 90% of what's wrong with TMAs.. Very nice..

"

Hey Jim, if you don't like TMAs, then stay out of this forum.

If you read my post , you'll notice that I said focus on your training in wing chun, test yourself against other styles using your system, and if you want to learn groundfighting then seek out a qualified master in another system.

What's wrong with that?

The problem with new people, in any martial art, is they sometimes don't stick around long enough to get really good at that style IF they have people like you making snide remarks about the style they are training in. My advice is to keep training hard, ignore the morons, and pretty soon , they will have pretty good skill (Provided that their Sifu knows how to fight practically, and can teach well).

YungChun
11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
IF they have people like you making snide remarks about the style they are training in.

Your problem is that you can't tell the difference between "snide remarks" and valid criticism..nor apparently the problem (and absurdity in truth) in comparing a TMA to a religion..or the difference between "liking" an art and seriously discussing it. If we "like" an art, if we are trying to improve the art then unlike "liking a favorite food" we must be prepared to take criticism, look at what's wrong with the state of the art, with it's practitioners and how to improve it, etc..

It's not all about a mutual admiration society or dividing up teams using the absurdly simplistic idea of "those who like it" and those who "don't like it.." again like a favorite food.. :rolleyes: This shows you don't get it...

I do Chun so I must "like it"... I have made lots of serious posts concerning Chun--you, not so much.. So you're in a pizz poor position to tell anyone to stay out of the forum or call me a troll..since you apparently can't grasp these issues.

Do you even do Chun?

Tom Kagan
11-17-2010, 06:12 AM
The irony involved in starting this thread is not lost on me.

WCFighter
11-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Jim,

Yes I do "chun".. going on 16 years now.

I never said WC is a religion.

I said people have their own religion (maybe), they have their own taste in music, they have their particular language, they have their own political view, they happen to like and train in a particular martial art, and when other people make fun of any of these things, it is very rude, and is a personal attack in some ways.

"Keep insults to yourself, and leave people alone to do the things they like to do" ... is the main message I am saying here.

Since many people on this forum are negative, for their various reasons, I am simply suggesting to people to spend more time training, and less time on the internet.

Tom Kagan
11-17-2010, 08:49 AM
I am simply suggesting to people to spend more time training, and less time on the internet.

I post between rounds and sets. What's your excuse for poor time management?

LoneTiger108
11-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Since many people on this forum are negative, for their various reasons, I am simply suggesting to people to spend more time training, and less time on the internet.

It's very hard to NOT feel negative when there seems to be a core group of MMA players rubbishing Wing Chun on this forum, almost on a daily basis. Even if they are Chunners, they do a bit of MMA too and still rubbish large areas of Chun that I feel they may have little or no knowledge about at all.

It's all well and good offering your "ADVICE TO BE NICE" but I have also felt the need to bite back now and again, possibly because I'm still relatively young compared to some of the Old Boys here! :D

I also wouldn't dare to presume that posting here is detrimental to your own training.

Sometimes I have been inspired to train that little bit harder, but I have never felt like slowing down just because of the cr4p I have read on here, especially considering most of my posts are during quiet spells at work ;)

Debates are good for everyone. But I take your point.

Train Hard. Talk Hard. :cool: